Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

What exactly did he spoil? I had a very quick skim through his posts from this season and don't see anything. He was one of the people talking about the necklace ahead of time, but loads of people were. The speculation/observation was all over spoiler free blogs and podcasts so of course it would make its way in here.

In the sullied thread we've been rolling our eyes at Clyde's prophetic "predictions" and subsequent "I called it" shtick for the whole season man.

In the sullied thread we've been rolling our eyes at Clyde's prophetic "predictions" and subsequent "I called it" shtick for the whole season man.

There are millions of people watching this show. A subset of which post on this forum. A subset of which listen to and read spoiler-free podcasts and blogs, not to mention non-spoiler threads on other forums. I think you guys need to apologise. :quote:

People keep bringing up the, "why didn't they just build a boat" thing. I'll admit it's a flaw the show should have addressed, but could they just not have the technological knowhow to build a ship capable of crossing whatever body of water they'd need to? The concept of floating on water isn't exactly difficult but building a ship is. You have to research Optics before you have something capable of crossing ocean tiles. That's a renaissance tech!

Maybe either side of the Wall there is a particularly perilous cape or something.

Stannis' Hand is the Onion knight - who was a smuggler before Stannis took him in (and he still hangs out with pirates). If anyone can scramble a fleet to transport an army north of the wall, he can.

Like I've said, I've only read the first 2 books, both during this season. I predicted

Jaime helping Tyrion

and I've seen many others come to that conclusion. I even posted how I got spoiled on

Tywin's death

just last week. I will have them finished for the next season so no need to worry about my 'predictions'.

Chinny reckon

I have not yet read the books and both of those events were not the least bit surprising. They were awesome! But not surprising! Did you honestly not see them coming? I planned to read the books in the off season, but i'm almost tempted not to. I don't like their tone.

I imagine a particularly severe and long cold snap facilitates White Walker migration down south.

And the Wall is pretty much the only obstacle at present.

The fanfic/lore vaguely mentions that

...the Wall was built containing magic wards to prevent zombies from crossing it (but the living are free to scale it) - it was not originally just a physical barrier, it was magical too. If those Wards are still in force, they could extend around and into the sea?

I have not yet read the books and both of those events were not the least bit surprising. They were awesome! But not surprising! Did you honestly not see them coming? I planned to read the books in the off season, but i'm almost tempted not to. I don't like their tone.

It's probably best to drop it now. I've explained myself and never hidden away from the fact I am currently reading them but I doubt what's said on a forum will change anyone's opinion but thanks anyway.

Jon Snow mentions Eastwatch-by-the-Sea as a manned castle on the Wall. I imagine this is the furthermost east castle guarding that end of the Wall and serving as a port for ships to patrol the water. So even if the wildlings could build ships, could they build good enough ships in sufficient number to take or avoid Eastwatch-by-the-Sea (in the latter case, avoid means shipping 100,000 people).

Seems best to scout Castle Black (with your owls and eagles), get an impression of the garrison, OK there's about 100, doesn't seem like much of a problem, let's take Castle Black and get that tunnel open, move the 100,000 through it. No need to faff around trying to build ships etc.

It's probably best to drop it now. I've explained myself and never hidden away from the fact I am currently reading them but I doubt what's said on a forum will change anyone's opinion but thanks anyway.

It's just that I feel a little bit like Jon Snow. I had faith in you, but I didn't know what I was in for. I went into that wild-land armed with ctrl+f and your user name, hoping that anything they had to say related to this season only. I got lucky. I closed my eyes to things they didn't want us to see...they know nothing. We're almost on even ground. Their power had diminished. I'm glad I was able to restore your honour cause you said something nice to me when quoting me in the thread at some point I think. I see that as Westerosi bond of honour that I'm happy to try and play a part.

What! He's at the centre of the biggest element of the plot; winter is coming! And I keep coming back to the fact that GRRM agreed to move forward with the show upon asking the producers "who is Jon Snow's mother?" and liking the answer.

I don't know about his mum stuff but the actual 10th episode didn't suggest he's got a lot to do next series. Stannis and the Onion seemed to have taken over control of Castle Black, meaning that Jon will be back to sidekick role at best? And isn't the actual ginger leader (who got dragged out a door screaming in episode 9) still alive anyway so he's still outranked?

If - BIG if - the White Walkers actually get to the wall in the next series, Jon will have more heroic fighting to do but that's about it as far as I can see. I'm sure the writers have tricks up their sleeves, they just didn't show them in that episode so it left me underwhelmed.

I'm adjusting though. Part of my earlier criticisms was just annoyance at the end of the series! I still have grumpy short-arsed True King Stannis to cheer on but if he tops it next series, Lord of Light knows who else I can give a damn about.

Stannis' Hand is the Onion knight - who was a smuggler before Stannis took him in (and he still hangs out with pirates). If anyone can scramble a fleet to transport an army north of the wall, he can.

He goes to see his pirate buddy in the sex sauna just after the Iron Bank meeting with a bag of gold and tells him they've got work to do, if I remember correctly.

I don't know about his mum stuff but the actual 10th episode didn't suggest he's got a lot to do next series. Stannis and the Onion seemed to have taken over control of Castle Black, meaning that Jon will be back to sidekick role at best? And isn't the actual ginger leader (who got dragged out a door screaming in episode 9) still alive anyway so he's still outranked?

Well he's quickly established himself as the most senior living relative to the guy who informed all involved to Stannis's true claim. So he's someone that the guy with the most powerful army in the non-zombie north will want to keep close.

Well he's quickly established himself as the most senior living relative to the guy who informed all involved to Stannis's true claim. So he's someone that the guy with the most powerful army in the non-zombie north will want to keep close.

I hope I don't get shit for this but Janos Slynt tells Alliser Thorne that he is only acting commander. He says that Jon Snow seems well liked and that he should consider granting Jon Snow's request to take out the mutineers hoping that the mutineers take care of Jon, or they may be taking orders from him.

EDIT:

I'll add a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-gm4N53bA

Did anyone else notice that when Jon Snow was burning Ygritte's funeral pyre, there was another of those white-bark-red-leaf trees in the foreground? And to think Bran has made poor Hodor carry him hundreds of miles north when there was one right next to the wall.

It's a heart tree. There are three main religions in Westeros, you have the dominant one which is the seven new gods (the mother, the warrior, the smith, the crone and so on, it's been mentioned multiple times in the show) which is practiced in all of the kingdoms except The North. There is the religion of the god of light, which is Stannis' and Melisandre's thing where they keep setting people on fire and there is the religion of the old gods which is practiced in The North.

The seven new gods are worshiped in a sept, one of which is a the place where Jamie raped fucked Cersei, the old gods of the north are worshiped at a heart tree, in a godswood. There is such a tree in Winterfell which is shown in the opening credits of the show every week. The one at the wall is where Jon Snow and Sam went to take their vows. There is one in Kings Landing too, Sansa has been there a few times during the course of the show.

WTF is "Onion" Knight all about anyway? Maybe it was explained and I forgot.

It comes from before the events of the show started. When Robert took the throne from the Targaryens he was assisted by Stannis (his brother) and Ned (his friend) and at one point Stannis was under siege at a coastal castle (Storms End) and was on the point of being starved out until Davos smuggled supplies into the castle which kept Stannis' army alive for long enough to allow Ned to sweep in from the rear and win the battle. Basically it's why Davos has a position of trust in Stannis' inner circle.