Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Maybe it’s to put people off getting a refund and to stick with it? I opted for a refund in the end and will buy it again when the series x/s patch comes out to do the different paths & endings. I’ve not really played Witcher 3 (done the tutorial I think) so might sink some time into that until then :)

I'm absolutely loving this and some events have been different in my new playthrough but yes I do feel that if I had played this in a year it would be a much better, less buggy experience, there is an amazing game in here underneath all the jank. I don't regret it though it's just what I needed for my xmas time off.

A particular ending spoiler...

Spoiler

On my second play I've unlocked the secret ending, but at lvl 30 I'm too underpowered. I get ruined in the Arasaka hallways. Reckon I'll need to be level 40 before attempting it.

That being said - the "open world" part of the game with respect to the gameplay depth of it is definitely the weakest part - its just window dressing for the actual content which is the missions and this video appears to be entirely fair and enlightening about some of the cheap and crappy smoke and mirrors used. Says a lot that that the missions and characters meant I genuinely didn't notice a tonne of these things

I've finished the game once and these are my thought:

Art direction is wonderful. The abandoned and decayed outskirts of the city feels like a mix between Rage and Borderlands 2, and there were many times where I've pondered if that's something we will see in real life with urbanization and centralisation, and the growing gap between the haves and the have nots. Night City itself has a very Paul Verhoeven Total Recall/Robocop vibe to it, mixed in with a few drops of blade runner and . Oh, and sneaking into the Arasaka Industrial Park Warehouse was the most Metal Gear Solid thing I've played since Metal Gear Solid. Its wonderfully handcrafted and it really shows the difference between an artisan product and the stuff released by some of the other AAA studios.

At first I rolled my eyes a bit when I saw all the sexualisation that goes on in Night City, but after doing a mission where you essentially experience the death of a snuff victim then all of a sudden it became something else. I stopped seing it as CDPR trying to be edgy, but instead saw it for what it really was. A world where nothing is sacred and everything is for sale. It went from "funny" to thought provoking. I mean I found this quite scary, something that rarely happens.  The game also does a gob job in showing a possible future where corporations have more power than public institutions, and I would argue that we are heading in that direction unless the governments of the world starts to rein in the billionaires. 

I think the combat is great at harder difficulties. At first I thought guns where underwhelming, but then realized that everyone is augmented with metal limbs and metal sculls so people being bullet sponges made sense. Melee is great, and swords are awesome. Still, there are room for improvements. 

The game itself seems to be 75% shorter than The Witcher 3? I never finished TW3 because it seemed to last forever, while Cyberpunks main story is fairly short. I'm left with the impression that there is a lot of things CDPR can add to the game and that Night City has the room for much more content. There's no need for future DLC to take place in other parts of the world because Night City has room for it. 

I'd give it a 8/10 for now, while future patching and DLC can easily turn it into a 10/10.

One of my favorite characters...is that Gillian Anderson?

one.thumb.jpg.f1df29f94df3ab63f298220efec96053.jpg

and now playing as a corpo I'll do anything to impress Mademoiselle Stout.

photomode_31122020_174718.thumb.jpg.227d4235e40c36b071fefe0d5b7216d6.jpg

edit: I forgot to include what I didn't like

Spoiler

I will never, ever, ever forgive studios for including reoccurring non playable scenes in games. Yes I'm talking about the scenes where the protagonist coughs blood and falls to the floor and passes out. I hate that type of stuff. I hated it in Dying Light and I hated it in Cyberpunk2077. Why? WHY? Just stop it!!

I also just finished it with 100 hours on the clock. Got quite a few side gigs to do and cars to buy but I'm going to leave that for the patch.

What an achievement this game is.

Yes, it doesn't really have the systems or emergent gamplay of a proper sandbox game (the wanted system is a joke), but the city itself is by far the best bit of world design I've ever seen in a game.

Somehow managed to get what I think is the 'best' ending first time:

Spoiler

Ended up leaving with Panam and the other nomads, taking Judy with me. Probably only have six months to live. That all felt fair.

Going to try the other endings later.

5 hours ago, Uzi said:

I got a gig to find who was producing BD's involving kids...I won't say more. A father who had lost their kid in one hired me via a fixer and essentially you find the place and find a sick father/son combo who are editing and producing them. When you are there and get the BD - you have the full freedom to blow their brains out because of what they have done. I thought justice was in order - so out came the shotgun and went onto the son - the BD producing father actually reacts to this and crys out in pain at witnessing his son being taken out before putting him out of his misery too. 

I killed the dad, even after all his pleading. The son breaks down crying and mourning the loss of his father. I felt like a cunt. Then I read some of the data spikes laying around and felt completely vindicated; the old man is an absolute monster.

There are many, many instances in the game where it does this to you. It may have many issues (as you and everybody else says) but the work that has gone into NC and its inhabitants (and I don't mean the meat that shuffles along the streets doing nowt) is amazing. Like the ex cop whose life takes a dive when his best friend dies. Your choices mean quite a lot in that one too.

There's a choice you make early on in the game which has an almost immediate impact, but also affects the ending. Spoilers, obviously.

Spoiler

Where you tell Delamain to send Jackie's corpse. 

On my first play I thought his mother shouldn't see him like that, so sent him to Viktor to clean him up. But if you do that, Arasaka swoop in and take Jackie's body. This means that Mama Welles never gets to give her son a send off, and she's quite resentful of you. Misty is okay with you though. However, at the end, you can then encounter Jackie's engram, or a kind of engram. Turns out Arasaka took what they could from Jackie's brain to "question" him after death. You get to speak to Jackie, by he's not an engram like Johnny, or Alt, just a glimpse of who he used to be. :(

Of course, if you send Jackie to Mama Welles, you get the proper send off at the El Coyote Cojo bar, and the option to reconcile things between Misty and Mama Welles, this includes a touching scene with Misty as you both go through Jackie's things looking for an item of remembrance. 

I'm not going to watch 46 minutes of some "lazy devs" YouTube cunt, but suffice to say: every open world game on current hardware leans heavily on smoke and mirrors. The sole objective of the 'ambient NPCs' stuff in 2077 is to make the game feel like you're in a city populated with millions of people. Mission accomplished. Yeah no shit they don't all follow full daily routines. It's no better or worse than any open world game with essentially zero persistence - so any Ubi or Bethesda or Mafia game for a start.

RDR2 is an exception because it BRUTALLY limits the number of things it has to keep track of and simulate in a given area and because it had $500m+ spent on building content within those confines. Ahhhh but in Cyberpunk you can't get fat from eating junk food like in GTA:SA! Yeah, all that stuff is a distraction from having hit the hard limits of what can be persistently simulated on the hardware two games ago.

ANYWAY. Had a weird issue earlier. The 'system reset' quickhack says that it's nonlethal, but I used it to take down a cyberpsycho and still got the 'lethal' job closing dialogue? Annoying as I was trying to do the whole set non-lethally. Bug or something I'm not understanding with how it works?

Think I had the same. Maybe if you're mostly implants, the effect is worse?

I found the 'Pax' weapons mod, so my headshots can be non-lethal. And a stun baton that does 1K non-lethal dps.

I did notice that the update has changed the lethal/non-lethal keys on holding a bad guy. I wonder if they were mislabelled before and I've just been snapping necks on my 'non-lethal' stealth runs.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

There's a choice you make early on in the game which has an almost immediate impact, but also affects the ending. Spoilers, obviously.

Reveal hidden contents

Where you tell Delamain to send Jackie's corpse. 

On my first play I thought his mother shouldn't see him like that, so sent him to Viktor to clean him up. But if you do that, Arasaka swoop in and take Jackie's body. This means that Mama Welles never gets to give her son a send off, and she's quite resentful of you. Misty is okay with you though. However, at the end, you can then encounter Jackie's engram, or a kind of engram. Turns out Arasaka took what they could from Jackie's brain to "question" him after death. You get to speak to Jackie, by he's not an engram like Johnny, or Alt, just a glimpse of who he used to be. :(

Of course, if you send Jackie to Mama Welles, you get the proper send off at the El Coyote Cojo bar, and the option to reconcile things between Misty and Mama Welles, this includes a touching scene with Misty as you both go through Jackie's things looking for an item of remembrance. 

If you do nothing, you still 

Spoiler

get the send off, and remembrance; Delamain takes the liberty of sending Jackie to his family. Nice touch.

2 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

I'm not going to watch 46 minutes of some "lazy devs" YouTube cunt, but suffice to say: every open world game on current hardware leans heavily on smoke and mirrors. The sole objective of the 'ambient NPCs' stuff in 2077 is to make the game feel like you're in a city populated with millions of people. Mission accomplished. Yeah no shit they don't all follow full daily routines. It's no better or worse than any open world game with essentially zero persistence - so any Ubi or Bethesda or Mafia game for a start.

RDR2 is an exception because it BRUTALLY limits the number of things it has to keep track of and simulate in a given area and because it had $500m+ spent on building content within those confines. Ahhhh but in Cyberpunk you can't get fat from eating junk food like in GTA:SA! Yeah, all that stuff is a distraction from having hit the hard limits of what can be persistently simulated on the hardware two games ago.

Of course any game system is smoke and mirrors, but the world of cyberpunk feels paper thin compared to others. 

You’re right they’re trying to simulate a city of millions, but no one asked them to, that was their choice and I would say they failed in their aim to make the city feel like a living place. 

22 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Of course any game system is smoke and mirrors, but the world of cyberpunk feels paper thin compared to others. 

You’re right they’re trying to simulate a city of millions, but no one asked them to, that was their choice and I would say they failed in their aim to make the city feel like a living place. 

Hard disagree. This feels like a living city to me, far moreso than Los Santos in GTA V, which is the closest comparison I can think of.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hard disagree. This feels like a living city to me, far moreso than Los Santos in GTA V, which is the closest comparison I can think of.

Having travelled to Oxford Street in the last few days you could be right on second thoughts. 

3 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

ANYWAY. Had a weird issue earlier. The 'system reset' quickhack says that it's nonlethal, but I used it to take down a cyberpsycho and still got the 'lethal' job closing dialogue? Annoying as I was trying to do the whole set non-lethally. Bug or something I'm not understanding with how it works?

Weird, I've been massacring them with normal weapons and they've not died yet.

59 minutes ago, choddo said:

Weird, I've been massacring them with normal weapons and they've not died yet.

There is an optical implant which makes all weapons non-lethal. People may have that equipped

Or you're just shooting their limbs. You can incapacitate anyone just by shooting their legs. For the Cyberpsychos this does mean shooting their legs repeatedly, but I now use the System Reset quickhack to deal with them. I've only got two of the CPs left now. 

4 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Respectful disagree. There are places where it just clicks and feels so vibrant. Walking along the waterfront, or that roundabout with the quickhack shop in the middle, there's just so many layers of activity going on. Peds, traffic, AVs and airships. The massive amount of motion capture and ambient dialogue helps a lot too. 100+ hours in and I've just found out there are different types of buskers.

Just now, MK-1601 said:

Respectful disagree. There are places where it just clicks and feels so vibrant. Walking along the waterfront, or that roundabout with the quickhack shop in the middle, there's just so many layers of activity going on. Peds, traffic, AVs and airships. The massive amount of motion capture and ambient dialogue helps a lot too. 100+ hours in and I've just found out there are different types of buskers.

That’s fair enough, it is subjective of course. I’m enjoying the game, mainly thanks to the story, but I’m pulled out of the experience quite often due to the depth of the simulation. 

But I’m glad people are enjoying it, it has a lot going for it for sure

I have to ask, and this isn't just for you @dr_manhattan^, but everyone who feels the open world is paper thin ... I know the game is full of smoke and mirrors, I've actually used that exact phrase myself earlier in this thread, but where the smoke and mirrors work (mostly*) for me, they clearly don't for you and many others, so my question is, what is it you were expecting the game to simulate that it does not?

*Where it completely falls down in this particular department for me is the police, and how they just teleport in en masse, but run around the corner and they forget about you. It's completely absurd. And no cops in cars, no cop car chases... :(

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags