Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Episode 6 spoiler.

Spoiler

Surely it would have had FAR more of an impact had they not shown the dragon resurrection. Imagine if the last we would have seen was it's body slipping underneath the ice. Everyone would have been speculating for ages as to whether they have since weaponised a zombie dragon, then they could bust it out as the most shocking opportunity. Showing it happen five minutes after it died is the least exciting reveal possible.

AND

Spoiler

The makers managed to completely eliminate the threat of the Wights built up by Hardhome and the Hordor episode. In this, half a dozen blokes were able to fend off the army of the dead for a solid ten minutes. If they can do that then I'm sure every human being in the world won't do that badly, prepared or not.

Episode 6

Since reading the Ice Dragon book, I've long suspected that a dragon would die behind the wall and come back... 

brilliant stuff

I'm kinda missing the slower pace though, some time spent seeing how the poor folks of Kings Landing are doing now  . Kind of reminds me a bit of Castle Greyskull now. Cut to KL with picture of outside and then straight to Cersei's lair.

still, loving it. We're in the last act - it's missing GRRMs writing but damn it's exciting stuff 

32 minutes ago, Simply Marvellous said:

AND

Hide contents

The makers managed to completely eliminate the threat of the Wights built up by Hardhome and the Hordor episode. In this, half a dozen blokes were able to fend off the army of the dead for a solid ten minutes. If they can do that then I'm sure every human being in the world won't do that badly, prepared or not.

theyre the hardest bastards in westeros and were about to die

9 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Hide contents

theyre the hardest bastards in westeros and were about to die

Spoiler

Yeah? Jon, Tormund, a bunch of hard bastards, the wildlings and a fucking GIANT were at Hardhome. And they were still supposed to be automatically fucked due to the sheer numbers.

It does feel like a completely different type of show now compared to earlier series. But I'm not surprised as they're not working off the source, so it's to be expected. 

I do wonder why they decided to floor it down the home straight for these last 2. We could have had another 4 series, taken a bit more time while still have the epic moments but with just more build up and substance. I enjoyed the slower pace! Now it's more like a movie, it's still good though.

Anyway, on to Ep. 6. I found a good 2.3gb 1080 version. Not as good as usual but still looks great wit the occasional stutter. I'll probably end up watching it again next week. 

I'm beginning to think..

That getting a dragon has bee part of the NIght Kings plan... he's been luring them to the north... we know he can sens Brans Warg powers... what's to say he hasn't got pervo vision as well? Is the Night King actually Bran? He's been hovering up corpses for his Army for a few years now... patiently waiting... he knows he can;t get past the wall without a little help... having an Undead F-16 loaded up with Air to Ground Missiles is that help... the other thing... he's clearly immune to dragon fire.....

3 hours ago, kerraig UK said:
  Hide contents

An army that we now see instantly die if touched with a sword

EP 6 Related

Spoiler

Yeah flaming swords, Valyrian steel and dragon glass. The three things that can hurt them. If you noticed, the weapons some of them were using to fight the walkers were black.

@Simply Marvellous at Hardholme they hadn't faced that kind of threat before, they didn't know how to deal with them. They didn't have the weapons that can kill the dead. In this episode they did. Granted it seemed a little silyl that 6 men could just hold them all off by just getting to higher ground but they are all experienced fighters with the right weapons facing a load of rotting corpses and skeletons.

Also, Why are being getting so het up that the show is moving in a fast pace now? There are no political backstabbing because everyone's been fucking murdered already and other than Littlefinger playing his game, everyone's separated into their own camps now. The Lannisters aren't aligned with anyone to turn on, The North sees it'self as it's own entity too (they currently don't know about Jon bending the knee) and all of Danys allies were wiped out due to being outplayed. Most of the houses have been decimated at this point, there is not political aspects anymore, it's all out war.

The show has now come down to war between the Lannister/Targaryns/Army of the Dead. This is what we've been building to for the last several years and now it's arrived, loads of you are moaning about it.

Yes, the fast travel is annoying but they have to fit everything in and are probably cherry picking from GRRMs notes. They probably could have dragged it out a bit more because there are threads in the book untouched on the show but the last two book dragged like fuck in parts with a lot of boring stuff which thankfully the show hasn't touched on.

In un-related to the leaked episode news..

Surely the response you'd get from convincing Cersei that there is a king with an unbeatable army marching on the south who can raise the dead is, "ooh, husband material" rather than, "let's band together and fight him."

Anyone think cersei would turn down having zombie tommen, Joffrey and whoever the girl was back. Plus all her enemies dead and probable immortality? 

Shit plan.

7 minutes ago, Alask said:

Surely the response you'd get from convincing Cersei that there is a king with an unbeatable army marching on the south who can raise the dead is, "ooh, husband material" rather than, "let's band together and fight him."

Anyone think cersei would turn down having zombie tommen, Joffrey and whoever the girl was back. Plus all her enemies dead and probable immortality? 

Shit plan.

Sort of glossing over the bit where everyone, including her, would be dead. Night King won't be interested in negotiating or marrying. 

9 minutes ago, Isaac said:

This thread has been shit this season, so much whining.

If you don't like it, stop watching.

I thought that episode 6 was one of the most entertaining episodes of TV I've seen since the last episode of GoT. 

Props to the actors playing Jon and Dani, they nail the chemistry perfectly.

A decent programme has become Disney cardboard character fan service fantasy. People are entitled to say something. 

If you don't like it, stop reading. 

Leaked episode 6 spoiler

Spoiler

I think they could quite easily have made the battle quite a lot more satisfying:

The night king is presumably invulnerable to fire (he walks through it), so have a dragon attack his group and leave only him standing, before he spears said dragon. Would surely make more sense than having the obvious leader ignored by all three dragons.

Have Jon actually trying to escape instead of standing around. The undead are weak anyway judging by how they fail to land a scratch on Tormund in about 30 seconds of having him pinned down.

14 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Leaked episode 6 spoiler

Hide contents

Have Jon actually trying to escape instead of standing around. The undead are weak anyway judging by how they fail to land a scratch on Tormund in about 30 seconds of having him pinned down.

Spoiler

See I've always thought that weird about zombies having super strength (ala The Walking Dead) and it's actually quite refreshing to see that these rotting corpses with no muscle and in some cases just a skeleton aren't strong. Strength isn't their advantage.

One thing I will say that makes little sense. Why did the NK not just throw some spears at Jon and co? Could have wiped them out in no time.

Episode 6:

Careful now.

You knew where it was going as soon as the plan to go beyond the wall came about, and it was all about getting an Ice Dragon.

Its just been quite disappointing, the way it has all unfolded and at the pace it has too. (Side note: I dont even want to talk about Arya and Sansa being a pair of absolute Bellends.)

The Avengers of Westeros, were exactly that, the final show down it was almost identical to the Age of Ultron battle where the Avengers are trying to stop 1000 robots who combust when touched from pressing a button.

The battle like I said before just lacked that peril and feeling of utter doom and it falls on the directions, the Magnificent 7 should have been absolutely on there arses, battered, bruised, bleeding, exhuasted, half frozen, just properly fucked. I recon they had a few more rounds in them though! (Apart from Pennis) And I have exact same gripe as before, we needed to lose more key players.

The frustrating thing is, its not a million miles away from what you want! Its so fucking close and it could have been so much better with a few tweeks:

• That episode beyond the wall could have comfortably been 3 episodes. To box it all off in one just feels a bit meh, like it really wasn't even that difficult. They should have come across a few other things (Beyond the Bear) to test the groups resolved before getting to that final encounter.
  • Dont have Jon be responisble for getting the Dragon Killed! Unless it had a purpose, like to drive a wedge between him and Dany (Which it didnt because Dany has already forgiven him), why do it! The Dragon could have been taken out mid battle, the timing was just stupid, have it taken out as everyone is climbing aboard the Drogon Bus. Dont have Jon run off in the other directions for no apparent reason causing the delay that gets it killed.
  • Having the Dragons attempt to take out the NK would have been great.
  • Someone else had to die! We should have been coming back with 4 men standing, at best. Jorah, the Pirate, Tormund could have all had there time. (Not 'The Hound' though! Cleganebowl!) Imagine Jon actually died! Fucking yes, Game of Thrones, bitches.
  • The whole premis of going to bring back a zombie to show Westeros, just makes you think... Wasnt really worth it, was it. Come up with another reason to go beyond the wall if you must! Something a little more logical, like have the Nightswatch discover if you kill a big boss then the Wights that he has turned get dropped. Giving the magnificent 7 an SAS mission to take out the NK. I can picture Jon Snows stupid plan right now "If we kill the night king, his army will fall, we can stop this war before it starts, think of the lives we can save!"
  • Imagine Miguel Sapochnik was at the helm of this episode, Just give him the entire final season please!

(To Stigwear: You certianly get the impression that the Knightking could have ramped it up a notch, he is kind of just toying with them for some reason, when throwing one spear why not fetch the other one straight away...)

I'm being too negative so I'll round it off with a few highlights:

• the 'Bants' on the walk beyond the wall was great, I could have had 2 episodes of that. :D 
  • Jon almost giving LongClaw away, for fuck sake Jon, put it away, its a good thing that Jorah is a top bloke.  
  • The Brotherhood without Banners and the flaming swords, didnt really care much for them prior to this episode, but they grew on my, even with the lord of light spiel.
  • LittleFingers scheming to get rid of Brienne, perfect.
  • One step closer to Cleganebowl! (And a nice little Hound and Brienne Reunion too it seems. Triple Threat match!? Or even a 2 v 1. :D ) 

1 hour ago, Alask said:

Shit plan.

Can definitely see Cersei wanting the Night King to kill Dany and all the northerners rather than offer to help them. I don't think Jaime would be on the same page, though.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

EP 6 Related

Hide contents

Yeah flaming swords, Valyrian steel and dragon glass. The three things that can hurt them. If you noticed, the weapons some of them were using to fight the walkers were black.

@Simply Marvellous at Hardholme they hadn't faced that kind of threat before, they didn't know how to deal with them. They didn't have the weapons that can kill the dead. In this episode they did. Granted it seemed a little silyl that 6 men could just hold them all off by just getting to higher ground but they are all experienced fighters with the right weapons facing a load of rotting corpses and skeletons.

Episode 6 spoiler.

Spoiler

What do you mean? Those special weapons only have significance when it comes to killing the White Walkers rather than the zombies. They were killing them with the same efficiency they always have. Only this time six blokes lasted for ages from an onslaught of thousands.

Ep6

Spoiler

If you were the Night King and you had a stationary, landed dragon with a bunch of your enemies on his back 100 yards away, or a soaring dragon moving at speed 300 yards away, which would you prefer to throw your evil spear at?

David? Daniel?

24 minutes ago, Simply Marvellous said:

Episode 6 spoiler.

Hide contents

What do you mean? Those special weapons only have significance when it comes to killing the White Walkers rather than the zombies. They were killing them with the same efficiency they always have. Only this time sox blokes lasted for ages from an onslaught of thousands.

Dragonglass can kill a wight and as can fire

12 minutes ago, scottcr said:
  Hide contents

Obvs the NK has been waiting on this moment - he had the spears ready and was expecting the dragons.  He knows all about Bran and has been spending his time behind the wall building his army.  He knows there's no point assaulting the wall, so he's been waiting on the dragons coming to him this time.  

He's attempted to get beyond the wall numerous times in the past and everytime he's been defeated... now he knows how to do it and now he's got the dragon, he's ready to begin his assault.

I imagine next week is going to end with him soaring over the wall in his dragon and melting it (assuming it still breaths fire) and the Hound and Brienne meet each other again in the presence of Cersei at King's Landing... 

The Arya/Sansa bit did annoy me a little in hindsight.  Arya's been a good character this series and then turned into a shite.  I also don't think Littlefinger has been anywhere near as interesting in this series or the previous one.  He's always just standing in the shadows and speaking in whispers - a bit of a caricature.  His character was much more interesting when he was trying to take over the Eyrie or running his brothel in King's Landing.

I'm glad Berric didn't die - he's cool as fuck.

I will agree that the writing isn't as deep now.  It feels more like a blockbuster movie than a deep story of intrigue and political backstabbing... but I suppose that's where we are now in the story.  The programme has always been leading up to this.  Dragon's fighting the white walkers.  Now that we realise it's all coming to an end sooner rather than later (there's only 8 episodes left!!!) we'd all rather it was drawn out for longer.  

Only 7 episodes left - series 8 is just 6 episodes!

Guesswork for finale based on leaked ep

Spoiler

The Arya Sansa friction is a red herring I think, they'll high five and then kill Littlefinger with the knife he tried to kill Bran with, then assume his identity to command his armies and network of spies. That whole scene was about Sansa finding out how Arya's faces work. Now she knows, they'll balance out each other's deficiencies to hatch a cunning plan together.

There will be a moment of reckoning for Jaime where he'll have to choose a side, I've always thought he'll end up killing Cersei (as per the prophecy Cersei had as a child) so that might close out the episode. Cersei isn't really pregnant, it's just a ruse to keep Jaime on board a bit longer.

They have to address Jon's parentage at some point before Jon and Dany get together, then they have to decide whether they're OK with aunt-nephew bonking or not. It wouldn't be out of keeping with the world but it is out of keeping for those characters.

The hound and Brienne will end up facing off against the mountain, or he'll save her from him, or vice versa.

Jorah gets a heroic death.

Dany will have another moment of madness and John will be the one to talk her down where Tyrion and others have failed.

John will ride the other dragon.

Bran is the Night's King or the original Brandon Stark because time travel.

I will also bet £100 that there will be a cameo from Sean Bean somewhere before the very last episode.

1 minute ago, Moz said:

Leaked ep

Hide contents

The Arya Sansa friction is a red herring I think, they'll high five and then kill Littlefinger with the knife he tried to kill Bran with, then assume his identity to command his armies and network of spies. That whole scene was about Sansa finding out how Arya's faces work. Now she knows, they'll balance out each other's deficiencies to hatch a cunning plan together.

I think you're probably right... Arya with Littlefinger's face...