IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

Yeah, it’ll chew through them at high temps - especially as it’s not been that warm out today. 

If if it’s the same as mine then you have the fire box, then there’s a metal frame that sits on top of that which has a lip poking up on the edge furthest from the drain hole. You then hook the drip tray over that lip while the spout pokes out through the hole. 

I just looked at a pic and I had it on wrong, it will naturally sit horizontally but there is a bit of metal to raise it up making the fat flow to the spout.

As you can see in one pic I did take the fat was pooling and then burning, there was so much smoke I got smoke rings on the sausages i did!

File%2007-06-2018,%2022%2013%2019.jpeg?r

Onwards and upwards!

Damn, they look great (grate) 

I have been reading this thread from the start this afternoon, been fun following the journeys many of us have been on to this point :) It also reminded me how much I love lamb on the bbq so going to put an order in for a lamb shoulder, pork butt and some ribs and go mad learning the Traeger!

I think @The Hierophant has been slacking on post/pics of late....

Ha ha ha. I have. That’s not because I haven’t been BBQing, I have!

Pulled pork today. I put it on at 6:30 and took it off about 13:30 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=623a6d56661830bc8A903B62-4594-4BDF-9555-219581F8D8A5.thumb.jpeg.a11bfe5456d099d753243b240e7aeb36.jpeg

1F70533B-9D55-49EB-8AD6-AA3DC7DDC810.thumb.jpeg.7b2a06bbff22e3cef0a73155922f45cb.jpeg

C040A448-BAD7-4EA9-A900-D7A6809C78FD.thumb.jpeg.9352aeb2757b677df559ff3482c192e4.jpeg

We're just about to eat. 

BBQ was a little lower than I would have liked, snake method with hickory chips. 

Homemade BBQ sauce with some of the fat from the pork; homemade potato salad (homemade mayonnaise); homemade salsa; pittas; asparagus; sweet corn. 

B08B6071-60F7-4722-96B7-1C5117E70DEB.jpeg

This was from a few weeks ago:

DDAD77CB-78B3-4FC2-ABA4-11FECF36329F.thumb.jpeg.5875ee116df6ab946bfd94396654ab18.jpeg

14644E7D-4128-4F8E-9B0F-FB220F9787C2.thumb.jpeg.d4e548832c1da7e669563d21bdffbe2d.jpeg

That was pork again. The two pots are a bbq sauce and a ragu. I like to use the heat from the bbq when cooking indirectly. 

I've not just done pork. A few ordinary BBQs (homemade burgers and local sausages); shoulder of lamb (slow cooked with a homemade tzatziki; couple of whole chicken (beer can method); some chicken pieces marinated in homemade tandoori mix. 

I've just done more eating than photography!

I did some last summer and I’m not sure. They look impressive but the texture isn’t to my liking.  My wife announced today that actually she doesn’t think she likes pork. So that’s nice.

I need to find a really good bbq chicken recipe. She’s not into bones or skin which makes things trickier, I might try smoking some skinless boneless thighs and see how they come out. 

39 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I did some last summer and I’m not sure. They look impressive but the texture isn’t to my liking.  My wife announced today that actually she doesn’t think she likes pork. So that’s nice.

I need to find a really good bbq chicken recipe. She’s not into bones or skin which makes things trickier, I might try smoking some skinless boneless thighs and see how they come out. 

I like them but many don’t, very beefy.

Have you considered divorce!? With chicken, cook on the bone and take off - always better on the bone! 

Yeah, I love short ribs. You have to remove the papery membrane on the bottom of the bone.  Then a spicy rub and low and slow. 

When end I do chicken on the BBQ most of the time I marinate a whole chicken in BBQ sauce for a day or so then beer can chicken with the older version of this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Style-Poultry-Infusion-Roaster/dp/B00FLRBMHW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00FLRBMHW

Indirect heat in a hot bbq and paste regularly in the marinade. It cooks in no time and is a massive favourite with the family. Carve. Serve the breasts and legs.  When it’s cool pull the meat off what’s left for fantastic leftovers. I'm going to do a tandoori version soon. 

18 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Yeah, I love short ribs. You have to remove the papery membrane on the bottom of the bone.  Then a spicy rub and low and slow. 

When end I do chicken on the BBQ most of the time I marinate a whole chicken in BBQ sauce for a day or so then beer can chicken with the older version of this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Style-Poultry-Infusion-Roaster/dp/B00FLRBMHW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00FLRBMHW

Indirect heat in a hot bbq and paste regularly in the marinade. It cooks in no time and is a massive favourite with the family. Carve. Serve the breasts and legs.  When it’s cool pull the meat off what’s left for fantastic leftovers. I'm going to do a tandoori version soon. 

Ibe never had a spicy rub on beef ribs, got a recipe?

• 2 weeks later...

First overnight cook on the Traeger, just under 4kg bone in shoulder from local butcher and put on at 2345 last night - 12 hours later and just pushed through the stall -chucked a cheap rack of ribs on there just now!

File%2024-06-2018,%2012%2002%2024.jpeg?r

Didnt get any 12 hour pics but the temp has been holding solidly and while it does go up and down a fair bit it has been spookily effortless and still loads of pellets in the hopper!

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a snake method pork shoulder cook. Never tried do anything overnight before so I've no idea what to expect.

Barbecue temperature has been holding steady for a while too, so that should be ok. Not entirely sure it'll last the 7 or 8 hours I'll be asleep but if it doesn't I'll probably cheat and finish it off on the oven.

Probably too late to act upon any advice you guys would give but anything would be appreciated, in case I try it again in the future.

@adrock - have you read about the stall, don't be surprised on larger bits of meat if it looks like its going nowhere

also if its hit temp early you can wrap in foil, towels and stick in a cooler and it will stay piping hot for a few hours, its always recommended you let it rest for a while before pulling anyway to let the juices redistribute, and a good shoulder will be nice and juicy if done right.

Here we go.

IMG_20180707_090113-1170x2080.thumb.jpg.bc82e7dcdd8ac3fa35900d072c87f5ca.jpg

Thankfully the warm weather meant the barbecue didn't need any attention and the snake method worked perfectly.

It was almost 12 hours until it reached temperature. I woke up at 5am Saturday morning at it had well and truly hit the stall.

Turned out nice, didn't get any pictures of it shredded. Very good smokey flavour.

Next time I'm going to use larger chunks of wood and get a decent bone in shoulder rather than two super market pieces.

Also I discovered I much prefer a vinegar based sauce.

Thanks for the tips.

I am doing another pulled pork overnight, starting Friday for a party Saturday lunch time - I’ve taken the day off work to prep and hoping the Traeger is as effortless as it’s been so far and my last hopper of pellets lasts the 18+ hours I’m expecting it to cook for!!

Speaking of fueling bbqs... I have pretty much added charcoal and pellets to the utility bills these days and tempted to bulk order so buying in loads to test! Local garden center do a restaurant grade charcoal made by olive tree company or similar and they have been great, massive chunks that burn very hot and last a long time with plenty of smoke so may have solved one side. Pellets wise I have gone through a bag of cookinpellets special mix and it’s been great also, smokier than the Traeger stuff (Apple I’ve tried) and have now ordered some pellets from Liverpool wood pellets so will report back on those - I think @Jonny5 mentioned those!?

On 10/07/2018 at 22:20, Jonny5 said:

@Shimmyhill never heard of Liverpool Wood Pellets - I did suggest the Cookin'Pellets though.  I'll probably try them next but don't use mine nearly as much as you're using yours. :lol:

Lols, must have been elsewhere they were recommended - I ordered some from Liverpool wood pellets as they are USA brand and 27kg for £30 delivered, they came today so will report back as hoping they are good because by far the cheapest I’ve found and even cheaper in bulk.

Anyone here smoke gammon to make a ham, I’ve done it loads on the Weber but pretty sure I do it hotter and hoping to do it at 225f while the pork butt is on so hoping someone does and can give me a ballpark time!?

11 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

27kg sounds like a lot of pellets!

Same as three bags of Traeger so for £30 it’s worth a try imo!

Latest pork butt is on, aiming for lunch tomorrow and thinking I will need to wrap but if it’s like the last one that will use almost a bag of pellets.

So the pulled pork and ham cooked for lunchtime, about 17/18 hours on the pork and 7 for the ham - used a hopper and a bit of pellets so not bad for that amount of time!

File%2014-07-2018,%2014%2018%2031.jpeg?r

I did did the full rub mix from the ‘let there be meat’ book and I think it’s may fave, spritzed with apple juice and cider vinegar every hour from 1700-0200 until I went to bed.

Pukked pork is such a crowd pleaser!

We’ve got a donnext weekend and I’m going to do ribs and pulled pork on the traeger to go with the usual stuff on the Weber. 

I grabbed some weber brickettes today as the last couple of times I’ve struggled to get and maintain temps with the big k ones. They’re bags I’ve had since last year so maybe got damp or something. 

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

luxury British hand made bespoke bbq - prices start at £25k !

https://www.aemyrie.com/specification/

When does yours arrive!?

Back to mere mortal prices machines and I did a lamb shoulder on the Traeger yesterday, 6 hour smoke around 250f with a rub from the DJ bbq book and it was very nice, would use a milder pellet next time as the smoke has overpowered the meat a little but it was a strong mix!

File%2018-07-2018,%2016%2010%2001.jpeg?r