Day Z, The Road with Zombies

James Ape

Sure is, if you can find the parts, you can repair most vehicles

That's pretty epic. I generally struggle to find anything of interest. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places though. I went into one of those barns with three levels and instead of checking just the obvious areas, I had a look behind the bales of hay and found a sniper rifle. Made me think I've missed out on many items because I haven't been as thorough as I should.

I swear people were whinging (not that you're whinging moose) about the same thing on a server I was on a couple of nights ago. When I had just found a winfield and ammo. Patience is the most important trait to have in this game.

The debug monitor should show how many spawned zombies there are on the map.

Yeah, it was at 600 and then it just kept going down as people killed them. When I played this morning I found loads of stuff, and even this afternoon I found a sniper rifle (which is fucking awful as when you zoom it skips about all over the place, even when stationary) but after that literally nothing until I found one can of food in a shed in the middle of nowhere.

I can see this game really grating on some people. I've not even played it but from the amount i've read and watched I feel I have.

I can't wait for a few Modern Warfare types to give it a go. I'd love to hear a reaction out of one of those.

The thing is it's entirely in Alpha, and if you don't get that then you're going to get pissed off really easily. It's difficult to distinguish what's the problem with the ARMA engine and what's the mod because there's barely any game there. It's like Minecraft when it was released; there's the structure of something great, but some people are going to be left wondering what's the point. If they keep on at it and keep adding stuff (as they seem to be) then it will be something spectacular. Whether it'll get there and when I don't know.

I can't wait for a few Modern Warfare types to give it a go. I'd love to hear a reaction out of one of those.

There's been plenty already.

I'm on my second life still, after my first was so kindly taken away from me. I'm in it to survive for as long as I can. There's a leaderboard, so in a way you could count that as a goal.

As I'm sitting under a tree for an hour waiting for the rain to pass, I'm watching the news feed and seeing the same names getting killed over and over. I swear some people were dying 15 times in a few hours. It's not quite death a minute CoD, but it's not playing into the concept of a survival sim.

Thing is though, most of those folks hang around Electro or some of the other coastal regions. This means that if you don't want to get caught up in the PvP death match, you can always head inland. Might take you a few hours, but you know that they won't be following you up there and spoil the fun.

I take death in this game as a major, major thing to avoid. Of course you can just respawn, but it's kinda missing the point. I'd almost be happy if there was a server that gave you just one life, for say, a real month. So there simply wasn't the option of thinking "fuck it, I can always respawn".

If that means, sitting under a tree for an hour in the rain, then so be it. In my mind, that's me winning. Every minute I'm alive, I'm winning.

That is the best thing about the game they've created here is the completely organic risk/reward system of player populated areas. Town = More Zombies =More Loot = More players. The tension gets ramped up, sneaking from doorway to doorway, garden to ditch. Keeping an eye on the supermarket or garage. I always stealth it up and let the bandits and action junkies duke it out. get what I need and get out. It's fucking great!

Just had a tense hour running around. I left Berezino stocked up with blood packs, bandages and painkillers with the plan to m eet up with the rest of my group later on (we are always short on blood packs). I had about 6 mag clips and 2 bolts for my crossbow. I decide I'll head west towards where the others are most likely to be. I decide to explore a barn and kill a zombie with my two bolts which he seemed to digest as I was unable to retrieve them. A bit later on I get chased by some zombies and somehow end up using all of my remaining mag ammo.

So here I am with loads of goods but nothing to defend myself with. My water was also running low so I was in need of a well to fill up my water bottles.

I see the NE airfield in the distance so head there hoping that I might be able to sneak in and find either some ammo or a gun. As I approach the control tower I annoyingly attract the attention of a zombie and end up having to run away. As I run away from the building I hear several shots being fired in my direction. I knew they were either aimed at me or by someone kind enough to help me. As I had no ammo I decided I have no choice but to run towards where the shots come from and luckily it was another survivor who proceeded to kill the zombie and then went off on his way.

I get lucky and find a shotgun which has a flashlight attached and which uses the same ammo as the Winchester. Result!

Now I have to log off but when I return my goals are to find a source of water and then find the rest of my group. Good times (hopefully) ahead!

That is the best thing about the game they've created here is the completely organic risk/reward system of player populated areas. Town = More Zombies =More Loot = More players. The tension gets ramped up, sneaking from doorway to doorway, garden to ditch. Keeping an eye on the supermarket or garage. I always stealth it up and let the bandits and action junkies duke it out. get what I need and get out. It's fucking great!

I was just in elektro, went to look the factory, and crawling through the grass i saw a guy crouch walking across the field. I took a knee, aimed my sniepr at him and asked if he was friendly, the whole time never saying where i was only that i could see him. Was tense as fuck...he stopped moving and claimed to be friendly. I almost shot him anyway, after the last person i met who claimed to be friendly got me sniped. But he said he was in need of meds and was waiting for a friend, so we passed peacefully.

I looted the factory, and got an AKM, ammo, and flares. Told him there was loads of loot here that id leave for him, including a spare AKM and a shotgun. Then the place went crazy. I snuck off to a nearby hill and watched as my new friend was mobbed and killed...another person ran by being chased, and i decided to help, took out one zombie chasing him and aggroed another to myself which i killed. dont know if he made it but i think now that ive gotten some good weapons and loot, im gonna head inland myself and see if i can survive another day..

I swear people were whinging (not that you're whinging moose) about the same thing on a server I was on a couple of nights ago. When I had just found a winfield and ammo. Patience is the most important trait to have in this game.

The debug monitor should show how many spawned zombies there are on the map.

Nah mate, it's definitely an issue. The server I was on had to be restarted before it would spawn anything.

Nah mate, it's definitely an issue. The server I was on had to be restarted before it would spawn anything.

Oh yeah, no doubt, there are bags of problems including map respawns. Just that people were kicking off they didn't have an M240 stocked with ammo at spawn and blamed the server for not spawning.

It's hard to say for sure because you don't know what's supposed to spawn. The zombie count too might just be a case of people not being that spread out, so the further towns haven't spawned anything.

There have been issues over the past few days though, and server restarts have seen item spawns start working. It's just hard to filter the facts from the moaners. I've heard plenty of messages from people saying that the spawning has broken, just as I and others have been reporting finding, food, guns and ammo without issue.

Some people just expect there to be great content everywhere to find.

Some people just expect there to be great content everywhere to find.

I think this game might have the most rewarding loot of any game ive played. And when i say loot, i mean a compass, or a can of pepsi. Shit that in other games youd laugh at, in DayZ finding a pair of binoculars is like all your christmases have come at once. When i found that AK in elektro today i couldve cried. I love how rare the good loot is compared to a loot em up like say, borderlands, where every chest you open has something new and magical in it.

I've not found a compass yet. nor a torch or a map. In fact I've only really found a few guns, ammo and food. I did find a jerry can yesterday, but I've never seen a vehicle yet. That's all after about 17 hours of play.

Had such an amazing game last night. I'm in a large town, dunno the names, the sign posts might as well be written in Martian. It's dark and absolutely pissing it down. I come across a hospital surrounded by emergency quarantine tents packed full of medical supplies. Sweet. Stock up, meet some other friendlies and work as a medic for the group. I'm given a revolver by the group and ammo. Come across the Czech backpack. Things are looking up. Find cans, toolbox, hunting knife, compass and more ammo. I'm unstoppable now.

Bandit group passes through and my group disperses, I lose everyone but dont draw any bandit heat. I hunker down in a two story pub full of ammo. Find an Enfield. Feel confident and head back out.

I catch the attention of a Walker. Shit. Loads of them about, so instead of popping it, I decide to run somewhere secluded and deal with it. That's was mistake number one, whilst sprinting I draw another 8 walkers. I'm not sure how, but I survive. I've nailed near 40 of the fuckers this time round, but not without taking a few lumps. I bleed out near 8 pints and fracture my leg. But I'm alive. Those medical supplies come in handy. Though my horror sets in when I realise I can't use the blood bags myself. I start feeling really isolated, my vision is blurry as fuck, not knowing whats a walker, survivor, bandit or a rock at all but the closest ranges. I make it back to my favourite pub. Yam down 3 cans on beans and my vision stops fluctuating though I still can't see right. I climb onto a close roof and settle down for the night. Hopefully the day light will make it easier to find food and friendlies.

Had such an amazing game last night. I'm in a large town, dunno the names, the sign posts might as well be written in Martian. It's dark and absolutely pissing it down. I come across a hospital surrounded by emergency quarantine tents packed full of medical supplies. Sweet. Stock up, meet some other friendlies and work as a medic for the group. I'm given a revolver by the group and ammo. Come across the Czech backpack. Things are looking up. Find cans, toolbox, hunting knife, compass and more ammo. I'm unstoppable now.

Bandit group passes through and my group disperses, I lose everyone but dont draw any bandit heat. I hunker down in a two story pub full of ammo. Find an Enfield. Feel confident and head back out.

I catch the attention of a Walker. Shit. Loads of them about, so instead of popping it, I decide to run somewhere secluded and deal with it. That's was mistake number one, whilst sprinting I draw another 8 walkers. I'm not sure how, but I survive. I've nailed near 40 of the fuckers this time round, but not without taking a few lumps. I bleed out near 8 pints and fracture my leg. But I'm alive. Those medical supplies come in handy. Though my horror sets in when I realise I can't use the blood bags myself. I start feeling really isolated, my vision is blurry as fuck, not knowing whats a walker, survivor, bandit or a rock at all but the closest ranges. I make it back to my favourite pub. Yam down 3 cans on beans and my vision stops fluctuating though I still can't see right. I climb onto a close roof and settle down for the night. Hopefully the day light will make it easier to find food and friendlies.

I don't have a PC, nor the time (or probably patience) to play this game, but this thread is absolute gold. Loving reading everyone's accounts.

Vicarious gaming is the future :)

After my successful run yesterday, i logged on last night, only to be shot dead literally in the spot that i spawned, about 30 seconds after spawning :(

So i restarted this morning. First light i set off from kameha (i think), and make my way west, towards Cherno along the coast. My goal, to successfully pass through Cherno, onto Elektro, get some loots, and head inland to try and survive. On the way i found a winchester and ammo, so its a good start.

Just outside cherno i found a small house and made my way inside, i can hear a zombie inside somewhere so im sneaking in, and see a zombie in the living room standing over some loot. Few shots from the makarov and hes dead, and ive got a brand new revolver. Snuck on deeper into town, and i see a shop, ripe for the looting, but theres 2 zombies inside, and more in the surrounding area. If i shoot the zombies in the shop, im gonna aggro more than i can handle. So i passed on the loot, and kept crawling on through town. Eventually made it to the main square, with my sights on the hotel. Theres zombies int he square, so i had to crawl all the way across the square and into the hotel. Revolver ammo, food, goldmine! Until i hear gunshots close by, like, outside the window close by. I hit the deck, grabbed some cover and peered out the window. Theres a bandit in the square running from some zombies, and as im in the biggest and most loot filled building around i know hes gonna come over here sooner or later.

I waited, debating whether id just hide and ambush him when he came in the door, but in the end decided i couldnt risk losing all my loot again, so looked out the window and saw him take cover in a doorway, still shooting at zombies, and i ran out of the hotel and on through the city. Next stop elektro!

I had a marvellous time on this yesterday.

It's tense as fuck, utterly compelling. My first life ended pretty quickly after I was a bit gung-ho in the first village I came across. My second life has been a careful journey from village to town to village, staking out the place to make sure it's clear of other players then methodically clearing it of zombies before going for a scavange. The atmosphere is quite something.

The risk vs reward vs need is brilliant. I've by-passed villages that looked iffy if I haven't needed food but when I do it's so tense going into a village knowing it's either take the risk or starve. I've had a couple of really antsy encounters with other players. One I'm sure was a bandit. We passed in a room, had a little look at each other and went on our way. Brilliant!! Maybe the sight of my Winchester put them off.

Had no big issues so far apart from the odd glitch with the Arma 2 engine. I think this could be the best thing that has come along in a long time and I hope that some of the more commercial developers don't get hold of this. I think it's current bleakness and stripped down feel are to it's credit. The last thing it needs are perks and what not.

I had a marvellous time on this yesterday.

It's tense as fuck, utterly compelling. My first life ended pretty quickly after I was a bit gung-ho in the first village I came across. My second life has been a careful journey from village to town to village, staking out the place to make sure it's clear of other players then methodically clearing it of zombies before going for a scavange. The atmosphere is quite something.

The risk vs reward vs need is brilliant. I've by-passed villages that looked iffy if I haven't needed food but when I do it's so tense going into a village knowing it's either take the risk or starve. I've had a couple of really antsy encounters with other players. One I'm sure was a bandit. We passed in a room, had a little look at each other and went on our way. Brilliant!! Maybe the sight of my Winchester put them off.

Had no big issues so far apart from the odd glitch with the Arma 2 engine. I think this could be the best thing that has come along in a long time and I hope that some of the more commercial developers don't get hold of this. I think it's current bleakness and stripped down feel are to it's credit. The last thing it needs are perks and what not.

Just FYI, you can spot a bandit because theyll be wearing the bandit skin, which is the tan colour outfit with a headscarf :)