rllmuk

Cyberpunk 2077 - Out on November 19th

I'd never heard of the Witcher before I played it and at first glance but it was generic fantasy western RPG. Three turned out to be maybe my fave game of all time (Hearts of Stone is maybe my fave piece of single player gaming in years).

I'm ok with Cyberpunk being cyberpunky and being based on someone elses work like the witcher was.

Also my 2080ti is ready (to cry with full RTX on)

• Upvote 6

I really enjoyed TW3 but I continue to feel kinda meh about this in general. I've watched all the gameplay stuff they've put out so far and none of it has wowed me at all. The world looks nice but the combat looks pretty standard really and none of the writing has landed with me at all.

Although for the writing I will say that I didn't really expect much from TW3 based on the trailers in terms of writing and tone and I was wrong about that so I'm hoping that's the case here. 

• Upvote 4
23 hours ago, Wiper said:

I mean, I have a fondness for Cyberpunk [the RPG], but the reason Cyberpunk [the video game] feels derivative isn't simply because Cyberpunk [the RPG] was foundational, but because Cyberpunk [the RPG] was itself highly derivative of the major cyberpunk [the genre] settings that came of the early, pulp cyberpunk [the genre] fiction and films. I.e., the neon-soaked, orient-fetishising, corp-run, ridiculous-naming aesthetic was very much established as the stereotype before the 1989 release of Cyberpunk [the RPG].

Also, if there was ever an example of why you shouldn't name your game after its genre, it's the above paragraph.

Fair point. :) In my defence I wrongly thought original Cyberpunk [RPG] was late 70's not late 80's (e.g. pre-Blade Runner, etc... ) so it's perhaps less of an early genre keystone than I realised. I'm also maybe a little bias as I was introduced to cyberpunk [the genre] in my early teens (early/mid 90s) through the Cyberpunk 2020 and Shadowrun RPG games (and 2000AD comics) so they all feel pretty formative in my appreciation of the genre and it's tropes.

Either way, I'm properly hyped about this game. :sealclap:

6 hours ago, Zael said:

I really enjoyed TW3 but I continue to feel kinda meh about this in general. I've watched all the gameplay stuff they've put out so far and none of it has wowed me at all. The world looks nice but the combat looks pretty standard really and none of the writing has landed with me at all.

Although for the writing I will say that I didn't really expect much from TW3 based on the trailers in terms of writing and tone and I was wrong about that so I'm hoping that's the case here. 

It looks more accomplished than TW3 in terms of gameplay I think. TW3 did melee combat and didn't do it very well and it seems this game gives you a lot more to work with. It's a proper RPG for starters, with character creation, different backgrounds (and playable prologues to go with them), a fluid class system and according to the devs way more different ways to solve quests thanks to the immersive sim elements. Up to seven different outcomes for one quest. That's all pretty interesting and the hands-on impressions basically confirm all this. Seems the melee is once again the worst part, it's something CDPR really struggle with. They should buy some folks from Arkane.

Anyone got something I can read to get a flavour for cyberpunk's lore/setting in general? I'd like to become au fait with terminology etc in advance of digging into it! 

46 minutes ago, robdood said:

Anyone got something I can read to get a flavour for cyberpunk's lore/setting in general? I'd like to become au fait with terminology etc in advance of digging into it! 

Honestly, your best bet is probably the RPG itself. Either the sourcebook for Cyberpunk 2020 second edition (avoid 3.0, it's not great and has been retconned out of existence), which is a decent-sized volume of rules and setting, and should give you the flavour and terminology (but be, well, 57 years out of in-game date). Alternatively, you can look at the 'jumpstart' kit for Cyberpunk Red, which should be completely up-to-date with the video game, but is considerably lighter on content (being a starter kit rather than a full sourcebook), and I can't speak to its quality.

As you're only interested in the setting, there's no real downside to just picking up a digital release of either rather than paying out for physical copies with character sheets etc. Red jumpstart can be had for $10, second edition source book for $15.

As is typical of RPG's, there were lots of supplemental books made covering different aspects of Cyberpunk - including e.g. an entire book about Night City - but given they're all set in 2020 I fear the more specific they get, the less relevant they'll be to the new game. Also, you know, that's probably not a rabbit hole you want to go down.

There were also novels made within the setting. I strongly recommend not reading them.

• Upvote 4

I concur. I’ve got the Red jumpstart kit and it’s got quite a bit in across the included PDFs, specifically the “world book” which gives a run down of the game world’s main historical events, details Night City life, etc... over 20 odd pages of info, and then extra bits more passively through adventure settings and things. The rule book also has bits the sorts of classes, cyberware and weapon you will likely see, as well as some of the world slang and things. You can definitely tell it’s the starter set of info, but for the cost it’s pretty good (if you are into it). I picked it up from DriveThruRPG.

The proper full Red sourcebook is due out any time (It was supposed to be with the game) which will have more in. Red is the official link between 2020 and the 2077 game so will be a good source for where Night City is up to.

• Upvote 1

Reading that list that Vemsie posted actually makes me somewhat doubtful about the quality of the final product. Like: the game sounds stupendously ambitious. Too ambitious. Impossibly ambitious. And it's supposed to run on current-gen hardware. Makes me want to press X to doubt.

7 hours ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

Reading that list that Vemsie posted actually makes me somewhat doubtful about the quality of the final product. Like: the game sounds stupendously ambitious. Too ambitious. Impossibly ambitious. And it's supposed to run on current-gen hardware. Makes me want to press X to doubt.

F

7 hours ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

It's possible. The jump from GTA IV to GTA V on the Xbox 360 was amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, layten said:

A friend of mine just found out he had about £10k worth of Steam CS items in his inventory and gifted me a copy of this. :) 

I've got 38p's worth of Artifact cards and you get nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Now we've had a closer look at the nomads, I really like the vehicle aesthetic they have going on. The whole 'old banger retrofitted with future tech' thing has become a bit of a genre unto itself lately, loved it ever since Looper.

Also, more fucking Refused!

That's at least 4 songs at last count, wouldn't be surprised if there's more besides. Really interesting perspective on 'musical acting' as it were, too.

Have they shown off the map yet? They seem to keep showing off the same areas during these videos, so I can’t wait to see how big the world is.

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Out on November 19th