Routers

Judas

How well does (cordless)routers work with on-line gaming? Is there a difference between DSL and Cable? My m8 tells me he cant use his route rto play games since he disconnects and stuff like that. He can surf the net without problems yet when he play games he disconnects. I got cable and im considering to get a router but if I cant play on-line with it I wont.

Both Linksys and Netgear are now offering wireless products specifically for gaming. So it can work. However, with standard 11b/11g kit - I've read about problems with Live! at least - your best bet is to ask in the official MS Live! Forum - there were several threads regarding problems in there, so I'd hazard a guess that someone could give you particular examples.

I've got a Sweex Broadbandrouter on a ADSL-connection (1024 down, 300 up) with my Xbox and 2 PC's connected, and it works without any problems. The only thing to note is that you'd better not use any intensive internet-software on your PC while playing online, because downloading some big files while playing will definitely affect performance. This is NOT a wireless router though...

I have a Cisco 1605 (dual Ethernet) router. It was an absolute fucker to setup, as it was running a very unusual verion of IOS. In the end it took 2 days to get the bugger working properly.

Dlink/Netgear/Linksys et all are for pikeys. ;)

I have a belkin 4 port BB router, which i use with 2 pc's and ps2 and xbox, and although working now again, like someone said above - was a complete fucker to setup.

The time it took my router to accept the connection from my NTL BB was unbeliveable.

But, its working now...

...and its great.

D

also, nap. above is so right in saying that if your doing anything other than light browsing on your pc's it can effect performance online. although in saying that, we've successfully ran 2 ps2''s online together with no problems at all.

2 days ? ;)

Netgear. 5 mins. Including unpacking. Around 7 mins from start to signing into Live...

Can't think what's cool about having to fanny around with archaic Cisco IOS. Nope. Nada.

How much of the 40 quid a year is 2 days? Titter.

;)

Yes, but now it's working it completly shits over all the cheap routers everybody else here uses.

2 days  ?    ;)

Netgear. 5 mins. Including unpacking. Around 7 mins from start to signing into Live...

Can't think what's cool about having to fanny around with archaic Cisco IOS. Nope. Nada.

;)

Yes, but now it's working it completly shits over all the cheap routers everybody else here uses.

Erm, shits on them how?

That router is designed for networks that are a wee bit bigger than one or two PCs and some consoles...

2 days  ?    ;)

;)

Erm, shits on them how?

That router is designed for networks that are a wee bit bigger than one or two PCs and some consoles...

Main plus point for me (apart from being free), is the ability to have a proper VPN setup. Also when I pull my finger out and get around to doing it, it will allow me to setup a DMZ for my own email server.

I also like the QoS (Quality of Service) features, meaning I can prioritise certain network traffic, usefull when doing heavy downloads, but still need responsive net access.

Main plus point for me (apart from being free), is the ability to have a proper VPN setup. Also when I pull my finger out and get around to doing it, it will allow me to setup a DMZ for my own email server.

I also like the QoS (Quality of Service) features, meaning I can prioritise certain network traffic, usefull when doing heavy downloads, but still need responsive net access.

I work with CISCO kit on a regular basis. Every week. And I hate IOS. It SUCKS. In fact, I can't think of one reason for it, other than to keep Cisco engineers in jobs. Ahem.

Hehe. Ooh. My router has a DMZ. Oh, and QoS - but I even dare you to attempt working with it. VPN? Got that too. In fact, it also emails my PC when there have been DOS attacks etc, along with a daily SysLog, and is UPnP compliant. It can have 254 PC's connected. Not that even I plan to do that... :lol:

And mine still took less than 7 mins to get online.

Sheesh.

Free is good though, of course...

I work with CISCO kit on a regular basis. Every week. And I hate IOS. It SUCKS. In fact, I can't think of one reason for it, other than to keep Cisco engineers in jobs. Ahem.

Hehe. Ooh. My router has a DMZ. Oh, and QoS - but I even dare you to attempt working with it. VPN? Got that too. In fact, it also emails my PC when there have been DOS attacks etc, along with a daily SysLog, and is UPnP compliant. It can have 254 PC's connected. Not that even I plan to do that... ;)

And mine still took less than 7 mins to get online.

Sheesh.

Free is good though, of course...

I completly agree with you on IOS, I hate it, probably more than anything else in my job. :D

QoS is usefull, as long as you treat it a some sort of deadly animal that you really don't want to poke too much in case it turns round and attacks.

The whole 2 days thing turned out to be because some supposed Cisco expert had installed a wierd version of IOS on it and had then played around. I did not realise this and spent ages trying to configure it for my needs, before just flashing and starting from scratch. :P

C&P from my post in ATF:

Just everyone shut up and buy this.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...=48449&offset=0

4 port router AND an ADSL modem.

I have it linked with 2 PC's and 2 xbox's which is connected to this through a 1mb bb connection.

It has an input for your phoneline (for bb) 4 ethernet ports and a USB port effectively making it a 5 port router.

Don't look at the price and think oh no, don't think i'm wasting my money on that, I nearly did but i'm glad I diddn't. Absolutely zero problems so far, not even minor ones.

If you want a good router which also acts as a backup/primary modem and works with XB live get this. To top that its dirt cheap too. ;)

C&P from my post in ATF:

Just everyone shut up and buy this.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...=48449&offset=0

4 port router AND an ADSL modem.

I have it linked with 2 PC's and 2 xbox's which is connected to this through a 1mb bb connection.

It has an input for your phoneline (for bb) 4 ethernet ports and a USB port effectively making it a 5 port router.

Don't look at the price and think oh no, don't think i'm wasting my money on that, I nearly did but i'm glad I diddn't. Absolutely zero problems so far, not even minor ones.

If you want a good router which also acts as a backup/primary modem and works with XB live get this. To top that its dirt cheap too. :blink:

Links dead mate, whats the model, etc?

I use a D-Link DI-314+ and it's totally ace - although the XBox and PS2 both plug straight into it and it's only the PCs in the house that connect wirelessly.

here it is

So with that great little doohicky, you can have PC's Wireless in the house and at the same time have consoles plugged phyiscally into it so they'll all work and stuff with no switching around?

Yes, and that's exactly what I've got set up at home.

• 3 weeks later...
does the speed of your pc affect the performance of the router?

I say this because my pc's well.. just a bit crap.

460mhz pentium 3 with 128mb ram

and the broadband isn't really great either - the lowest that ntl(<_<) do.

I'd really like pso for the gc you see.

No I think your router is a seperate entity kinda thing. And anyway the spec of your PC is pretty good, good enough to be able to maximise the potential of broadband connection probably.

If you want a good router which also acts as a backup/primary modem and works with XB live get this. To top that its dirt cheap too. :D

Links dead mate, whats the model, etc?

I'll probably get this one as well... looks perfect for the job and a bit of a bargain.

Anyone else have experience with it?

(Oh, just type 48449 into the sites quick find code search)

could you reccomend a real-world retailer where i could purchase a dirt-cheap router?

Do you live anywhere near Sheffield? Because thats where Ebuyer are based.

I would guess that if you turned up to their office you could buy from there. I'm not sure.

Why don't you just buy it from the net?