IGNORED

Divinity: Original Sin

Mr. Gerbik

Really loving this game, but only after I decided to restart after reaching level 5 with a two-handed fighter / thief combo. The lack of effective AOE really put me at a disadvantage and I found myself switching to easy just to get through some fights.

I also never expected skills like pick-lock, disarm trap and charm to be so pointless. Normally I play these sort of games and get frustrated at the number of locked chests I can't open so I thought a thief character would be nice addition. But so far almost all the chests can be smashed/burned or the keys are pretty easy to find anyway.

Started again with a fire/earth mage / tank fighter and combat is much more interesting. Using elemental spells in combination is really what combat seems to be about.

Has anyone here found a thief type character to be a useful member of their team?

Little tip for anyone worried about clearing each locations quests before going on to the next area - you'll find a lot of those quests resolve themselves or move to the next stage when you talk to characters in the next area. I spent way to long in the first city try to advance quests. Lesson learned.

Re: thievery, I've found Stealth and Pickpocketing to be extremely useful, but lockpicking less so - not so much because of bashing things down (I'm pretty sure smashing chests, at least with fire, can destroy the contents, plus it's slooow) but because magical lockpicking is so effective.

I'm assuming pickpocketing would come in handy during the murder investigation quest - there are numerous ways to find out whodunnit, but I imagine the only way to

get the smelly scarf from Evelyn before killing her at her lair would be to pickpocket it, as it's the only smelly item I couldn't find to give to the dog in the graveyard - I found the smelly boots from the mayor and the smelly panties - eww - from Esmerelda from exploring their houses.

Also, during my second playthrough, I missed out on the quest where you have to decide who to save and who to let die in the doctor's house,

as I'd pushed the murder investigation too far before meeting Evelyn, and she'd run off by the time I'd got to the doctor's

Also, during my second playthrough, I missed out on the quest where you have to decide who to save and who to let die in the doctor's house

I vaguely remember the first divinity game having a similar decision early on, is that right? Does anything come of your choice (I decided to save the older guy with a wife and kids)?

I'm assuming pickpocketing would come in handy during the murder investigation quest - there are numerous ways to find out whodunnit, but I imagine the only way to

get the smelly scarf from Evelyn before killing her at her lair would be to pickpocket it, as it's the only smelly item I couldn't find to give to the dog in the graveyard - I found the smelly boots from the mayor and the smelly panties - eww - from Esmerelda from exploring their houses.

Also, during my second playthrough, I missed out on the quest where you have to decide who to save and who to let die in the doctor's house,

as I'd pushed the murder investigation too far before meeting Evelyn, and she'd run off by the time I'd got to the doctor's

Regarding the first spoiler, you definitely don't need pickpocketing to get a suitable item belonging to that person.

Has anyone here found a thief type character to be a useful member of their team?

I disliked mine at the start (daggers against skeletons doesn't help) but now he's got some useful combat skills (blind, charm) he's improved a lot. Also once you start having more stab-able enemies with soft squishy bits backstab starts dealing much better damage.

Still not bothered with any of the nasty skills other than sneak though and sneak still seems remarkably ineffective at 3 points.

Regarding a minor quest where someone in Cyceal asks you to find someone....

Tom the wannabe adventurer. I believe he's dead in the cave where you fight Arhu's mech thingy. Yet, despite looting all the corpses, there's no journal. Might I find it elsewhere, or am I quest-bugged?

Regarding a minor quest where someone in Cyceal asks you to find someone....

Tom the wannabe adventurer. I believe he's dead in the cave where you fight Arhu's mech thingy. Yet, despite looting all the corpses, there's no journal. Might I find it elsewhere, or am I quest-bugged?

That's where you get it from. It's not called "Tom's Journal" IIRC, and you have to read it to update the quest to the next stage

Just started this glorious game with a friend coop. First impressions are stellar. How on earth did Larian create this, especially when it so full of detail and solid?

As for the coop mechanics, there are some missing to provide a more smooth experience, but all in all it works fine.

In the chat log, when one of the character is talking, the other gets a log entry to see what has been talked about. The problem is that I think the log is messed up and has no proper order. Has anyone experience this?

It will be great if Larian allows both the characters to witness a conversation properly. Perhaps in a future update.

I got this for £13 using Steam key trading. The going rate for a copy is 9 x Mann Co. supply crate keys which you can buy off the market for £1.40. Can be had inside 5 minutes by a quick search on TF2outpost.com. Loads available still.

The game was frustrating me a lot as I kept getting instakilled. I've got the magic user in my group and have started messing with the interplay between elements. Much happier.

got it off GKN for 17quid.

Been playing for the last couple of hours... pretty good... Ultima VIII popped into my head whilst playing it.

Was playing on my MBP, which got roasting hot and the fan was permanently on... MBP played it fine though... might cross the saves over to PC and see how that looks/plays... think a real mouse might play it better.

Jeez, I am such a clutz in this. Constantly tripping over puddles, mis-clicking on enemies and running around them by accident, wasting all my APs, sending my followers into traps, setting fire to everyone EXCEPT the bad guys, etc. Complete user error, it ain't the game's fault at all really, but god damn if I'm not the Jar Jar Binks of Divinity.

Playing coop really makes the game come alive for me. The ability for you and your ally to pick one companion each and go your own ways for some minor quests really gives a great sense of depth to the game. Talking about battles, decisions, role playing the characters in dialogues, trying to figure out the unfolding story, wearing buckets on heads (which hinder vision and hearing) while fighting zombies, discussing with high born cats, etc, this game is super packed. And it all fits this crazy world somehow. It may not have all the staples of a "real" world, a la Skyrim, but man Bethesda could use some lessons from Larian on how to make a world feel alive.

I am also astonished by the graphics. It's not only about the beauty of the game but the detail in everything. This is AAA in the grandest sense. I am genuinely surprised on how they pulled that off.

We've come across some bugs (a side quest seemed to be broken when I was trying to do it but when my friend tried to complete it, it worked) but nothing major yet.

It needs an update on some of the coop things, mainly the dialogue which is difficult for one player to follow if the other is talking (lines disappear too fast and the chat log is kinda messed up) and the ability for one player to retain control of the same companion when the game loads up again (now a player controlls the companion he or she picks but as soon you reload the game the companions default under the control of the host player and each player has to re hire them to control them). Also, I would love the ability to examine an object without picking it up (unless I've missed it somehow) and to be able to show items in the chat window (like WoW) so a player can see if he wants it without trading it, as well as the ability to read something another player has without trading the item.

All in all very impressed. I can't wait to load the game up again.