IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

I’ve had trager ones up to now, I got 4 or 5 bags last year in different flavours and probably have a bag and a half left. The Hickory ones are really strong, the others I’d struggle to tell the difference between as they’re pretty mild. 

I was was going to try some Cookin’ Pellets mixed ones next. 

http://www.cookinpelletsuk.com/index.php/premium-perfect-mix-c-33

On 29/05/2018 at 18:27, Jonny5 said:

I’ve had trager ones up to now, I got 4 or 5 bags last year in different flavours and probably have a bag and a half left. The Hickory ones are really strong, the others I’d struggle to tell the difference between as they’re pretty mild. 

I was was going to try some Cookin’ Pellets mixed ones next. 

http://www.cookinpelletsuk.com/index.php/premium-perfect-mix-c-33

Cheers for all your help, pretty set on the pro22 as you get a bag of pellets and cover in a deal at the moment so brings the cost of smaller one plus those nearer - Man maths!

Last question I promise..... how many hours do you get out of a hopper of pellets, for overnight can I set it and forget with enough fuel to go through the night?

Hey. I'm about to try and cook a pork shoulder on my little kamado. 

I've about 1.4Kg, so what temperature and hour long should I aim for? I think I'd prefer unctuous slices than full on pulled pork. 

Cheers :)

5 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Cheers for all your help, pretty set on the pro22 as you get a bag of pellets and cover in a deal at the moment so brings the cost of smaller one plus those nearer - Man maths!

Last question I promise..... how many hours do you get out of a hopper of pellets, for overnight can I set it and forget with enough fuel to go through the night?

Overnight can still be stressful. The first time I tried it I brimmed the hopper at around midnight and then checked it at 6am to find it had gone out. The hopper looked full but when I poked it the pellets all dropped down. Overloading it caused a void to form.

Since then I removed the grate thing from the hopper and can happily leave it from 11pm to 8 or 9 in the morning at 225. Higher temps burn through them a lot quicker, my new year chilli used most of a hopper in about 3.5 hours at around 350. 

Is the hopper on the 22 the same size as the bronson? 

4 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Overnight can still be stressful. The first time I tried it I brimmed the hopper at around midnight and then checked it at 6am to find it had gone out. The hopper looked full but when I poked it the pellets all dropped down. Overloading it caused a void to form.

Since then I removed the grate thing from the hopper and can happily leave it from 11pm to 8 or 9 in the morning at 225. Higher temps burn through them a lot quicker, my new year chilli used most of a hopper in about 3.5 hours at around 350. 

Is the hopper on the 22 the same size as the bronson? 

Hmmm no idea, will have a look at specs.

I would prolly still use my wireless thermometer so could set an alarm if the temp drops until I’m confident with the machine - shame there is no WiFi system for Traeger outside the wifire on the top end models, hopefully that will filter down to an upgrade option!

Edit: looked it up, 10lb vs 18lb 

if you're doing your shoulder at that temp it will take quite a while, 225-250f is the low and slow range, if I'm doing a rolled shoulder joint for slicing I'd go for a bit higher around the 180-190c mark indirect (I know i'm mixing the temps but bbq is usually US so my mind works in f and roasting meat in a UK oven is usually C !)

1.4kg at the higher temp would be about 3-3.5 hours on mine, but every bbq different, shoulder pretty friendly with all that fat, but you want to render it out, hope you left the skin on for some lovely crackling.

I took the skin out and tried to do it in the oven but made it disgusting. 

I think I left it on about five hours in the end, everyone said it was their favourite thing.  

It was nice, could be improved but decent for a first attempt. 

:)

First BBQ of the summer coming up for me this weekend. I’m going to go for ribs this year and work on getting them spot on. Have ordered 4 St. Louis racks and will do some sausages and chicken wings to go with. 

Anyone got any awesome rib recipes other than just doing the 3-2-1 method?

More I’ve barbecued the more I’ve stripped things back recipe-wise - its all about some good chaarcoal or smoke, and a bit of nice rub to accentuate the flavours - a lot of the BBQ channels slather the ribs in heavy rubs, then wrap in juice and butter and sugar, then coat in sauce to stick on - can’t believe the pork has any chance to shine after all that.

I don’t go for all the fancy stuff, just a rub and then sauce at the end. Only reason I wrap them is to try and stop them drying out.

Have you done them without wrapping? Would like to try that as the bark goes all soft while they’re wrapped. 

Yeah i’ve tried wrapped and unwrapped, get a bit more bite in the end product if unwrapped as wrapping almost turns the meat into pulled pork (maybe I overdid them)

I don’t tend to have trouble with things drying out as cooking on a ceramic and the airflow is so little in the dome, keeps things very moist - even something bog standard like a chicken breast cooks totally different than if you stuck it in a fan oven, quite different texture and juice retention.

Fan ovens are pretty terrible for cooking meat is something I’ve learned the more I’ve barbecued :o  

Ive never done ribs, for some reason they scare me and yet I’ve tried brisket! Will be interested in the rubs people use, same as a pulled pork one or totally different?

good lump charcoal will impart some decent smoke and give you smoke ring on its own - just chuck a couple of nice chunks of smoking wood (comes in packs) on top or chips and you're smoking, thing to take care of with smoke is it shouldn't be white, this is bad bitter smoke, properly lit wood burns almost invisibly.

then its just about what you're doing and for how long - you can get a smoke ring on a sausage if you cook it indirectly and not cremating in the direct heat. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

What do I need to smoke things properly in my kamado? I've got lump wood charcoal, but what's good for actually smoking? 

Also, any good rub recipes?

I do a really simple 1:1:1 paprika, cumin, garlic powder.

My only tip would be have someone to help you unpack & assemble it - they’re bloody heavy!

I’ve roasted whole chickens before which come out lovely but that’s it. Pulled pork, ribs & brisket mostly. Hoping to experiment more this summer. Some people bake cakes in them!

The Trager site has loads of recipies too. 

On 05/06/2018 at 07:41, schmojo said:

Or sugar or mustard powder?

I suppose it depends if you're looking for dry ribs or ribs you'll be covering in sauce later.

No, but like I said, it's just 'a rub' I like, not holding it up as any kind of traditional standard. I don't actually like any sweetness in rubs or sauce, even on pork. I always leave sugar out of rubs and go for a mustard/vinegar sauce.

Took my own advice from earlier in the thread and picked up the shelf for my Bronson. 

B466581E-378D-4A13-A5FB-4C42248083E0.thumb.jpeg.65eab2b6ab7ffedabdbb4888cbe9ee35.jpeg

3B0E8B7D-44A0-4C49-9EB5-BCEFAB94D822.thumb.jpeg.780de0fdccea93e1bf1852ece8e26c93.jpeg

It folds down when not in use so the cover still fits. Did a stock take of pellets as well and I have more than I thought, almost 3 full bags. Will be good to fire it up this weekend. 

3 hours ago, Cras said:

No, but like I said, it's just 'a rub' I like, not holding it up as any kind of traditional standard. I don't actually like any sweetness in rubs or sauce, even on pork. I always leave sugar out of rubs and go for a mustard/vinegar sauce.

Oh yeah, absolutely. At the end of the day try everything and see which you like most. There are myriad ribs to enjoy.

I like them with a bit of fight in them, but the vast majority of people I know wax lyrical about ribs that fall off the bone.

Lidl are doing a cheap bbq griddle system like the Weber one today. It’s £9.99 each for the griddle, cast iron pan, cast iron griddle & pizza stone. 

Ive just checked both my local stores and they’re not stocking it. :(

Yeah, it lives outside with the cover on it. It was under a shelter this winter that kept the worst of the weather off but still pretty exposed. 

Looking forward to to seeing the results of your first cook. 

Mistakes were made, not taking a photo of the finished food the smallest of them...

I was in a hurry and forgot to foil the tray (I did the bucket) and the fat from the pork belly just flowed anywhere but in the bucket, mostly collecting on the plate below and burning and making more smoke than the smoker - a small fat fire ensued when I lifted the lid :o 

Food was good, process a mess and I need to look into that - can’t see why the fat just collected on the plate and didn’t run to the bucket

:lol:

The tray should be at a decent angle, like 20 degrees at least so I’m surprised the fat collected. I’ve heard people say not to line the tray with foil as that can trap fat and cause a fire, but it’s never been an issue for me. 

23 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

:lol:

The tray should be at a decent angle, like 20 degrees at least so I’m surprised the fat collected. I’ve heard people say not to line the tray with foil as that can trap fat and cause a fire, but it’s never been an issue for me. 

I think I placed it wrong as it was horizontal, I’ve seen a bit of metal that maybe it should have been placed on that :facepalm:

I used a shit tonne of pellets too, I guess I had the initial burn and a hour or two full whack and fairly high for another nearly 3 hours but I’ve used half a bag easily!