rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Spoiler

The horses are probably just well expensive to render on the battlefield. :ph34r:

Didn't seem too ridiculous to me, let's have em lads! The Dead only have a out 6 horses! Nobody can't withstand the might of the Dothraki on Horseback!!! That plus they had flaming swords! C'mon!!!

Oh no. :(

I for one am absolutely astounded that Greyworm survived. It was probably the biggest shock of the night.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Very glad I watched it this morning as some twat on Twitter just spoiled the whole episode purely to piss people off because 'he doesn't like Game of Thrones' so wanted to troll people who do.

I've now blocked and unfollowed him - why are some people such complete wankers?

Sadly, there's  lot of them about. It's why I sail the 7 seas to watch GoT when I am very against doing it normally, it becomes impossible to avoid tossers online. I normally get NowTV for each run, but am completely skint at the moment

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Re Bran

Hide contents

Only important thing he seems to have done was to have given Arya the dagger that finished off the NK. 

Spoiler

And baiting the Night King.

Spoiler

Like, we all knew the crypt was a bad place for all the kiddies to hide. We knew exactly what would happen in reality. So when it did happen and the first coffin burst open I laughed at the absurdity of their plan, and then started to cackle a bit when it all went to shit. I'm not sure that was the audience response they were going for when zombies start tearing through women protecting their children, but still...

Also, NowTV continues to make everything look like absolute ass.

• Upvote 2

It was a good episode (except for how fucking dark it was) but...

Spoiler

I can't help but think it would have been more powerful if there had been some more loss..We are there episodes from the end and I think losing Jamie, Bryan, Fat Monk Guy as well as  Sansa would have given the whole thing more weight. As is, they all came out of it relatively unscathed.

Spoiler

Yeah, I was enjoying the episode throughout but I was waiting for some hard-hitting loss(es) to come. In the end, those who died. I was just like.... yeah, alright. 

NK was this mysterious, super powerful being. Looking back, he'll always be the guy who takes far too long to get anywhere and killed a sausage-less man.

Onto the next one.

Overall I very much enjoyed The Battle of the Bastard Screen Contrast.

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

And baiting the Night King.

Spoiler

I mean yeah but that resulted in the death of hundreds of people.

Me for 95% of that episode.

59902518.jpg

It made me appreciate the work the Russo Brothers did in Infinity War and Endgame to make large scale scenes comprehensible and integrate satisfying character moments amongst the chaos. See also Peter Jackson adapting Helm's Deep in LotR. This show used to be pretty good at it as well.

This episode felt like watching an hour and a half long Christopher Nolan Batman fight scene.

• Upvote 5

I just need to say :

Spoiler

ARYA!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Unbelievable - always been my favourite character in the things that don't exist.

I was literally up out of my seat, fists in the air, magnificent.

Spoiler

Wow, just wow, did not see that coming, even after the "Not Today" line, but that was fucking brilliant.

Eddie from Iron Maiden and his mates just wandering in like they were on the guest list was great.

Then after it's over Bran just looks at Arya like "That'll do, pig" 

Theon went out well, Ser Friendzone went as you'd expect.

The Worst Witch stabbing the giant in the eye was amazing. 

Looks like a lot of people's plot armour kept them alive for a showdown with Cersei and the Golden company though.

Did Tormund make it? Going to need a rewatch, in a darker room. 

Is Jon's dragon dead then? 

• Upvote 6

My TV is pants so I hope I can see something! So hard not to read spoilers before I get home!

Remember - Bran knew everything that was going to happen...  fighting the Night King is what needs to happen in order for what happens next to happen.  

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Reveal hidden contents

Remember - Bran knew everything that was going to happen...  fighting the Night King is what needs to happen in order for what happens next to happen.  

Spoiler

I’m not sure that’s true actually. Afaik, Bran isn’t a green seer like Jojen. He’s the 3 eyed raven. He likely does have some future seeing powers but they are limited

6 hours ago, Stejay said:

I watched it on Sky Q in HD yet may as well have been watching much of it on a bootleg VHS tape. I wish I’d waiting and grabbed a torrent now instead.

To be fair I've found the other two episodes to have really poor encoding and bad artifacts, even when I'd download them. Really can't understand why it's happening for such a premium show.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Pf89uAi_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I hope this isn't real as the image just loaded up when I came onto the page :(

• Empathy 5

Not Today!!!!

I really enjoyed that even with a bit too much Michael Bay editing where you can't really tell what's going on. Surprised to read so many negative opinions here, I'll put it down to being tired and miserable on a Monday morning. For a TV Show that was fucking fantastic and Melisandre was critical, she got the trench lit! I love Carice van Houten so maybe I'm biased but yeah Arya, go girl!!!! So are the dragons alive or not, a bit confused by that? Also the NK surviving the dragons fire makes me think he was a Targaryan and maybe we'll find out a bit more of that later, or not and that's done. lady Mormont's death was probably the best as was Jorah's.

• Upvote 6

Spoiler

I liked how Jorah was trying to protect Danny within a literal friend zone.

• Upvote 7

yeap - having to watch this at 5:30 in the morning is having an impact on the whole 'event telly' part of it and I think that has a bit of an impact on impressions.  I want to be watching this at 9pm in the evening ... 

I mean - this was a battle on the scale of Helms Deep (not quite Pelanor Fields) on a FUCKING TELLY PROGRAMME!!

• Upvote 3

Season 8 is going to look amazing on UHD Blu-ray when you can actually see some detail in the dark areas because of the HDR. 

Hopefully. 

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

I broadly agree (tho I did still enjoy it) with much of the criticism the episode is getting. Especially the length. Much of the extra minutes would have been better spent in the preceding episodes building up tension and character arcs for example.

However it must be said that this has become a massively populist show and therefore they’re going to focus heavily on action.

Non book readers may hate the notion, but if you want a far more rounded experience, then the books are where you’ll find it, imo.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

As I suspected with my mixed emotions about the episode on first viewing this morning, the more time passes the less satisfying I am finding it.  There were undoubtedly excellent moments (The Dothraki charge, and Melisandre reminding Arya she would close many blue eyes were particular highlights for me), but on the grander story telling side of things it feels lacking.  The Night King built up over 8 seasons as this great threat to the entire world, who takes 8,000 years to finally break down the wall is defeated by the first decently defended castle he comes to!!!!  If he was so vulnerable why is he anywhere near the battle?  Plus absolutely no inventive twist whatsoever.  If they were going to kill of the Walker threat in one episode then they should have at least had Cersi have a change of heart and rock up with her forces to turn the tide of battle.  Then at least everyone is in the same place to sort out the battle for the Iron throne.  Instead we will have an episode lost next week to moving chess pieces around the board.  Not convinced following this episode that we are going to get a successful conclusion now, which is the first time I have felt that.:doh::omg::facepalm::mad: 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, strider said:

To be fair I've found the other two episodes to have really poor encoding and bad artifacts, even when I'd download them. Really can't understand why it's happening for such a premium show.

Yeah, I read that yet I didn’t have any problems myself. This week’s episode was spoiled in parts due to it though.

Great episode otherwise. My only complaint is

how some people somehow survived given how they were swamped by wights, and the fact there are no repercussions with the undead for Cersei for betraying them.

Edit: Shit! Sorry, I forgot spoiler tags initially. I hope I didn’t ruin anything for anyone.

3 minutes ago, JLM said:

Hide contents

They've already done people rocking up with their forces to turn the tide of battle multiple times though. That couldn't be further from an inventive twist.  Also I don't think the Night King was defeated by a decently defended castle. The castle would have fallen for sure. He was defeated by his need to kill Bran. It made him predictable and it made him expose himself. Everything was going pretty swimmingly for him up until then too, so perhaps it was good old fashioned villain hubris as well.

exactly

the NK had that victory in the bag... he just didn't bank on the worlds greatest killer being there and he missjudged the three eyed raven.