IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

I did read the specs of that £25k bbq - can’t see much if anything it does I can’t do on my Primo.

I have a battery powered blower that does temp contol, its super insulated and can hit a high top temp.

They look like lovely items, but functionally I’m covered.

• 2 weeks later...

9D2BF566-D6F6-42BD-B0AF-A44E954B8C13.thumb.jpeg.a531e6c8a0b9fb5fb8aeaf5e73fccecb.jpeg

That was 7am this morning. I pulled it off at about 1330 and served at about 1500 and it was awesome. I glazed it with an hour or so to go which I don’t normally do and it made the bark really nice and chewey and flavoursome. 

I dont have any pics pics after this as as usual it was super hectic getting everything sorted as guests arrived. 

• 3 months later...

Anyone would think summer is over with the lack of action in here....

My Traeger is on and a pork shoulder in and I’ve just been to the butchers and picked up a rack of ribs - they only had one left and it was marinated in bbq sauce and while I had some rub prepped this is a test for me as not done ribs properly before! Having checked my books and watched some vids there are at least 3 million ways to do it but 3-2-1 seems a popular method, these ribs don’t seem as big as an American slab so will they be ok that long or is it worth doing 2-2-1?

always do my turkey and sausage meat out on the BBQ - I go for either spatchcocking and brining the whole bird or a quicker crown depending on how many I'm cooking for - just find the BBQ so gentle on cooking meat its always moister and better. 

frees up the oven too for an excessive amount of roasties and pigs in blankets.

• 3 months later...

A couple of friends and I took a few days off work, watched seminal foodie film Chef, then made Cubanos.

We used the Binging With Babish recipe except we smoked the pork for eight hours instead of doing it in the oven

https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/3/28/cubanos-inspired-by-chef?rq=cubano

And Chef John's recipe for the bread

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/256967/chef-johns-cuban-bread/

There's a brine, a marinade, and a smoke. Should it take two days to make sandwiches? Probably not. Am I glad we made two day Cubano sandwiches? Bloody right.

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_20190219_190525.jpg

MVIMG_20190219_121947.jpg

On 24/02/2019 at 09:32, The Hierophant said:

My coal baskets are knackered so I have ordered a Slow 'n' sear 2.0. 

Still love my slow n sear, defi one of the best cooking things I’ve bought and while seems expensive is built like a tank and does the job amazingly well.

• 1 month later...

Get a Weber charcoal grill and chimney starter and you will have the best and only bbq you will ever need! Even with a dedicated smoker my Weber has still done some of the best smoked cooks and it’s just a brilliant bbq and no more hassle than gas really, I fired it up for two steaks yesterday and four burgers last week - my gas grill never gets used to the point my sister borrowed it and I don’t really care if I get it back.

57 minutes ago, Gotters said:

A Weber is decent lower cost place to start BBQing but its not the 'best' - the bigger more expensive ceramics offer benefits on top but at a cost.

Best bang for buck for what it can do I would say, my mate with a BGE doesn’t use it as a BBQ as says it’s just not very good for hot and fast stuff but loves it for longer cooks and smoking.

19 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Price isn't a major concern - my previous bbq cost 400 and lasted 18 years, so happy to invest in something up to 1500/2k if it will actually last.

My Weber is 30+ years old and no signs of it failing anywhere yet! 

If you have that kind of budget I’d be looking at a smoker plus something setup - the top end Weber is rated better than ceramics by many people that have both and while it is crazy money you could still get one in budget and a dedicated smoker if you wanted. 

You could still just spend spend a few hundred on a Weber and a couple of accessories and do everything you could if you chucked the full 2 grand at solutions hence why I still think Weber’s are the best!

The top end weber is the double skinned thing that looks to emulate a ceramic by creating an insulated environment with lower air flow isnt it ? V expensive, over a grand IIRC.

The smaller Weber’s are great for quicker cooks but their lack of insulation means more heat loss, so more air draw and circulation - on a v long cook (I’ve had briskets and pork shoulders on for 16-20h) that higher air flow would create a dryer meat and mean needing to top up on charcoal.

I’ve had my Primo XL sat in garden for 6y now and use all year round, I’m not anti weber, just think the ceramics offer something on top which may or may not be useful depending on what you plan to do.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

The top end weber is the double skinned thing that looks to emulate a ceramic by creating an insulated environment with lower air flow isnt it ? V expensive, over a grand IIRC.

The smaller Weber’s are great for quicker cooks but their lack of insulation means more heat loss, so more air draw and circulation - on a v long cook (I’ve had briskets and pork shoulders on for 16-20h) that higher air flow would create a dryer meat and mean needing to top up on charcoal.

I’ve had my Primo XL sat in garden for 6y now and use all year round, I’m not anti weber, just think the ceramics offer something on top which may or may not be useful.

Yeah that’s the one!

I’ve done a 23 hour smoke on the Traeger, 13 on Weber and while it will have used more charcoal I wouldn’t say the meat was any drier.

I do like ceramics and was always one I wanted after mate got the BGE but I think now I fancy the posh Weber to go with my Traeger - the slow n sear chap has just released a ceramic so I may have been looking at them again.....

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

There is a good YouTube channel that did some good comparison vids I think, Babyback Maniac

I just looked and it was his vid that made me want a Summit two years ago and nothing had changed, the cost is the stumbling block but then i spent not far off that price on the Traeger so....

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know what the Summit gets you over your current setup. A Big Green Egg or a Kamado Joe I could just about see a use for if you were also talking about getting a rotisserie, pizza attachments etc. but that ecosystem doesn't seem to exist for the Summit. 

The Summit seems great if you're going for a big upgrade from a standard Weber but not as something to sit alongside a Traeger. 

It’s actually why I got the Traeger over a Kamado or Summit last year but still an itch like to scratch - I don’t see any benefit of a Kamdo these days as the benefits are matched by the Summit with none of the drawbacks and I’d still keep a kettle for rotisserie!

I cook lots on the bbq, a Summit would be better for this but you’re basically spot on that I don’t need one.

25 minutes ago, Oracle said:

That timberline looks good, any uk stockists?

The Traeger? I got mine from Riverside garden centre, wish I was local to them as great Weber and Traeger place and bbq in general.The 2019 Traegers look to be a really big upgrade over mine with new auger and WiFi control, I also like the higher end double wall ones like the Ironwood & Timberline and if I was buying again would prolly go for one of those!

Riverside is a great place, only about 15m up the road from me - its not really a garden centre as doesn't sell plants, its just full of BBQ and great big umbrellas and chairs you want for your garden, used to have a hot tub centre too. Its custom built to get blokes separated from their cash I think.

I had to stop going as always came back with bbq gubbins I never used, like smoking planks or sausage wire frame holders that let you flip 8 in one go.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

Riverside is a great place, only about 15m up the road from me - its not really a garden centre as doesn't sell plants, its just full of BBQ and great big umbrellas and chairs you want for your garden, used to have a hot tub centre too. Its custom built to get blokes separated from their cash I think.

I had to stop going as always came back with bbq gubbins I never used, like smoking planks or sausage wire frame holders that let you flip 8 in one go.

Sounds like paradise, I will have to make a pilgrimage :wub: