IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

Thanks guys.

might sounds like a daft question buts what’s a Thermanpen for? i’m guessing it’s something to check the temperature of inside of the meat? To check it’s ready without cutting it up? Because bbq’s cook crispy on the outside without necessarily doing the centre, right? /n00b

On 23/05/2019 at 22:14, Jonny5 said:

Picked up the Performer and it’s in really good condition. The cart is bigger than expected and was a bit of a struggle to fit in the car. 

It even cane with 2 gas bottles for the starter thingy:

9CFEF4E0-9070-4A4F-AC20-4EB5E8B55A04.thumb.jpeg.49d1c764e751297d548d1b3f566a1722.jpeg

Has anyone got an upgraded grate for theirs? I’m tempted to get a cast iron one, but then I think stop buying things for it and just use it. 

Maybe when I sell the other one...

I have the older version of that, love it but no gas assist on mine!

im about to order a new grate, what one are you looking at?

24 minutes ago, Marvin Morris said:

Thanks guys.

might sounds like a daft question buts what’s a Thermanpen for? i’m guessing it’s something to check the temperature of inside of the meat? To check it’s ready without cutting it up? Because bbq’s cook crispy on the outside without necessarily doing the centre, right? /n00b

Exactly that, cook to temp not time or feel (unless you’re a pro chef) I use a thermapen for instant read and a WiFi dual probe thing for longer cooks so can monitor from the sofa!

On 26/05/2019 at 22:01, Marvin Morris said:

Yeah it's just to make sure you don't die by eating raw chicken as much as anything. Also to make sure your meat is up to the "ready" temp in the right places as well really, it's hard to tell things are done otherwise esp if a larger joint. Essential for any kitchen though I'd say, never mind a barbecue, I use a Thermopop which is made by the company that makes the best stuff in this field imo (and is the cheaper option to their Thermapen), here's the cheapest I can find:

https://www.cater4you.co.uk/acatalog/thermopop-thermometer-red-blue-white.html

But that's an instant read, depending on what you're doing you'll need to know things like the temperature of the BBQ with the lid closed (the gauge on the BBQ will not be much use, given its location high up, it'll always read hotter than things probably are, and with varying accuracy). So for that you'll need one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maverick-Range-Digital-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B00GC53DYW

Clip one probe in the BBQ on the grate near where you're cooking, and stick the other pointy probe in the meat if you're cooking something large enough to make use of it. Again, this sort of kit is incredibly useful even in the kitchen as oven temperature gauges are invariably not that great, and you can use the meat probe for any roast or sizeable joint you're cooking.

Literature, as mentioned there's reams of it online but there is one book I'd recommend and that's Meathead, by, er, Meathead which is a great read about the basics of what's largely the American BBQ scene (lower, slower cooks) but once you know this lot you're ready for anything:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meathead-Goldwyn/dp/054401846X

He's got his own site too https://amazingribs.com/about-us/meet-meathead with most of this stuff on there but this is just nice to read in one place. I'm not entirely sure I agree with every single piece of advice (largely because I've never got his ribs method to work with any great success - and I refuse to accept it's just me being shite :)), but he explains and details everything behind everything and why you may or may not want to think about doing one thing over another.

What Landmann did you get by the way? I've got one of these https://landmann.com/uk/product/taurus-660-charcoal-barbecue/ and while it's been superb in general its not always been the easiest thing to slow cook with, largely because it needed a bit of modification to do so (the seal on the lid was nonexistent on mine for one thing). On the other hand it's sturdy, been thrown all round the back garden by high winds and is still alive and kicking even if it has needed a bit of work with crowbar and lump hammer to get it back in shape on occasion. Get a cover if you're leaving it outside! 

And more stuff to spend money on, a charcoal starter (these are a godsend for getting your coals going) and depending on what your BBQ is, I found a wire basket to hold the coals was a really good idea (for when I want to keep them all in one place on side without faffing about - almost always - this one is OOS but fits my Landmann perfectly and has been sturdy enough to not just melt instantly, or ever for that matter), and while you're at it why not get some gloves so you can put your hand in the coals if you want to even things out a bit (again OOS, and to be honest these aren't as efficient as when I bought them but still pretty useful), and the toolset at the end is awesome, my wife got me it as a birthday present once and to be honest I generally just use the tongs and spatula but having a knife on a stick bayonet thing is pretty cool :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YCQD0KA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017HNW9WO

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004I01AR0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Landmann-13395-Stainless-Bamboo-Handle/dp/B0046CS1CC

Thanks Stefcha... that’s a really big help. Thermopop now ordered and other items I will get as time goes on.

It’s a Tennessee Landmann that I got

Landmann 11507 New Tennessee Broiler Charcoal Barbecue - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MT8Z68T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N.n8CbFSN4W8C

Not been able to use it at all this week as the weather has been rubbish. Should get some action for the first time this weekend though! Going to keep it simple on its first run (burgers and sausages) and then look to experiment over the summer with more adventurous stuff. There’s a world of BBQ out there that I wasn’t even aware of! New garden for first time so looking to make the most of it

Thanks again!

On 23/05/2019 at 23:13, Rockboy said:

This Saturday I've got 25 people coming round at approx 2pm and I need to have pulled pork ready to eat about then....:wacko:

So, I'm thinking, I can get a whole pork shoulder from the butchers and get them to cut it so I've got a large butt and part of the picnic, say 2/3 of a shoulder. Do you think that would do enough for pork baps for 20 - 25? I've got a Weber so I doubt I'd get a whole shoulder on.

Secondly, I'm thinking of starting it at midnight on Friday and then pulling it off at about 12:30pm to rest while I cook the other stuff. Do you think that's too long or should it be okay as long as I keep the temps nice and low, say 135C? I'd normally cook it for 8 or 9 hours but then I'd need to start it at 3 in the morning which I'm not overly keen to do, and I don't think the neighbours would be too impressed with either.

Finally, if I wanted to rest it for say 2 hours, is that safe or would I be better to keep it wrapped and warm in the oven while I do all the burgers, sausages etc?

How did you get on? 25 happy eaters I hope!

12 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

How did you get on? 25 happy eaters I hope!

Sorry, I've been meaning to reply but it was a hectic day and then we went away for a city break in Edinburgh, just got back today.

So... it didn't go entirely to plan!

It started off well enough, I went to the butchers the day before and got a whole pork shoulder, which they cut into 2 pieces, the larger 2/3 being the butt with a bit of the picnic, and I threw the remaining 1/3 picnic in the freezer. The bigger piece weighed in at a whopping 6 kilos! I made up a rub (Aaron Franklin's pork shoulder rub, salt pepper, garlic granules, onion granules and paprika) and threw it on the barbecue at bang on midnight with 3/4 of a chimney's worth of heat beads. I set my alarm for 6:30 with the aim being to get up, get another chimney starter going and have the coals on for 7.

Well, I got up at 6:30 sharpish, went down and the thermometer on the Weber was right down where it be if it was cold. I lifted the lid and the coals were pretty much gone, and the meat was only warm to touch. I hadn't put in a probe the night before so had no idea how hot it was, but decided to stick one in and check. I can't remember exactly but I think it was about 60 deg C. I then started googling what to do if your overnight barbecue goes out, and quickly realised that by inserting the probe there was a fair chance I could have transferred any bacteria that might have formed on the cooler surface into the middle of the meat. At this point I'd made up my mind to bin it, as I couldn't risk giving 29 people including my 90 year old gran and numerous children food poisoning. It was a real shame as the might looked like it had cooked really nicely, the fat had split on the top and I reckon another 6 or 7 hours wrapped and it would have been perfect. Oh well, just got to put it down as an expensive lesson learned. Don't leave your barbecue unattended for more than 4 hours!

So now I got another chimney going and rushed off to the butchers for the 7:30 opening. I grabbed a 3.5KG boneless shoulder as I figured I'd have a reasonable chance of cooking it in the 7 hours I had left. Luckily I had some leftover rub so threw that on and got it straight on the barbecue. After 4 hours, I wrapped it and then gave it another 2 hours, before transferring it to the oven for an hour while I started cooking the 30 sausages and 30 burgers....

I eventually served everything up and the pork had turned out much better than I was expecting. It was moist, with a nice crust, the crackling was good, and it was the first thing to be finished off on the table. Everyone commented how nice it was, and it was just a shame there wasn't enough for seconds for everyone as I think they would have eaten it! Luckily the butchers sausages and burgers also went down well, and then I did a load of jerk chicken, so everyone was very well fed and there was leftovers for me and the kids.

I failed miserably to take many photos but here's what I did take;

The first (big) shoulder piece all prepped ready to go on:

bbq5.jpeg

bbq7.jpeg

The boneless shoulder about to be wrapped:

bbq6.jpeg

Feel like I'm really getting the hang of the Traeger, not sure if I'm imagining it but everything seems to cook and taste better now it's had time to bed in a bit. 

This made for a great steak salad tonight :)

IMG-0962.JPG

IMG-0963.JPG

I’ve used this Peri Peri sauce recipe for a meal in the prepping thread, had some leftover and used it on the bbq for the first time - marinated some butterflied chicken breast overnight in a good amount then cooked chicken indirect, with a final sear on a cast iron grate I have over the coals - the sauce is great over real flame with some lovely caramelisation going on and definitely better than cooking under the oven grill.

Sorry no pics as like most bbq goes straight into your face. 

https://www.everynookandcranny.net/peri-peri-sauce-aka-homemade-nandos/

Sounds like you had a stressful time @Rockboy, well done for pulling it off though. 

FWIW I think the other pork would have been ok. Over 73 degrees internal for three minutes should be enough to kill off any bacteria and you’d be aiming for 95ish internal when done. 

36 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

FWIW I think the other pork would have been ok. Over 73 degrees internal for three minutes should be enough to kill off any bacteria and you’d be aiming for 95ish internal when done. 

Thats what I was wondering. I can understand not wanting to take risks but surely if you got it up to temp again it would have killed any bacteria. Any guides on this sort of stuff?

Yeah I think it probably would have been okay. My worry was that i had no idea how long the coals had been out, and how long the meat had been sitting there. The exterior of the meat was barely warm, so would have been in what they call the danger zone 40 -140 for an unknown period of time. These are the two threads I read that morning that convinced me to bin it:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109689

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/need-advice-from-experienced-smokers-my-fire-went-out-overnight.107845/

Feel like I’ve let the side down and went for a Weber Gas bbq yesterday. The Spirit 210. Build quality is great and got a wood chip box smoker thing to try out. 

I just know I’ll use it loads more than a charcoal version. 

@Rockboy I can’t remember but do you have a Weber bbq? If so I highly recommend a slow n sear for overnight cooks - with heat beads I’ve got 14 hours unattended and honestly once you get it going it’s no more work than my Traeger!

Whats the secret to getting a 3.5kg one done so quickly, my last 3kg one could have gone over 20 hours without a wrap - I assume you were running hotter than 225f?

On 02/06/2019 at 17:09, Shimmyhill said:

@Rockboy I can’t remember but do you have a Weber bbq? If so I highly recommend a slow n sear for overnight cooks - with heat beads I’ve got 14 hours unattended and honestly once you get it going it’s no more work than my Traeger!

Whats the secret to getting a 3.5kg one done so quickly, my last 3kg one could have gone over 20 hours without a wrap - I assume you were running hotter than 225f?

Hey @Shimmyhill sorry for the delayed response.... Yeah I've got a Weber Master Touch with the two baskets for coals. Normally for my slow cooks I have the baskets either side and the meat in the middle with a foil tray filled with water underneath, which I think is the Weber recommended method. I am definitely interested in a slow n sear though.

As for the 3.5 kilo pork, I definitely had it hot for the first couple of hours, probably more like 275-300, and wrapped it after about 4 hours, then it had another 3 hours, and then 30 mins rest. I might have just got lucky with a nice joint, I was expecting it too need a bit longer to be honest!

By the way, has anyone seen/bought a Meater?! A lad at work has just bought one, looks like a nice bit of kit! Bit pricey though... the app looks pretty cool though.

https://meater.com/

16 hours ago, Rockboy said:

Hey @Shimmyhill sorry for the delayed response.... Yeah I've got a Weber Master Touch with the two baskets for coals. Normally for my slow cooks I have the baskets either side and the meat in the middle with a foil tray filled with water underneath, which I think is the Weber recommended method. I am definitely interested in a slow n sear though.

As for the 3.5 kilo pork, I definitely had it hot for the first couple of hours, probably more like 275-300, and wrapped it after about 4 hours, then it had another 3 hours, and then 30 mins rest. I might have just got lucky with a nice joint, I was expecting it too need a bit longer to be honest!

By the way, has anyone seen/bought a Meater?! A lad at work has just bought one, looks like a nice bit of kit! Bit pricey though... the app looks pretty cool though.

https://meater.com/

I have one. 

Not really used it though (got it as a present). It is well built and the app looks good. Quite tempted to sell it, I never cook big hunks of meat.

How is the range on Meater? My mate has a Weber wireless thing on BT and the range is pitiful so put me off but then I see they do a super one with WiFi base now!

Im still lusting after a fireboard, I feel this is the season to get one...

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Yeah feels a bit crazy to spend that much on a grill, but it will (hopefully) last a good while - for those of you that have used one before - do you have any tips or tricks?

Wrap the drip tray in foil, it’s a bugger to clean if you leave it uncovered, also buy some drip liners - they are expensive but when it’s full freeze it and chuck away the frozen block of grease and reuse the liner!

Biggest tip is remember to think of it as an oven as well as a smoker, any meat you cook in it will be better than in any non commercial oven but that’s the same for a std charcoal grill too imo.

Im doing a pulled pork on mine overnight for Father’s Day, trying the DJ BBQ rub that seems simple with a few ingredients -just made it ready for sat night.

9 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I’m really interested in the Meater. One of the versions comes with a case/board that has a range extender but it still isn’t that far. 

It quotes 50m so I imagine you can half that, my current one claims 100m but is prolly more like 50m on a good day..

I’m still tempted to get one, could be used indoors easier than my other kit but where I plan to build my bbq shack has no chance of reaching inside but ab actual WiFi one would...