Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

There are loads of typos in the subtitles. And the drop point machines have "Devilery" instead of "Delivery" on their screens.

The 'live translation of subtitles' thing is brilliant though, and cool that it works for all the languages the game is localised into.

Do the random crimes / skirmishes level up with your character? I'm close to the level cap and there's been a noticable jump in the size of random scuffles. Wandered into a pitched battle (with trucks, robots, drones etc.) between two corps last night, like something out of Syndicate. Fucking wild.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Yeah, the whole cop thing is totally broken - you can get yourself a four star rating sniping pedestrians from the roofs of the Japan Town pagodas in the market by the statue  and you won’t see a single cop, or you can shoot a motorist in Biotechnica (the middle of nowhere) and they will be all over you.

To be honest you don’t really encounter them unless you do stupid stuff like the above, so it’s not really an issue.

Or lose control of your sports car, flip over the edge of the road and somersault into a group of them standing around a crime scene/doughnut shop.

They don't like that.

Although the lack of surveillance in Night City and the aforementioned doughnut consumption means you just need to jog around the block to lose your wanted status: "But he squashed Macey, Sir!" "Forget it, Kowalski, he's ducked outta sight; we'll never catch him now. And no-one's going to recognise a perp with metal legs, glowing eyes, wearing combat boots, mini-skirt and a dress tuxedo with aramid reinforcement and huge embroidered 'V' on the back of it in this town."

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Aye, I did that too. :)

Noted for next playthrough ! Was so keen to finally get somewhere I could save after doing most of that section 3 times I didn't dare.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Reveal hidden contents

really cool scene with the cops replaying a hologram of a crime that occurred

so I was standing admiring that for a while, and suddenly they're pulling guns on me. Also, I eliminated a bounty nearby, which I thought was fair game, and shortly afterwards I was in trouble again, though perhaps this was because I hadn't put my gun away again.

Yes, if they think you are eyeballing them, just like with gang members they will decide you are a threat.

But not all the time.

Just now, ZOK said:

Yes, if they think you are eyeballing them, just like with gang members they will decide you are a threat.

But not all the time.

You usually get a comment from these encounters - cops will say something like 'What's this?' or 'Checking a possible threat' as they eyeball you, or actually tell you to move along before reaching for the iron. The gangs will jeer if you walk away 'Yeah, you better walk away, muchacho'. That got messy a couple of times...

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

Their threat meters above their heads also visibly fill up.

Can you remove those indicators?

That would be nice. There’s an awful lot of indicators all over the place that probably could be hidden away.

Quick question: I decided to veer off and get involved in a shoot out with some gang members and the police. Because I pride myself on law and order I shoot the perps all to hell. I did a little scanning on the dead bodies and saw some had bounties on them. Do I automatically get the eddies for those, or is there something I might hwve to do to sort that out?

I think it's just that the original RPG had the EU (or the EEC as it was then) as one of the only remaining stable economies, and Cyberpunk 2077 is remarkably faithful to the original RPG - even though it's fifty years later, they haven't revised the world that much and it's still a very eighties / early nineties vision of the future, with Japanese corporations dominating the economy. I have to say I really admire their commitment to the nineties-ness of the setting, it would have been easy for them to bolt on a few modern elements like cryptocurrency and a more modern version of the internet, but they stuck to the feel of the original.

In fact, they're commited to it to the extent that the plot of the game follows on from the scene-setting short story / adventure that the Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook included (called "Never Fade Away"), and (Act 2, Pacifica story mission spoiler) 

Spoiler

you even participate in a recreation of Never Fade Away in act 2 in one of the Johnny SIlverhand flashbacks. It even uses the same characters and some of the same dialogue as the original story, although it's much better written. That was a HUGE nostalgia rush for me; I only vaguely remember reading the story from the days when I used to play the game, but it was still an absolute thrill to play through. 

Just imagining how excited the 12 year-old me would be been to play this game makes my head spin a bit, and to be honest, the 41 year-old me is not far off either. There's a bit in Never Fade Away (which, hilariously, is set in 2013) where you stand in a run-down bar, looking out of a floor-to-ceiling window at a sunset-red cyberpunk cityscape, and I don't think I've ever seen something that better encapsulates the feel of trashy early nineties science fiction.

It's worth having a look at the Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook (you get a free pdf of it when you buy the game), just to see all the stuff they faithfully recreated in the game, and all the stuff they discreetly decided not to include.

11 minutes ago, K said:

I think it's just that the original RPG had the EU (or the EEC as it was then) as one of the only remaining stable economies

well we done fuck that one up haven't we?

18 minutes ago, K said:

I think it's just that the original RPG had the EU (or the EEC as it was then) as one of the only remaining stable economies, and Cyberpunk 2077 is remarkably faithful to the original RPG - even though it's fifty years later, they haven't revised the world that much and it's still a very eighties / early nineties vision of the future, with Japanese corporations dominating the economy. I have to say I really admire their commitment to the nineties-ness of the setting, it would have been easy for them to bolt on a few modern elements like cryptocurrency and a more modern version of the internet, but they stuck to the feel of the original.

Interesting. Maybe this is another reason why I'm finding it so reminiscent of the original Deus Ex.

I was really impressed with how close the scene with Royce was to the demo.

The proportion of the game that takes place in the open world vs. elevator/loading pause gated mini maps massively outdid my expectations based on the demo.

Is that the demo Jason is accusing of being completely fake? Or am I misreading? Because minus maybe the breakable walls that’s how the game looks and representative of the way it plays. I had actually never seen it until now. Lol 

4 minutes ago, Oz said:

Is that the demo Jason is accusing of being completely fake? Or am I misreading? Because minus maybe the breakable walls that’s how the game looks and representative of the way it plays. I had actually never seen it until now. Lol 

I think the demo was a perfectly accurate demo of how the game plays to be honest - at least when the tech doesn't do its damndest to screw things up. Actually, even the crowd dynamics are very very similar too. It's why a piece like Schreier did is incredibly damaging without having cast iron proof of what you're writing about - or, at the very least exaggerating. 

That demo does look nicer than the full game; the crowds in particular are much, much bigger - although I imagine they’re denser on PC than they are on Stadia, and the street scenes after the main square outside your apartment building are much quieter. There are features and actions that aren’t in the final game. But at the same time, it’s hardly unrepresentative or deceptive, and is clearly a work in progress, and helpfully has this emblazoned across the screen in full caps all the way through. The guy doing the voiceover even explicitly says that some of the features you’re about to see are WIP and might not make it into the game, so it’s hard to argue that you weren’t warned, even if it wasn’t obvious that a game two years from release might change a bit in the interim. 

I dunno. Gamers seem to treat work in progress reveal videos as binding contracts, and scour through them like lawyers, trying to find any divergence from the end product. I guess gamers like drama, they like scandals, and they especially like feeling like they’re exposing wrongdoing. Hence every TrueGamer’s dream is to one day expose the foulest of all deceptions - the downgrade. And obviously, once gamers have got the scent of a downgrade, they’ll never give up looking for it, and never stop banging on about it in the comment sections of websites, hence the demand for this kind of slightly tenuous revelation in expose articles. 

Yeah I think the biggest issue with the demo wasn't what was shown but that it took a big chunk of dev time to deliver. I've worked on projects myself where demos are a double-edged sword, they help for marketing and selling your vision, but a lot of extra work has to be done to get them up to scratch. Its like releasing a finished game, you want to eliminate as many bugs as possible, you might end up spending time making custom UI and systems just for the demo and essentially its almost like a standalone product in itself, which can pull a lot of resources from development of the actual thing its promoting.

K can you enlighten us as to some of the significant things from the original Cyberpunk sourcebook that didn't make it into the game? Were some of them controversial for example?

There’s another gang called the DJs:

3106ACFB-4B93-44BB-A4CC-3BF0D5CED0AD.jpeg

Terrifying, I’m sure you’ll agree. But for all that, the Voodoo Boys, the Tyger Claws, and the Valentino’s are all in the original sourcebooks, they’re just portrayed in a slightly cooler, more convincing way in the game. 

I find that design for the DJs breathtaking. Hoping for a DJ expansion. I have lost track of which act I am on. I can tell you what I last did. Is this act 3 now? 

Spoiler

I just finished what seems like the last core voodoo boys mission. I really hated the antagonist. He managed to get under my skin. I was very happy that I was so overpowered that my overwatch nearly blew his head off in one shot. That’s what you get. you fucking french wanker! 

I just visited an AI beyond the black wall who gave me a plan to kill me so I could be re-sleeved into this body without Jonny. She was preem.

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

@Oz you may want to spoiler tag your second paragraph. :)

That’s right. I got caught spoiling the game. :facepalm: You either die a hero. So am I in act 3? Don’t know what people were on about. This game is long. 

2 hours ago, K said:

That demo does look nicer than the full game; the crowds in particular are much, much bigger - although I imagine they’re denser on PC than they are on Stadia, and the street scenes after the main square outside your apartment building are much quieter.

They are that big on a PC on the highest settings - although I actually turned them down a bit because I found it so busy as to be distracting.

They haven't really coded the correct levels of how busy it should be into different areas, so on PC on max crowd setting you'd be in what should be quiet industrial estates on the outskirts of town and the pavements would be heaving.

47 minutes ago, Oz said:

So am I in act 3? Don’t know what people were on about. This game is long.

I don't recall ever seeing "Act 3" appear on screen in three playthroughs. 

I just did Judy’s scuba bit, and somehow this was the first time I’d been on that bit of the map, that whole area is so cool - perfect for ripping along in the Caliburn.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I just did Judy’s scuba bit, and somehow this was the first time I’d been on that bit of the map, that whole area is so cool - perfect for ripping along in the Caliburn.

I remember the first time I went up there I just stood and admired the view from the dam overlooking the slum for a long time, and then I realized I was parked next to El Capitan and was like eyyy wassup bro

theres also a Beverly Hills style neighborhood with some big ole mansions with good loot inc Kerry Eurodyne’s house and a big Arasaka house that presumably gets visited in a future story mission

It’s really interesting to me how much they took from the original RPG and makes me appreciate what they’ve created even more. I’d never have realised but for it being pointed out in this thread. We played it a lot in our little RPG club but I’ve forgotten almost everything about it and what little I do recall is mixed up with Shadowrun. The crossover is fascinating.