Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

I visited Giant Bomb this morning while waiting for the download to finish and noticed in the sidebar that Alex had tweeted

BAH GAWD KING, THAT'S STANNIS BARATHEON'S MUSIC!

But wasn't bothered by it as it was about 5 minutes into the episode and made me laugh as it was happening. ^_^

I'm not sure what they can do with Stannis next week. He's still sat around waiting for his loan to come through. Which isn't very exciting.

Ha, I couldn't have been more wrong! Stannis to the rescue. I've read a couple of blog posts from some book readers who were really pissed off that the Stannis moment wasn't tagged onto the end of episode 9. It would've made sense to have that as a climax perhaps, but then I think it would've been too similar to the ending of the Battle of Blackwater episode, so I think I understand why the writers did it.

If you're gonna start reading the books, please don't try pick up where the show leaves off. Read from the first book and you'll get so much more out of it. They've played fast and loose with a lot of stuff (for good reason) and substituted, combined or cut numerous characters (some of which were awesome) who would just come from no-where.

Feel free to jump over multiple page long descriptions of feast food.

One thing that stood out was that Dany and the Mereenese don't seem to know what jobs are. Why did the teacher-slave have to appeal to Dany to get her to order him to sign up to indentured servitude for a year instead coming to a private arrangement with his former owner to do what he used to enjoy doing? He could have just said, "former Master, I'd be happy to continue teaching your children in return for food, lodging (and maybe a little coin), what do you say?"

From our vantage point it's clearly supposed to indicate that Dany's actions have bad consequences despite (or, one might argue, because of) her noble intentions. But this particular example is nonsense. And of course he was supposed to be representative of lots of other former slaves.

Also I didn't buy that bit about Drogon killing the child. I mean, I don't know whether he(?) did or not, but Dany seemed very quick to believe the supposed father and lock up her 'children'. She didn't ask about any witnesses etc. But an enemy would be motivated to paint her dragons as child-killers. And I don't see those chains holding the dragons for very long.

I think the Dany storyline is the weakest bit of the show.

I agree that the Dany storyline has been proven one of the weekest but your argument in this point is invalid. You want a former slave, who never had any rights or know any freedom to go to his former master, who has never been anything but a master and feels he is entitled to have slaves and offer him a business deal of equal terms (which for the former slave is to become slave again), in a society ruled by a Queen who has just abolished slavery and made signs of all the masters.

I think that is a stretch.

Also, I feel this episode has easily been one of the best they have ever done. Glorious direction and almost no scene (bar Dany's) felt out of place. Simply amazing television. The extra minutes really helped, especially in the end. Superlative character development in Tyrion who finally reached his limit.

I'm so pumped for this tonight... this is the best place as folks are really good at avoiding spoilers... but I do like to come in and see a 'wow' 'amazing' etc before hand. Gets me PUMPED.

Are you pumped?

I'm pumped!

I'm so pumped for this tonight... this is the best place as folks are really good at avoiding spoilers... but I do like to come in and see a 'wow' 'amazing' etc before hand. Gets me PUMPED.

Are you pumped?

I'm pumped!

Best episode ever in the series in my opinion. It is really masterful storytelling, even if compared to the books it inevitably suffers.

It is simply superlative.

And the ending theme is one of the best, if not the best adaptation of the main theme.

Can't believe I'm the only one... I think just having so many surprises in one episode with such little build up took me out of the universe a bit. Like I said before I hope on re-watching I'll enjoy it more.

Holy shitsnacks, that was fucking amazing. One of the best episodes of anything ever. So much happened:

The Wall story and Stannis' converging! Dany dumping her dragons! The weird shit with the skellingtons and the fire lobbing sprite! Arya being an utterly cold fucker and subsequent end of the Hound (presumably)! Arya sodding off on a boat!* Jamie freeing Tyrion! Tyrion killing the lying whore and his shitting dad! Varys leaving with him!

And what the FUCK is going to happen to the Mountain? Will we be seeing Titan Mountain?

* Is she going to see that assassin dude?

Bloody brilliant.

they could have played

dragon thing a bit more subtly, the punchline was too obvious, If rather than the guy being such a wreck they'd played it down slightly (think that scene in Restreppo where the afgan guy is bartering for compensation for his dead cow) but then the reveal centering on Dragontits horrified reaction would have made a better final scene than Arya on the boat. Skip the dragon chaining until next year.

that and The Fellowship of The Ringpiece's fight with the skellingtons annoyed me. Everything else was great. I love Varis deciding it was time to get the fuck out of Dodge

Oh come on. He's totally not dead. You didn't seem him die...that's fiction 101 for "will turn up later at a pivotal moment"

We all thought Arya killing that random peasant was foreshadowing The Hound's death, but that turned out to be wrong. If there's one thing I've learned about GoT it's that it likes to set you up with false expectations.

Oh come on. He's totally not dead. You didn't seem him die...that's fiction 101 for "will turn up later at a pivotal moment"

Sure, but a show that defies expectations might defy that expectation.

That was brilliant. Unfortunately,

I had Tyrion killing Tywin spoiled for me about two years ago by Frankie Boyle on Twitter. But to be honest, it wasn't much of a spoiler, as I knew it would happen, but didn't know how - it was still electrically tense.

I look forward to cyborg frankingstein Mountain smashing shit up next season.

Even though I held in my heart the belief that Jaime would rescue Tyrion, when he left him at those steps all I had in my mind was his renewed relationship with Cersei, probably the only thing powerful enough to drive him to betrayal. I was absolutely expecting Tyrion to go through that door to find Cersei there, or... well, anything horrible really.

For ages I've been spotting a subtitle on Something Awful that says "Tyrion crossbows his father Tywin dead on the toilet" or words to that effect, but it never occurred to me that it was something that would happen. When he opened that door to see Tywin sitting there I realised where that was going. Actually, when he found Shay I thought he was looking for Cersei.

I don't think the Hound is dead! What's a little compound fracture here and there. If you don't see them die, they ain't dead. I legit paused it during that fight and paced around a bit telling myself I couldn't handle it right now.

I'm also glad the season didn't end with a shot of White Walkers... walking somewhere.

Can all the book readers fuck off out of here please.

Thanks

Loved the final episode, lots moved on and next season setup superbly

Nothing has been said, and the only reason they've been mentioned is because people were asking about reading them, so people have given them good advice with a little reasoning behind it, without saying anything about the story or characters that may or may not exist or may or may not have been changed for the TV show. It would be pretty daft for them to go into the book readers thread to ask that, considering that's got open discussion about spoilers yet to come. I know some people like to pretend the books don't exist, but hey guess what, they do!