Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

38 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Reveal hidden contents

Why was the Night King's armour resistant to dragon fire? Would it have been sillier if he'd approached Bran in the nude? I try not to ask too many questions of GoT.

I love questions like this.

"The realism in this show is Rubbish, Why didn't the armour melt on the 8000 year old undead Jesus of the zombies, who can raise the the dead to serve for him, when he was engulfed in flame by a dragon who was carrying his fireproof human mother :quote:"

Superman's suit is actually his skin. When he takes off the Clark Kent disguise he is fully nude. He has the cape because he used to have really fat shoulders then dropped the weight too suddenly. #Superfacts.

53 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The relevant section from his intro in the books.

* Bonus points if a non-book reader can guess who GRRM 'the American Tolkien' was actually referring to.

Theon?

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

The relevant section from his intro in the books.

* Bonus points if a non-book reader can guess who GRRM 'the American Tolkien' was actually referring to.

Ive read the books but I can’t remember this. I feel like it’s 

Spoiler

Sam

but I think that’s from other people sarcastically quoting it in here.

13 hours ago, JLM said:

Hide contents

I’d rather have most of my major players still on stage for the final act than have them killed by monsters

Exactly how I felt going in, which is why I said they wouldn't be able to square it in a satisfying way. For monsters they're quite generic, and so anyone they kill suffers a mundanely extinguished character arc. And of course the alternative leaves them as villains-of-the-week from a He-Man comic, where after an initial show of force that seems unstoppable, their weakspot's revealed and they're vanilla hench thereafter.

I'd have concluded at the end of S7 or made an effort to go somewhere with the backstory, obviously with the high risk of making it even worse. There's still time for old Bran to Ken-do-something, I suppose.

Jon Snow turning down the crown and setting up something more democratic etc. Something better than those I guess but I’m just spitballin’ ideas here.

Jon opens an artisan shop in Gin Alley, employing Davos who doesn't understand the world any more.

3 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

How is superman's suit also invincible?

Spoiler

Depends on which lore you base it on. Some have it being made from material from Krypton, the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby which is indestructible. Or another is that his entire body is surrounded by an aura so skin tight clothes etc. would be fine because it extends from his body like a shield. In some versions he just has alien tech which can replicate suits that are highly resistant to damage and can be replaced quite easily (think Incredibles :lol:).

On 02/05/2019 at 08:29, BeeJay said:

To be able to get under the armour of the nk

He had to be close to Bran to let his emotional guard down. As foreshadowed by his crestfallen face as Billy-no-mates on that ice lake.

50 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Hide contents

Depends on which lore you base it on. Some have it being made from material from Krypton, the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby which is indestructible. Or another is that his entire body is surrounded by an aura so skin tight clothes etc. would be fine because it extends from his body like a shield. In some versions he just has alien tech which can replicate suits that are highly resistant to damage and can be replaced quite easily (think Incredibles :lol:).

Pretty amazing that in this - of all threads - you've made a post about 400% nerdier than any other

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Hide contents

It’s a shame because many of the shot compositions are gorgeous. It was definitely a money influenced decision. Surprising really considering the amount of money you’d think hbo would be willing to spend.

Perhaps 2 battles in a season was asking too much but even so, it is the last season.

2 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

It’s a shame because many of the shot compositions are gorgeous. It was definitely a money influenced decision. Surprising really considering the amount of money you’d think hbo would be willing to spend.

Perhaps 2 battles in a season was asking too much but even so, it is the last season.

I've heard that ep was between 11-15m. Thats a staggering amount for an episode of TV. If they were drawing to the horizon for 80 mins of battle it would have been a $100m episode.

Kings Landing had best be epic though, because thats two box episodes and a corner cut for half the season.

obviously the bright version is far , far too bright , and the dark version is too dark, somewhere in the middle would be nice , but I think the atmosphere is better is the darker version .

11 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I've heard that ep was between 11-15m. Thats a staggering amount for an episode of TV. If they were drawing to the horizon for 80 mins of battle it would have been a $100m episode.

Kings Landing had best be epic though, because thats two box episodes and a corner cut for half the season.

Aye, it’s a mind numbing amount. But why not lay a marker down and go all in. You’d of had a reference episode/on screen battle, which would have lasted and been talked about for a generation. That’s just me tho.

Given the corners cut here, it'll be interesting how they handle the Kings Landing battle, if they don’t have the crutch of darkness again.

24 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Sorry but it really, really wasn’t a money based decision. GoT shoots on camera called the Alexa, meaning the VFX will have been done in a format called LogC (I’m sure the VFX posters here can back me up on this) where everything would have been visible regardless. It was a creative decision made during the grade, and it worked for me, on my screen at least. I’m looking forward to properly seeing it without compression though.

I do have a personal suspicion that they mastered this season for HDR and produced the SDR version we all watch as a trim-pass afterwards though. If so the ‘standard’ version of the episode we’ve all been watching so far may have potentially received slightly less attention than it normally would. Dolby’s current tools for doing this are impressive but they do kinda shear off the highlights to an extent.

4 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

It really, really wasn’t a money based decision. All the VFX will have been done in log (I’m sure the VFX posters here can back me up with this) where everything would have been visible regardless. It was a creative decision made during the grade, and it worked for me, on my screen at least. I’m looking forward to properly seeing it without compression though.

I do have a personal suspicion that they mastered this season for HDR and produced the SDR version we all watch as a trim-pass afterwards though. If so the ‘standard’ version of the episode we’ve all been watching so far may have potentially received slightly less attention than it normally would. Dolby’s current tools for doing this are impressive but they do kinda shear off the highlights to an extent.

Had exactly the same thought first time I saw the new title sequence - ridiculously high detail compared to previous