IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

15 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I nearly bought one last year as they were all the rage but on a BBQ group I'm on there were loads of complaints about them and needing to pretty heavily mod them for best results - I decided that spending the extra on the Weber was the way forward as less space taken up etc!

The availability of Kamados has really improved in the last couple of years. When I first heard of them you could only really buy the Big Green Egg from one seller in Limerick (naturally enough I limited my search to Ireland) but a few places have picked up the Kamado Joe and you can now buy Primo grills in Galway so I went and had a look at one today. They are very impressive but I'd need to sort out a proper patio area before I could consider buying one as it'd be a waste to get one and limit yourself to only using it during summer, especially an Irish summer. That's like five days. 

Still, the fact that getting quality charcoal would no longer be a massive ballache has piqued my interest again.  

I am biased as have a primo XL but I think its by far the best of the Kamado's, its the most flexible and the divided firebox and shape really makes 2 zone cooking easy with plenty of space on both sides (especially if you get the shelf stack extenders.

Only thing I'm really aware Primo doesn't support, which the Kamado Joe has, is a dedicated rotisserie.

Used mine all year round for 4y now and love it

I've set up the Webber with the snake to slow cook the remaining beef ribs while I take son #1 to London for the day (Star Wars Identities exhibition). 

Lit some coals and and put them at the end of the snake. Leave detailed instructions with my wife (not really detailed, just to monitor temperature and at what point to part- close vents). :ph34r:

It's not getting up to temp so I ask her to blow the coals. 

She tells me one side has gone out!  I have to explain the snake method via slow ponderous texts. 

Thanks. For some reason the temp has been a bit low and has fluctuated between 200 and 235ish according to the reports. I'll be home in about an hour so I can see what it looks like and crank the temperature up as necessary. 

It sounds like she has done a good job. She has nursed it and blown/moved the coals to get the temp up.   She is sensible and can cook- she just doesn't need to do anything complicated or unusual because I always do.  

1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

Thanks. For some reason the temp has been a bit low and has fluctuated between 200 and 235ish according to the reports. I'll be home in about an hour so I can see what it looks like and crank the temperature up as necessary. 

It sounds like she has done a good job. She has nursed it and blown/moved the coals to get the temp up.   She is sensible and can cook- she just doesn't need to do anything complicated or unusual because I always do.  

That sounds perfect, the guides always aim for 200-275 and when that low will just mean longer cooking time!, its been very windy here today so dunn if thats nationwide but seems to have a big effect on the temp of the Weber so could explain it?

I had a odd issue last night with some Aldi briquettes I had from last year, they took an age to be ready in the chimney and then never really put out much heat - plan was to indirect some pork belly slices and then cook everything else later on the direct size - must have taken an hour and half to get it all done when really 30 mins should have been more than enough! It all tasted amazing, may have to experiment with doing burgers more like this because they were just amazing - I had to keep putting the lid on for 5/10mins at a time to try and cook them and after that just banked up the coals to sear them so pretty much a reverse sear on them.

53 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

That's my issue with ribs, so much work and you end up with something so tiny!

Yeah but its the quality of what you're eating, I had some beef ribs that a mate did with some raspberry based glaze that made me question the point of life itself - they were so good it actually made some of the more ordinary stuff seem pointless but they were incredibly rich so you physically wouldn't want to eat too much at a time!

I can still feel that pocket of fat pop in my mouth and the flavour explosion thereafter 

File%2021-06-2017,%2014%2022%2021.jpeg?d

Finally got around to coverting my old Char-Broil 14x24 " gas to charcoal -  at the cost of nothing.

Ripped out the pipping and just added an old 5" cast iron plate to put my charcoals on.

Annnnd then blew the cost of a new BBQ on a set of 3x Grillgrates!

So i presume i'm late to the late to the game with Grillgrates and in fact most of you have them?

Also looking for a good thermometer. Would guess i'd need to drill a hole for the sensor to sit in?

BBQ types always talk about tru tell thermometers I think as the go to brand.

Always then best to calibrate them simply by chucking them in a pan of water on a rolling boil - then you're away

Personally I don't use grill grates - like a few toys like temp controllers for the pit but when it comes to the cooking I keep it super simple and just go direct or indirect 

I've never heard of grill grates and having looked them up it seems a bit odd to me. It's like cooking on a griddle pan that's sat on your BBQ, but could just as easily be on a gas hob? 

As for converting ting gas to charcoal, does it have a lid and anyway to control airflow? I think I'd have spent the money on a proper charcoal BBQ and sold/binned the gas one, sorry!

24 minutes ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

HELP ME BBQ GODS!

I'm doing a BBQ for 75 people on Saturday... has anyone done a large scale BBQ before?

I've ordered up 150 Burgers and 150 Sausages (2 of each for everyone)... 

I'm after any tips to help the cooking go smoothly

Key thing is to set-up zones on the grill

Zone 1 - raw/just put on

Zone 2 - slowly cooking 

Zone 3 - ready, keep warm

Zone 4 - ready to be served (this zone can be a separate foil trail near the grill itself)

Also if you have space on the girll, use an iron pan or foil tray to keep a constant supply of fried onions.

2 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

I've never heard of grill grates and having looked them up it seems a bit odd to me. It's like cooking on a griddle pan that's sat on your BBQ, but could just as easily be on a gas hob? 

As for converting ting gas to charcoal, does it have a lid and anyway to control airflow? I think I'd have spent the money on a proper charcoal BBQ and sold/binned the gas one, sorry!

Got a lid but I'll do something about air control later.  There's holes basically 

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Zone 1 - raw/just put on

Zone 2 - slowly cooking 

Zone 4 - ready to be served (this zone can be a separate foil trail near the grill itself)

Also if you have space on the girll, use an iron pan or foil tray to keep a constant supply of fried onions.

Sweet, its a double sized charcoal jobbie so that should be do'able... was planning on using a large roasting tin for the onions.

20 hours ago, meatbin said:

Zone 1 - raw/just put on

Zone 2 - slowly cooking 

This is definitely good advice. I have done BBQs for a school fair for about three years and you definitely need a system like the one outlined above. 

You really need need to cook well ahead of time. Try to make use of indirect cooking to make sure things (particularly sausages) are cooked through. 

So you want a zone of direct for burgers and browning (and the onions) and a zone of indirect for cooking things through and keeping warm. Ideally you want a thermometer for making sure the meat is cooked. 

Two of each sounds like a lot so you want to be keeping things cold until you are ready to cook. Ideally a cool box by the BBQ. 

You our will have your hands full just cooking that lot and making sure it is cooked but not burning. Plan ahead. Start well in advance (things can be kept warm) and you definitely need people to be doing the other stuff (rolls etc) as you'll struggle to manage to do both. 

Also make ale sure there is someone on hand to bring you cold beer and cold water. It's hot work. 

Going to try a chicken on the rotisserie tomorrow, we have one thats stuffed - can't imagine that will matter but will report back, chap who I have borrowed to from says you won't want to eat an oven cooked chicken again after trying one done on the rotisserie so I am expecting good things!

On 16/06/2017 at 09:34, Gotters said:

I got some sausages from Ginger Pig last week and they've always been really good, but seemed to have upped their game even more and we thought they were amazing this time.

Had Turner & George and all the local butchers home made efforts and these were a level above everything else.

Never found the holy grail of sausages again though in GP, the pork black pudding and strawberry - sounds horrible but they were wonderful and only saw them once, got the stuff in to make sausages with my kitchen aide but never got round to it, this will be the first thing I try to make.

This weekend I'm planning to do some 3-2-1 ribs. 3h with rub indirect, 2h wrapped in foil with some sugar/juice (going Johnny Trigg style) then 1h open again sauced.

Ginger Pig sausages are far and away the best I've ever had. I wasn't that enamoured with the Turner & George ones tbh, they are cheaper than GP but imo aren't anywhere near as nice.

Boom! Went really well! Used the zone technique and smashed it! Did have a queue at one point as about 20 people all turned up at the same time! I've got a thermometer probe so I
Made sure all the burgers/sausages that went on at the same time were properly cooked... end result was no charcoled food!!

14aa6bbe2eaabe5be34929942ff92ed8.jpgc799bfcb974e465771b92559562363bb.jpg0c602345945f3262193d80831e2526bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk