IGNORED

Rayman Legends - The Legends are coming! September (360/PS3/WiiU)

mr_woo

This really is a fantastic platforming game. Have been playing co-op over the past couple of nights and it's so entertaining. A lady friend played mostly as murphy whilst I played as Rayman (just unlocked the mario costume, which made me smile).

There's a co-op mode? Sounds good. My girlfriend's been asking after this game as her sister has it, and she did enjoy playing NSMBU together, so I'm moving towards a purchase. Gotta have something to play on the Wii U, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Got 48/50 achievements in this now, and the last two are a really disappointing grind. You need to reach the last level of awesomeness for one, which apparently requires 6,000 points. Beating the game entirely nets you around 4,000, and so the rest have to come from the daily challenges. If you average a gold and silver cup every day, you will still have to play every single day for about twenty weeks to get this achievement, which is pretty bollocks.

The big problem is that the daily challenges aren't fun. There's only a few kinds and I don't know how randomised the courses are but it certainly feels like once you've played a type once, you've seen literally everything it has to offer. I felt like this mode had run its course by the end of the first week, I don't think I can stomach twenty more.

Having played this over the last few days I can say I've quite enjoyed it. Some of those invasion levels can go and die in a ditch though! 40 seconds is one hell of a tight time to hit. Also for one of the first times ever I'm oddly compelled to complete all the levels with full Teensies.

Also how in the name of god do some people get such crazily fast times in the daily challenges?

Trouble is, everyone who has a Wii U who wants to buy this will buy it in the first week, because it's been touted as the great hope for ages. Owners of the other platforms won't really know about it outside of reviews and word of mouth. Will be interesting to see how quickly sales fall on each platform.

So did this happen then?

It appears to have sold piss all on everything

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rayman+legends

Zombi U has sold twice as much as that so maybe they should have relaesed it in April on its own on the poor dead Wii U, when no one had anything to buy

Exactly! Lego City's sold five times that.

So all the people who were going IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE were wrong.

I have wondered just how many games have actually done better after going multiplatform...

GTA 3 was a paid exclusive, but pretty much everything I can think of has got worse sales.

Goldeneye 007 remake, Spyro... Need to think of others!!

I wonder if exclusivity gives a title more desirability. If this was released in April, you would have had people shouting about it on the Wii U. The fanboy's proclaiming it as a must have title.

Now it's on everything - that means it's open to more competition for your cash. "Wait, I can get it for the PS3 too? What should be my PS3 purchase this month? should I get GTA? Fuck it... GTA it is."

Instead if "there's one wii u game out this month. I need to justify my Wii u purchase. Sounds awesome. I'll buy it."

Not only that, you've now got Mario 3D coming up as well as W101 and Pikmin 3 as competition on the shop shelves.

Ubi Soft really fucked up this one... Pity as it is a good game.

Truly saddens, I hope it doesn't spell the end of 2D Rayman. (Or Rayman overall, they did get rid of him for rabbids games for years :( )

Especially on possibly the highest note of the series overall, sheer content-wise.

• 1 month later...

Is it any different?

From Eurogamer:

Each next-gen console will get its own uniquely branded skins. On Xbox One there's Splinter Ray, Ray Vaas and Globox Vaas - i.e. costumes based on Splinter Cell's lead and Far Cry 3's mohawked antagonist - while PS4 owners get Assassin Ray. Both consoles will be able to purchase the new Funky Ray costume with Uplay points.

Additionally, the Xbox One version of Legends will feature 10 exclusive challenges to unlock new time-limited Achievements, while on PS4 players will be able to use the DualShock 4's touchpad to scratch Lucky Tickets as well as the usual PS4 features like video sharing and off-screen play with the Vita.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else feel this game wears out it's welcome after a while? There's almost too much content in it and rather than a steady difficulty curve most of it is quite straight forward with the occasional difficulty jump that requires precognition to complete without a handful of "unfair" deaths.

Plus, having to earn things to unlock stages... I mean, I'm a couple of blue whatevers away from opening the final stage so it's no biggie, but I like to unlock everything THEN go back to find the goodies.

This *thing* in gaming where the entire game is held together by having to unlock stuff is pretty irritating. I want to be able to explore additional content in a way that I see fit, not have it act as a roadblock to the rest of the game.

I found I was unlocking the next world naturally as I moved from left to right, depends how many Teensies you're rescuing as you go though I guess. And that was without really touching any of the Origins levels.

In terms of difficulty it is easier than Origins overall, aside from one or two of the levels in the last world.

Ah, Teensies is what they're called...

I would get at least 6 Teensies per stage on average and found myself a little behind the curve when it came to unlocking and I've been doing the Origins stages. I wonder if I've missed a chunk of levels in one of the worlds or something? I'll have to investigate.

Ah, Teensies is what they're called...

I would get at least 6 Teensies per stage on average and found myself a little behind the curve when it came to unlocking and I've been doing the Origins stages. I wonder if I've missed a chunk of levels in one of the worlds or something? I'll have to investigate.

I might be misremembering it then. Tbh I haven't really played it loads; my 3-year-old was more into it than me.

• 3 months later...

I only bought this two weeks ago on the cheap for Argos. In desperation on getting some use out of the PS4.

Great game, loads of content, this is the best game available on the PS4 bar-none. Its FINISHED, polished, optimised, runs like a dream, no loading screens.

Such a pleasure to play something that is actually feels complete. Like the old days of gaming with the best of the Japanese coders making games like Ridge Racer, Tekken, Street Fighter, its not been pushed out the door incomplete and buggy, unlike just about anything on the PS4 right now.

Bravo.

EDIT * MODS * Why doesn't this thread appear when you search for it using the Search on the forum? Had to use Google to get here!