rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gerbik

Divinity: Original Sin

Music is brilliant so far and I think it looks great as well.

I've avoided most news about this game apart from a few videos I posted and now I find I have no idea about abilities etc and I find it really refreshing compared to a lot of games that spoil things through trailers.

3 hours playing 2-player. Feel like we've barely dented the opening. So much to do and see - have wandered off track into monsters where I proved how useless I was a wizard in a fight by teleporting my partner into a clump of enemies rather than teleporting the one she was fighting away.

So pro.

I think you control those companions yourself - the AI personality automates their side of the dialogue. I did sort of just make that up though, so I could be wrong :D

Edit: A quick check suggests there's one personality available, "loyal". I guess you don't have too many options yet. Further testing shows that selection Loyal automates the dialogue, selection none means you pick each option. It's a bit of a shame they don't have more options in at launch.

Surely the companions and AI personalities should be fairly key components? Not having them in is really poor and I say that as somebody who wants this and nearly bought it. What's the point of having a long Early Access period if it's still going to be released unfinished?

Really liking the combat so far, feels very Fallout 1/2.

I imagine the possibilities are pretty crazy, I'm already summoning huge spiders to help.

Do we have any idea when the patch will arrive which gives the full set of AI and any other outstanding launch features? I'm thinking I might mess around a little bit more and then park it until the "real v1.0" is released. I don't have the gaming time available to play a significant chunk of this through again.

Is it feasible to pick any combination of the two starting classes and be able to play through the game comfortably? Or is it best to pick a balanced duo?

I know that you can pick up companions along the way but I have no idea when you get the first or what classes they are.

I kinda want to play ranger and a caster but it feels wrong to want to play two ranged classes. I worry I may struggle!

Well if you look at the formation icon at the top left, it shows four dots. I'd therefore assume you will have a party of four. So picking two characters that you like, but which aren't necessarily a "killer combination" is probably more important at the start. I'd suggest you might be able to fill the slots with other role types later on in order to balance things out.

If it's anything like the previous Divinity games, and the character creation actually says that it is, you can freely build any kind of custom class from any other class. So pick what you want and let your characters naturally evolve into what suits your playstyle best as you get further into the game.

If it is anything like the previous ones I am staying clear of bunnies...

:) Thanks! Have restarted with the talents and stuff I really liked the look of. Now I can go talk to that cow and see why he sounded so sad.

• Upvote 1

I haven't started the game yet, but talk on the steam forum shows that the only two companions in the game at the moment with any 'personality' and side quests are a knight who uses two handed weapons, and an air/water mage. So depending on how important it is to you that you get dialogue from your companions, you might want to make your starting classes fit around those.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to PC gaming and specs, but if my PC plays Diablo 3 and Witcher 2 with decent settings, will I be able to run this ok?

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to PC gaming and specs, but if my PC plays Diablo 3 and Witcher 2 with decent settings, will I be able to run this ok?

Yes. But it also depends on how optimized the game is.

• Upvote 1

Game looks fab. With the best will in the world though, is it one to leave and come back to in 6 months for more fleshed out content, or is there more than enough in there for a thoroughly epic adventure?

Game looks fab. With the best will in the world though, is it one to leave and come back to in 6 months for more fleshed out content, or is there more than enough in there for a thoroughly epic adventure?

This is the full release so......

This is fucking amazing. It's so fucking amazing. I have no words. Words, there are none. Someone cancel all my pre-orders, I have no need for them anymore.

• Upvote 2

This is fucking amazing. It's so fucking amazing. I have no words. Words, there are none. Someone cancel all my pre-orders, I have no need for them anymore.

I hate "this" posts, but this! A hundred times this.

Have been having a ball, the stupidity in the game that grated on me during Alpha has grown on me so much. Running around with stinky panties and a bucket on my head is just too much fun. Stupid fun. There is a lot of reading in the quests and I've found myself actually old schooling it and writing things down with pen and paper. It's one of those games where you are setting about your business and stop to speak to a cat and you go off and try and find out why it's girlfriend doesn't wanna have kittens with him whilst trying to solve an all important crime when a raving mad man interrupts wanting your attention and you absolutely forget yourself. You keep thinking, right sorted that, now what was I actually doing? Ah yeah, I remember. *head in right direction* see a cute puppy and strike up a conversation and you are off forgetting yourself again. It's awesome.

My only gripe is that the crafting interaction is a bit flaky in that it doesn't work quite a lot of the time. Sometimes I'll be trying to combine things, like taking a knife to a pillow and it won't register, I can try it up to 7 times before it works. What that means is that when I am trying a new combination for the first time, I don't know if it's simply not part of a recipe or if it's not registering the combining. :(

It's a small and niggly thing, not the end of the world and certainly not enough to stop me from playing!

• Upvote 1

My only gripe so far is the npcs in town repeat the same spoken lines far, far too often and I feel you hear them from too far away as well.cou

Yeah, I had to turn the speech volume down because of that.

Only negative thing I have to say about this is that it makes my MacBook Air very hot!

The fact that this appears to be a great game is masking the fact that it's not finished, and that bugs me.

I still want it, but I want it with the things it is meant to have from the start.

• Upvote 1