IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

9 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Anyone used the bottom grill (charcoal grate) when cooking with the slow n sear?

I have, temp was fairly consistent and I used a tray instead of going direct onto the grate if that makes sense - you obv don’t have easy access to it even with hinged grates and tbh I put some supermarket ribs there so couldn’t really comment on how effective it was - just did it the once and then got the Traeger (running theme ehh) and mainly use the slow n sear for sear temps or roasting these days.

Speaking of the Traeger, just put this on for an overnight cook...

File%2015-06-2019,%2023%2015%2043.jpeg?r

Wife is in charge as working tomms until 1600, fingers crossed it’s smooth sailing!

First bbq on the traeger, tbh I am must be doing something wrong as a 321 ribs took a lot longer to cook (probably around 7 hours as opposed to 5) and whilst it was very moist it didn’t really have a smoke flavour? 

I also melted my fuel probe in a burger related fat flare up :( 

Hopefully I can figure this out for the next one.  

I’ve found the Traeger pellets aren’t particularly smokey so use other brands, what temp were you running at? There is definitely a learning curve and well worth joining a few Facebook groups as loads of knowledge in them.

I did a pulled pork on mine, 3.8kg and 19 hours later...

File%2017-06-2019,%2008%2051%2049.jpeg?r

I tried a simpler rub from the DJ bbq book and it was very nice but needed a bit more spice, even my youngest who can’t eat anything spicy said it needed more heat! 

1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

Anyone with a slow n sear done a slow cook using it?  I have used the snake in the past so curious to see how this method works and would be interested in any tips. 

Loads, heat beads are the best IMO and gave 14+ hours with zero fiddling once temp is set. I just light a few in the corner of the slow n sear and once ashed over dump a chimneys worth of unlit heat beads in adding boiled water to the trough. Adjusting vents until you get around 225 baring in mind each adjustment can take 5/10 mins to settle so resisting the temptation to fiddle is the hardest lesson.

4 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Which pellets are you using? The hickory ones seem to be the “strongest”, the others all seem very mild. 

Traegers hickory pellets - what are some better ones to use? Has @Shimmyhill have you combined two different types before?

The cook was 75c for 3 hours on super smoke - 2 hours at 105c and then up to 185c for the finish.

Did you ‘season’ the Traeger before first cook?

I use these fairly often https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookinpellets-CPPM18kg-Perfect-Mix-Pellets/dp/B00819OICI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HS9ZC1VS5QMS&keywords=cooking+pellets&qid=1560770012&s=gateway&sprefix=Cookin+pell%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-1

or these as much cheaper

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1462169-BBQ-Smoking-Wood-Pellets.html

Ive not mixed pellets but as you can see buy pre blended ones, having smoked lots on BBQs I’m not a huge Hickory wood fan albeit in the Traeger it’s much milder unless you use a smoke tube.

Ive never played with temp when doing ribs, just straight up 225f but similar 3-2-1 in terms of wrapping them, poss added an hour at the end. Did you have any rub on them? I’ve found the rub can affect how much smoke taste you get.

20 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Loads, heat beads are the best IMO and gave 14+ hours with zero fiddling once temp is set. I just light a few in the corner of the slow n sear and once ashed over dump a chimneys worth of unlit heat beads in adding boiled water to the trough. Adjusting vents until you get around 225 baring in mind each adjustment can take 5/10 mins to settle so resisting the temptation to fiddle is the hardest lesson.

Thanks. I have bought some heatbeads. Frighteningly expensive but I have been impressed so far. (I also got some restaurant grade charcoal for the sear bit.)

19 hours ago, Oracle said:

@Shimmyhill Is that the cook that the instruction manual tells you to do? If so yeah. Looking at the Amazon reviews for the first link says some of them contained bits of plastic? 

Ive not followed a Traeger recipe just what I’ve always done on BBQ - amazing ribs is prolly the site I follow most for methods and initial rubs recipes! Defi Sign-Up for the Facebook groups as loads of people will help if you post esp as your Traeger has more settings like super smoke!

I did see those reviews, US stock  and I’ve not had a problem - I don’t think I’ve seen a brand of pellets / charcoal / briquettes that haven’t at some point had people complaining about foreign objects in them so I wouldn’t let it bother me!

On 22/06/2019 at 21:38, The Hierophant said:

Struggling to keep the slow n sear at 225°c, it's about 250°c. 

Bit late but how did it go? I’m about to use mine and gonna hit some pork belly hot and fast - I have way too much charcoal so 250c is prolly minimum I’ll get!

BBQ two days in a row, love it!

It went really well I think. It was on the BBQ about nine hours, possibly a bit more. It took that long for the temperature to start dropping below 200° and at that point I thought i’ll Take it off to shred and keep warm. 

I don't think it suffered from the higher temperatures was very tasty and I’m having some more tonight. 

Interestingly not all the charcoal was consumed. There were bits (some quite large) left in the slow n sear. I assume that is because the vents were nearly closed to get the temp down but my thermometer was reading over 250° all night (or at least when I woke to check it). 

28 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

It went really well I think. It was on the BBQ about nine hours, possibly a bit more. It took that long for the temperature to start dropping below 200° and at that point I thought i’ll Take it off to shred and keep warm. 

I don't think it suffered from the higher temperatures was very tasty and I’m having some more tonight. 

Interestingly not all the charcoal was consumed. There were bits (some quite large) left in the slow n sear. I assume that is because the vents were nearly closed to get the temp down but my thermometer was reading over 250° all night (or at least when I woke to check it). 

Ahh, I guess you mean 250f rather than 250c!?

200f to 275f is acceptable for slow cooking, Aaron Franklin swears by 250f and is the brisket king so you’re in good company! What size bit of pork was it and final temp?

The other end of the slow n sear scale, this is with briquettes and my probe is on the side opp the actual coals - aiming for epic crackling...

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

That looks lovely, did you make that? We have a barbecue planned for next Saturday, a birthday celebration.

Any advice or links on doing the brisket? Do I separate the 2 pieces of it to get them right?

Yeah 120 is about right. That was the point end of a packer cut brisket, about 3.3 kilos untrimmed. I prefer the point because I like it fattier, the flat end is leaner.

We ended up taking it hotter than I've done before, up to 208 internal, which was definitely the right choice even if it meant it came out a bit late.

@Adrock I've always separated because I find the flat and the point come to temperature at different times.

8 hours ago, Oracle said:

7 pound brisket, I wonder how much that will cost from my butcher. How many people did that feed?

Did you use a particular rub? I was thinking paprika, brown sugar, some chilli powder etc

Ahem...three of us.

We went full texan - just salt and pepper for the rub, oak for the smoke, and played country music.

I've only ever done 1 brisket and it took forever and was disappointing, but was one of my first cooks years ago - I found short ribs similarly disappointing and have gravitated towards pig based cooks since then for the low and slow side of things.

I intend to try again and will go full 'Franklin', nothing but salt and pepper and got a roll of butchers paper in that he seems to swear by.

9 hours ago, Cras said:

Ahem...three of us.

We went full texan - just salt and pepper for the rub, oak for the smoke, and played country music.

Impressive. 

Which shelf did you have it on? I did ribs on the lowest but I think next time I will put them on the middle.