Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

On 16/08/2017 at 11:46, Boothjan said:

I managed to avoid any spoilers when episode 4 leaked but it's only Wednesday FFS - the earliest I would be watching Episode 6 would be 6am on Monday morning!  So I've got 2 choices:

1.  Stay off social media - because @Simply Marvellous is correct - the annoying articles you can't hide are spoilerific, as is bloody Twitter.  And because I'm on Twitter a lot at the moment as Wolves are so fucking ace, staying off social media is a ballache I don't particularly want.

2. Watch the leaked footage somehow.  I don't want to do this - I've got a NOW TV sub primarily for GoT.  But I don't want to read about it online before I've seen it!

IF I do see it before the normal time, I will not post anything about it on this thread - and will only discuss it from Monday morning as is the 'right' thing to do on here IMO.  It wouldn't be an issue if GoT wasn't the biggest TV show in the world right now, when spoilers simply wouldn't be unavoidable - but if the leak is there and it's decent quality and widely available, it'd be harder to miss than David Bowie's crotch in Labyrinth.   

clips are already appearing on you tube with very, very spoiler filled titles. I think unfortunately you have two options:

1. Watch the episode now

2. Have it ruined for you in the coming days

3 hours ago, Simply Marvellous said:

Episode 6 spoiler.

Hide contents

What do you mean? Those special weapons only have significance when it comes to killing the White Walkers rather than the zombies. They were killing them with the same efficiency they always have. Only this time six blokes lasted for ages from an onslaught of thousands.

Spoiler

higher ground innit :unsure:

1 minute ago, Delargey said:

Ep 6

Hide contents

What was going on when Littlefinger said that Brienne was honour bound to intercede - was he trying to get Sansa to get rid of her?

Given the subsequent scene, I think it was Littlefinger suggesting Brienne be got out of the way so that Sansa can have a free shot at Arya if needed.

15 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

No it's not, why are you telling people that? It's 7 episodes and the finale airs on the 28th August.

The current season is Season 7.

He is talking about Season 8 having 6 episodes.

There is so much whining in this thread it is getting pretty tiresome. The constant critique of the show now is ridiculous. Be glad you even have the TV series because the final books seem like they'll never make it to print.  Complaining how it is turning into a fantasy show without all the political stuff anymore, well when you have an army of the dead to defeat, no politics are needed.  This has always been the end game for the books and the show. The show can't afford to waste time on stuff that was so good in the earlier seasons.  The fantasy part of the show is at the forefront now, I am happy about that.  Yes it feels like a different show than those first three or four seasons but there's a big reason for that.  I am enjoying the final part of the ride.

5 hours ago, Simply Marvellous said:

Reveal hidden contents

Anything can kill a wight.

no - only certain things can. When Jon killed one in season 1 he stabbed it to no effect and only killed it with fire.

Wights seem pretty weak so you could knock them around/ break them apart but only dragonglass or fire kills them.

8 hours ago, DNStuff said:

clips are already appearing on you tube with very, very spoiler filled titles. I think unfortunately you have two options:

1. Watch the episode now

2. Have it ruined for you in the coming days

I watched it last night for this very reason. Not posting about it til Monday though - I don't want to add to the temptation for those who are stronger willed than I am!

18 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

It isn't solely the shift in focus:

Reveal hidden contents

Dany just flew the distance of Mereen to King's Landing in half an episode.

They're rushing it.

it's not too crazy...google says it would take a raven about 20 hours to fly from Winterfell to Kings Landing. Obviously, Dany would have to wait for the raven to get there...but it's not too crazy to believe that the gang was trapped for a couple of days. They would have had supplies probaby. It would it be nice if they added a line to show the gang had been waiting for days

36 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

It isn't solely the shift in focus:

Reveal hidden contents

Dany just flew the distance of Mereen to King's Landing in half an episode.

They're rushing it.

As do all movies and fantasy tv shows ever. 

Is it great? No. Is it necessary? Yes. Because money is not infinite and choices need to be made. Wasting money to have two episodes for a trek, with characters blabbering about just to satisfy people's needs for "immersion" instead of having huge fights with CG dragons (and -finally- reap the benefits of the conclusion of story arcs that have been building for years) would be a terrible, terrible idea.

The most disappointing thing is that people criticize because something looks to be wrong, even though it may be quite right if they could do some research. 

Episode 6 discussion

Spoiler

I love Sansa's line about not having spoke to Jon for weeks.  A lot of time has passed in the past few episodes. Even just this one episode, while they were stuck on the plateau, they were stuck there for probably a day from what I gathered.  

They have to rush it sadly.  Because they would have to do at least two seasons for every book.  

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Anyone?  I downloaded two 1080p version at around 2gb each, both crap. 

Mine was ok...but far from great. If anything it's making me excited to watch it again on Monday, with a delicious 1080p copy

As for the whining 

Spoiler

Generally agree with most of the comments on here. I'm enjoying it hugely, but it's rushed. It's blockbuster stuff, but not the show it was before.

I'm sure someone on here mentioned about Qyburn's Scorpion being poisonous. Doesn't look like that's the case, but a few weeks back I thought that Dany would go and torch the NK's crew, the poison would kick in and that's how NK would get his Dragon.

Or he'd warg into one.

The idea that the Dragons could be turned against the Dany/Jon/men's armies has been around for ages. I'm not sure if throwing a death spear with such accuracy, at a moving dragon (rather than the closer, stationary, dragon) is the one I'd choose - but the whole battle was tremendously entertaining. It's remarkable that this is somehow only a television show.

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Fast travel is a much better than the grudging travel in the books. 

I still think they should have spent a bit more time establishing the passage of time in this series. The odd line here or there would do.

Nobody wants the Brienne story of "I'm looking for a girl" from the books it was terrible. Some of the stuff they skipped is for the better, the fucking Kingsmoot.

18 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

As do all movies and fantasy tv shows ever. 

Is it great? No. Is it necessary? Yes. Because money is not infinite and choices need to be made. Wasting money to have two episodes for a trek, with characters blabbering about just to satisfy people's needs for "immersion" instead of having huge fights with CG dragons (and -finally- reap the benefits of the conclusion of story arcs that have been building for years) would be a terrible, terrible idea.

The most disappointing thing is that people criticize because something looks to be wrong, even though it may be quite right if they could do some research. 

Spoiler

The problem is the shitty writing. The whole plot to go grab a zombie was just a device to get a dragon north of the wall. The fact it then required characters to betray themselves, time to slow time and the rules of the world to change just reinforces what a huge dip in quality we're witnessing.  They're fucking it up!