Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Vemsie

Yeah - plus how every little out-of-the way nook and cranny is set up for rough sleeping by someone; rooftops, underpasses, containers etc.

Just not so much around Corpo Plaza.

Has anyone done the shard that you get from the drowned guy under the pier?

Spoiler

The one where you are supposed to find a cache that is by the southern most pillar supporting the overpass connecting Hayward & Pacifica?

If so, any clues on this, I am stumped.

33 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Has anyone done the shard that you get from the drowned guy under the pier?

Hide contents

The one where you are supposed to find a cache that is by the southern most pillar supporting the overpass connecting Hayward & Pacifica?

If so, any clues on this, I am stumped.

Oooh, that's a new on me, at least I think it is. 

How does the crafting work in this in terms of upgrading from rare to epic or epic to legendary? If I, say, craft Dying Night or that mad walking stick at epic status, does the resulting damage rating depend on what the damage rating is now - i.e. is it worth upgrading the weapon as much as I can, or should I save the materials for crafting the epic version?

I'm in a slightly weird situation with Widowmaker, which is currently at about 370 damage at rare level, but will be at 270 if I craft the epic version. Not hugely surprising, as the game does seem to be getting glitchier as I progress - the badlands missions with Panam had quite a lot of invisible guns and people walking in thin air, or standing in t-poses.

3 hours ago, K said:

How does the crafting work in this in terms of upgrading from rare to epic or epic to legendary? If I, say, craft Dying Night or that mad walking stick at epic status, does the resulting damage rating depend on what the damage rating is now - i.e. is it worth upgrading the weapon as much as I can, or should I save the materials for crafting the epic version?

I'm in a slightly weird situation with Widowmaker, which is currently at about 370 damage at rare level, but will be at 270 if I craft the epic version. Not hugely surprising, as the game does seem to be getting glitchier as I progress - the badlands missions with Panam had quite a lot of invisible guns and people walking in thin air, or standing in t-poses.

I don't know that item but have a look at the effects differences between them, it may be that it does +50% crit or whatever

I presume I'm not the only person who has this strange affliction with restarting games no matter how far through I am in order to do things 'right' in my mind?

I mean, it's clearly not a sane thing to do I know, but I do it nonetheless.

And I only do it with games I'm really enjoying.

And clearly, I'm now really enjoying this game!

It also lets you see all the attention to the small details lavished on the thing...there's some exquisite stuff going on in the game.

All my near constant moaning about the crowds seem to have fallen into the way-side really. I've finally been able to see them as just 'stuff in the periphery' and not to be worried about! 

13 hours ago, JoeK said:

I presume I'm not the only person who has this strange affliction with restarting games no matter how far through I am in order to do things 'right' in my mind?

I used to do this with loads of games back in the day. I'd get to know the systems and then restart thinking "right, now I can play it properly". I tend not to do that anymore.

Regarding the issues with HDR on this, what are they? I haven’t changed anything in the settings (beyond removing hud items) so I guess I’ve got it switched on, what will I notice if I switch it off?

32 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Regarding the issues with HDR on this, what are they? I haven’t changed anything in the settings (beyond removing hud items) so I guess I’ve got it switched on, what will I notice if I switch it off?

More saturation on the colour. It's quite muted in hdr.

44 minutes ago, ZOK said:

You may notice it looks less washed out. The issue with HDR in this game is that it doesn't actually use the H part of HDR. It's your normal Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) within the High Dynamic Range (HDR) spectrum.  It's what is called "fake" HDR.

Imagine the range of SDR is 1 to 6; imagine the range of HDR is 1 to 11. 1 is brightest, 6 and 11 are black respectively.  Cyberpunk (and indeed Red Dead Redemption 2) was made only for SDR. But of course HDR is a big selling point these days, CDPR felt they had to put HDR in their game. So what the devs did was put the SDR range inside the HDR range when the option for HDR is turned on by the player. And the best way to get the brights to really dazzle is to have the SDR range nearer or at the top of the HDR range, that way those bright neon lights are really bright. 

But what about blacks, and dark scenes?  Black in SDR is 6, but now we're in HDR, so that 6 turns from black to middling grey:

sdrhdr.png.93408d7c4c820614e56898c366810de8.png

The above is a very simplified version I just knocked up in Excel and Paint. :) But it's a reasonable illustration, and the end result is the same: all your dark scenes will be significantly lighter/washed out than the devs originally intended with HDR on in this game. You can play about with the HDR settings within the game, but you really are better off just switching HDR off for Cyberpunk.

SDR is how Cyberpunk is really supposed to look, and there's no getting around it.

If you want a truly excellent example of HDR in a PC game, fire up Doom Eternal. It's not as impressive in terms of atmosphere as Cyperpunk (visually Doom is very cartoony in comparison), but the implementation and options for HDR in Doom Eternal are the best I have seen. All other PC devs should take note of what id/Bethesda have done with that game's HDR.

Hope that explains it...

Thanks Thor, I've never seen that explanation before but it totally covers why the HDR in RE2: Remake is so shit too. Having it on in that game removes pretty much all the tension of the game.

Just now, Isaac said:

Thanks Thor, I've never seen that explanation before but it totally covers why the HDR in RE2: Remake is so shit too. Having it on in that game removes pretty much all the tension of the game.

No worries. I turned it off in RE2 as well. I never finished the game though, I wussed out! ;)

I'm assuming that HDR on anything other than an OLED is effectively a bit naff?

I say this in the knowledge that my recently bought 4k LED is a decent Panasonic one (40 inch) and is 'supposed' to have okay HDR but - by and large - I fail to see anything that makes me go 'ohhh, that's what the fuss is all about'. I mean, the few games I've tried on the thing all look great, but the only one where I think I might see a  difference is with Horizon: Zero Dawn?

I dunno, until a 40'' OLED comes out, I'll never really know :P 

18 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'm assuming that HDR on anything other than an OLED is effectively a bit naff?

Actually, that is incorrect. My old Samsung KS7000 "QLED" (it's a bloody LCD!) that I gave to my brother does very good HDR, it's just the black levels aren't as deep as on an OLED. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Actually, that is incorrect. My old Samsung KS7000 "QLED" (it's a bloody LCD!) that I gave to my brother does very good HDR, it's just the black levels aren't as deep on an OLED. 

Off topic I know, but are there any good comparison vids out there which show stuff with and without HDR at all? 

The problem with that is you can't do a side-by-side comparison in a vid. HDR is either on or off, you can't have say two images on the same screen and have one HDR and one SDR - your TV would have to effectively split itself in half. If you simply view an SDR image with HDR on you're back to the issue I raised earlier - washed/out brighter blacks. If you view an HDR image with HDR turned off, you'll get clipped lights and crushed blacks. 

edit: Likewise with youtube videos, to my knowledge they're either HDR or not - so you can't have a vid switch from SDR to HDR on the fly. Not yet, I believe. 

Okay, thanks for all that @Thor - I looked in the game settings and I could see how to change the HDR settings but not turn them off, so I switched them off in Stadia - now it’s night time in Pacifica and I can’t see a damn thing! :lol:

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Okay, thanks for all that @Thor - I looked in the game settings and I could see how to change the HDR settings but not turn them off, so I switched them off in Stadia - now it’s night time in Pacifica and I can’t see a damn thing! :lol:

Oooh, if HDR is off in Stadia but on in game that could result in crushed blacks, and an overly dark image. I'll check where the HDR setting is in the options tonight when I'm back home. 

Okay cheers. I mean I’ve been playing 90 odd hours with whatever was on by default, and now I’m playing at night in the underpasses of Pacifica (on an OLED in a well lit room in the day) so it might just be that’s how it’s intended to be and I’m used to it being lighter.

Not sure that all of this HDR criticism applies to the console versions? It looks pretty damn good to me on PS5 after fixing the default settings and I wouldn't say that anything appears washed out. It's a rather good demonstration of HDR in general, with all that neon all over the shop and plenty of contrast against the gloomier areas.

And I really do hope that update appears soon. I haven't generally encountered any notable gameplay bugs etc. but it's so unstable - I tend to get at least one crash per session. And this is on PS5, so it's presumably not even the memory issues that were being blamed on base consoles.

There was quite a well-timed crash last night though. I had just saved and was about to stop for the night, so before I retired I thought I'd randomly gun down some cops to see what happened, as you do. It crashed exactly as I shot the first one of them in the face point blank, which made it seem more of a(n entirely justified) moral judgement than a technical issue.

9 minutes ago, hmm said:

Not sure that all of this HDR criticism applies to the console versions? It looks pretty damn good to me on PS5 after fixing the default settings and I wouldn't say that anything appears washed out. It's a rather good demonstration of HDR in general, with all that neon all over the shop and plenty of contrast against the gloomier areas.

I’m on Stadia, so I don’t really know what version I’m playing. Is it it’s own version?

Never had a crash, out of interest.