IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

Finally got round to watching the finale last night.

I've not been a big fan of this series, so it was with great relief to see the disparate plot strands finally get woven back together.

Highlight was definitely the scene between Roose Bolton and Walder Frey. The premise was very Shakespearean - two lords discussing their diabolical plot out loud in a hall, so I appreciated the blocking of the scene and the actor's delivery being in accordance to this. It was fun and the show could use a few more scenes like this going on - in my last post I lamented the end of Tywin's scenes with Arya and this reminded me of them. I hope that the plots coalescing will allow for more of these indulgent scenes.

Thinking again in the interest of 'less storylines, more story' per episode, I'd actually quite like to see Arya be written out relatively early on in Season 4 as she leaves to begin her training as an assassin. I think it could be interesting for the audience to have largely forgotten about her so that when she returns to dole out justice to the surviving villains in the epilogue it will be all the more satisfying to see.

I'm just conjecturing by the way. I've not read any of the books or anything.

Finally got round to watching the finale last night.

I've not been a big fan of this series, so it was with great relief to see the disparate plot strands finally get woven back together.

Highlight was definitely the scene between Roose Bolton and Walder Frey. The premise was very Shakespearean - two lords discussing their diabolical plot out loud in a hall, so I appreciated the blocking of the scene and the actor's delivery being in accordance to this. It was fun and the show could use a few more scenes like this going on - in my last post I lamented the end of Tywin's scenes with Arya and this reminded me of them. I hope that the plots coalescing will allow for more of these indulgent scenes.

Thinking again in the interest of 'less storylines, more story' per episode, I'd actually quite like to see Arya be written out relatively early on in Season 4 as she leaves to begin her training as an assassin. I think it could be interesting for the audience to have largely forgotten about her so that when she returns to dole out justice to the surviving villains in the epilogue it will be all the more satisfying to see.

I'm just conjecturing by the way. I've not read any of the books or anything.

Books?

Yes, which motivated me to try out that White Queen show, knowing that its the War of the Roses again, so basically should be a bit like GoT, right? Or at least as entertaining as Wolf Hall was (seriously good novel, a bit like GoT with real people and events, in terms of tone and complexity).

Wrong. It did make me realise what a brilliant job HBO have done of this. Can you imagine if the BBC had got their hands on it instead? It'd be all shiny, happy, anachronistically pretty people with wonderful hair and lovely dresses, lifelessly delivering hokey mills and boon-esque dialogue in stagey RP accents. It's kind of ridiculous that GoT is probably the most realistic costume drama ever filmed. Thank the seven for HBO.

That Jon Snow training montage video above is funny, but man, I totally forgot the golden rule of GoT - always assume the comments to anything GoT-related on the internet will be full of future-spoilers. :(

This thread is like my GoT safehouse. I don't read or watch anything GoT related outside of here. I even had a purge of people I follow on twitter who watch the download and were tweeting spoilery stuff during the day on Monday.

The net is dark and full of spoilers...

It's that awful time again. No new episode tomorrow.

We've been watching them all back again since season three ended. S2E9 (Blackwater Bay) I think must still be the most epic episode of the show. Not only the massive splodes, and battles, but a lot of serious character work going on. Plus Jon Snow trudging around the mountains, but it can't all be amazing.

That Jon Snow training montage video above is funny, but man, I totally forgot the golden rule of GoT - always assume the comments to anything GoT-related on the internet will be full of future-spoilers. :(

Yeah, I did the same with that one. It's just a reflex to check the top-rated comments though I don't really know why as it often leads to despair even without any spoilers.

I'm trying to convince myself that what I read was just speculation based on the show so far but it's not really working.

Aye, never read anything outside of this thread or pre-approved sources. Sometimes, it might be best just to not read at all.

Or think. My mind goes into overdrive when people mention that they've seen spoilers. My mind is the biggest spoiler of all.

Don't go on IMDB message boards, I went there once thinking I was safe because im up to date with TV and there were some spoilers in the topic titles, maybe fake spoilers I dunno but you can't really open the topic to clarify it

Yeah, I did the same with that one. It's just a reflex to check the top-rated comments though I don't really know why as it often leads to despair even without any spoilers.

I'm trying to convince myself that what I read was just speculation based on the show so far but it's not really working.

I’m trying to let go of this spoiler mentality anyway, as it’s not a particularly pleasurable way to experience something – given that the GoT TV programme seems to be being made at the rate of one book every two years, to avoid spoilers I’d have to spend the next few years living in a kind of fantasy-themed version of that episode of The Likely Lads. The stress of avoiding spoilers almost overpowers the enjoyment of actually watching the show; in the Terminator 2 thread on here, people were bemoaning the fact that they’d never had a completely cold viewing of the film – i.e. watching it without knowing that Arnie was the good guy this time round – despite the fact that I would be surprised if literally anyone who was interested enough in the film to even care whether Arnie was the baddie or not had ever seen Terminator 2 that way.

If you care so much about spoilers that you’re letting the idea of an unattainable ‘perfect’ viewing detract from your enjoyment of one of the best films ever, then you’re probably doing it wrong. The same goes for GoT – it’s not a magic trick, it’s a narrative. Knowing that Rocky loses at the end doesn’t make the film any less enjoyable, and the same goes for GoT.

That said, none of the above is working for me and I am still in deep mourning over the death of my spoiler innocence, but this is no way for an adult man to live his life.

Let it go. Free yourselves from the tyranny of spoilers. In fact, I’ll help you all by posting loads of unmarked spoilers about the fate of various characters in this here thread, like a less hairy English version of Frankie Boyle.