Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

God, I need to remap the buttons on this game. The number of times I've hit the damn directional button and injected myself with health for absolutely no reason is absurd.

Also, skipping dialogue because of that fucking 'b' button being used to crouch.

Honestly, if those reports of some of the salaries of the workers being $400 are true, then that's way too much for those fucking testers. So many fucking shocking, crappy farting irritations to a game that occasionally thrills me, yet continues to upset me more often than not.

19 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Got the caliburn and the bike. Good god the car is fast. And no one told me it was murdered out like KITT in all black

Yeah, not spawning the car for me; I got the container, and there was some loot In it, but no motor.

I'll just have to save my pennies, waste some scumbags to make some eddies.

13 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yeah - one thing that I don’t really get is why the coverage of this game seems to suggest it’s a garbage fire, when what I’m playing is game of the year.

Yeah, I don't get it. I've read two articles describing it's rocky launch as "bombing" now. Err? It earned back it's multi-$100m development budget in week one, it's still in the Steam top ten by revenue. Not being on the PS store will be hurting it, but it's not like it's flopped critically or commercially.

The bombing allegations are so stupid, they looked at steam players from launch until now and guess what, there are way less people playing it at the moment. So basically people have either finished the game, or they're holding off for more patches. Also the main story is waaay shorter than Witcher 3 so some folks will have played through once and will be waiting for more updates to replay it. Pure clickbait.

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

God, I need to remap the buttons on this game. The number of times I've hit the damn directional button and injected myself with health for absolutely no reason is absurd.

Also, skipping dialogue because of that fucking 'b' button being used to crouch.

Honestly, if those reports of some of the salaries of the workers being $400 are true, then that's way too much for those fucking testers. So many fucking shocking, crappy farting irritations to a game that occasionally thrills me, yet continues to upset me more often than not.

I hope you’re just in a bad mood and you don’t seriously hope that people who are already underpaid are given even less money

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I hope you’re just in a bad mood and you don’t seriously hope that people who are already underpaid are given even less money

I was, and I obviously was saying this tongue in cheek!

I have a certain amount of doubts as to whether the reports of their salary is true or not. I find Jason Schreier a fairly obnoxious pain in the arse at the best of times, but I’d like to hope there is actual proof of all this.

19 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yeah - one thing that I don’t really get is why the coverage of this game seems to suggest it’s a garbage fire, when what I’m playing is game of the year.

My experience playing it was similar to a Bethesda game so it wasn't too bad but I wouldn't have issue with that description based on it being taken off the PS store. That's pretty much unheard of for a game of this magnitude. 

1 hour ago, RaoulSilva said:

If you're in a conversation and stuck crouched, you can press and hold B to stand up. 

Ah, that's good to know :) . Thank you!

12 hours ago, Thor said:

I found the texts with Takemura hilarious. :)

I always send him bulls##t (just for you Oz) replies like 'the fox sneaks around the chickens at midnight' and you can feel the disdain and annoyance in his responses to them :D 

The devs sure do like their movie references, don't they? Someone high up in on the Dev team clearly loves Silence of the Lambs...

Spoiler

"Have the Flamingos stopped screaming, Clarice". Now, that one was obvious, but I didn't click on to the next one until now:

The River Ward side quest. The killer, Peter Pan, his real name is Anthony Harris. Hannibal Lecter was of course played by Anthony Hopkins, and The Silence of the Lambs was written by Thomas Harris. :)

Can't believe I didn't get that on my first play.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The devs sure do like their movie references, don't they? Someone high up in on the Dev team clearly loves Silence of the Lambs...

Reveal hidden contents

"Have the Flamingos stopped screaming, Clarice". Now, that one was obvious, but I didn't click on to the next one until now:

The River Ward side quest. The killer, Peter Pan, his real name is Anthony Harris. Hannibal Lecter was of course played by Anthony Hopkins, and The Silence of the Lambs was written by Thomas Harris. :)

Can't believe I didn't get that on my first play.

Yes! As well as the Batman one there’s an Ironman one I came across yesterday in another cave.

Really like the main track (V) I have started listening to it outside the game. Saw it’s a Polish dude that wrote it. Wonder if it’s someone famous or just internal music written for the game. Cool track. Parts of it could be from a nine inch nails song. 

On 16/01/2021 at 19:20, Nick R said:

In his accompanying Twitter thread, he added:

"- A few non-Polish staffers shared stories about coworkers using Polish in front of them, which violated company rules. Made them feel ostracized, they said... were their coworkers talking shit about them? Combined with crunch and low salaries, this led quite a few expats to quit"

Of all the problems he listed, that does sound like the most minor one. I've never worked abroad, but surely even if a company's official working language is English, you'd expect some occasions when co-workers might talk to each other in their native language due to familiarity, not necessarily to hide anything?

Yeah, I'm not really one for defending CDPR, but this complaint has the whiff of entitled anglophone expats about it. I work with a majority Chinese staff, and while most meetings happen in English, demanding they refrain from using Mandarin around the foreigners at all times wouldn't really be fair or particularly worthwhile. 

It’s annoying. This happened to me often with the Dutch. Particularly annoying when I would hear my name on the middle of a sentence. It’s just not “I am going to go with this one to the press” annoying. There’s whistleblowers and then there’s cock suckers. 

5 minutes ago, Quest said:

Yeah, I'm not really one for defending CDPR, but this complaint has the whiff of entitled anglophone expats about it. I work with a majority Chinese staff, and while most meetings happen in English, demanding they refrain from using Mandarin around the foreigners at all times wouldn't really be fair or particularly worthwhile. 

What often strikes me in a lot of situations is that the people complaining often make zero effort to learn the local language outside of an intro course they took years ago because "everyone speaks English"

I'm not saying that's what's happening in this situation but it's so so common and I find that pretty bad.

Spoiler

I finally did Play It Safe, aka the festival where you jack Hanako Arasaka and then try to have a chat with her. Did anyone else jump back up to Takemura after the floor fell in? Johnny was encouraging me to egress without him, but I used my mega legs to jump back up and we fought our way out together. It was a bloodbath and I feel like we bonded.  

9 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I finally did Play It Safe, aka the festival where you jack Hanako Arasaka and then try to have a chat with her. Did anyone else jump back up to Takemura after the floor fell in? Johnny was encouraging me to egress without him, but I used my mega legs to jump back up and we fought our way out together. It was a bloodbath and I feel like we bonded.  

Aye, I did that too. :)

My copy of this finally turned up yesterday. With the delay in it arriving, I had thought that I might just wait a few days for the next patch, to avoid having the experience spoiled a bit by the bugs and jankiness, as a few people have previously described. In practice, lacking any real trace of self-discipline as I do, I was of course on my way to Night City that same evening.

I'm only 3-4 hours in so far, if you discount the messing about in the character creation and options screens, but this is really quite splendid, isn't it? Once the terrible default HDR options are sorted, it's an incredible visual experience - in many ways the perfect showcase for HDR, all dingy alleyways and dazzling neon. It feels incredibly reminiscent of my experiences with the original Deus Ex, which I didn't think was something I was ever likely to experience, not least because my recollections of DE are about 75% sepia-tinged nostalgia by now.

Negatives so far: one crash, stupid ever-present waypoint marker, some slightly confusing experiences with the cops, and those awful default options (both HDR and control sensitivities*). I love everything else, and from what I've read this is still the underwhelming opening section?

(* Following these tips improved things enormously, I found: HDR and controls.)

Yeah, the whole cop thing is totally broken - you can get yourself a four star rating sniping pedestrians from the roofs of the Japan Town pagodas in the market by the statue  and you won’t see a single cop, or you can shoot a motorist in Biotechnica (the middle of nowhere) and they will be all over you.

To be honest you don’t really encounter them unless you do stupid stuff like the above, so it’s not really an issue.

16 hours ago, Simmy said:

What often strikes me in a lot of situations is that the people complaining often make zero effort to learn the local language outside of an intro course they took years ago because "everyone speaks English"

I'm not saying that's what's happening in this situation but it's so so common and I find that pretty bad.

Related to this, you can tell there's been a lot of native English speakers working on this, the use of English is almost perfect. I think I've seen maybe 2 or 3 typos / dialogue mismatches in 130 hours.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yeah, the whole cop thing is totally broken - you can get yourself a four star rating sniping pedestrians from the roofs of the Japan Town pagodas in the market by the statue  and you won’t see a single cop, or you can shoot a motorist in Biotechnica (the middle of nowhere) and they will be all over you.

To be honest you don’t really encounter them unless you do stupid stuff like the above, so it’s not really an issue.

My problems have been more them getting very riled by me doing pretty innocuous things. For example, on the first job with the ripperdoc, right outside there's that

Spoiler

really cool scene with the cops replaying a hologram of a crime that occurred

so I was standing admiring that for a while, and suddenly they're pulling guns on me. Also, I eliminated a bounty nearby, which I thought was fair game, and shortly afterwards I was in trouble again, though perhaps this was because I hadn't put my gun away quickly enough.

Conversely, I came across a scrap going on between the police and some gang, waded into the middle of it and killed half the gang, and the police were absolutely fine with this flagrant vigilantism occurring immediately in front of them.

I'm just keeping my distance now.