IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

Anyone done leg of lamb on a Weber? I need to do lamb for 9 people on Sunday. I'm thinking I won't be able to get a shoulder joint big enough for 9, but two legs should be fine. Sounds like a quick sear and then indirect for 1h 30 to 1h 45 is the recommended method, just wondered if anyone has tried it. I'm wondering whether to sear then wrap in foil to stop it drying out too much?

1 hour ago, Rockboy said:

Anyone done leg of lamb on a Weber? I need to do lamb for 9 people on Sunday. I'm thinking I won't be able to get a shoulder joint big enough for 9, but two legs should be fine. Sounds like a quick sear and then indirect for 1h 30 to 1h 45 is the recommended method, just wondered if anyone has tried it. I'm wondering whether to sear then wrap in foil to stop it drying out too much?

I’ve done loads of lamb as it’s epic on the BBQ, don’t wrap in foil as I find meat doesn’t ever dry out on the Weber unlike an oven esp lamb when hopefully you are cooking it pink! Your method seems spot on sans the foil, just have plenty of resting time.

If you you end up with shoulder low and slow is better, legs I’ve done hot and fast and not needed to sear or maybe on the hot coals at the end - even better on a rotisserie if you have one?

Do you have a thermometer? Perfect meat is a thermometer away!

Thanks @Shimmyhill yep definitely hoping to keep it pink! Will skip the foil then. I ended up getting two medium sized legs of lamb. I have the Weber premium with the trays either side, so figured I can cook the legs in the middle and then give them a quick blast at the end over the coals if they need a bit of colour. I do have a meat thermometer, what temp do you think for pink?

21 hours ago, Rockboy said:

Thanks @Shimmyhill yep definitely hoping to keep it pink! Will skip the foil then. I ended up getting two medium sized legs of lamb. I have the Weber premium with the trays either side, so figured I can cook the legs in the middle and then give them a quick blast at the end over the coals if they need a bit of colour. I do have a meat thermometer, what temp do you think for pink?

55-60c range I usually aim for, google ‘meathead temp chart’ as I have one of those on my fridge I use for any meat I cook!

I generally have coals one side and meat on opposite, again amazingribs website says it’s better than the split trays method and he goes into the science of it all so who am I to argue!

Well worth a read if you haven’t already https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-set-charcoal-grill-smoking-or

@Nick_L welcome to the Traeger club, love the look of the new one with WiFi so very jealous! Make sure you report back

Left the steak marinading over night, just threw it on the traeger for a 5 hour cycle. It’s pretty awesome using the app, just hit cook and it manages all the cycles for you. Updated the firmware on it too, good times :lol:

will update once cooked :)

UPDATE:

Turned out perfect and tastes awesome! Little bit of pellet dust but I think that'll get better as the inside gets coated.

IMG-0872.JPG

IMG-0873.JPG

Going to go a pizza in it tomorrow :)

File%2022-04-2019,%2016%2050%2007.jpeg?r@Nick_L the dust defi goes quickly, I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it - get a pork shoulder on there next! Did you line the drip try with foil? Forgot to say about that as it’s a nightmare to clean if you don’t line!

The lamb is now on the Weber, I forget how good the setup with slow n sear is - it’s sat there holding the temp I’m aiming for, probably holding temp as reliably as the Traeger does once you are used to it - love them both of course and now to stare at the thermometer for 3 hours ;) 

Bonjour, you beautiful bunch of barbecuing bastards...

I need some advice:

We're about to do the garden (new patio and shit) and since a load of money is going on that, somewhere amongst the budget is some money spare for a new BBQ to make best use of it.

Budget is around £200, probably max of £300. I'd go more myself, so I could be persuaded to go over, but my fiancée thinks that would be ridiculous. As much as those Chris Traeger smoker things look good, I can't go into the realm of £1000s

I mostly just want a decent charcoal grill. I had originally wanted one of those "offset style" ones where you have a container off to the left for chips and charcoal, and that sends smoke through into the main area. I am guessing the main area can still be used as a normal charcoal grill, so you get the best of both worlds and a lot of space to do different things at different temperatures.

But i'm struggling to find a good reliable brand - ones of around £200 on Amazon get reviews about how quickly they rust and leak smoke.

My other thinking is to get a Weber kettle. They look really nice, take up less space and the build quality seems good. I'm just concerned that a kettle gives you a bit less versatility, with a big circle it's not as easy to have different heat zones and so on.

But then I see people in this thread with Weber kettles doing indirect heat things, and attachments like like the "slow and sear" and think perhaps the reliability and availability of fun attachments wins over the form of the offset smoker?

To be honest, I will long smoke things very occasionally, but do normal "quick" bbqs quite a bit more often.

edit: also any recommended accessories, I want a decent thermometer to monitor it all. 

Thanks!

At this price point it's hard to look past the Weber. 

I've smoked Turkeys and Chickens on the Where using the "snake" method and it's generally been fine. The key is to leave it alone while cooking as taking the lid off will affect the cooking time. I'm sure a slow n sear makes it easier and better but you don't need one starting out. 

Yeah I’d go for a Weber as well, maybe with the rotisserie thingy as well for extra fun.  

ThermoPen is the ultimate instant read thermometer but they’re expensive. I have a £10 hobby from Amazon and while far from “instant” it gets used regularly and does the job. I also have a £30 remote monitor thing which is orange (forget the name) for monitoring longer cooks. 

Thanks guys I think I'm convinced on Weber now.

I have a Thermapen (the bake off ones, yeah?) and I love it. It really upped my oven roasting game.

But I'm not sure it's okay for just leaving on constantly for 8 hours to monitor some slow cooking meat? Ie watching the temperature without opening the weber lid.

With that in mind I don't actually need instant, since it'd be a constant monitor.  I gues i'm thinking of one of those ones with long probes on a wire that come out of the kettle.

I'll google orange remote monitor :)

Another vote for the Weber, with a slow n sear it’s pretty much all you ever need - you don’t really need a slow n sear but I wouldn’t be without it now!

My fellow bbq mate had an off set like you said about and he would tell you the Weber is better, proper stick burning offsets like the Americans use are of course awesome but the type you get here are just a poor mans copy.

@cowfields  In case another vote is needed, get a Weber kettle. Go for the Master touch.  The latest version is the “Master-Touch GBS E-5755 Charcoal Barbecue 57 cm” and was released this year. Retail is £299 but I’ve seen it for £269 online. 

You can can smoke using the snake method. I've used it very successfully for years and have only just bought a low n slow. 

Build quality is amazing. They last decades. 

I've managed to convince my fiancée on this:

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/17401004.html?cgid=4

A local garden centre ( a Weber stockist that does classes and stuff ) is selling it for cheaper than the listed Weber price, so with any luck I'll be bringing one home on Sunday. Not sure if I want to start using it until the garden is done but also not sure if I can wait that long...especially if the weather is nice.

As far as I can see the one that is different from what @The Hierophant suggested is that it comes with some little charcoal baskets and a tray thing, that stops the direct heat, and helps for smoking. So, that's perfect. I feel like the difference in price is mitigated by the fact that I'll only end up buying those accessories and pushing it back up to the same price? 

Anyway I've never been so excited about buying a BBQ. 

**clenches fist and looks down. Deepens voice**

For too long now have I been barbecuing on cheap rusty tin-can BBQs. Finally they will witness the true devastation of my ultimate meat cooking powers.

33 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I've managed to convince my fiancée on this:

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/17401004.html?cgid=4

A local garden centre ( a Weber stockist that does classes and stuff ) is selling it for cheaper than the listed Weber price, so with any luck I'll be bringing one home on Sunday. Not sure if I want to start using it until the garden is done but also not sure if I can wait that long...especially if the weather is nice.

As far as I can see the one that is different from what @The Hierophant suggested is that it comes with some little charcoal baskets and a tray thing, that stops the direct heat, and helps for smoking. So, that's perfect. I feel like the difference in price is mitigated by the fact that I'll only end up buying those accessories and pushing it back up to the same price? 

No, I think the only difference is actually the grate and diffuser. It’s still a “GBS Premium E-5775”. The one I linked to also has the charcoal baskets I think, they are listed here on the features: https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/14801004.html?cgid=4585#start=1 I’d recommend having the charcoal baskets as I have been using those for years, but if they are included in the one I linked to I’m not sure that the £70 is worth it for the grate and diffuser alone?  I've never used a diffuser. 

I admit I'm finding the product differences confusing.

The plate is this, basically...it looks useful, I can totally imagine that it then means heat is more even, less grill-ey, but I think you're right, in that you're paying for that and a grate as the one you linked has the baskets. But in terms of where I'm going it's more like £60 difference in the end.  Weirdly I can't seem to find the diffuser as a separate accessory, whereas all the other things seem to be available. 

image.png.4f27f1b71e626a5e931c8fcb78645ad6.png

There's also this:

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/weber-barbecues/page=viewall/product/weber-performer-gbs-/15301004~15301004#general

Which seems like a good discount, but it does also look like you're just paying for a side table....I'm not bothered about that. 

The wowbbq link is about 3 miles from where I live so I guess we can just pop in and have a look at the actual products and make a decision then. 

There are bigger versions.

The thing is you are only gonna be using half the Weber for indirect, I generally use both trays in my ProQ so I can easily cook enough for a group.

The extra height of the proQ meant I could smoke a whole massive turkey in it, too.

I don’t disagree with any of that, but given @cowfields said the main use would be regular grilling rather than extended smoking it makes sense to optimise for that with the kettle. If the smoking meat bug bites then he can get a tool better suited to the task.  Ahh, just seen your extra post - I bet the 50cm version is a good chunk more expensive than the Weber. 

FWIW I spent £70 on a used Weber kettle and have a dedicated smoker. 

I like the idea of the tower smokers but I think practically it's more important to have a good 'normal' bbq, realistically as excited as I am about long smokes, I doubt I'll do many where it's on all day, it's only the occasional Saturday / Sunday where I can do that.  On the other hand I like the idea of quick BBQs midweek to make the most of things. 

The Afore mentioned master touches have quite a high lid though right? There's all these photos of people doing whole Chickens....perhaps not a turkey.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I paid £270 for mine but it looks like they are closer to £400 now.

I thought I'd use mine for both, but I generally do a lot more smoking because I prefer the results. 

I think this is where a Weber wins, you can do both and then buy a dedicated smoker later!

Back in the day in this or the prev thread I was making the jump into ‘proper’ BBQ and a proQ was my choice for the reasons you say but then doing a BBQ on it is a pain as it’s low down and you then need the big one (I was gonna get 57cm) but that then means you use a lot of fuel when smoking so doing one bit of meat is very inefficient. The Weber is more compromised as a smoker as you can only really do one bit of meat (poss more with racks or using lower grill ghetto stylee) but a more convenient bbq so swings and roundabouts!

In conclusion @cowfields buy the Weber and start saving for the smoker to follow ;)

Ohh and try and get the new hinged lid Weber https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/weber-barbecues/product/weber-master-touch-gbs-premium-se-e-5775-charcoal-grill-57cm/17401004~WEB17401004