Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Leaked Episide 6 spoilers:

Spoiler

Careful!

Spoiler

What the absolute fuck are they doing to Arya?

So not only did fans assume they'd cleverly written that she decided against going home but on to Kings Landing to complete her list, we also assumed there was something clever and not so obvious going on with the Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger scenes. 

WRONG!

No idea why she's turned into a smug little psycho now she's back.

"What would it be like to wear pretty dresses... be lady of Winterfell..?" 

Er, shit and dull, and your worst fucking nightmare? Honestly, what is she even doing there.

The Winterfell scenes threw off the pacing in my opinion. They interrupted and simmered down the tension beyond the Wall. I think this is what happens when the writers try to write filler but with no material.

Why, after what Petyr said, didn't Sansa suggest to Brienne that she take Arya with her to get her out of the castle? At least Petyr's motive was revealed I guess; he's scared of Arya because he can neither control her mentally nor physically.

But what a fucking mess. I can only assume it's setting up something to go down later on, but who fucking knows. Could just be moody-sisters-don't-like-each-other filler and go pretty much nowhere. 

Tormund heading for a watery grave was proper nail biting. Seriously didn't know if he was going to make it but definitely wanted him to.

Someone should have dubbed rock throwing Clegane a dumb cunt. Opportunity missed. 

Why is Jon wasting time going on the offensive when the Dragon's waiting to fucking depart, knob?! He basically got Viserion killed.

True, the death was coming, but annoying it couldn't have been done in a way where it didn't seem to be someone's pointless fucking fault.

Fucking sad the way he slips away :( 

(the dragon, not Jon. Knob.)

The way they directed the dragons' attack was fucking great. Not too much of what we've already seen; I don't want the dragons breathing fire and destroying shit to get boring, samey or predictable. The ice, snow and water shooting up looked epic, as did the first blast onto the wights. I actually did a whoopy laugh when that happened, so that's the reaction I want when the dragons enter stage left. 

So is Ep07 out yet?

epsiode 6

Spoiler

I actually like Ayra being all crazy with Sansa. I've never liked Sansa and now she thinks she can fill her mothers shoes and she can't. She still a scared little girl at the core and Arya proved that.

@sir shrew I never looked up any leaked show notes. That would be stupid and ruin stuff. It was just obvious that when people were saying "just take the dragons over the wall" that it wasnt going to be that simple and I was surprised people actually thought it was.

Episode 6 spoiler.

Spoiler

I've got to say this season is really missing the directorial flourish of Miguel Sapochnik. There were parts when the dead were attacking endlessly which were strangely... lacking in tension. It went on for too long; oddly unexciting when they were just standing there fighting off a million of them. I dunno. Certain bits could have been executed better.

I'm away for two weeks from Sunday at somewhere with terrible wifi so had to jump on the chance to watch episode 6

LEAKED EPISODE 6 SPOILERS

Spoiler
Spoiler

Fucking brilliant. Yep it was a bit dumb, but plenty of good character stuff/dialogue.

it was a stupid plan, badly executed by Jon and co but it was great to watch it all play out.

The very end was brilliant even though it was obvious what would happen.

That was some thoroughly satisfying nonsense. Episode 6 (the leaked one yeah) spoilers:

Spoiler

I wonder if zombie dragon can still fly. It went down pretty fast after it got speared. I'm guessing they were just internal organs that reanimated wights have no use for. Seemed like its wings were fine. Will be interesting to see what the White Walkers do now, they could just pop over to Westeros presumably, if they wanted to. They still need their army to be able to pass through the wall. The castles along the wall are manned, so they can't really just bring a small crew over and try to open one of the gates from the other side.  I'm really looking forward to the epic three-way dragon battle in season 8 episode 5, anyway.

There were some shit parts of the episode. Every time a nameless wildling died north of the wall, with their character not having been built up at all. Benjen dying immediately after turning up. Arya being fucking weirder than Bran. Sure, she wrote a mildly treasonous letter, but under duress you fucking belm. I understand it wouldn't be GoT if they were all playing happy families but it feels very forced. They're just not acting in a way that makes any sense.

It's a little strange than GRRM seems to have lost his taste for killing characters everyone loves. It feels like Jon and Dany in particular are going to be there right till the end. All of the uncertainty threat of previous seasons is basically gone completely.

11 minutes ago, Liamness said:

That was some thoroughly satisfying nonsense. Episode 6 (the leaked one yeah) spoilers:

Hide contents

It's a little strange than GRRM seems to have lost his taste for killing characters everyone loves. It feels like Jon and Dany in particular are going to be there right till the end. All of the uncertainty threat of previous seasons is basically gone completely.

GRRM's influence on the plot at this point I think is fairly minimal, as at the point where the books are up to, some characters are in totally different situations to how they were in the TV show at that stage. I reckon 75% of the stuff we're seeing now either flat out won't happen in the books (if they ever come out), or will happen slightly differently.

Also for all the books' flaws, I don't think all this stupid shit with characters doing stuff left right and centre that doesn't stand up to any logical scrutiny would happen in GRRM's writing. It didn't used to happen in the show, back when they were adapting and improving for TV rather than having to go their own way with things.

Most of what was in this episode, as well as the Sam and Gilly scene last episode, were already leaked (looks like whoever is leaking the info must have insider knowledge, as he/she has been spot on so far). That was what I was talking about when I said "massive game changer", especially if the ice dragon can breath fire(ice? fuck knows) - Can the wall withstand that?!? Something tells me that may be how they get through.

Leaked Episode Spoiler and Speculation based on Leaked Episode

I enjoyed it as per usual but felt like one of the more disjointed and where teleportation seemed more out of place than previously.

It sort of felt like they just wanted to wrap Benjen up so he isn't a loose end come the end of the show.  I would have much preferred them introducing him earlier and then killing him off as opposed to the somewhat failed tension they tried to build with Jon.  

I didn't really get why Gendry ran back to the wall, surely you could all run back to the wall?  

Sending Brienne to Kings Landing basically allows her to re-unite with Jamie I guess as the main benefit outside of it not making much sense.

Not a big fan of the red coats either, sort of damages the iconic travelling into the north shots when the faceless men start dying and also made it really confusing.  Are these characters I know or not?

Arya and Sansa conversation was just bizarre, but I assume the point that they were trying to get across was that Arya despite the things she doesn't like about Sansa, trusts her because she's her sister.  Handing her the dagger is basically saying you should kill Littlefinger? 

Also I get that Littlefinger is a manipulator e.t.c. and the Maester at Winterfell is relatively new but typically Maesters are veryloyal to the house, so seems odd that just anyone can request a bit of confidential correspondence, need to check their security practices.

Dany's outfit was great.  She obviously was only pretending to ignore the fact that winter was coming, to get that prepared.

3 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Hide contents

Most of what was in this episode, as well as the Sam and Gilly scene last episode, were already leaked (looks like whoever is leaking the info must have insider knowledge, as he/she has been spot on so far). The two were what I was talking about when I said "massive game changer", especially if the ice dragon can breath fire(ice? fuck knows) - Can the wall withstand David Schneiderthat?!? Something tells me that may be how they get through.

Spoiler

This is why people get called out as posting a "spoiler". Plenty of people were waiting for the dragon to happen. We know it's gonna happen. Sentences like "massive game changer!" hint very strongly that it happens in the coming episode. Ergo: the surprise is spoilt and you know where the episode is heading.

So....Ep7 predictions anyone?

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure Jon is gonna find out who he is. The Fox and I have been discussing Ep7 and series 8 for about.... two hours lol.

Anyway, I thought this could be the last scene but I couldn't decide how it could/should be done.

What would be cool? What would be a Wow! moment? Who tells him and how. Bran? Alone? In a room full of Northmen who probably don't give a shit at this point in time?

Anyway, suddenly realised (stop if you don't want to ruin a potential surprise for yourself, AND it contains some book mater.....fuck, I'll take this bit over to the book thread; if you're interested, read it there. 

So, at they gonna take the wight to King's Landing? Part of me feels there's no trap that Cersei could lay for Dany that makes any sense. But we've been discussing and disagreeing over whether Cersei has changed her outlook on life due to the pregnancy.

Non spoilery musings:

It annoys me Cersei is holed up in King's Landing. She has no one to talk to or play off of, and she was at her best when she was manipulating powerful people around her to maintain her own power.

And she had a motive; her children. Everything was for them. Every death she ordered was to keep them alive. Sitting them on the throne was to protect them the best she could in the given situations.

Since she lost them all and has been queen, I find her motives and desires rather unbelievable and brittle; I really think her character was on a runaway mine cart of spiralling craziness, and if she is going to have any longevity then she needed realistic reigning in and grounding.

She basically announced last episode that she was ready to die fighting, and why not. Nothing left to live for; well now there is. Whether she believes the prophecy enough to know doom awaits her child I don't think has been made clear yet. But if the episodes in series 8 are really going to be as long as people have suggested, and if Cersei is to remain a credible villain throughout them, then I feel her story needs a sharp change of direction. 

Every scene is with Jaime or Qyburn because she's killed anyone else worth talking to. I think that sucks, and King's Landing just feels like this empty fallout zone full of mindless peasants ruled by her, her brother and her science puppet. The rest of the south is dead. Dorne is gone. The Reach is gone. I worry that the writers, with little material, can knit all this back together in a plausible way that has us scratching our heads and enjoying the Cersei of old again. 

Bit of a rant lol. Entitled "Is Cersei a worthy adversary?" 

6 minutes ago, Gommy said:

Leaked Episode Spoiler and Speculation based on Leaked Episode

Hide contents

I didn't really get why Gendry ran back to the wall, surely you could all run back to the wall. 

Spoiler

Not whilst carrying the quest item. 

Spoiler

Oof, did not enjoy that one bit. Probably the single worst episode of GoT ever. It's turned into a videogame instead of the historical, geopolitical, psychological, political masterpiece GRRM invented.

I don't love it cos of the dragons and the boobies and the revenge. GoT is much more elevated than that. It riffs on family, greed, society, justice...

I'm tempted to say that this is the episode it jumped the shark. Everyone is so stupid now. They all do things that betray themselves in service of plot. The world is no longer a real environment these people are fighting over. Why the fuck did Sansa insist Brienne go to Kings Landing when even Littlefinger told her to listen to only Brienne?

Gendry walked from Eastwatch to the white walkers to the wall in an episode. The army of the dead have been marching from Mance Rayders camp to the wall for like THREE seasons, or something. 

They're fucking it all up!!!!

I think the army hasnt been marching to the wall that long, as the Night's King was not present during the first view of the "army" (and was commanded by a lone White Walker during our first ever view of one) for instance, so what's likely been happening is the White Walkers have been going all over the north, raising any dead they could find (and killing any pockets of the living to raise), and only now they've got this huge army moving towards Eastwatch, because the sea will likely freeze over.

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Hide contents

Gendry walked from Eastwatch to the white walkers to the wall in an episode. The army of the dead have been marching from Mance Rayders camp to the wall for like THREE seasons, or something. 

Spoiler

Why does everyone think they were making a beeline for the wall all this time? They weren't. They're preparing, sure. But they're not supposed to make an attempt on the wall until proper "winter".

31 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Hide contents

I think the army hasnt been marching to the wall that long, as the Night's King was not present during the first view of the "army" (and was commanded by a lone White Walker during our first ever view of one) for instance, so what's likely been happening is the White Walkers have been going all over the north, raising any dead they could find (and killing any pockets of the living to raise), and only now they've got this huge army moving towards Eastwatch, because the sea will likely freeze over.

Spoiler

An army that we now see instantly die if touched with a sword

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Hide contents

Why does everyone think they were making a beeline for the wall all this time? They weren't. They're preparing, sure. But they're not supposed to make an attempt on the wall until proper "winter".

Spoiler

You definitely accept that the Knight King is now a half days jog from the wall though, right? And with a zomdragon?

Ep 6

12 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:
  Hide contents

You definitely accept that the Knight King is now a half days jog from the wall though, right? And with a zomdragon?

Spoiler

Sure, why not. Given that there's only one season left, I wouldn't be surprised if the season ends with them reaching, maybe breaching (or going around), the wall.

Episode 6 spoiler and question

Has Jon Snow, 'the great leader' actually won a single battle yet? Hasn't he needed to be saved at the last minute each time? IIRC Stannis saved his ass in the North after he did something stupid. Got his ass whooped at Hardholme. The Knights of the Vale saved his ass at Winterfell, after he did something stupid. Dany and the Dragons saving his ass after he did something stupid in this episode.

Dude is a legit scrub.