Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Why did Varys go from lying during the trial to helping Tyrion anyway? He's not usually the kind of person to be influenced by anyone.

He's very much the sort to do one thing in public and another in private. When Tyrion saved Kings Landing he said he wouldn't forget.

Varys is not one to put his true agenda on public display. He's a schemer who puts the good of the kingdom ahead of everything else - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. This time, though, he let his emotions get the better of him.

He likes Tyrion but he didn't want to be caught helping him. It's similar to his liking for Ned Stark - he wasn't going to risk his own life particularly when the odds were vastly against them.

I'm sure he explained all that, he's quite forthcoming and honest about it (in private conversation).

Did anyone else notice that when Jon Snow was burning Ygritte's funeral pyre, there was another of those white-bark-red-leaf trees in the foreground? And to think Bran has made poor Hodor carry him hundreds of miles north when there was one right next to the wall.

There are definitely some book readers in here that aren't letting on. Some of the 'predictions' from earlier in the season are far too accurate.

I just had a pique in that thread and there's fucking loads. Broker, rudi von starnberg, Glasgowchivas, stigweard, even And - who just had a go at someone for reading the books and posting in here!

Did anyone else notice that when Jon Snow was burning Ygritte's funeral pyre, there was another of those white-bark-red-leaf trees in the foreground? And to think Bran has made poor Hodor carry him hundreds of miles north when there was one right next to the wall.

There's one at Winterfell, too. It's even in the opening credits, isn't it? Although whether it got burned or not when Winterfell, I don't know.

I reckon we should allow limited book chat in here. The worst kind of book posts are the ones where people say stuff like “guys, I’ve been reading some of the fan fiction, and well, I don’t want to spoil anything, but you guys are in for a treat! Keep an “eye” (or two?!) out for a little disagreement between a certain mountainous fellow and his friend from the south, and let’s hope

Jon Snow doesn’t “knurr nothing” about bringing people back to life, because Ygritte is killed by an arrow at approximately 48 minutes into the episode!! (hint, hint!!!??!)”

(spoiler-tagged just to be 100% safe)

Surely we can talk about how the books portrayed events we’ve already seen, though? Some people I follow on twitter have been complaining about the most recent episode and how it’s rubbish compared to the book, and I’d be interested to know how that is – and I can’t go into the book thread, as I’ll have spoilers all up in my grill from books 4 & 5.

Like, did Tyrion kill Shae in the book? I bet he didn’t. I’ve seen a few things complaining about the series putting misogynistic scenes in that weren’t in the books, and that bit seemed like it could be one of them.

The "misogyny" crusaders have started on Game Of Thrones now have they? As in "oh no, some men did bad stuff to women in a fictionalised Middle Ages", like that's some kind of big deal?

I just had a pique in that thread and there's fucking loads. Broker, rudi von starnberg, Glasgowchivas, stigweard, even And - who just had a go at someone for reading the books and posting in here!

Just because they post in both threads doesn't mean the make 'predictions' based on coming events though.

Edit: what And said

There's one at Winterfell, too. It's even in the opening credits, isn't it? Although whether it got burned or not when Winterfell, I don't know.

It's a weirwood tree. A lot of northerners don't worship the Seven, sticking with their "old gods". The weirwood trees are used for worship. There's one in the godswood at Winterfell (there's a scene there with Ned & Cat in S01), and Sansa asks to go to the one in King's Landing to pray.

And none of us post "predictions" in here you donut. Because if you know someone had read the books, their "predictions" would actually just be big fat spoilers.

Which is why I waited to the end of the series to out Clyde. Otherwise he'd have spoiled the series.

so did Clyde actually spoil/accurately predict anything specific?

Just had next season spoiled, fuck, maybe I can repress it...

You have my sympathies, dude.

In other news, you are now officially banned from making any speculative predictions in this thread for 12 months. :(

Dragons? Hodor tied to a hang glider?

Anyone else see the look Melisandre gave Jon Snurr? With her nose for royal blood I'm taking that as another teaser he's Rhaegar and Lyanna's son. I'd stick a couple quid on Jon Snow taking his 'redheads porked' tally to two some stage next season.

I missed the necklace but it was blatant Diana Rigg had bumped him off by the composition of the shot right before Tyrion passed the wine.

Can't find it on google and I think I watched that episode on Sky Go so can't easily grab a screenshot but it really was film making 101 stuff.

Terrified to find out who negged my previous post because if they're book readers negging me for spoilers I'll know it's going to happen. To be honest I'm not so sure it will work out that way in the end, bit too cliché which makes me suspect a red herring.

I missed the necklace but it was blatant Diana Rigg had bumped him off by the composition of the shot right before Tyrion passed the wine.

Can't find it on google and I think I watched that episode on Sky Go so can't easily grab a screenshot but it really was film making 101 stuff.

You're right of course, I too thought that the composition of the scene was very heavy-handed and all but gave it away.

What was off was the early "hey, did you notice Sansa's necklace guys? because I did!" chat which followed that episode when the actual in-show reveal wasn't made until the next episode.

I found the ending a bit frustrating really, though it had some great scenes and production values. The plot seems to be breaking up into lots of different strands which don't seem as interesting to me. I'm wary about the next series now, starting to feel I should watch to find out how it all ties up, less for sheer pleasure.

I used to love the big juicy epic story that was so big in series 1 and 2, gaining control of the Iron Throne, but now the big villains Joffrey and Charles Dance have gone. The remaining Starks are off doing their own thing. The big players are out of it. All we have left is the lesser bods, the Boltons and the Iron Idiots, little forces. There's the Martins of Flower Land, maybe a region of Space Mexicans somewhere, but we barely know anything of them or what they're up to so I'm finding it hard to care.

Stannis is sort of a big deal but his plot is so slow. In 10 episodes he got a loan and then magically turned up in the north. I felt that made a farce of the 2 years the Wildlings have tried to get south. Why can't the Wildings just make a boat and ferry themselves around it too? Stannis must have come in by sea or he would've seen the Boltons have nicked Stark Land.

Bran's plot line is just weird. Being taught special powers by an old bloke tied up under a tree could be a big deal, or it could be nothing. We can't tell so it's kind of redundant for now. That whole plot line is like a different story really and I've no idea where it's going.

Tyrion, probably the main character now, is off sailing away... To do what? He doesn't need revenge, he's had it, and he isn't interested in power. He's just going to bum around on the beach I presume with the bald eunuch? Arya is also sailing off... To do what? She wanted to go north but then changed her mind on a whim so there can't be a big plan there. She'll probably find the cool sword teacher over sipping cocktails but can that lead to anything more than another training montage?

I've no idea where Jon Snow's plot is going now. He doesn't seem to have a function or an "adventure" any more. Jamie and Crazy Queen bonking and trying to lead the capital might be fun in a minor way, admittedly. Lady Knight and Podrick are useless. The Hound is on ice until he no doubt reappears like all who die off screen in this show. Moody Sansa and Mayor Carcetti haven't declared their ambitions for series 5 either and Little Finger is a horrid character anyway.

I've got Dragon Girl sits in a throne room coming up with bad ideas to look forward to I suppose. Is that one of her dragons is loose supposed to be the big, dramatic thing for series 5?

The White Walkers are just a joke so far, pinching the odd baby to take to Castle Greymane and marching in reverse, but really they're main hope for me. As far as I see, only they can tie these threads together if the nation has to unite to fight off zombies. That's what the series is lacking now - a consistent, single plot thread that slowly progresses. They had this going nicely for a while, but then they bumped off everybody I cared about.

People keep bringing up the, "why didn't they just build a boat" thing. I'll admit it's a flaw the show should have addressed, but could they just not have the technological knowhow to build a ship capable of crossing whatever body of water they'd need to? The concept of floating on water isn't exactly difficult but building a ship is. You have to research Optics before you have something capable of crossing ocean tiles. That's a renaissance tech!

Maybe either side of the Wall there is a particularly perilous cape or something.