Day Z, The Road with Zombies

James Ape

So much fun this afternoon, running north with a friend and we make it to the military base south of the airfield, strip the place clean and as we're about leave to the airfield 3 bastards appear and shoot me. Bleeding I retreat round a wall and bandage while my partner in crime kills on fool. 3rd person feels like such a hack as I can see everything outside the wall, he turns his back to me so I pop out and unload an entire 30 round clip into his sorry arse. The last bloke had just an axe and just ends up running in a straight line at us, he gets a shot to the head and I would say we check the spoils but every one of the cunts alt f'd.

Can neither confirm or deny that myself and Sie were held up last night in zeleno and forced to remove out trousers. I was also made to swap my cool motorcycle helmet for a pink cap :(

There was also the random Chinese twins, consumption of a rotten banana out of desperation and a butch lesbian......

Thank god we weren't recording...

Arrrrrghhh! I logged in south of Vybor, completely tooled-up. Started running south to save a dying rmg in Zeleno. Reached Kabanino. Realised I'd run north-east instead of south west. Swore profusely. Headed towards Zeleno. Rmg died. Carried on towards Zeleno. Arrived. Met up with Anth, Sponge, Sie and Mamma's Boy. Saw a random running down the road. Told him to stop. Tried to hand-cuff him. Shot him when he ran away and took out a gun, after freaking out about me trying to hand-cuff him. Harvested his gear. Met up with Mark and Dave. Headed towards Balota to meet Raane and rmg, in a Mighty Ducks flying-V of death across the fields. Quack, quack, quack. Raane met us halfway at a house where we'd stopped to force-feed Mamma's Boy spaghetti and soda to keep him alive. I ran towards a tree for cover, just as Raane was swinging his axe. I'd run behind him, knowing that Raane likes to swing his axe at things, but the point on the back hit me in the face on his back-swing and KO'd me. Died. Waited for them to loot my corpse. Stayed on mumble, listening to them bicker over who got my can-opener and shirt. MY SHIRT. Animals.

I'm so sorry Foxy, it only got worse, I gave a gun to a bambi as a gift of trust and friendship... He shot two of us.

Did mug two more people for their blood, so Mammas Boy should be able to see colour when i get to him, assuming i give him a compatible bloodtype.

Dark Souls represent! Anyway, you categorically should not be playing Day Z with a controller.

Why not? The game clearly isn't about aiming all that much. I played yesterday for 3 hours and didn't aim (or even hold) a gun once. Also, if any of us are planning on getting steam boxes, this is something we're going to have to get used to.

No aiming in Dayz! :) Hehe

And no I wont be getting a steam box.

But seriously, Dayz is often slow paced, but when it comes down to it it's based on a realistic Military sim, that models weapon accuracy, zeroing and bullet drop. Quite often you only have time for one shot, you gotta make it count or you back to the coast my friend.

I'm so sorry Foxy, it only got worse, I gave a gun to a bambi as a gift of trust and friendship... He shot two of us.

Did mug two more people for their blood, so Mammas Boy should be able to see colour when i get to him, assuming i give him a compatible bloodtype.

Yeah new rules, give ammo or weapon, but not both. Ideally not either, but give them something useful instead. Especially if they've helped by "donating" blood or just amusing us (we also made a guy have a bare knuckle fight with one of our group).

I actually felt quite bad when we killed female Raane. It looked like she had a rifle on her back, but it turned out to just be an axe. My bad. Still, it's helped my indecision about how I want to play the game. More than happy to engage hostiles or actively pursue suspected assholes but I don't think ambushing and killing randoms is really how I want the game to play out. Mainly because I fucking hate it happening to me, so it's a bit hypocritical to do it myself.

Never give guns or ammo. Ever. Give food or clothes n' shit but handing out guns - as beautifully demonstrated last night - is the worst idea.

Also take into account that I have been left with deep emotional scars after being shot the way i was last night. I may be prone to shooting anyone we encounter on sight regardless of if they are armed or not.

Dark Souls represent! Anyway, you categorically should not be playing Day Z with a controller.

Why not? The game clearly isn't about aiming all that much. I played yesterday for 3 hours and didn't aim (or even hold) a gun once. Also, if any of us are planning on getting steam boxes, this is something we're going to have to get used to.

I would make the argument that the controls are very integral to the feeling the game creates. The inherent learning curve and clunkiness they provide really adds to the experience. Not to mention at some point you are going to need to aim and the thumb-sticks don't have the precision required to do so. The engine models real bullet physics and provides 0 auto-aim.

The steambox and controller is not going to replace kb+m. There's no need to get used to anything.

I'm getting angry about this just reading it.

He was fine though, he ran off. We ran off. We then gunned down his friend in cold blood (my fault for misidentifying an axe as a shouldered weapon, but we should/could've made contact first, it was 6 v 1 after all) so he followed us and attacked. Seems fair to me in the circumstances.

How the hell do you survive in this? I barely get started and every time a zombie is sprinting for me before it's in my view. I tried crawling out of a house with 2 zombies out on a field with their backs to me and they still come sprinting for me. I had a screwdriver as a weapon which seemed to be less effective than my fists. I don't remember the mod being this hard. All I want is something to drink. :(

RUN! Run for your life!

Played for 2 hours on a server I didn't see any zombies. Eventually died of starvation also with serious sickness (I eventually ate a rotten banana because I couldn't find anything) and thirst as all I could find were 2 cans of cola. :(

I did find a fresh banana but as soon as I reached I lost connection with the server and it spawned me quite a bit back.

Also I was being hunted presumably by a sniper. I managed to escape him.