IGNORED

Different Games that share the same universe

Ketchup

Were G-Police & Wipeout set in the same universe? - remember a few clues in the G-Police intro.. think it was set in 2097, and the corporations had very similiar style to the Wipeout team emblems. Maybe Colony wars was part of it too?

I always liked how Saints row and Red faction were in the same universe,

The Ultor corporation features heavily in both series, I especially liked the line from one of the saints row games stating that 'they can go to mars for all I care!'

Not that suprising since both series were made by volition, but hey. I liked the link :D

Here's one - Burnout and SSX are part of the same universe. The announcer in Burnout 3 at one point says something like "The SSX boarders are taking the summer off to watch the Burnout Tour today from the bar by the bridge" or something to that effect.

This is completely wrong is it not?

The whole thing that differentiates them and distinguishes each is the fact that they're not set in the same universe at all!

They do have almost identical mechanics but the IP/world is totally different as it's Sony that owns the Demon's Souls IP.

This cross over stuff is nonsense, that's not the same as existing in the same universe.

Not sure, never played either but its what i read elsewhere.

Isn't the idea with soul caliber that all the best fighters from the multiverse are brought together to fight? I thought the whole point of the plot was a flimsy excuse for a bunch of crossovers.

Aren't kane and lynch also in the hitman world?

Kane and Lynch's escape from prison is mentioned in Hitman: Blood Money, so yeah.

Ivalice is interesting, as the games that are set in it are Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, FFXII: Revenant Wings, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics A2. The first Final Fantasy Tactics Advance game is set in the real world, but the boy in it finds a magical book which pulls him into the world of his favourite Final Fantasy game, though it's never stated which one. I assumed at the time it was FFT, but as it has Montblanc in it and he's from FFXII I guess maybe his favourite game is FFXII, despite it being released later. That said, with FFXII's endless, torturous development I suppose it's possible that it and FFTA were in development at the same time.

Well the reason that some of those games use Ivalice as the setting is because Matsuno, who directed some of those games, invented the place.

He directed Tactics, Vagrant Story and then FFXII (at least until his breakdown and leaving Squaresoft anyway). Any sequels to those games seem to have chosen to keep themselves set in the same universe.

Here's one - Burnout and SSX are part of the same universe. The announcer in Burnout 3 at one point says something like "The SSX boarders are taking the summer off to watch the Burnout Tour today from the bar by the bridge" or something to that effect.

That must have happened post creation of both game series, as Burnout started out being published by Acclaim when Criterion were still part of Canon UK, that would be a retcon.

Isn't that a bit of a cheat though, given that the link was made after EA acquired the rights to the Burnout franchise?

Going back in time a bit, "Room Ten" was a strange 3D table tennis game that the inlay described as being a recreational activity favoured by the pilots of the GalCorp corporation, which was the focus of "Tau Ceti" and "Academy".

There are a whole bunch of connections between the (nominally separate) Final Fantasy games out there for anyone geeky enough to dig for them. Like for instance apparently some of the "worlds" are actually the same from another game, but thousands of years in the past or future.

There are a whole bunch of connections between the (nominally separate) Final Fantasy games out there for anyone geeky enough to dig for them. Like for instance apparently some of the "worlds" are actually the same from another game, but thousands of years in the past or future.

More details pls

More details pls

Well, I mainly got them from the massive NeoGaf thread I linked to in the "Think you know gaming" thread. One off the top of my head was that the character "Garland" who turns up towards the end of FF9 is actually meant to literally be e end boss from FF1, who'd travelled across universes or something.

Interesting, I'd like to hear more about that type of thing, I remember reading some fan theory that strongly linked FFX to one of the earlier games, maps and all but I can't remember where. I tried to read that GAF thread but it was just awful, some really interesting info thinly spread between acres of bullshit.

Those games tend to feature lots of recurring elements like enemies and items and Summons, but there are some dev statements from Super-Ultimate-Japan-Only-Fan-Guides where the developer has said those little recurring fanservice things are actual connections, which is really dumb. Like there's a kid in FFX called Shinra and he invented Materia and space travel and went to FFVII world and formed the company Shinra, which is stupid and is far better left as just an "oh remember this game" piece of fanservice.

There is also a recurring optional comedy boss called Gilgamesh who travels between the gameworlds collecting Legendary swords from the heros, except they're all poor knock-offs.

There are links between Halo and Marathon, but I'm not sure they share the same universe.

No. Halo included a lot of marathon references (and at least one enemy in some point...s of its development)

but them being in the same universe wouldn't make sense.

In combat evolved anniversary edition, all the marathon symbols have been removed. Probably cause it belongs to bungie.

Tomb Raider, Kane and Lynch and Legacy of Kain via Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Lara Croft, Agent 47, Kain, J C Denton and Gex and some other equally random Eidos characters are all in Lara Croft's Poker Party. (Yeah, that's dumb crossover rather than shared universe.)

Has it been mentioned that all the id games from Commander Keen onward are in the same universe?

BJ Blazkowicz is Commander Keen's grandad. He also mortally wounds the Cyberdemon from Doom in Wolf RPG. Doomguy is in Quake III Area along with the protagonists of Quake I and II, and 'Mixom' corporation from Doom 3 is in Rage.

No. Halo included a lot of marathon references

but them being in the same universe wouldn't make sense.

Yeah, I think it's the complete opposite of being in the same universe, in that they have dudes in space suits and AI and alien races and are first person shooters but all the names have been changed.

Well, I mainly got them from the massive NeoGaf thread I linked to in the "Think you know gaming" thread. One off the top of my head was that the character "Garland" who turns up towards the end of FF9 is actually meant to literally be e end boss from FF1, who'd travelled across universes or something.

IX is basically a "best of" game In game mechanics (one of the reasons I enjoy it so much) and it's filled with nods and direct references to previous games. It's fan service to the core. Every game in the main series until that point has multiple references in IX, some obvious, some obscure. All the equipment is named after equipment from Tactics as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197338-final-fantasy-ix/faqs/10947

Been a while since i played it but things like Garland travelling universes seem a bit like the GnG/Maximo thing, assumptions that aren't proven.