IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

The Joe Jr I've got is built brilliantly, just left it sat out for years and it's in perfect nick still, very well made. Only thing I didn't like on mine as stock was the cast iron grill grate that sits at the bottom of the firebox,(the actual rack for grilling is stainless)  holes were too small for good airflow and it rusted in the winter damp, I replaced it with a stainless one which I'm sure I linked to in this thread - they may have updated the innards though as mine is easily 7y old.

Great little BBQ, not exactly portable from a weight perspective but you could get into a boot and setup for camping, just don't expect to carry it far !

For quick burger cooks though I'd say the Kamado weight/cost isn't really needed. The benefit of the ceramics are insulation and fuel efficiency for longer low and slow cooks. For a few burgers or a chicken breast anything will do you fine. 

On 16/06/2022 at 17:13, womblingfree said:

Just bought a Kamado Classic III. 0% for ten months.

Fuuuuuuuuuck! :omg::omg::omg:

Let us know how you get on, wish I'd have seen - I got a classic 2 during lockdown and use it pretty much every week, sun, rain or snow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/04/2022 at 18:12, Adrock said:

As requested  :

PXL_20220417_161912234_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.ad2b1ccad887b7edc6f23e9af93bf2de.jpg

PXL_20220417_162404706_copy_1512x2016.thumb.jpg.a1d718f05985f78baaa925fc4b36da89.jpg

PXL_20220417_163908394_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.119cbc494721c799a6d9159faf68d718.jpg

My best brisket to date. The point is being saved, the pictures are of the flat. It's very moist in the middle, the edges are a bit dry but that's to be expected with a 17 hour cook.

I'm going to try the point a bit later.

That looks Amazing! I'm going for my first brisket cook in a couple of weeks, i'm following this chap's method for a 7 hour cook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbcD273D2CM

what did you serve alongside it?

More meat! I think I served up a pulled pork, which was my first ever. 

There was loads of salad and jacket potatoes served up as sides, it was a big gathering of over 30 of my family.

Personally I'm very much interested in the meat.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did the challenge and the results were fantastic. I'm claiming beginners luck as at first the temps wouldn't stop hitting 160, then we had a lull down at 119, but at around 5:30am (started at 4) they stabilized at 140ish for the rest of the cook. Took it off the grill at 11:30 and into the cooler wrapped in foil and towels. Served it 3 hours late.

Next time, I'll take photos