Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Vemsie

I’ve spent the last two days off giving Cyberpunk a go and tbh, I think I’m going to abandon it until it’s patched, significantly. Depending on what games are out by then I may never go back to it which is a huge disappointment.

I’m not that far into it, maybe haven’t given it enough of a chance, but I have found it be overwhelming and boring.  The menu’s are horrendous. The loot, crafting systems are unnecessarily complicated and the perks seem pointlessly massive imo.

The driving is terrible. Having to drive any distance feels like a chore. Combat is fine but nothing to get excited about.  The game chucks items, loot, guns and missions at you almost to the point it renders it all meaningless. I did quite a fun mission for Delamaine which required me to drive to most of the other areas. It was ruined as my phone never stopped ringing. I now have 40 missions because all these fixers I don’t know, but the game seems to be telling me I do, were bombarding me with calls and messages.

NightCity, rather than a vibrant area feels dead. Npc’s basically don’t need to exist. There is next to no interaction that I can see. Gangs feel the same way. Statically standing around waiting for some reason for me to fight them. The whole game doesn’t feel like an RPG. You’re parachuted into V’s story and expected to be instantly invested in it and all these characters. Tbh, I think V is a bit of a dick.

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting from Cyberpunk but it wasn’t this.  I’m glad a lot of you are enjoying it. I would say RPG’s are my favourite genre of game so I had really high hopes for Cyberpunk and I went in knowing basically nothing. Definitely disappointed.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Anyone else found this car yet?

50724736057_56e9755c34_h.jpg

It's called a Caliburn. If you have the Widow Maker Rifle, go back to where you got it ... at least, I think it's the same place as that. Fastest car I have driven in the game yet. 

I posted that days back! :p 

That's why when you were complaining about speed (not sky colours) I could confidently talk about travelling over 200mph in the game. It's a beast.

10 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

And in game without photo mode:

6A235892-EA7F-4951-ADBB-9DE2D0996932.thumb.png.a8f1870b656088aaef7cd90d22dbe23b.png

Honestly my eyes were drawn instantly to the glowing pacman pill, and I just know it rotates all the way around the screen when you move slightly. Can't wait for them to give the option to hide it, then I'll play.

3 minutes ago, Purin said:

Honestly my eyes were drawn instantly to the glowing pacman pill, and I just know it rotates all the way around the screen when you move slightly. Can't wait for them to give the option to hide it, then I'll play.

The exclamation mark for the mission? You can toggle it on and off

1 minute ago, Kryptonian said:

The exclamation mark for the mission? You can toggle it on and off

Are you sure? I disabled all interface options yesterday in the menus and it was still there, ditto the little red image of your character in bottom right. 

25 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Is this true? There's no driver an pedestrian AI?

Sure it’s true: they’re billboards.

I posted the pedestrian example and was told that game analysis by twitter rather than marketing campaign was...

8 minutes ago, partious said:

The discussion around this game really fits into the wider issue with AAA gaming where everything has to be either the best game ever or the most disgraceful piece of trash ever released.

If you're enjoying it then great! Other people are merely pointing bugs and design problems that do not exist in other AAA games of a similar nature, and the fact that CDPR have managed to get away with releasing what they knew to be a game that was unfinished and quite broken in places. Unfortunately, your statement above is a gross misrepresentation of that discussion.

I recently played Watch Dogs and though I'd never describe it as a groundbreaking game that was the best thing ever, it managed to include a reasonable level of AI driving (up to and including random car accidents and police cars trying to ram you off the road [but no NPCs riding motorbikes to be fair]). Is it so unfair to point out a lack of driving AI (amongst other missing things) in this game?

Decided to try the monofillament , was dissapointed and have gone back to the Mantis Blades. But I have a really nice Katana now, the two seem to do then same job so Im a bit torn :(  Despite lower damage numbers though the Mantis seem to be more effective or am i imagining it ? 

24 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

If you're enjoying it then great! Other people are merely pointing bugs and design problems that do not exist in other AAA games of a similar nature, and the fact that CDPR have managed to get away with releasing what they knew to be a game that was unfinished and quite broken in places. 

I recently played Watch Dogs and though I'd never describe it as a groundbreaking game that was the best thing ever, it managed to include a reasonable level of AI driving (up to and including random car accidents and police cars trying to ram you off the road [but no NPCs riding motorbikes to be fair]). Is it so unfair to point out a lack of driving AI (amongst other missing things) in this game?

While certainly not unfair to point out the hollow ai, I think it's also fair to point out that the developer has a history of making games with beautiful but somewhat superficial open worlds and hollow npc ai. Games that managed to be widely praised for what they did well instead of nitpicked to death for things they didn't do as well as a superficially similar but actually rather different game like Watch Dogs (I'm sure I could think of a few things cyberpunk does better than Watch Dogs, due to the different focus of the two games).

I could write a rant about how Witcher 3 is trash because of all the things you can interact with/do in Breath of The Wild that you can't do in Witcher 3.

I could also write the opposite rant.

The truth is they're both excellent games, superficially similar but with a very different focus.

(As an aside, I found BOTW's wii u performance at launch worse than I've found Cyberpunk's on base PS4.)

Maybe I'm wrong and Witcher 3 (where most of their reputation comes from) is renowned for its highly interactive environment, ability to have meaningful interactions and discussions with minor npcs who go about amazingly detailed daily routines etc.

For me the appeal of cdpr games was the strength of the worldbuilding/story/characters/sidequests compared to other games I've played and I've been satisfied with Cyberpunk in those areas.

So no, it's not unfair to expect things but you should probably consider a studio's previous games before you set your expectations. 

13 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I’m in full-on kleptomaniac mode in this game. Years of Diablo, Fallout and Elder Scrolls have affected my OCD to the point that I’ll dive through a rain of bullets in a middle of a gunfight to grab some junky item I don’t need! I finished the heist with about 30 guns and a shit load of booze!

I'm finding I play the opposite to my usual type. Deus Ex? I was pretty much a pacifist ghost ninja. This? I've built a pistol with a sweet sight and silenced muzzle and a critical hit chance that pops heads from stealth, to be followed up by a tech shottie that melts faces when charged up, for when shit gets noisy.

And frag grenades. Lots of frag grenades. And the perk that makes you immune to your own grenade damage.

Although you can still find yourself on the receiving end of a grenade thrown by the bad guys - had one side mission that ended in an ambush by the Tygers; bastards had a ton of grenades and were using smart weapons with homing bullets! Seeing a grenade land at your feet then getting blocked in by scenery is a pain.

Though the NPC stuff is laughable and should be better (and clearly a result of Not Enough Time(tm)), I do find it curious that people were expecting a GTA-type game. 

I mean I get that it (superficially) looks like one, but for some reason my expectations were in check. 

To be fair though, I got bored of rampaging on innocent civs back in the Vice City / San Andreas days, so I generally treat them as window dressing to ignore in most open world things. 

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

I posted that days back! :p 

That's why when you were complaining about speed (not sky colours) I could confidently talk about travelling over 200mph in the game. It's a beast.

Nope. The number gets bigger, but you're not travelling any faster after a certain point. The Caliburn does have mad acceleration, but you are absolutely not travelling at 200mph (I managed to get the number to 209), I reckon the actual top speed of all vehicles is no more than 100mph, tops.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nope. The number gets bigger, but you're not travelling any faster after a certain point. The Caliburn does have mad acceleration, but you are absolutely not travelling at 200mph (I managed to get the number to 209), I reckon the actual top speed of all vehicles is no more than 100mph, tops.

I know. I meant it in the way that as it's probably the fastest car, the pedometer tells you you're doing over 200mph which most don't, ergo I can confidently talk about travelling over 200mph in game (even if you're not actually travelling at that speed)

43 minutes ago, partious said:

While certainly not unfair to point out the hollow ai, I think it's also fair to point out that the developer has a history of making games with beautiful but somewhat superficial open worlds and hollow npc ai. Games that managed to be widely praised for what they did well instead of nitpicked to death for things they didn't do as well as a superficially similar but actually rather different game like Watch Dogs (I'm sure I could think of a few things cyberpunk does better than Watch Dogs, due to the different focus of the two games).

I can simultaneously enjoy playing the game for what it is, while seeing that it's a veneer. It's like complaining that the monsters in Doom don't have complex internal lives when they're not on screen.

The cops thing is a bit weird though.

When thinking about Cyberpunk and the critiques I have I realised a lot of them could also have applied to the Witcher 3. I don’t know though. In the Witcher it felt like your story was a narrative thread in that of a wide world story. Yes the world had the same limitations with npc’s etc but they were all smaller areas.

In this it seems there is the same complex narrative but with a massive open world bolted on. I find that really jarring.

I accept my own expectations probably play a significant part in my disappointment. I played the Witcher 3 years ago however and was hoping for an increased level of immersion from this.  Fallout New Vegas is 10 years old and has much more engaging faction interaction than this.

I think what's bringing it down a bit more for me is the backlash from the relentless hype the game has gotten for years now. They've made some huge promises and they've reaped the rewards with 8 million pre orders. But if you're going to benefit from that you should also be criticised for it. And so I see a lot of comments along the lines of "well what do you expect from CDPR. This is like the Witcher 3 and you loved that game." But my expectations for TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077 were very different.