Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

1 hour ago, abc said:

Something I don't think we have t mentioned that was picked up on by this week's Cast of Kings was the flaming swords. Previously, the Brotherhood had to do a ritual (using their own blood IIRC) to light up the swords - now it's simply "flame on".  It's now done for convenience/coolness/action movie factor, rather than having an actual cost and being more organic.

Like the chains (only worse), it's a minor detail on its own, but it's systematic of the direction the show has gone in. There are a lot of little things like this adding up.

They ignite their blades using blood from their palms like they always have done.

It's amazing how many of these terrible glaring continuity errors are actually explained but people have ignored the explanation. Nearly as many as there are terrible blunders that only an insane pedant would even notice, let alone complain about.

Seems like there are a lot of "insane" people about in that case, sure you can just say yeah it doesn't bother me but when a show has previously taken great care of explaining how things work and happen within the world the way things are being washed over and rushed with no explanation will have people questioning it.

No one is hating man, people are discussing the show and the direction it's taken. It's still the best show by miles on TV but it's different and naturally people will take issue with that. It's not black and white, hate or love.

8 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

People also have to accept though that some things may simply have no explanation yet, because it's not their time to be explained, and not jump to the all too predictable hate wagon as soon as they believe something is wrong.

I feel like I'm Bran, because it's 2008 and I'm in the Lost discussion again.

From what I can see we have people raising their personal criticisms about the show (some I agree with, some I disagree with) and there's some posters flinging non-sequitur attacks back. Fair enough if you disagree with people, but counter their view and not just attack the poster.

55 minutes ago, Zael said:

I thought the canon was Thoros covered his sword in Wildfire and did it as a trick. He had to replace his sword every time he did it. 

I think it's only in the book that Thoros is a big old fraud; in the show they can legitimately make their swords flame.

I was aware that the redshirts were along for the trek but can see how people might have missed this, being on-screen only very briefly and in the background. Maybe should have chucked them a line or two along the road.

The battle scenes called to mind Band of Brothers, in which the action scenes are often pretty confusing and I couldn't tell who it was who had just died. If this is what they were going for then I think it worked well.

Flaming swords didn't seem to do as much as the dragon glass really. Thoros would still be alive if they hadn't ignited the bear on fire, as Jorah insta kills it with his dragon glass daggers. Bit daft when you have someone in your team so scared of fire he stands still doing nothing. Bit of a liability that.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Apologies if it has been posted before, but this theory blew my mind and can explain most of the details people complain about.

Warning: seriously mind blowing, series defining theory with potential:

Are there any leaked script spoilers in this?

In many ways, it's a different show now. In my opinion, it's still very good. Frustratingly, though, it could be much, much better if it still had the writing and directing quality of the past.

If I didn't care about the show, I wouldn't bother to be here. I thought Mr Robot was pretentious shite, but I didn't bother posting about it because I realise it's not for me - let the fans enjoy discussing it without me telling them I think it's shit. A show I love, on the other hand, is worth discussing.

It's really not a different show imo. Most of the criticisms have been from E6 and everything has been blown a bit out of proportion. The first five episodes have plenty of proper plot, dialogue and exposition. Things are happening in the show now, which is the right thing to do.

Does it have bad moments? Certainly. But the show needed to step up, enough with the built up. The direction could have been better, as some of the plot mechanics, but it's still very good and has some of the better series moments.

13 minutes ago, Daley said:

I think it's unquestionably a different show. The politics, scheming and backstabbing is largely over. If it was a movie this would be the last act full of action after all the build up.

It is, but in a sense that it has progressed in its final act, which makes sense for any book, tv show or movie ever. Things that happen in the final act are always different than the built up. What did you expect? Having the same backstabbing and politics that we had in the first season? That would be too boring and would make no sense imo. The show has always been about the bigger threat building up. Well, here it is.

7 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Martin has been writing for the TV many years before GoT. I sense that he may like it better these days than actual book writing.

Well he hasn't written any in a while and

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/winteriscoming.net/2017/07/14/george-r-r-martin-will-not-write-game-thrones-prequels-winds-finished/amp/

:omg:

Looks like he's written one episode per season up until 5, and now this one. So he's come back to construct something important. 

OOOHHHH the hype!