Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Vemsie

Maybe Mass Effect was a bit too specific. I actually meant just anything that isn't goblins and fuckin wizards.

Blade Runner will do nicely. Not sure about the pen and paper stuff, I never played that stuff as a kid so not even sure what that means but sure CD Projekt will pull it out the bag.

All formats?

This will be amazing. Do we have a release window?

Not as far as I know. The stream wasn't stable for me so I might have a few bits and bobs but RPS (who are going just as mad hyped about this as we are in this thread) summed up what they picked up:

EXCITING UPDATE: It’s a AAA RPG of Cyberpunk, the pen and paper RPG. It is being made by Witcher and Witcher 2 veterans. They’re saying stuff like “Advanced RPG mechanics” and “mature content”. Customisable characters, different classes. Lots of weapons. Non-linear. “Cutting edge looking game”. And also “not a game for everybody, for mature audiences.”

Cyberpunk RPG’s creator Mike Pondsmith is there, talking about it: “I love Bladerunner, I love that kind of future.” Yeah. That’s the stuff.

That's the stuff! Witcher veterans, advanced RPG mechanics, and not for everybody as a goal right from the start :D

VG24/7 has more:

CD Projekt has announced Cyberpunk, its new RPG is based on the pen and paper game Cyberpunk 2020.

cyberpunk-rpg.jpg

It’s set in a futuristic world with a degenerated society and like the tabletop game, it will be a mature RPG, set in the series’ “realistic and brutal” world. Cyberpunk designer and RPG vet Mike Pondsmith has been working on the videogame adaption with CDP for over a year, and took to the stage to talk about the game’s setting.

At the conference, CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwinski promised players that this game would have all of the hallmarks of the Witcher series with rich detail. It will be a non-linear experience with “a complex and gripping story.” Players will experience the world through their own, unique characters chosen from different classes – be they blood-thirsty mercenaries or cunning hackers – that they will equip with vast selection of cybernetic implants and deadly weapons.

As in the Witcher series, players will face morally ambiguous choices, their actions influencing events in the world at large and the fate of the individuals they encounter. “For over two decades, I’ve been proud to say that Cyberpunk’s been the gold standard of what it means to be a true cyberpunk game,” said Pondsmith. “And it’s been a huge success for me and our many fans, with over 5 million players worldwide. But over all that time we haven’t found the right team to bring our Cyberpunk world to full digital life — until now.

“CD Projekt Red is the team we’ve been hoping for. Their incredible work on The Witcher and The Witcher 2 shows that they share the same dedication and love of great games that we do at Talsorian. I’m especially stoked that they want our participation in making this game a fantastic project that will live up to everything Cyberpunk fans (old and new) have been waiting for. Trust me — this game is going to rock.”

This game will be developed by a new team at CDP RED composed of veterans from the Witcher franchise.

And GameBanshee has something to add:

At this point, Marcin started introducing the second team of CD Projekt RED, formed by Witcher series veterans, that is working on a new triple-A RPG title. They described its setting as "rich and futuristic" but also "decadent and degenerate". It's based on the 25-years old cult PnP system Cyberpunk, created by Mike Pondsmith, who is also collaborating on the title with the Polish studio. They aim to make a game that is mature, realistic and brutal, a game made "for grown-up audiences". The title will apparently feature "advanced RPG mechanics", and Marcin stressed that the team is happy to not have to build the mechanics from the ground-up, as with the Witcher titles they had to iterate on the systems and made mistakes along the way, while they have a solid foundation this time. The game will feature different customizable classes, and an arsenal of weapons, gadgets, implants and high-tech toys. No gameplay or screenshots of the title were shown, only concept art, but Marcin confirmed that the game is going to run on the company's RED Engine. As of now, no platform for the title was announced.

After the announcement Mike Pondsmith was welcomed on stage to talk about Cyberpunk, his conception of the genre. Much of what was described in cyberpunk stories is coming true, and technology changes people. He also said that, when contacted from CD Projekt, he thought they could do it after seeing the Witcher titles.

I EXCITE :omg:

A sci fi game with artwork that looks akin to that of Foss would.be.amazing.

An thats how it looks to me. Its the one artist who's had loads of covers used but never a game based around a similar artwork.

Plus the red engine is a tech marvel. Would certainly be an amazing swansong for the current gen consoles - release assumed.

This is great news - have been a fan of the Cyberpunk P&P RPG since year dot.

And don't forget how prescient the writers were back in Olden Days of this RPG's publication. Look at what's going to happen next year (according to the timeline)

In Europe, the Great Drought occurs. Portugal sells itself to avoid bankruptcy. In Spain, Andalusia becomes a desert, with thousands of displaced people. A Water war begins between Aragon and Catalonia, over control of the Ebro River. A political problem transforms into a corporate war, and only EC intervention avoids further bloodshed. The population of each region support its claims, and tensions run high.

Scottish uprising begins; the Martial Law Authority (MLA) tightens its grip, only to find resistance increasing.

Thankfully it's looking like the massive bioplague in Chicago this year isn't going to occur...

Yeep!

• 4 months later...
The cyberpunk atmosphere, well known from William Gibson's novels, the "Blade Runner" movie and the famous pen-and-paper game, "Cyberpunk 2020", will surround the player. The creators promise that "Cyberpunk 2077" will be true to the essence of the cyberpunk genre. Players will be thrown into the dark future of the year 2077 and into a world where advanced technologies have become both the salvation and the curse of humanity. A multi-thread, nonlinear story designed for mature players (a CD Projekt RED trademark) will take place in the sprawling metropolis of Night City and its surroundings. Players will have a chance to visit places well known from "Cyberpunk 2020", including a combat zone completely taken over by gangs, the legendary Afterlife joint and the nostalgic Forlorn Hope.

Freedom of action and diversity in gameplay will be delivered thanks to the sandbox nature of the game and mechanics inspired by the "Cyberpunk 2020" pen-and-paper system, fine tuned to meet the requirements of a modern RPG. Gameplay will pump adrenaline through players' veins and be consistent with the celebrated Cyberpunk spirit – rebellion, style, edge, uncertainty. And of course, a cyberpunk reality cannot be deprived of murderous steel – guns, rifles, implants, dozens of gadgets and other varied pieces of equipment needed to survive on the streets of Night City. The developers are focused on making the technology of 2077 credible and exciting.

Source: Kotaku

Official website:

http://cyberpunk.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8GVUPr2to4&sns=tw

I guess GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas are 'sandbox' then, and GTA 4 'open world'? :P

Anyway, I don't know if you're being serious but I very much doubt that it will be a GTA/Saint's Row-like experience. The smart money is on a typical CD Projekt RED RPG experience only this time in a huge open world environment. Since the areas in both Witcher games can be pretty huge, you can sorta guess what to expect - the same quality RPG'ing on a much grander scale and in a cyberpunk exterior :D

I wonder if they actually mean 'sandbox' or they just mean 'open world'...

Probably neither. Unfortunatelly they don't do open world. W2, for all its brilliance, was too confined. And it certainly wasn't sandbox. I think they just mean that the story will have multiple paths (hopefully they mean true sandbox though).

But this has a chance to change all that. You can't have the game take place in a city and have the city small and confined. They need freedom, they need highways, they need NPCs.

But they don't need that art which is, frankly, a complete turn off when you put it next to their influence of Blade Runner. :P

What's the difference, pray tell?

I'd guess 'variety in game play actions', which then makes it a bit subjective.

Would you call GTA4 open world Or sandbox?

Open world is something like the LA Noire or Mafia series, basically the 'open world' is just a damn large level select with nothing to do. I guess GTA and RDR ride the line between the two. And something like Just Cause 2 or Red Faction are more of a sandbox because of the options the world gives you? I'm struggling to think of a proper 'sandbox game'. Perhaps Garry's Mod?

Anyway, I don't think having an open world means having a sandbox (where you can make changes to the open world).

Open world is something like the LA Noire or Mafia series, basically the 'open world' is just a damn large level select with nothing to do. I guess GTA and RDR ride the line between the two. And something like Just Cause 2 or Red Faction are more of a sandbox because of the options the world gives you? I'm struggling to think of a proper 'sandbox game'. Perhaps Garry's Mod?

Anyway, I don't think having an open world means having a sandbox (where you can make changes to the open world).

That's kind of what I was getting at.. wtf is a sandbox game? What does that term even mean?

In this context it sounds promising, I reckon. Should mean a big map, with lots of eventualities and consequences :)