IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

On 7/23/2017 at 18:24, Gotters said:

Here you go - all pretty straight forward - but had to hunt a bit for the apple jelly in the final glaze (found some on ebay from a farm shop).

so much going on in the flavour, trust the recipe, especially the middle step with butter/sugar/honey

I'm thinking about doing a variation on this at the weekend. 

My plan would be to do the initial cook either in the oven, or sous vide, and then finish in an oven with the butter/sugar etc. 

I won't have access to a smoker, but does that sound like it'd work? I was tempted to use prague power to counter the lack of smoke, but I suspect that would just make the pork belly taste like bacon.

7 hours ago, schmojo said:

I'm thinking about doing a variation on this at the weekend. 

My plan would be to do the initial cook either in the oven, or sous vide, and then finish in an oven with the butter/sugar etc. 

I won't have access to a smoker, but does that sound like it'd work? I was tempted to use prague power to counter the lack of smoke, but I suspect that would just make the pork belly taste like bacon.

Don't think it would work with belly, first few hours gets the fat rendering going on as well as the smoke, the sous vide isnt very good at that and think you'll get a lump of hard fat out of it.

Think it would need to be all oven, maybe a few drops of liquid smoke in the initial stage ?

I'm tempted to give both methods a go, if I can find the impetus/don't go to the pub tonight.

I've managed to render fat nicely at about 80 degrees before, but I think you're right in that the oven feels like it'll get a result closer to the original.

I found some beef short ribs in the supermarket yesterday and did them with a small piece of pork belly for my parents. 6 or so hours in the smoker and an hour resting in the warming oven and they came out looking great. Sadly I didn't get any pics. 

Not sure actually like beef ribs mind, they were super tender but had a slight gelatinous texture. Not sure if I needed to do them a bit longer to render more of the fat, but everyone else said they were nice so it might just be me.

The super cheap and cheerful bit of pork was great though, really nice bark and smoky colouration. 

I think I'll stop doing low and slow beef & stick to pork now.

After the chicken last weekend though I really want to do some more of that, was watching videos the other day on spatchcocking and deboning while chickens so keen to give that a go. 

I find beef is great for quick thinks like burgers and steaks, all the way up to roasting joints (did a topside last week which was wonderful, and have done nice bone in rib in the past)

Its the low and slow, I agree, which has disappointed. That said Kamado Jo had an interesting technique I've got on my list to try out, weirdly its a cook in clingfilm .....

just made some delicious pork chops - first time I've tried brining them before cooking, very simple brine, just 4 cups of water to 4 table spoons of kosher salt, let them brine for about 90mins

cooked indirect for a bit then finished off on an iron grate over the hot coals before letting rest for a couple of mins before chowing down - another level of delicious and best pork chops ever, helped they were from my local farm that rears the pork on site and its very good, but so juicy and tender.

all pork chops getting brined now, will try some more aromatics next time but wanted to keep simple first time and see if there was an improvement, there was.

10 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

I found some beef short ribs in the supermarket yesterday and did them with a small piece of pork belly for my parents. 6 or so hours in the smoker and an hour resting in the warming oven and they came out looking great. Sadly I didn't get any pics. 

Not sure actually like beef ribs mind, they were super tender but had a slight gelatinous texture. Not sure if I needed to do them a bit longer to render more of the fat, but everyone else said they were nice so it might just be me.

The super cheap and cheerful bit of pork was great though, really nice bark and smoky colouration. 

Did you take the silverskin off the top of the rib? If you don't, cooking it will just turn it into a chewy jelly slab that'll never render down.

I have found with beef and esp with ribs you need a really flavourful rub/coating on them and not the same stuff you put on pork - raspberry based stuff works really well as it cuts through the extreme beef flavour and fat. I will try and dig out the recipe for one my mate did as that was epic.

Lamb tho, man it’s so good low and slow or hot and fast but not something many bbq people do mainly as yanks don’t really do lamb, madness!

10 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

@Cras sorry missed this. It wasn't the fat on top, but the veins of fat running through the middle that I was talking about. I think a little longer would have reduced them and left the meat super tender. 

I'm really surprised. 5-6 hours at 225-250 is usually perfect for me for short ribs. Any idea what temp you pulled them off at?

I've just rediscovered BBQ'ing and I'm going to have fun going back through this thread. I've only got a Weber Go Anywhere at the moment but found some suggestions on youtube and did a Hickory wood chip smoked salmon last night, and Cornell Chicken this evening (with mixed success - the bits further away from the coals didn't really get up to temperature so I needed to move them across to finish off which meant everything was ready at different times.) Think I'll need a better BBQ before I attempt anything bigger though...

2 hours ago, Cras said:

I'm really surprised. 5-6 hours at 225-250 is usually perfect for me for short ribs. Any idea what temp you pulled them off at?

I think it was around 97c and they then went into a warmer to sit for about half an hour.

Like I say they were super tender and everyone liked them, I just might not like short ribs as much as others! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to be doing my first overnight cook on tueday as picking up a 4kg bone in pork shoulder, little ones birthday on Wednesday and I need the pork done or use the bbq for the normal burgers and sausages.

Anyone done a 4kg shoulder for a rough time, I reckon 14 hours so will have to reload the charcoal - gonna go with heat beads so may get away with it?

On 29/05/2017 at 16:22, Gotters said:

3 days &  3 bbqs, we've eaten every day off it.

Saturday evening was some nice pork chops, bit of sausage meat on the side and Hasselback spuds, then just dropped the temp down down to 225f (which takes a couple of hours on a ceramic) and put on Saturday evening a 4kg bone in pork butt (from Turner and George). Did no injections or anything special, just trimmed off a bit of excess fat and gave it a good rub (with a nice Rufus Teague rub) then left it with a probe in to see how long it would take to hit the magic 195f mark for pulled pork.

18h later the alarm on the temp monitor went and we had a mountain of the most amazing pulled pork to work through (sorry no pics, we were too excited) - the bone just pulled out clean after a 45m rest foiled in a Cambro and it was quite exceptional - loads of little portioned up baggies in the freezer now for pulled pork on demand (freezer and microwaves really really well)

Had placed a very full load of charcoal in at the start on Saturday before the first dinner and by the time the pulled pork was ready it had been going constantly for 22h - had barely used half the charcoal - ceramics are super fuel efficient.

thought 4kg pork shoulder rang a bell ! 18h on my ceramic, experience tells me that its quite a slow cooker (I know that sounds odd but 225f isn't equal on all types of grill, all depends on amount of airflow or something, anyway my experience is its always longer compared to times quoted on Weber's)

I have a temp controller which removes a lot of the stress, I've done a few overnights and the biggest thing that impacts on how much charcoal you get thru is the ambient temp, if you get a cold night the bbq has to work harder to maintain temp, especially in a thin metal walled Weber (can't recall what type you got @Shimmyhill). Again this is my experience on a ceramic which is very fuel efficient, and can go for about 24h at low and slow temps on a half load.

The last big one I did was just under 4kg and I think was around 14 hours or so. You could probably bring that down if you wrap it. I'd stick it on overnight and then first thing in the morning take it off, wrap, replenish coals and get it back on there. 

Edit: That was on the Traeger, so suffers from ambient temp drops like a Weber would. 

Cheer chaps, looks like I’m in the right ball park, think I will get it going for 2300 (Destiny 2 @ midnight, oops what a coincidence...) so 14 hours will be 1300 and that gives me a few hours wiggle room!

Good point on ambient temp, will put the parasol over it and it’s sat down the side bit of my house so can close some gates and give it some protection - because I use the slow n sear it does get some insulation in the fuel box area and set a danger alarm for 175 and hope!  

So last night I got the bbq going and put the pork on at 23:30, starting the coals in the slow n sear and once lit added a chimney full of Aussie heat beads and 14 hours later they are still going - I woke up this morning at half seven and it was sitting at 225f and 160 internal, it’s now 180 internal and about to decide whether to wrap it or leave it as really I only have 2 hours ish left before I need it done!!

Just taken the pic and still plenty of coals left!

File%2006-09-2017,%2014%2029%2034.jpeg?d

Method above worked a treat and I hit the magic 203f and this was the best pulled pork I have done or ever eaten - much bigger bit of pork and from a butchers we have in the family so that’s good for the future - I don’t think I will do smaller cuts again as this was in a different league!

I actually much preferred it in pre sauce as did most of the guests today, glad I only sauced a little of it and have a good amount left just shredded.

File%2006-09-2017,%2021%2030%2028.jpeg?d

Looks great. I hav not done a piece that big (normally 2kg) but will try that. 

Good endorsement for Aussie Heatbeads as well. 

What sauce do you use?  I alway make a BBQ sauce, never bought. 

What do you do with leftovers?  It makes a mean chilli. 

7 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Looks great. I hav not done a piece that big (normally 2kg) but will try that. 

Good endorsement for Aussie Heatbeads as well. 

What sauce do you use?  I alway make a BBQ sauce, never bought. 

What do you do with leftovers?  It makes a mean chilli. 

I have not made a sauce before so maybe I should, got a good recipe?

I tend to use Red sauces - I do really like them esp the unholy bbq one.

Leftovers get eaten, usually reheated and back in buns - it’s a bbq leftovers dinner tonight and I’m gonna main on the pulled pork without sauce!