Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

20 minutes ago, Moz said:

It doesn't take long at all to turn HDR off at the system level on the Xbox (roughly the same amount of presses as it takes to turn it off in an in-game menu on PS5) but you have to remember to restart the game or you still see the HDR menus and can't adjust the gamma in-game.

Yes but in the game you'd just do it once, at a system-level you have to remember to do it each time you switch between Cyberpunk and something that works properly.

IMHO this has suffered from scope creep in it's development. It has had a 8 year development length and the final results and build have outstripped what the Xbox One and PS4 base machines can actually handle. To be fair no amount of patches can solve the fact that these machines are running on 7+ year old hardware - which architectures and chip designs older than that.  

Anyhow it is what it is. It will be interesting what the patches can actually do. Lets hope they can sort it out so its at least playable.

I put a return request to the game collection on ebay with an upload of the cdpr image from this morning and they have accepted the return request

Such a shame really I was so looking forward to this. But no point spending £40 on a shelf filler with no idea when the upgrades will appear. I would wager the PS5 / XSX upgrades will be pushed back even further now in order to get this running for the systems actually labelled on the box.

Let's do Good News, Bad News

Bad News first!

The street racing is sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiitt. They're not hard, they're just boring. 30 odd checkpoints against piss poor AI makes for a very tiresome race. They should be half the length. 

Good news now!

Some of the side quests are really good. Met a character I hope to team up with again, or at least encounter again. The quest finished on a decidedly unfinished note, I'm expecting a phone call later in the game to follow up. 

Also, I think I have completely finished the Delamain quests, but....

Spoiler

I had enough INT to merge the rogue AI's with Del'. Not sure that was the best option mind you, but setting them free just has them buggering off, driving on their own around Night City or god knows where. Merging them has the AI decide to leave night city, leaving Del Jr in the one remaining car in the garage just for you (you get it if you set the AI's free too - shit reward though, the car is fucking awful). 

I'm now wondering if V can expect a call from the new AI for more shenanigans, or if that's it. Was a cool little story though if you read all the emails in the Delamain building - the Taxi firm employed an AI to do basic stuff, but Management decided to let the AI handle the workshop maintenance as well, laying off all the mechanics, somewhere along the lines the AI becomes sentient and takes over the whole company, laying off everyone and running the whole thing itself. :lol:

Was great to hear GLaDOS again. :wub:

52 minutes ago, MattyP said:

IMHO this has suffered from scope creep in it's development. It has had a 8 year development length and the final results and build have outstripped what the Xbox One and PS4 base machines can actually handle. To be fair no amount of patches can solve the fact that these machines are running on 7+ year old hardware - which architectures and chip designs older than that.  

Anyhow it is what it is. It will be interesting what the patches can actually do. Lets hope they can sort it out so its at least playable.

Yeah, there's only so much that can be done on base consoles. Noone is expecting miracles for those versions but at the least they need to try and address the horrific frame rate drops, character LODs and unloaded textures. Unfortunately having watched a technical breakdown; texture loading and asset streaming in particular are always going to struggle on these systems because of their low powered CPUs. The amount of detail and the way the game is built fundamentally makes it unviable on the old hardware. I guess they're just going to have to try and optimise where they can.

I don't want to harp on about technical issues as we're all sick to death of it, but its important to highlight whats going on with base PS4 for those who don't have the base systems - and given the latest CDPR response. This isn't a rant, it's just stating facts about the performance so you can see the kind of issues I've dealt with.

Last night I spent most of the time in the open world in the central districts and the cracks on PS4 are really showing. Entering whole markets where every character is a goldeneye model (even right in front of you) where over time they pop into full detail one by one once you get close enough, just like the videos you've seen. I entered a shop for a story mission and watched as over the course of 7 seconds the room went from being seemingly completely empty to having 10 NPCs loaded inside, two of which were women in a queue in the wrong location and stuck inside each other. If you arrive at locations via driving, sometimes whole sections of building, or objects including cars remain in their most blocky lego state for 5 seconds or more. This is happening regularly in the open world. Now when I'm going around Night City I usually stop every so often to let stuff load in. I try not to run or drive if I'm approaching anything mission-based so the world can hopefully load everything in properly.

Although all along I have been saying the game's still playable, I've recently ran into instances where its actually not, always out in the open world, either when you're driving or when shit's going down. The game will sometimes stop for 4 seconds in the middle of speeding down roads as it loads the next chunk or whatever. Receiving calls when driving at speed usually has a delay of about 3-6 seconds where you actually lose control of the vehicle whilst it loads in the call, you lose acceleration. Sometimes the animated image of the caller doesn't even have time to load before the call is over, and on reloading saves I know the animation is supposed to be there because it works when you're on foot. I've had the framerate drop to literally unplayable out in the world, usually when things are exploding, there are a lot of enemies or vehicles are crashing. Low enough where the screen is jerking around and making it almost impossible to aim.

Thankfully moments like this aren't that common, but they're becoming more common as missions become more intense. The crazy thing is that, as I've said, get indoors or into a story mission and its like playing a different game. Things look great, there are less bugs in general and it generally runs pretty well (as long as you aren't on outdoor adventures). I really think CDPR put more effort into optimising the main quest for launch and the interiors lend themselves much better for old hardware.

Now do these issues make the game unplayable? No, except with the odd exception mentioned above. Do they wreck the immersion? Yes, but thankfully the worst offenders are limited to side content and open world stuff. Is it acceptable? No, and I don't have time for any apologists here or anywhere else on the web. When it falls down, it falls down hard and it shouldn't have been released in this state full stop. I'm glad they are issuing refunds but I won't commend them for their prescripted apology, its entirely their own fault and they knowingly took advantage of maybe 40 percent of their playerbase. They deserve all the backlash they're getting. Some of the issues may be blown out of proportion but people's standards vary. I'm willing to overlook crappy graphics and poor performance, I've been gaming since the mid 80's but even I'm balking at some of the stuff I'm seeing and experiencing here, especially so when held up to its peers on the same systems. Its an embarrasment.

But even despite all this, when the game works, its great. I should just take the refund and come back in a year when I hopefully have a PS5. But I don't have anything else exciting on the entertainment front to look forward to over winter, and I'm far enough into the game to really want to see where it goes. Its can be a very rough experience and the bugs really hurt the immersion sometimes, but when it shines you can overlook all that and get caught up in the amazing location of Night City and its stories. Its testament to the art, story and game design that even with all this crap its a world I want to return to. I'm going to try and drag it out as long as possible and maybe a patch or two will come out in the meantime, otherwise I'll be having another playthrough with the improvements. I'm most excited for DLC story content where hopefully I'll have next-gen by then and can appreciate Night City in all its glory.

PS Thanks @gooner4life for the refund info

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

It won't mean anything in actuality, Sony aren't going to remove it from PSN until it's in a better state, but a smaller studio probably would see more severe consequences (but they probably also wouldn't be granted the waivers in the first place ;)) 

Haha! Sure, Jan. Sony allowed the game in this video on psn. 

This game really has its hooks into me, if you're on a system where it works properly* it's fantastic. It's the new Crysis, in a way, isn't it? 

*That seems to be only XS consoles and some PCs. I haven't had a single crash on series x so there's something they've done on that system that isn't working right elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why the need to craft ammo? I've never run out and there's literally boxes of it everywhere!

Same, are people making sure to hoover up white cubes in the environments? Hit scan once to reveal everything pickable-uppable in your field of vision. Also you get ammo off every enemy when you pick up their weapon don't you? I've never had a problem so far except for my SMG which burns though hundreds of rounds a minute and even then I got ammo off the next enemy I killed.

7 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Haha! Sure, Jan. Sony allowed the game in this video on psn. 

I mean Cert isn't quality control, it's meeting very specific requirements for the game to launch on the platform. That game isn't broken it's just shit, sadly you can't fail Cert for being shit. :P

Have they actually come out and said anything about the HDR implementation? It really is piss poor. Just like Red Dead Redemption 2 on launch, it shows a complete misunderstanding of what HDR actually is. It just seems like they've made everything brighter rather than actually increase the, you know, dynamic range, so the dark bits look too bright and washed out.

If anyone wants a really good car really easy and for free do this. You need to have done the initial "revenge" quest with Panam first

Spoiler

Go back to the caves where you drove in and had the fight (A little bit ne of the motel). Part way along is a very nice car in a crate. Just drive off with it and it's yours to keep. You'll see it when you get close with the car icon.

Really enjoying this so far - just got to Act 2, playing on a reasonably good PC.

But I think I'm going to leave it there for a few months... I've seen dozens of glitches so far (no crashes yet though), and I do think it will be worth the wait to experience the rest of the game when it's in a better state.

10 minutes ago, choddo said:

Think I'm heading for a serious back problem. Absolute comedy inventory.

image.thumb.png.e0ea2fe1c7b6c9003d0356b28673ecff.png

See, when I did *that* heist mission, on the way out I was taking people down silently and stealing their guns, but they did not appear in my inventory when I hit triangle. Probably because of the 'No Iron' rule. So when we hit trouble and I hit triangle...nothing. Bare hands. One of them looking like a mutant pig because the rigging is b0rked, remember>

So I had to punch a couple of guys with guns to the floor, and equip their weapons directly from the floor instead of just picking them up. THEN I could shoot people inna face.

BUT! When I stepped out of the cab at the end, ALL the guns I had picked up reappeared in my inventory all at once. Causing me to immediately slow to a crawl for no apparent reason.

On 11/12/2020 at 08:04, Hass said:

Most people being those on last gen consoles, yes:

"It may be hard to believe, but the Google Stadia version of Cyberpunk 2077 may be the best way to play for most players right now. Unless you have a 20 or 30 Series Nvidia GPU or comparable AMD card or you were lucky enough to get a PS5 or Xbox Series X / S"

4 hours ago, Pockets said:

I’m a pretty fussy gamer and won’t play sub 60fps games anymore but even I wonder what people with PS4s expected. Maybe I’m old but I remember my mate buying SFII for his Spectrum. We did not throw tantrums when it wasn’t as good as the SNES version, which also, we accepted wasn’t arcade perfect. 

I do understand people with 3090s complaining about things not working properly and they have a right to expect a certain level of performance, but on PS4 you’re getting the Master System version basically. 

Ha, what a load of bollocks. If CDPR came out before the game was released and said that PS4/XBOX Owners should expect a frame rate running in single digits, missing visual effects, stutters etc. then that’s pretty bad, but at least they were warned. Games on PS4 and Xbox One have generally performed pretty well and in some cases exceptionally well & beyond what anyone believed they were capable of - so it’s a bit rich to tell those players their console is shit when they’re paying the same price as everyone else, they are not less entitled just because they can’t afford to play it on a high end PC or a next gen console. 

I’m not even that bothered about bugs and frame rate as I know from past experiences they’ll fix it, but the UI - CDPR are fucking awful at them. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ha, what a load of bollocks. If CDPR came out before the game was released and said that PS4/XBOX Owners should expect a frame rate running in single digits, missing visual effects, stutters etc. then that’s pretty bad, but at least they were warned. Games on PS4 and Xbox One have generally performed pretty well and in some cases exceptionally well & beyond what anyone believed they were capable of - so it’s a bit rich to tell those players their console is shit when they’re paying the same price as everyone else, they are not less entitled just because they can’t afford to play it on a high end PC or a next gen console. 

I’m not even that bothered about bugs and frame rate as I know from past experiences they’ll fix it, but the UI - CDPR are fucking awful at them. 

This is the issue. They didn't allow any footage of the console game to be shown anyway before launch. They absolutely should offer refunds. I expect many won't and that is what CDPR were counting on. Sure it's only a £45 videogame but it should work as expected and at least offer a playable experience. 

Review embargos said it all for me. Any game that does this I just avoid these days. Happy to wait it out. Once again glad I have..... Old and cynical person that I am! :D 

I think the problem when you have a game in this state is that I'm not sure if the game is putting me in a certain situation on purpose or if it's just fucked up. For example, early on in Act 2 (I think) 

Spoiler

I go to Clouds to find somebody, I get told I have to go to Mr Woodman or Foresters office (something to do with Trees cos the sexbot tried to make a joke about it) and when I go there it says that I'm not levelled up enough to break into the office. Well I was just going to have a chat with him - not smash his fucking door down, but next thing you know the place is on lockdown and everybody is pulling shooters and swords. I eventually die after smacking up fools for a while, but then I respawn locked in the club, not levelled up enough to do anything.

Usually I need to work around this problem, like it's a game puzzle because its a videogame, but with this I just reloaded an earlier save and went driving around the city instead.

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags