Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

The patch sizes for this game on PS4 ARE a joke. I bought the disc and I must be approaching 100gb of patches downloaded at this stage when you add them together, with more on the way obviously. I had to delete a bunch of games from my ps4 for the huge size of the initial install and then more again because of how much free space the patches need to download/install.

That said, if you're posting about various experience ruining bugs in 2020, you should probably mention that you're playing the unpatched version of a game that's had about 5 giant patches released.

While my PS4 experience hasn't been anything like as bad as the reporting etc would lead one to believe, I regret not buying it on PC. I feel like I was led astray by the pc/digital foundry "anything that isn't 4k, 120fps and ray tracing ultra is garbage" crowd talking about their rtx 3080s and upgrading from a 1080ti for this etc before release. 

Made me think that my pc wouldn't have run it at all at 1080p (overclocked i7 and overclocked gtx 780ti), despite the pc never having an issue with any other game at 1080p, but now that I can check youtube videos I see that even on my outdated hardware, it clearly runs and looks better than the ps4/xbox one versions. 

Another reason I regret not getting the GOG version is because the Japanese console release is heavily censored.

There’s this weird contrast in this between the city, which just looks sensational, and the pedestrians, who hobble about like Ian Brown after a head injury, and are all dressed in bizarre nineties fetish clothes. I can see the vibe they’re going for, but I can’t help but be reminded of this:B55CEBA0-ABA7-4E95-91B2-098E689E7A81.thumb.jpeg.d376134e24d1d599551b87fd08afe213.jpeg

It doesn’t help when I come across a street musician who appears to be playing an invisible guitar, and I can’t tell whether they’re meant to be some kind of augmented cyber-minstrel, or whether the guitar model just hasn’t loaded. 

That said, I’m enjoying the nineties vibe. The developers seem to have deliberately cultivated the aesthetic of the RPG, rather than that of William Gibson’s books and haven’t gone for the more contemporary cyberpunk look that you see in (say) Neill Blomkamp’s films. An unusual choice but one I kind of admire - I used to play the RPG when I was a teenager. Unfortunately, I couldn’t recreate my character from back then, Warsaw Komakino, but even when the game is a bit wonky, I’m still being pushed on by the knowledge that this would have blown my mind if I could have played it when I was 14. Admittedly, the most basic F2P iPhone game would have blown my mind when I was 14, so it’s not the highest bar for a game to clear, but it’s still a lot of fun to see Night City recreated to an absurd level of fidelity. 

1 hour ago, K said:

There’s this weird contrast in this between the city, which just looks sensational, and the pedestrians, who hobble about like Ian Brown after a head injury, and are all dressed in bizarre nineties fetish clothes. I can see the vibe they’re going for, but I can’t help but be reminded of this:B55CEBA0-ABA7-4E95-91B2-098E689E7A81.thumb.jpeg.d376134e24d1d599551b87fd08afe213.jpeg

It doesn’t help when I come across a street musician who appears to be playing an invisible guitar, and I can’t tell whether they’re meant to be some kind of augmented cyber-minstrel, or whether the guitar model just hasn’t loaded. 

That said, I’m enjoying the nineties vibe. The developers seem to have deliberately cultivated the aesthetic of the RPG, rather than that of William Gibson’s books and haven’t gone for the more contemporary cyberpunk look that you see in (say) Neill Blomkamp’s films. An unusual choice but one I kind of admire - I used to play the RPG when I was a teenager. Unfortunately, I couldn’t recreate my character from back then, Warsaw Komakino, but even when the game is a bit wonky, I’m still being pushed on by the knowledge that this would have blown my mind if I could have played it when I was 14. Admittedly, the most basic F2P iPhone game would have blown my mind when I was 14, so it’s not the highest bar for a game to clear, but it’s still a lot of fun to see Night City recreated to an absurd level of fidelity. 

I’m now hoping to find a crate of Clarkey Cat and Triple Sod on a side mission while a NPC throws up their own pelvis bone (quite possibly an actual bug). 

10 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Can’t you do it overnight? You can pause and resume can’t you on PS4? Can you still play whilst it’s downloading?

8 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

yes, yes, can also DL in rest mode

patch does appear to have improved visibility 

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

Honestly I wouldn't bother playing the game in that state. 

6 hours ago, partious said:

...That said, if you're posting about various experience ruining bugs in 2020, you should probably mention that you're playing the unpatched version of a game that's had about 5 giant patches released.

All fair comment - the PS4 is actually pretty good for managing downloads and yes, you can start a d/l overnight and leave the console in sleep mode, then pause the d/l part-way through and restart it. Better than the Switch, where you can't pause and then resume updates.

So with a bit of faffing - probably less time than that lost to game crashes so far - I should be patched up.

But I'm not bitching about the bugs - well, apart from that music one, and I think I just played a mission that may have cleared it - more amused by them.

And I do own up to playing unpatched on base PS4, honest! Hasn't stopped me sinking many, many hours into the game.

Aaaaaaand it's a moot point anyway. I put the PS4 online last night after the sound bug to check the size of the d/l, and for any system updates (4 hours to download the new system update and that failed to install) and now I have to update Cyberpunk before I can play it again.

Which is why I play unpatched games, or usually wait for the later GOTY or budget edition...

45 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I’m now hoping to find a crate of Clarkey Cat and Triple Sod on a side mission while a NPC throws up their own pelvis bone (quite possibly an actual bug). 

Slot me some yellow bentines, choom!

I actually did see someone last night wearing what looked like a nappy with a giant VR helmet on. 

Aaaaand now I can't update my PS4 - totally unrelated, I'm sure. 8.01 was fine, 8.06 won't download; gives me an SU-42481-9 error immediately. Seemed to fail first at 6:30 am this morning. 

Hnghghghgh. Off to Google, then failing that, the PS4 topic.

On 24/12/2020 at 00:10, Festoon said:

This is flippin' ridiculous.

Aye this is the most extreme, "please read me" shit show of an article that shows just how far gaming journalism has fallen over the last 10 years.

I actually prefer YouTube these days, and I am honestly not sure what that says about me. 

Plenty of people are fighting for rights, better quality of life, and more within the development industry, and I can say that with experience. 9 times out of 10 these people have no idea about the inner workings. 

These articles end up doing more harm than good. 

42 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yeah, the journalists are the real problem

If only it was as black and white with a single problem. People are kidding themselves if they think CDPR are the only studio with the culture that's been put forward to the public and ravenously pushed through 60 articles per publication, littered in between click bait CyberPunk guides and tip articles. 

The state of the launch is unacceptable indeed, but the obsession with pulling readers through by often shitting on an entire studio, yet also showing you how to get a golden pony is incredibly transparent. 

Again, one problem amongst many.

Is there any point to the alcohol in this game? I did the whole of the

Spoiler

escape from the posh hotel heist bit

drinking all the bottles of alcohol lying around on the journey down and it didn’t seem to make any difference.

My point was actually more to do with the integrity of the publications as a whole. The point about all studios was just more of a comment on the dregs of crunch culture within  the industry. So I actually agree it should be pointed out. Just not next to guides, tips and "funny bugs" videos. :)

51 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Is there any point to the alcohol in this game? I did the whole of the

Hide contents

escape from the posh hotel heist bit

drinking all the bottles of alcohol lying around on the journey down and it didn’t seem to make any difference.

Other than the incredibly annoying "drunk effect" that kicks in after just one sip*, no there's no point. I stopped drinking in the game and said no to any drinks for the rest of the game just to avoid that stupid effect.

*V is such a lightweight. 

12 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

My point was actually more to do with the integrity of the publications as a whole. The point about all studios was just more of a comment on the dregs of crunch culture within  the industry. So I actually agree it should be pointed out. Just not next to guides, tips and "funny bugs" videos. :)

That’s fair. I don’t follow it as closely as some, and I’ve probably missed a lot of nuances. 

2 hours ago, smac said:

Aaaaand now I can't update my PS4 - totally unrelated, I'm sure. 8.01 was fine, 8.06 won't download; gives me an SU-42481-9 error immediately. Seemed to fail first at 6:30 am this morning. 

Hnghghghgh. Off to Google, then failing that, the PS4 topic.

I power-cycled the PS4 (reader, he turned it off and on again*) and that fixed the system update.

So, just for you guys, I am installing the update. When I get to start playing again in (checks) 52 hours or more, I'll let you know if I see any difference. See you in 2 1/2 days.

11 minutes ago, smac said:

I power-cycled the PS4 (reader, he turned it off and on again*) and that fixed the system update.

So, just for you guys, I am installing the update. When I get to start playing again in (checks) 52 hours or more, I'll let you know if I see any difference. See you in 2 1/2 days.

Where the fuck are you ... Mars?

38 minutes ago, smac said:

Merry Christmas :)

:(

So now do y'all see why I was playing it unpatched in the first place?

<_<

Back to the Switch for now, I think. But not to play Splatoon because the PS4 will be hogging my bandwidth. Honestly, it's like the 1990s at times.

46 minutes ago, smac said:

So now do y'all see why I was playing it unpatched in the first place?

<_<

Back to the Switch for now, I think. But not to play Splatoon because the PS4 will be hogging my bandwidth. Honestly, it's like the 1990s at times.

You sure you're not in some temporal anomoly, and it's actually 1998 where you live? :lol:

Unless you actually want the patch now or are content to wait, I'd guess that uninstalling the game and reinstalling might let you play the unpatched version again.

That said, listening to advice in this thread hasn't gone brilliantly for you so far, so probably ignore this.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You sure you're not in some temporal anomoly, and it's actually 1998 where you live? :lol:

The PS4 was just released in smac's alternate universe. Ciri brought over Cyberpunk 2077 to his plane