Day Z, The Road with Zombies

James Ape

Yep. Literally just keep drinking the water until it says your stomach is full. Also, the loot only spawns when the server restarts, and the high-population towns will get picked clean pretty quick. Find a road that leads away from the coast and follow it to a town. You basically want to stock up in all the shitty towns that you'd usually avoid.

This is brilliant. After a few aborted attempts where I'd either die of starvation or be pked near the coast I've headed inland. I'm currently cowering in a shed in one of the towns south of Stary Sobor with a crowbar and a backpack full of canned food I can't seem to open.

My plan is to skirt round the south of SS and head for the military base to the NW, hopefully scavenging some supplies from the smaller settlements along the way. It's terrifying and I love it.

Well, I took the advice from this thread and here is how I got on today.

First attempt - Spawned in Kamenka (I think) and I rummaged through a few houses but decided to head west since I haven't been that far. Great idea because it turns out that is a dead end. Next I attempt to head inland but there was no path near me so I took a chance, legged it in the hopes I would eventually stumble into somewhere, even a road. By the time I found somewhere, I was almost dead of starvation after running through fields, and forests, more fields and more forests. I seriously underestimated the size of this game. I also got myself locked in a room. I closed the door because I suspected someone or something was near but when I went to leave, the door wouldn't open. After a few minutes I eventually glitched out of the room only to die of starvation minutes later.

Second attempt - I rummaged through houses wherever I spawned then decided to hit the road inland. I ended up at a small town and at this point I discovered I could rip t-shirts into rags. Great, I am prepared for the next time a zombie wounds me. I found a can opener, finally. I am surprised by a zombie when opening a door, there it was and hits me. This time I haven't got a weapon but I remember I beat a zombie to a pulp one time so I thought I would try that. It didn't work.

Third attempt - The shortest of attempts. Looking for stuff in a barn and I thought it was safe to just drop down to the lower have of the steps rather than go down them. I'm dead.

Fourth attempt - I spawn in Elecktro (or something, damn Russian names) and I'm a little nervous because I remember from the mod that this was a prime location for picking off the weak. I have a quick look and again I decided to head inland. The first time I found a map! I noticed bits of the map were cup off and it wasn't until later when I got my second map that I realised the first one I had was a map of the east side. I ended up with north, north west, south, south east maps. Early on I had some hits from zombies but took care of it with some t-shirt rags. I eventually found a med kit with supplies but then things start getting a bit screwy. I'm unable to take anything out and put them in my bag (I had plenty of room.) I decide to disconnect and rejoin another server. When I do, I'm bleeding! I take care of it but by this time I have lost quite a bit so my vision is a little blurry. I've been a little cocky now that I got a fire fighter's axe and busting into to houses expecting no one since I have never seen a zombie in houses yet, until I opened a door and one staring right at me and makes and screams. I had the volume up a bit loud so I did shit myself. I was able to get my axe out in time and kill it before it done any damage to me. Lesson learned, don't bust in and have your weapon handy. I eventually found a can opener, but my bag is full so after carefully deciding to drop a drink to grab the can opener, it disappeared, and so did the drink... I scavenge town after town until I eventually find a military base and I find all sorts so now I am properly equipped with new clothes with more pockets, assault vest, fire fighter axe and an M1. And yes, I finally got that can opener, no more spilled beans.

I had to end it there because it was starting to get all screwy as I couldn't remove the axe from my hand so hopefully when I next time I don't log on to being attacked by zombies. I only saw players early on but otherwise I didn't bump into anyone, fortunately. I did hear a few people eating or drinking near me and at the military base I heard someone loading a weapon so I was shitting myself at that point. Time flies when playing this game and this was probably the most fun and success I've had playing DayZ. Well, only second to that time I played the mod with my brother and some guy beat us both up with a wrench at night time.

Went up to the camp at the north of the NW airfield earlier to do some looting. Got shot going into a tent, managed to bandage myself and made a break for it. Did a wide flank and finally found the guy lying down on the second floor of one of those camo bunkers.

He was just camping up there. Finally got a shot on him , but he either logged off or his body disappeared. I suspect he was server hopping just staying up there. Pretty lame.

Went up to the camp at the north of the NW airfield earlier to do some looting. Got shot going into a tent, managed to bandage myself and made a break for it. Did a wide flank and finally found the guy lying down on the second floor of one of those camo bunkers.

He was just camping up there. Finally got a shot on him , but he either logged off or his body disappeared. I suspect he was server hopping just staying up there. Pretty lame.

Combat logging.

Going to pick this up once I am back home from visiting family. Do you have a choice of what server you can join or do you get randomly put into one? Think if a few of us gathered up somewhere and formulated some form of a base be a good idea.

Do you have a choice of what server you can join or do you get randomly put into one? Think if a few of us gathered up somewhere and formulated some form of a base be a good idea.

You can pick a server. And there's a Friends tab/filter. Click it and it will only show servers that your steam friends are in. Or, if you just click 'Play' at the main menu, it probably just puts you in the last server you were in or a random one.

A base is the long-term aim, but at the moment it's all short-term stuff. The problem is, things like tents aren't enabled yet, so you can literally only store stuff on your person. Our sessions so far have been about meeting up, finding some weapons, looking for fun. It's basically PvP until the zombies are upped and tents/vehicles are enabled.

Still surviving from when I a few days ago. I think I'm roughly 8 hours or so but I haven't had much contact with players, I think that I'll try and keep it that way but I still need blood since being attacked by a few zombies in my first hour so I think I'm going to try a one man hold up to get blood. I'm not looking forward to it but I am almost ready to hold up someone. Now I need some handcuffs, keys and and blood/saline bags.

EDIT: Does anyone know what this means from a DayZ wiki?

"A map of Chernarus+ can be found as Loot in DayZ Standalone which then can be accessed using the M key by default. Maps are one of the most sought after items in the game. They don't use up usual Inventory slots, but go into the tool slots below the sidearm slots. However, they use 1 inventory slot when stored in the backpack."

I can't seem to move them out of inventory slots and the M key doesn't bring up the map. I thought it was for the mod but it specifies at the top that this is for DayZ standalone.

A mini patch!

New:

Design: Balancing of player spawns (ongoing)
Server: Enhanced Server-side security & customization options
Design: .357 Magnum Speedloader should now spawn
Server: First Person only servers are now supported (Seperate Hive coming later on)

Fixed:

Design: Player corpses should no longer despawn upon disconnect
Server: Respawning should now function properly - in some cases you may have to wait a few seconds. (during high death/respawn times)
Design: 357 Magnum spawning fixed

Nice. Will there be a filter to show first person servers? I think I might try that out. I feel like first person will make the game more intense but there was no point when someone could use third person to see you round a corner.

Oh, and I eventually died. :( Got sniped on my way to Cherno.

The new graphics certainly impress but, as Fox has mentioned, you still need to make your own experience. That was great in the beginning but once you've discovered and become adept with all the mechanics then there's precious little left to achieve. I want to play the game that Rocket still has in his head. Which, given his past progress, means I'll be checking in nearer the end of the year.

I tried playing this game at night.

Nope, nope, nope.

EDIT: I died again earlier today. I'm not totally sure what happened. I was searching some barracks between towns when I nearly did the biggest shit of my life when a zombie came towards me half under the floor. She ran straight past me. Then I got the "connection stop receiving" or whatever so I jumped on another server, I'm back at the shore. -.-

Right off the bat, another new spawn is there so we talked a bit (I think he was French) and went looting together, best of buds... until he nose dived off a roof. With no time to mourn during a zombie outbreak, I quickly got down and took everything he had gathered in the 10 minutes we had become friends.

I haven't played this for a week or so now. Mostly because I kind of felt like I might burn out if I play too much before new content is added and also because whenever I've looked none of you others have been playing!

Played this with a friend last night, he managed to glitch himself through a wall on the first floor of a house in Zelenogorsk and fell to his death. He respawned on the east coast so I decided to go and search for his body and salvage his bits. After a half hour journey there and much rummaging around I turn a corner and I see his body on the other side of a fence. But...

post-1633-0-53173300-1388953711_thumb.jp

:hmm:

Also came across this horrific sight in one of the prisons last week!

post-1633-0-03525800-1388953766_thumb.jp