rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

This was actually shit. Quite possibly the worst episode of Game of Thrones on record. I’ve pretty much lost all interest in how this ends :(

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, kensei said:

Hide contents

Also Bronn was an absolute caricature of himself. Compare him telling Tyrion he won't fight for him to the ridiculous scene here.

Or written in this new club style...

— He and Tyrion haggle until they settle on Casterly Rock

— Bronn's down and hurt, but as the Mountain steps forward he pulls his dagger and stabs him in the balls
— As the Mountain stumbles around in agony, Bronn gets up, turns his back on the big lad, and starts showboating for the crowd
— The Mountain's hands suddenly appear at the sides of Bronn's head

Another meh episode I thought, setting up plots that will be resolved in two more episodes.

Also 

Spoiler

does anyone give a shit about Hollyoaks other than GloWorm?

Still, battle next episode I guess. So hooray.

I know the books don't exist, but the pivotal scene in this episode makes so much more sense with book Euron vs. show Euron.

It's surprising that GRRM let them leave that object out.

• Upvote 5

OK, so when did Game of Thrones jump the shark?

For me it was:

Spoiler

...when Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandei sat around telling jokes to each other.

29 minutes ago, kensei said:

It's amazing how much better it used to be. 

That is a great performance from a well written script. It oozes atmospheric detail about what is to come.

Shame none of that has been realised. Shouldn't King's Landing be in the depths of Winter by now? Its like none of them could be arsed and were too busy writing Star Wars.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:

OK, so when did Game of Thrones jump the shark?

For me it was:

Reveal hidden contents

...when Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandei sat around telling jokes to each other.

I don't think you can point to a single moment, it's a general drift down in quality with still some amazing highs. But this killed my hopes we were going to get a streamlined, improved version of Feasts and Dance 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

That is a great performance from a well written script. It oozes atmospheric detail about what is to come.

Shame none of that has been realised. Shouldn't King's Landing be in the depths of Winter by now? Its like none of them could be arsed and were too busy writing Star Wars.

Aye, what the fuck happened to this

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, kensei said:

Also once again, what's the fucking point of Bran?

When the Starks launch their attack on King's Landing, I think he'll demand to lead the van, fulfilling his destiny as Bran Van 3000.

Actually, where's that YouTube comment...

“Tie Bran’s wheelchair to Jorah’s horse and drag him behind the horde. Give him dragonglass wheels. Night King BTFO”

45 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Also, Euron Greyjoy is possibly the worst character in Game of Thrones, and certainly the worst ‘villain’.

Hide contents

He kind of worked as a throwaway character acting as a bump in the road for Theon, but he really isn’t worthy of what he’s become. About as dull and one dimensional as you can get.

His jacket seriously annoys me, it's like something from Topshop.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Also, Euron Greyjoy is possibly the worst character in Game of Thrones, and certainly the worst ‘villain’.

Reveal hidden contents

He kind of worked as a throwaway character acting as a bump in the road for Theon, but he really isn’t worthy of what he’s become. About as dull and one dimensional as you can get.

Nah that’s Ramsey the invincible 

7 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I actually really enjoyed that, thought most people here would have as well. I think we need to get something straight though-

the books suffered a great deterioration in quality and plotting to the point where they will never be finished. That means that a lot of criticisms seem to be comparisons to some imagined perfection, which could never be matched.

Totally, the show definitely worked better when it could cherry pick the best bits from the books and was strongest when it had the best quality source material to draw from.

As the show suffers from having to speed things up to get people where they need to be , the books had to draw out some characters to painfully slow, dull, podding arcs while waiting for other strands to catch up.  

12 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Nah that’s Ramsey the invincible 

7sjBMm8.gif

46 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I know the books don't exist, but the pivotal scene in this episode makes so much more sense with book Euron vs. show Euron.

For the benefit of heathens?

I thought we’d reached a consensus that the great divide was Game of Thrones pre and post combat roll.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I actually really enjoyed that, thought most people here would have as well. I think we need to get something straight though-

the books suffered a great deterioration in quality and plotting to the point where they will never be finished. That means that a lot of criticisms seem to be comparisons to some imagined perfection, which could never be matched.

This. Coupled with loads of characters, and a huge number of theories, all of which coming true would upset someone. Characters acting stupid isn’t something that’s just started in this last couple of seasons - cf. any decision Jon Snow ever made. Dany acting up a bit isn’t something new either: she was pretty tyrannical before she ever crossed the sea, and only freed slaves because it gave her an army.

• Upvote 1

I also think the Brienne Jaime arc is excellent.

She has only ever loved one man before, whose death she absolutely wept over, and from season 3 onwards it’s been made explicitly clear she’s falling in love with Jaime, who is now riding to his death. And Jaime is clearly riding to kill Cersei, whether to prevent her torture, or make sure she loses, theirs is a fucked up relationship.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, footle said:

This. Coupled with loads of characters, and a huge number of theories, all of which coming true would upset someone. Characters acting stupid isn’t something that’s just started in this last couple of seasons - cf. any decision Jon Snow ever made. Dany acting up a bit isn’t something new either: she was pretty tyrannical before she ever crossed the sea, and only freed slaves because it gave her an army.

Also worth pointing out D&D asked to do the show on the understanding GRRM would have finished the books by now, and before the most recent book was published.

Still no excuse for Dorne though.

Complaints about stupidity in this episode aren't built upon an assumption that there hasn't been stupidity in past episodes.

• Upvote 2

I lolled:

They clearly made a decision like 5 seasons back that the Direwolf CGI was too expensive, and it wouldn't impact the show as badly as cutting back in other areas. To be fair they're probably right.

Spoiler

At least when Arya was saying goodbye to Nymeria, it kind of made sense that she didn't flop over and ask for belly rubs. She was a wild animal at that point. But all Ghost gets is a nod from across the courtyard? Which he somehow interprets as a goodbye and makes a whimpering sound? I mean I get that actually having a Direwolf interact with an actor probably puts the cost of a scene up by £100k or some insane amount. But it just felt a bit daft.

This episode was decent enough. Gwendoline Christie continues to be among the best of the cast, hope we've not seen the last of her. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Didn't pod say he was a Virgin? Lying shit

And I agree

Reveal hidden contents

Why would cersei not kill tyrion? He killed her dad and favourite son!

2 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Pod had the trip to the brothel a few seasons ago where he got somewhat of a reputation.

I think the nodding during the game was for...

Reveal hidden contents

Brienne being the virgin.

I don’t think Pod has ever penetrated a lady’s part. The girls at the brothel were very happy with his skills in other departments if I remember right. 

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

I think the foreshadowing of Danerys turning to the dark side is so unsubtle that it will turn out to be a patsy.  I might end up looking silly next week, but I predict she is going to about turn and end up winning the throne by the end of episode 6.

The abysmal battle tactics of this lot are starting to get on my tits.

• Upvote 9