Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

2 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

The lighting is amazingly good. When I first got there (and could roam around after the plot bits), it was early evening after a rain shower, it was exactly like the seafront/beach where I grew up. When you see places like that, and the desert, and the maelstrom Chemical Plant Zone, you can really see that they've taken their time over tweaking the lighting, they've not just set up a global day/night cycle and called it a, uh, day.

Yeah, it’s very impressive. I arrived in Pacifica at midday, and it perfectly captured that feeling of being in a 1960s shopping centre or university building, and seeing the light flooding into some dusty mezzanine floor. 

59 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I love this game.  50 hours in tying up a few bits before the point of no return, I thought I'd seen all the bugs Night City had to offer, but I've just had my favourite one yet.  I rang Rogue for a natter, call went as normal, then POW!  She appeared out of thin air right next to me, on an invisible sofa atop some glass balcony edging, just shooting the shit with me like we were still on the phone.  This game truly keeps on giving :D

rogue.thumb.png.5f106475e20a5338418fdd14ca041d35.png

Ha, I've had that as well. 

5 hours ago, choddo said:

Jesus wept, the Animal boxing champ. I've never had so much shit kicked out of me.

I ended up only completing it by going in there for another side mission and basically shooting some fuckers legit. Wasn't expecting it to be linked, but I then got a message afterwards from coach asking if I was ok.

I did that as well. She took about 20 sniper shots to the head as well the fucker.

I just can't reconcile in my head the cognitive dissonance between what I thought these guys were in my head (based on how much I just completely adored their work) and the current public perception of them as a caricature bad guy from a videogame (not made by CDPR because their bad guys are actually quite deep). 

I look at this video and see a tired and honest dude who just coming out of the worse year ever, probably had the worse Christmas ever. I want to believe they just made an honest mistake based on a misjudgement of where the final product would end up. 

4 minutes ago, Fused gamer said:

The video makes me sad. I think this is probably one of the finest games ever made. Yeh it's got bugs, but i can overlook that as it's fucking amazing. They worked damn hard on this game, it shows.

one of the finest games ever made.

Not at the moment.

2 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

one of the finest games ever made.

Not at the moment.

Why not? This is game of the year without doubt (2020 or 2021), and that’s in it’s current state.

In terms of city / landscape / architecture / environment / whatever, it’s arguably THE finest game ever made.

Setting aside the bugs and shitty behaviour during development and in the run up to launch, it most certainly is one of the best games ever made (on PC).  Once it's been patched up, it'll rightly be considered a landmark game. Nothing has come remotely close to what this achieves in terms of coherent world building, stories and acting in a single package. 

5 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Why not? This is game of the year without doubt (2020 or 2021), and that’s in it’s current state.

In terms of city / landscape / architecture / environment / whatever, it’s arguably THE finest game ever made.

This.

6 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What a hyperbolic nonsense. It gets many things right and even more things wrong. 

First of all a game made under excessive crunch will never be THE finest game ever made (but apparently people on here have a fetish for those... see The Last of Us 2).

Furthermore:

- Story is OK but nothing special

- UI/UX of menu's is horrendous

- Shooting isn't on the level of let's say Destiny

- Driving sucks

- Obsessive sexualization of everything is unnecessary and childish

- Game feels clunky in many areas which is understandable given the 8 year development timespan (same goes for RDR 2)

So no, this is absolutely in no way the best game ever. Not even close. It doesn't even make the top 10. 

And it is also objectively not the GOTY 2020. I don't think it topped even a single GOTY list of a respectable publication. 

That said, I believe CDPR will get it from lets say a 7/10 to a 9/10 over a 1-2 year period. So for now fun is sure to be found, especially on a PC, but it is better left to ripe like a good wine and play when both hardware and development catch up to the broken promise. 

But hey, enjoy the game but shy away from hyperbole and don't generalize your personal subjective opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Once it's been patched up

We are not going to award future potential. It was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread at launch and "no way CDPR will fail to deliver since they are not Ubisoft" and yet they delivered a terribly broken and unfinished game. 

2 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

What a hyperbolic nonsense. It gets many things right and even more things wrong. 

First of all a game made under excessive crunch will never be THE finest game ever made (but apparently people on here have a fetish for those... see The Last of Us 2).

Furthermore:

- Story is OK but nothing special

- UI/UX of menu's is horrendous

- Shooting isn't on the level of let's say Destiny

- Driving sucks

- Obsessive sexualization of everything is unnecessary and childish

- Game feels clunky in many areas which is understandable given the 8 year development timespan (same goes for RDR 2)

So no, this is absolutely in no way the best game ever. Not even close. It doesn't even make the top 10. 

And it is also not the GOTY 2020. I don't think it topped even a single GOTY list of a respectable publication. 

That said, I believe CDPR will get it from a 7/10 to a 9/10 over a 1-2 year period. So for now fun is sure to be found, especially on a PC, but it is better left to ripe like a good wine and play when both hardware and development catch up to the broken promise. 

I haven't even played Cyberpunk but why on earth would you expect an open world RPG to have shooting on the level of Destiny? It's like saying the driving isn't as good as, let's say Forza Horizon. And the platforming isn't as good as, let's say, Mario. 

27 minutes ago, Oz said:

I just can't reconcile in my head the cognitive dissonance between what I thought these guys were in my head (based on how much I just completely adored their work) and the current public perception of them as a caricature bad guy from a videogame (not made by CDPR because their bad guys are actually quite deep). 

I look at this video and see a tired and honest dude who just coming out of the worse year ever, probably had the worse Christmas ever. I want to believe they just made an honest mistake based on a misjudgement of where the final product would end up. 

That would require it to not have the history that it has. It's not like it's a lasagne they took out of the oven too early. There's critical decisions made every single step of the way, for 8 years. It's incompetence on every decision making level.

The shooting is better in Destiny, but I think this has the edge in terms of a massive fucking cyberpunk city that’s ridiculously dense and full of detail that can be explored at will while you ride round on a motorbike listening to futuristic jazz. 

1 minute ago, Majora said:

I haven't even played Cyberpunk but why on earth would you expect an open world RPG to have shooting on the level of Destiny? It's like saying the driving isn't as good as, let's say Forza Horizon. And the platforming isn't as good as, let's say, Mario. 

Sure.

But stating in hyperbole that this game is the best in every area is what i meant to call out. It simply is not true.

What it truly excels in from my point of view is, in true Rockstar fashion: world building, and that is of course super important. This is also why Red Dead Redemption 2 was so praised. But the underlying gameplay mechanics fo those games are sub-par and feel clunky. So no, it doesn't get a pass from me as the best game ever. And judging on the public perception and how it has been reviewed universally I don't think that is an outlier opinion. 

7 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

We are not going to award future potential. It was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread at launch and "no way CDPR will fail to deliver since they are not Ubisoft" and yet they delivered a terribly broken and unfinished game. 

Wouldn't know.  I didn't follow its development whatsoever so I'm going off my own experience of the end result and nothing else. Let's not 'we'. 

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

That would require it to not have the history that it has. It's not like it's a lasagne they took out of the oven too early. There's critical decisions made every single step of the way, for 8 years. It's incompetence on every decision making level.

This has to be seen in another light: the whole gaming industry and in particular the big publishers get a lot of slack for many things (and rightly so). But CDPR was always hailed as the good guy in the industry that would never do those "evil things" and here we are where the way they handled this release is nothing different from what Ubisoft, Take 2, EA or Activision would do (except maybe MTX for now). I wouldn't say we are just there yet, but they are definitely not this "underdog" anymore that only acts in the gamer's best interest.

But we get back to the point: Hades and Divinity Original Sin 2 showed how you develop a game with your audience and I believe AAA games should follow their lead... many of the disasters around "big scope AAA games" in the last few years could have been largely prevented (Avengers, CyberPunk 2077, OG Destiny, Diablo III). 

"Every change and improvement needed to be tested and, as it turned out, our testing did not show a big part of the issues"

Wonderful throwing of the internal and external QA teams under the bus in that “honest” video. Absolute bullshit they weren’t aware of everything and shipped on console anyway.

Dear Gamers makes me cringe every time they use it. 

Who’s this joker @MNFRMTMRRW coming in and shitting up our nice thread with big blocks of text where he speaks in absolutes about how right he is. Ok, we get it, you are very smart and clever about games

Also utterly wrong. This is one of the best games I’ve ever played, regardless of any future potential. I think my willy would have fallen off if it had been released in the form it will doubtless evolve to in the future

37 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Setting aside the bugs and shitty behaviour during development and in the run up to launch, it most certainly is one of the best games ever made (on PC).  Once it's been patched up, it'll rightly be considered a landmark game. Nothing has come remotely close to what this achieves in terms of coherent world building, stories and acting in a single package. 

also... keanu reeves. 

I had been thinking about waiting for the next-gen patch before starting this but I'm weak and my copy is currently in the post*. Now that CDPR have said in their latest missive that they're targeting the second half of this year for the NG patch, I guess I might be ready for a replay by the time it finally appears.

Sounds like I'll have missed the worst of the problems anyway, between the imminent January patch and being fortunate enough to be playing it on PS5 rather than previous gen. Can't wait to get stuck in.

(* Though this is presumably coming via Royal Mail and their efforts locally in the last month or two suggests that it may actually be a close run thing between my parcel and the next-gen patch...)

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh good, here's that numpty from tomorrow here to shit up the thread. 

oh shit. now I started reading your post in that Russian accent. 

:facepalm:

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

What did you go for?

Spoiler

I unified the other personalities and created some fucking monstrosity. I was just trying to please keanu.