The Smoking and BBQ thread

9 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Don’t think I can get away with spending more than £250 on a BBQ.

Think of them as potentially being incredible multi use outdoor ovens that can be used all year round and are better at many things than your indoor oven will be - that helps increase the budget !

17 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Think of them as potentially being incredible multi use outdoor ovens that can be used all year round and are better at many things than your indoor oven will be - that helps increase the budget !

That is the angle I am working on! I would love to spend a bit more, slowly trying to persuade my girlfriend by showing videos of Turkey's cooked on the grill etc.

@Kieran Weber coals are pretty good.  In terms of bang for your buck don't rule out second hand.

I got a Weber Performer (the previous model to this one, so plastic table rather than metal) for £120 from Facebook marketplace.

spacer.png

It's £600 new!

5 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

I eventually ordered some restaurant grade lump wood charcoal from Coals4U yesterday.  I was going to get 2 12kg bags for £17.99 each, but it was £15 for postage for orders under £50 so I just got a third bag instead to qualify for the free shipping.  I hope its good as I now have 36Kg of charcoal on the way...

Is it this stuff? £12 in B&Q. Sorry, only just seen your question earlier in the thread. It’s perfectly serviceable stuff but I found it spits a bit and you can get some really over-sized pieces. 

Anyone looking for charcoal/lumpwood, I’ve found that Big K Restaurant Grade is consistency good. Cheapest around is at jjfoodservice if there’s one near you. £15 for 15kg.

COVID-19 Update

Sorry, this product isn't available to buy online at this time. Due to Covid-19, we're limiting our online range to help maintain supply of core products. We are reviewing this frequently. Our stores are all open, please check below to see if your local store has stock. Find out more

Our stores do not stock this product

There are loads of different "restaurant grade" blue bags from what i can tell.  This is what I've ordered: https://www.coals2u.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal.html

I'm not sure if it's just the stuff that my local hardware store stocks, but look out for bits of rope and plastic in those blue bags.

59 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

There are loads of different "restaurant grade" blue bags from what i can tell.  This is what I've ordered: https://www.coals2u.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal.html

Think it’s the same stuff. They had stacks in my local B&Q as my mate bought a load yesterday. Think you’re better off getting it delivered in the current climate. It’s better than most of the supermarket stuff. 

16 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Is it this stuff? £12 in B&Q. Sorry, only just seen your question earlier in the thread. It’s perfectly serviceable stuff but I found it spits a bit and you can get some really over-sized pieces. 

Anyone looking for charcoal/lumpwood, I’ve found that Big K Restaurant Grade is consistency good. Cheapest around is at jjfoodservice if there’s one near you. £15 for 15kg.

‘I’ve found this as well. Very happy with the Big K restaurant grade charcoal. 

On 09/06/2020 at 10:34, Kieran said:

Has anyone used the Weber briquettes? 

I am (hopefully) moving house in the summer and am having to hang fire on a new BBQ until then. Although I did cave in and buy myself the Weber go anywhere as we are moving to near the sea and I plan to lots of beach bbqs. 

I have fallen down a Weber rabbit hole in YouTube and plan to get the 57cm premium kettle. Don’t think I can get away with spending more than £250 on a BBQ.

I prefer Weber briquettes to Aussie heat beads unless I’m doing an 18 hour cook - the Webber ones burn hotter with less ash - my fave two briquettes by a mile tho! 

I also have a second hand Weber performer, plastic table on a trolly £60 second hand and as good as it was in the early 90s when made!

• 4 weeks later...

What are people paying for brisket at the moment? My local butcher had it at around £4.6 a pound. 

Also after cooking my first brisket on the Traeger its clear that the inbuilt temp prob is just flat out lying to me (even after calibration), so I need to get a decent wireless meat probe probably another to monitor the temp of the actual bbq, does anyone have a recommendation?

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

What are people paying for brisket at the moment? My local butcher had it at around £4.6 a pound. 

Also after cooking my first brisket on the Traeger its clear that the inbuilt temp prob is just flat out lying to me (even after calibration), so I need to get a decent wireless meat probe probably another to monitor the temp of the actual bbq, does anyone have a recommendation?

What about a Meater?

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

Morrisons had brisket on offer for £4 a kg last week. So I bought an entire brisket (nearly 8kg) for £30. Just looked and it's at £6 a kg now. Depends on how much you need but have you looked at some of the online butchers, like tomhixson?

BBQ thermometer - depends on budget but I've got an Inkbird thermometer which is great, this has 2 probes but you can have a 4 and a 6 probe version. The accompanying app is great and I've had no problems with it.  If you're looking for something pricier then Meater are probably your best best. 

I had a huge rolled shoulder last weekend, was so big I cut it into 2 pieces so could get it cooked for lunch when had family over.

Its such a good cut of meat, relatively cheap and so forgiving, impossible to ruin really - had it on the 5-6h low then cranked up heat at the end for the best crackling

how do you find crackling that way, I only did it once a long time ago and found it a bit bland, not sure why but seemed to lose some flavour not being on the actual joint but the texture was ok.

I had dried the pork joints out open in the fridge for 24h and had salted them so the salt drew out moisture then was reabsorbed (effectively dry brining the fat layer) - cranked my coals up to almost 270c at the end and got the most superb blistered result and the fat had mostly rendered on the low/slow phase.

Forgot about pictures of the pork but it was lovely and timing was perfect hitting the right temp about an hour before we were due to eat. 

I did get a shot of the crackling which went in the oven at 200 for about an hour. 
BADB14B4-EDFE-43F7-ADC2-90AD81546FB9.thumb.jpeg.fb3f08ae838e1047c0c078040dc06b1a.jpeg

The good thing about having the butcher remove the skin is they get it nice and thin and also score it up for you. A bash with a rolling pin and it was ready to serve. 

Looks good.

I saw an interesting twist to pulled pork on Man Food Fire recently.

Place cooked skin on whole hog just salted then chopped the meat quite aggressively with cleavers on a wooden board. They then added back in the crackling and chopped that in, also mixing in a bit of rub (basic bbq mix I guess of salt, paprika etc) and some vinegar based hot sauce.

Gave a nice neat dollop of flavoured moist pork with little crunchy salty crackling bits in - looked superb and would work perfectly with a skin on rolled shoulder.

So I’ve been after a Napoleon to replace my old kettle since the sunny months of lockdown. Missed out on one a year old at £250 with a load of accessories today, it seems new ones are up there with yeast and tinned tomatoes. Anyway this is all backstory, I came across this site today and don’t quite understand how I’ve not found it before. It’s probably in the thread somewhere but just in case...

There are some amazing looking cooks here, I’ll definitely be following some of them.

https://kungfubbq.co.uk/

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OnionNon said:

I got a kamado delivered today, from https://www.theovo.co.uk/the-ovo. Hoping to use it year round for grilling as well as smoking. 

Are you going to season it first? 

If you want to try out a cheap but lovely bit of meat on it, pick up a picanha if you have a Morrisons nearby. About £10 for a decent sized joint. Stick it in your kamado at 120c, get the meat up to temp to 45c, rest for 45mins, then cut into steaks and sear at 300c for a couple of minutes each side. I've done it a few times now for guests and pretty much everyone says it's the best beef they've ever had. 

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out. Smoking a spatchcocked chicken tomorrow and some short ribs over the weekend. 

For curing it recommends just having a relatively cool burn to help the gaskets settle. Do you have one and what did you do?

9 minutes ago, OnionNon said:

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out. Smoking a spatchcocked chicken tomorrow and some short ribs over the weekend. 

For curing it recommends just having a relatively cool burn to help the gaskets settle. Do you have one and what did you do?

Yeah. I got mine up to about 200c, vents open at top and bottom. If you don't want to waste the charcoal, you could always stick a few burgers on towards the end of your cure. Some people say not to bother with a cure but some folks do because they think their will be residue, chemicals etc from the production and storage of them. 

You got natural firelighters, coal, smoking woods etc? 

If you're after smoking woods, this guy is great. 

Thanks again. I’ve got some Big K restaurant lumpwood and some smoking chunks and chips left over from my old Weber Smokey Mountain. 

I’ve ordered a Looftlighter which will arrive next week (I’m lazy and impatient!), so for now I’ll use my chimney starter with some paper rolled up. I’m overly paranoid about breaking it, having moved from steel to ceramic, but I guess it should cope fine with some lit charcoal being dumped in.