Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Rockstar make cinematic adventure games within an open world, not RPGs with multiple layers and systems. 

I adored rdr and slightly less so rdr2 but I find Cyberpunk much more interesting as a videogame because I love RPGs. I like building a character and tailoring a build to the way I play. Cyberpunk has me gripped far beyond anything rdr2 managed. It feels like my world and my adventure cos I choose how I play and what I do. Rdr games are on rails open worlds really.

Buggy as shit though. Not gonna let that go. 

Depends how much you want to play it - there’s bugs, seems to be the way with big open world games but CDPR seem to be patching like crazy and most likely will keep patching till they get it right. 
 Is anything game breaking - certainly on Series X so far no, can’t speak for the PC and it needs a fairly hefty machine to get the beat out of it (hence why I’m on Xbox as a £1500 pc upgrade was just a step too far). 

It's odd because on the one hand there's a game here that has blown me away with its world building and immersion and I just love everything about it but on the other, even on a decent pc it's really rough. 

I've put nearly 20 hours in since Thursday, and I can't remember the last time I've gamed this compulsively, but I've also never had to reload this many saves. I've never had so many hard hitting cutscenes interrupted by NPC's walking through walls or ghost cars appearing in roads. It feels like it could just completely break at any moment.

So yeah, it's an amazing incredible broken experience so if you can wait then wait.

I can't though. 

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Damn, thread moves fast. What's the consensus, then? Wait for a while until the patches come in, or buy, buy buy? I'll be playing in PC.

Depends how good your PC is.

it’ll be better if you wait, but it shows off a top end PC better than anything else. (Including a rockstar “game”)

I think I'm sacking it until the next-gen patch. All of the things it does well it does them to a score of 10/10 for me, but the experience has been spoiled by really shitty bugs, awful NPC AI (like, GTA3 AI), a useless minimap and mind bogglingly bad vehicle handling. 

Some of these things will no doubt be tweaked/fixed in time and some will not, but hopefully I'll be able to feel like I've had a good experience not feel deflated and frustrated. I really want to love this game but it just isn't possible at the moment. 

I am absolutely loving this so far. I spent a long time faffing about with settings before biting the bullet and dropping to 1440p, but since then I've had a blast. I've done a bunch of story missions and a gig so far, and as good as the story stuff has been it was the little gig that made me smile with the options it offered.

Also it all looks absolutely stunning. There's so many amazing visual details, like a character's hair moving believably while casting (presumably ray-traced) shadows on their body. It's just ridiculous.

I think PC players have been at a serious advantage over the past two days, even if half their time was spent tinkering with settings (me too). :sherlock:

I'm new to PC gaming, but i saw the inevitable shit-show of this years next-gen hype/demand/bots/scalpers/lack of stock/disappointment, so i decided to give my new 'work' laptop a little bit extra oomph! 

And this game was the biggest influence on that purchase. My gaming laptop which i use for work is nothing compared to the real PC bad-boys, but it does the job well, and given what i've seen, i sympathise for my console bretheren, because you should definitely shelve this game until its fully optimised for your PS5/XBSX.

I've played the game for 8 hours yesterday, and 8 hours today. When a game does that there is clearly something good about it. And i know i'm not alone! The bummer is; this games release has been anticipated for sooooooo long, the actual product (finished or not) will never ever live up to everyones expectations. 

But. It's here and we're playing it. And yes some players have bugs and problems. Me too. But i have never know a known a game of this magnitude to be on v1.04 after 2 days! Four patches shows they knew it was too soon, but they are not gonna let us suffer too long.

For that, i say "kudos" to the developers. And chatting with a friend this evening, we both concluded that by Easter 2021 this game will be considered one of the best.

My point being: don't judge it too harsly when they should have, but could not have delayed it again. And don't play it on console until its absolutely ready.

Games have no expiration date. Play it when its best for you, personally. ^_^

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Yeah, the UI is absolutely fucking appalling. And this is something CDPR just have never got right in any of their games. 

Witcher 3 gets a pass because it's one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure to play, but the menu system is shite. 

Yeah it's a horror show. I discovered tonight that using the dpad shifts around the main boxes. Before that I was ready to kill someone having to use the cursor thing.

Well, I have now played 20 hours so far on PC and had two crashes, (which could have very well been down to my PC anyway)  and one bug, which was pretty annoying It involved an on screen "fizzle" effect which I realized after about 15mins of playing maybe shouldn't be lasting as long as it did. Anyway, after nearly getting a headache, I restarted the game and it went away...

Bugs are fixable (and often hilarious. I had a plane land to drop off 8 guards as part of a side mission and out dropped a ball of NPCs stuck together which I made quick work of with my mantis blades) and I expect the game to be in much better shape in a few months. The biggest issue I have with it is the non-existent AI. What happened to all the bullshit claims about 1000 inhabitants with real life schedules that were made as recently as June 2020? 

As noted above, one of the more interesting tidbits concerns NPCs. In the Witcher 3, only a select number of such characters had daily routines to follow. The studio is upping the ante with its newest RPG, evidenced by a supposed 1,000-plus NPCs having a daily “handmade” routine.

Stuff you'd think would be one of the first features to be added in a city RPG like driver AI or police patrols/response are just completely non-existent. I wonder how much might have been cut trying to make something that could work on the base consoles...

Some of the story missions are amazing and I've not regretted buying it in the slightest but I do feel cheated by their marketing over the last year.

6 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Its a shooty RPG. I played the division games all year so I’m well into it. Try hacking their eyes to give yourself the opportunity to do some damage

Figured out the way it does room by room enemy alerting now & how to use some of the cameras to scout and hax0r. Managed to get a slightly better gun and considerably better aim too!

Have been playing on Stadia and encountered a weird bug where I could suddenly no longer am down weapon sights or reload. Great fun so far, but the combat is weird - enemies are bullet sponges, who require several shots to the head before dying. It really breaks the sense of immersion and reminds one they’re playing a game, as numbers float away and health bars decrease. 

Apart from those peeves, very engrossing. 

4 minutes ago, choddo said:

Figured out the way it does room by room enemy alerting now & how to use some of the cameras to scout and hax0r. Managed to get a slightly better gun and considerably better aim too!

Or get yourself a tasty Katana (after spec'ing into Blades), bum rush every enemy, 3-4 hit combo, stagger, charge RT, and the head comes clean off in a wonderfully satisfying animation!

The AI is not savvy enough to deal with your aggression. I've yet to meet and enemy that can penetrate my armour > health before i cut them limb from limb. Pistols and crit are for fools.  ;)

Just now, Popo said:

Have been playing on Stadia and encountered a weird bug where I could suddenly no longer am down weapon sights or reload. Great fun so far, but the combat is weird - enemies are bullet sponges, who require several shots to the head before dying. It really breaks the sense of immersion and reminds one they’re playing a game, as numbers float away and health bars decrease. 

I found the first few missions like that but then I found a couple of half decent guns and changed my tactics slightly using cover properly with lean peeking and stuff and had a much better time of it. By the time I got to act 2 I was a godlike John Wick picking off most NPCs with one/two burst headshot kills even on very hard. There are some seriously good guns to be found on some of the assault or crime in progress side quests.

1 minute ago, Curtis said:

The AI is not savvy enough to deal with your aggression. I've yet to meet and enemy that can penetrate my armour > health before i cut them limb from limb. Pistols and crit are for fools.  ;)

This goes for any weapon (well apart from the sniper, but precision rifles are ok). The AI can't cope with bum rushing it. I did two side quests beating people to death with Sir John Phallustiff, a 12 inch dildo that flaps about as you run and makes a nice buzzing sound for about 450dps base. 

7 minutes ago, Curtis said:

The AI is not savvy enough to deal with your aggression. I've yet to meet and enemy that can penetrate my armour > health before i cut them limb from limb. Pistols and crit are for fools. 

What difficulty setting are you playing? 

7 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Very hard. The difficulty balance is pretty poor (shock!) was quite hard for the first couple of missions in Night City with shit guns then it got super easy. The only time you can't go super ham is when there are > 4 people trying to shoot you at once and its best to pick one or two off first before rushing in.

I’m on Series X and have played about seven hours, had only one T pose and some stutters so pretty happy. Best graphically for me is quality mode with DOF and chromatic abb. off and switching to performance for any gunplay 

13 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Sorry to disappoint, but i never play RPG's on anything other than the default Normal difficulty. I see no reason to make every encounter or side quest a chore when i'm here for the meat & bones story aspect.

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

yeah RDR2 is a beautiful world with fuck all to do in it and every single thing that occurs is tightly scripted. Ok you can fish and walk very slowly. I struggled to simply explore RDR2 without an objective in mind. Night City I could wander around in forever 

Jesus, the insane detail in this city. I just drove into the storm drains, blasted along then crashed into the river; swam up and out of the edges into a shanty town. The back side of the bridge was encrusted with scaffolding structures that, what, 1% of players are ever going to see. Just so many ways to cut across or through or around areas - it's a truly 3D space, as opposed to a grid of 2D roads lined with boxes, some of which you can climb on top of.

Building the city is where the work went, clearly.

21 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Sorry to disappoint, but i never play RPG's on anything other than the default Normal difficulty. I see no reason to make every encounter or side quest a chore when i'm here for the meat & bones story aspect.

I'm surprised, tbh, your Souls affection would suggest to me that you'd bump it up a bit at least.  :)

8 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I'm surprised, tbh, your Souls affection would suggest to me that you'd bump it up a bit at least.  :)

Contrary to popular belief, i don't like hard games. Souls are balanced unlike anything else. And i've always believed any game that adds difficulty options hasn't done enough to balance their game properly, so they introduce artificial parameters...the usual +HP +ATK, its so very disappointing and lazy.

This game is just as bad. You can crouch, sneak, grab an enemy, snap their neck, and DONE! You cannot crouch, sneak, stand up and point-blank Shotgun their cranium. You will get 30% off their HP at best!

The shotgun is a great weapon for downing enemies, but you still have to walk up and spend 2 more shells to finish off a bog-standard punk, even on Normal.

How does that make any sense from a balancing perspective? And why would i ever want to turn up the false difficulty? No. I do what i always do with games; i find the weak points. I find the weapons, perks, elements, and use them to exploit the unbalanced difficulty. Thats why a few hours ago i was posting about my success with Blades, even the GOG free Katana was working wonders when i could've switched to something higher level.

All RPG's have the same tropes. My interest is always playing long enough so that i understand the parameters, and how best to exploit them. Never ever because its hard work. Games are fun, and escapism, not masochism, despite my Souls background.

Man, these PC screenshots are really driving home what a load of old plums it looks like on PS4 :/

It's a testament to the engine and the art direction that most of the time the shonky textures and lighting don't get in the way of enjoying the game. It's really only in the driving mode that the performance really starts to chug. (on Pro)

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags