IGNORED

What is the longest videogame you can play before completion?

Dimahoo

Minecraft should be mentioned. Whilst I believe there is actually a way to complete it, many people just appear to ignore that and concentrate on exploring and building.

I don't think you can 'finish' it on 360 yet. It needs The End patched in.

I've been playing Okami on and off for around five years without completing it. Not every day, but it's always a presence on the shelf and gets played extensively at least a few times a year, inching ever closer to completion.

The game I've played for the most amount of hours in total though is Final Fantasy XII. Long after completion I was still searching out legendary weapons and ploughing through the monster-hunt stuff. Even with a full FAQ it's still really challenging, and I still didn;t get all those damn monsters! Well over 200 hours on the clock.

Actually I'm still trying to complete Goldeneye on 00. 15 years and counting.

I've never completed Run Baby Run and I've plowed easily several thousand hours into it.

Not that it *is* completable, but anyway.

And not a single play either.

So doesn't count. Ahem.

I played Phantasy Star 3 one weekend in one just over 24 hour sitting. Didn't die at all.

Played Mario 64 when it came out non-stop for almost three solid days. Did die though. Friend had gone away for a long weekend and leant it to me. Had to get all the stars before he got back, and proudly showed him when he did.

He instantly deleted my save :(

Incidentally, the shortest proper game i ever played was whilst i was trying to father a kid...

Black and White....the bouncing ball baby learning bit made me feel so guilty of neglect, i couldn't play it.

I did a "realistic" run of GTA IV—which, incidentally, is how I always play GTA—and it involved sticking to traffic laws, by and large, unless in a chase or a hurry, only stealing cars that were out of sight, and generally acting like a sneaky bastard. Except this time, the aim was to complete it without dying, which I managed. It still took me about 35-40 hours, though.

If i'm honest, on one life it was probably a racing game. A GT2 endurance to be exact.

That Le Mans game on Dreamcast (was it Melbourne House who made it? Can't remember) had a real time 24hr race option which I always want to try, but never did.

edit: I think you could save during pitstops mind.

I did a "realistic" run of GTA IV—which, incidentally, is how I always play GTA—and it involved sticking to traffic laws, by and large, unless in a chase or a hurry, only stealing cars that were out of sight, and generally acting like a sneaky bastard. Except this time, the aim was to complete it without dying, which I managed. It still took me about 35-40 hours, though.

You deserve a +1 for that.

On Super Monkey Ball Expert Mode you can go around the thinnest wire on Expert 9, get all the bunches and an extra life, die, and repeat indefinitely. A couple of guys did it and got scores over 10mil. Think it took them around 24hrs, but you could go on for ever.

I guess there are a few examples of this sort of thing in other games, but usually the score maxes out. Oddly the makers of SMB decided that there are people out there with enough spare time to bother getting over 9,999,999. Fair play, they were right!