IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

So good. 

Bacon, wrapped in sausage wrapped in bacon. 

I used Pitt cue's house rub throughout and made a glaze from brown sugar, red wine vinegar and bbq sauce. 

The outside was crystalline. 

I was basically the living embodiment of the homer drool gif. I had a slice on a burger. 

I'm not loving the proQ briquettes,  I seem to need loads of them to get decent temperatures,  I think I'm going back to lump wood. 

I made some fantastic ribs today with memphis dust rubs,  they weren't ready until 9:30 though so they've gone in the fridge for tomorrow and I had an alternative dinner, so disappointing. 

I did a little sirloin joint today, 775g so like a double/triple steak - used the Slow n Sear again but differently so it was running the indirect side at 200c to cook and then seared it at the end. I also used charcoal rather than briquettes and I have to say for this type of cooking I do prefer charcoal!

Turned out great, medium as I should have seared it at a lower temp but did the veg and mushrooms on the BBQ too.

File%2014-08-2016%2C%2023%2050%2058.jpeg

It was pretty rudimentary, to be honest. Rub was a 1:1:1 mix of cumin, smoked paprika, and garlic salt.

It is indeed a Weber Mastertouch - it had about 7 hours in there with the lid temp hovering around 175. Pulled the meat out just short of 90. Tray full of water under the lamb, small pile of charcoal off to one side with the occasional lump of applewood for smoke. Required the occasional top-up and that was it.

I was really pleased with it - good smoke ring, the bark was incredibly flavoursome, the meat was tender and juicy without going mushy. Will definitely do lamb shoulder again.

I love lamb shoulder. Tend to marinate it overnight in olive oil (ideally the oil left over from anchovies) garlic, rosemary and lemon juice. Cooked for 3-4 hours using indirect heat on BBQ. Served with green salad, flat bread and tzatziki. 

We're having a BBQ this coming weekend and after getting inspiration from here I really want to do some low & slow beef or pork to make a change from the usual burgers & sausages.  

I was looking at this to get an idea on technique: http://www.instructables.com/id/Pulled-pork-on-a-Weber-kettle-grill/?ALLSTEPS

But to summarise, pile coals up to one side and light a small number.  Once ashen place on top of the unlit coals, place tray with water next to coals, put cooking grill on and place meat over tray.  Shut the lid and then play with the vents until its 250F inside and then leave until the meat is around 190F inside.  

Is that basically it?  The only think concerning me about doing this for the first time with guests coming over is if it ends up taking too long and they all end up sat about hungry while my wife gives me evil looks and I stare intently at my brand new wireless meat thermometer. :D

thats your basic indirect setup covered - if you're going low and slow you want something with a decent fat content to keep it moist and if going pork you need to decide if you're after some crackling or want a nice rub/bark to form on the outside.

allow more time than you think you need, you can always foil wrap if its ready early and then wrap that in towels (even better if you got a cooler to stick in then too), amazing how long it stays hot for (hour or 2 no worries) and the juices redistribute ready for pulling.

I've done pulled pork in the slow cooker loads of times so really fancy doing brisket this time around and want the proper burnt end crispy outside.  Good to know it can be wrapped to stay hot for an extended period of time as once it's done I'd like to reset the BBQ and do some kebabs & sausages and serve up everything together.

I'm ashamed to admit that so far this summer I've only used the charcoal that comes in the fuel impregnated bags, so going to try some proper charcoal this time.  The stuff I can get from Tesco/B&Q is probably not the best, but it has to be a lot better than what I have been using right?  Are Brickettes or lumpwood best for long slow cooking?

the briquette vs charcoal lump is a very loaded topic in BBQ circles !

a brisket takes a long time to do if you are going properly low and slow on a decent sized one, I had one in last summer for almost 18-20h - that will be hard to maintain in a smaller Weber, not impossible, but a lot of graft. If you cook brisket more quickly at a higher temp it can be a bit tougher - have a look at the amazing ribs site for info about timing & techniques for it.

Also this may give some pointers, people queue first thing every morning for his lunch serving and bring chairs to sit in - he got voted best BBQ joint recently so knows a thing or 2 about Texas style brisket 

I picked up a 4lb brisket flat yesterday along with some charcoal (briquettes & lumpwood) and some smoking chips.  Frustratingly I got the charcoal from B&Q and it's their own brand as thats all they had left.  The guy there said that our local Waitrose of all places had smoking chips so I went over there and they also had Big K charcoal.  I know where I'll be going for all my BBQ related stuff from now on!

Anyway, the more I read the more I find different cooking techniques including cooking it in the oven and then just browning it off on the BBQ which seems like cheating.  As I've got a small piece of meat I'm going to try and do the whole thing on the BBQ and wrap it in foil once it gets up to about 160-170 to hopefully prevent it from drying out.  Roll on Sunday!

Doing some quick grilling tonight on my barbecue, any recommendations for a quick chicken kebab marinade/rub I can do when I get in from work?

I haven't had the time to do any kind of prep work so no longer cooks for me today.

I'd recommend a shoulder of pork for pulled-pork. Remove the fat and cook crackling separately. 

I have used the snake method where you make a ring of charcoal around the edge and I have also just done indirect heat (cooks hotter). Both in Webber and both with good results. 

I'd use briquettes for slow cooking. I use it for most things as it gets hot enough and lasts longer. I save charcoal for steaks. 

We've having some friends over for a BBQ on Monday and I was talking to my friend at work who is a keen BBQ'er and is into 'low and slow'  and the Pitt Cue book. He very kindly bought me a copy of the book and although I'm a novice to this sort of BBQing I'm eager to try a few things out on Monday. Problem is I'm lacking much of the kit and wondered if I could get some advice on what to buy.

The only thing I've currently got is a cheap supermarket kettle bbq. I'd like to get:

A decent starter kettle BBQ (Weber?) budget around £150

A BBQ chimney starter. I've found this AMOS one, but not sure whether to go for the Weber ones instead?

Some decent charcoal / briquettes

Some wood chunks

Now this is all a bit last minute but I have Amazon Prime and could get the chimney for instance delivered tomorrow. Otherwise I'm going to have to source stuff from shops tomorrow. I'd appreciate any advice on starter gear, thanks.

Oh yeah, I'm planning to cook:

Smoked whole chicken

Pork Ribs

Chuck Steak on bone

Beefburgers

Sausages

Boerewors

3 hours ago, Rockboy said:

We've having some friends over for a BBQ on Monday and I was talking to my friend at work who is a keen BBQ'er and is into 'low and slow'  and the Pitt Cue book. He very kindly bought me a copy of the book and although I'm a novice to this sort of BBQing I'm eager to try a few things out on Monday. Problem is I'm lacking much of the kit and wondered if I could get some advice on what to buy.

The only thing I've currently got is a cheap supermarket kettle bbq. I'd like to get:

A decent starter kettle BBQ (Weber?) budget around £150

A BBQ chimney starter. I've found this AMOS one, but not sure whether to go for the Weber ones instead?

Some decent charcoal / briquettes

Some wood chunks

Now this is all a bit last minute but I have Amazon Prime and could get the chimney for instance delivered tomorrow. Otherwise I'm going to have to source stuff from shops tomorrow. I'd appreciate any advice on starter gear, thanks.

Oh yeah, I'm planning to cook:

Smoked whole chicken

Pork Ribs

Chuck Steak on bone

Beefburgers

Sausages

Boerewors

Where about are you, if any where Norwich I could do you a good rllmuk deal on a new Mastertouch with chimney starter!?

On 22 August 2016 at 14:52, Jonny5 said:

We're having a BBQ this coming weekend and after getting inspiration from here I really want to do some low & slow beef or pork to make a change from the usual burgers & sausages.  

I was looking at this to get an idea on technique: http://www.instructables.com/id/Pulled-pork-on-a-Weber-kettle-grill/?ALLSTEPS

But to summarise, pile coals up to one side and light a small number.  Once ashen place on top of the unlit coals, place tray with water next to coals, put cooking grill on and place meat over tray.  Shut the lid and then play with the vents until its 250F inside and then leave until the meat is around 190F inside.  

Is that basically it?  The only think concerning me about doing this for the first time with guests coming over is if it ends up taking too long and they all end up sat about hungry while my wife gives me evil looks and I stare intently at my brand new wireless meat thermometer. :D

I found the snake method works better than whats on that site (basically minion) as minion always seems to run hotter until I got the slow n sear thing. You will hit a stall with pork or brisket where the temp just holds for ages, its when the meat is causing condensation and actually cooling itself at the same rate the temp should rise - at this point you can wrap it in foil and shave a good couple of hours off the cooking time if it comes to it.

I know you have bought a brisket but I would advise against it on your first cook as it takes much longer than pork and many a pro will end up with a dry bit of meat at the end - it makes great chilli!

Dangerous game this smoking tho, you will be buying a dedicated smoker within a year but good luck :)

12 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I found the snake method works better than whats on that site (basically minion) as minion always seems to run hotter until I got the slow n sear thing. You will hit a stall with pork or brisket where the temp just holds for ages, its when the meat is causing condensation and actually cooling itself at the same rate the temp should rise - at this point you can wrap it in foil and shave a good couple of hours off the cooking time if it comes to it.

I know you have bought a brisket but I would advise against it on your first cook as it takes much longer than pork and many a pro will end up with a dry bit of meat at the end - it makes great chilli!

Dangerous game this smoking tho, you will be buying a dedicated smoker within a year but good luck :)

Didnt see this until after I'd started. Have had the vents closed since starting and it's running way too hot. I've tried taking lit coals out and water sprays but it's still sticking around 350 rather than 250. At this point I'm going to leave it to smoke for a while before wrapping in foil and sticking it in the oven.