rllmuk
Vemsie

Cyberpunk 2077 - Delayed until November 19th

It does sound and look amazing. The no loading screen thing is clearly BS though. That footage from the hover car landing in the basketball court from the B-roll stuff is clearly a masked loading screen, which is why the car windows go opaque just before it lands, and then the door opens and the basketball players are much closer to the car, and much higher detail models.

It's fine that it does that, of course, but it's clearly using traditional techniques to transition to new areas.

You just know this is going to have a lot of idiotic think-piece criticisms of it like those Americans outraged that Witcher 3 had no black people. 

I've already seen someone up in arms that a Hispanic character has the number 13 tattoo. :facepalm:

• Empathy 1

I hope there's more of an option to beef up the number of NPCs in the game - I'm assuming it was down to the way the game was being streamed to the people invited to preview it, but the city looked considerably less populated than the initial trailers/previews we saw a while back. Considering just how good it felt to see a dense crowd at work in Novidgrad in Witcher 3, I'm hoping that I can push the slider right up and get those crowds back :) 

Edit: On the plus side, I love the way the new trailer shows huge amounts of stuff but it's 'just' from the prologue bits :D .

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

You just know this is going to have a lot of idiotic think-piece criticisms of it like those Americans outraged that Witcher 3 had no black people. 

I've already seen someone up in arms that a Hispanic character has the number 13 tattoo. :facepalm:

What does 13 stand for in Hispanic?

9 minutes ago, df0 said:

What does 13 stand for in Hispanic?

Bakers dozen.  They make an extra one in case someone gets peckish.

• Upvote 1

God, the first trailer from yesturday looks stunning.

Media black out again. I'm crossing my fingers my fairly new 2070 RTX PC will be capable running this reasonably at 2560x1440 without needing to turn all settings down to vaseline mode.

Although it's fun to talk about the tech aspects, the real draw of the game is hopw they've used it to build a great looking world. Hopefully, the mechanics are engaging and the world is full of life to draw you in.

I am getting quite conflicting with this. There is no way I’m playing this on the Pro or the X but will the new consoles be strong enough to have these RT effects? Or should I go for a PC upgrade which I swore I wouldn’t do this gen? :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I am getting quite conflicting with this. There is no way I’m playing this on the Pro or the X but will the new consoles be strong enough to have these RT effects? Or should I go for a PC upgrade which I swore I wouldn’t do this gen? :facepalm:

If you want it to look like the trailer, you probably need to beef up your PC. It was running on a 2080 RTX Ti, which is well above next-gen consoles in power. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, @PC Master Race

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Wools said:

God, the first trailer from yesturday looks stunning.

Media black out again. I'm crossing my fingers my fairly new 2070 RTX PC will be capable running this reasonably at 2560x1440 without needing to turn all settings down to vaseline mode.

Although it's fun to talk about the tech aspects, the real draw of the game is hopw they've used it to build a great looking world. Hopefully, the mechanics are engaging and the world is full of life to draw you in.

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

That's what DLSS is for ;)

And the initial version on new consoles, is the "old" console version, that probably wont have them enabled, but will come later, most likely in a sort of half res ( or quarter if that GT thing is anything to go by :unsure: )  mode, that unless you are reaaaaally looking at, you will just think, cool reflection :)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Acchhh... cool. Whatever, man. Give me a big floating alien to shoot in the eye over all that shite any day.

image.png.0bdb4e8aeac882db1fd6b4de1f85aeb2.png

Who knows, maybe a giant brain monster with one eye is jacked into the city controlling everything. ;)

• Upvote 1

I thought it was interesting that the reviewers got to play the game via Geforce Now for a few reasons. Firstly, it's obviously a great way to control access to the game and not have to fly journalists around the world during a pandemic, not to mention carbon footprint. I think we'll start seeing a lot more of this and is a bit of a PR win for Geforce Now. Surprised Nvidia or not making a bit more of it.

Secondly, Geforce Now have had a bit of a nightmare since it went live with publishers pulling games left right and centre from the service. If the biggest game of 2020 is on the service, then I think it could be a huge shot in the arm. And thirdly, considering that if you want the most cutting edge graphical experience with RT and so on, you need to drop a grand plus on a new PC (assuming you don't have one already), this could be a viable solution for those willing to live with better graphics albeit with some lag and poorer IQ.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

If you want it to look like the trailer, you probably need to beef up your PC. It was running on a 2080 RTX Ti, which is well above next-gen consoles in power. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, @PC Master Race

Well my not particularly overclocked 2080ti clocks in at around 17 tflops which is somewhat higher than the next gen consoles. You also have much higher memory bandwidth which is dedicated purely to graphics and not having to work double shifts as main system RAM.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Well my not particularly overclocked 2080ti clocks in at around 17 tflops which is somewhat higher than the next gen consoles. You also have much higher memory bandwidth which is dedicated purely to graphics and not having to work double shifts as main system RAM.

well, it’s higher at 620 or so. The seriesx at 10GB at 560GB/s is much less far off than it used to be though: a 2080 has 8GB at 448...

14 hours ago, Vemsie said:

• You can choose between circumsized and non-circumsized penis

Finally, my long time role playing dream comes true.

Just watched that DF video. Damn, it's a good looking game, isn't it? Hopefully they can iron-out some of the pop-in that is noticable in the desert area.

26 minutes ago, footle said:

well, it’s higher at 620 or so. The seriesx at 10GB at 560GB/s is much less far off than it used to be though: a 2080 has 8GB at 448...

Those 8 Ryzen 2 cores are going to be far more hungry for bandwidth than the Jaguar cores ever were. Plus an extra 120GB of memory bandwidth is nothing to be sneezed at.

image.png.e4bf43f31e5a6d7891ecfc3a981a5cca.png

Given all the drooling over the graphics over the past few pages, I suspect this will not be a popular opinion, but I’m a bit disappointed by the art direction they’ve gone with. It feels quite generic to me. Certain bits look like they’re straight out of Deus Ex or that standard gritty, dark cyberpunk aesthetic we've seen a lot from games like Ruiner and that game they showed at the recent Xbox event.

It’s not bad per se, and I know cyberpunk is meant to be fairly gritty and dark, but I was hoping they would do something distinct within that. The desert around the city is called the Badlands. Really? I expect a bit more from CDPR.

Still, this is probably gonna be the deepest Western RPG in years.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It’s not bad per se, and I know cyberpunk is meant to be fairly gritty and dark, but I was hoping they would do something distinct within that. T

Such as?

Genuinely i'm curious?

as i kinda know what you mean...i just think its a restriction of the hardware its being made on, the base consoles, and it being an open world would limit what could be done

I have not watched any of the videos, have they confirmed support for the next gen consoles?

If it wasn't a licensed Cyberpunk game then I'd possibly agree, but I'm such a huge fan of the general neon 80s aesthetic of the original RPG that if it wasn't like this I'd be most upset :p 

• Empathy 1

51 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Such as?

Genuinely i'm curious?

as i kinda know what you mean...i just think its a restriction of the hardware its being made on, the base consoles, and it being an open world would limit what could be done

I'm not sure, really, I just feel the art style and everything about it just looks like what I would expect a cyber punk game to look like, nothing really new or interesting from what little we've seen.

Although I wasn't aware it was a license of an existing franchise, as JoeK has pointed out, which I suppose explains why they haven't made any major departures from the standard cyberpunk dystopia aesthetic. That makes me feel a lot better about dessert wastes being called something as utterly generic as "the Badlands."

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

If it wasn't a licensed Cyberpunk game then I'd possibly agree, but I'm such a huge fan of the general neon 80s aesthetic of the original RPG that if it wasn't like this I'd be most upset :p 

Sadly (in my view) this. There was so much had to be adhered to from the source material, and little chance to world build from scratch.

It just makes me wish it wasn't licensed, and makes me a little puzzled as to why they bothred. I've never heard of it and I'm not necessarily convinced that the majority of the people excited about it are excited because of the license so much as because it's an RPG with a cyberpunk aesthetic from the makers of The Witcher 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

19 hours ago, Vemsie said:

TL;DR: The who can most brutally overwork their staff battle between TLoU2 and Cyberpunk is gonna be interesting.

FTFY

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Yeah, I'll be honest, I've got it preordered but I'm really not loving the setting or the Xtreme tone.

I'm sure it'll be a very high quality RPG but I've had preferred they did something less throwback.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Given all the drooling over the graphics over the past few pages, I suspect this will not be a popular opinion, but I’m a bit disappointed by the art direction they’ve gone with. It feels quite generic to me. Certain bits look like they’re straight out of Deus Ex or that standard gritty, dark cyberpunk aesthetic we've seen a lot from games like Ruiner and that game they showed at the recent Xbox event.

It’s not bad per se, and I know cyberpunk is meant to be fairly gritty and dark, but I was hoping they would do something distinct within that. The desert around the city is called the Badlands. Really? I expect a bit more from CDPR.

Still, this is probably gonna be the deepest Western RPG in years.

The style of characters and general art direction is quite distinct. Compared to something like Bladerunner or Deus Ex it has a humanity in its environments, plus, a "punk". :P

Also, about the names, you do know the game is based on a 1980s tabletop game, right?

Perhaps it feels somehow derivative because the original Cyberpunk is basically the foundation for everything in this genre. 

Personally I think it looks fantastic and has exactly the aesthetic I expected Cyberpunk to have. But each to their own :) 

• Upvote 6