IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Vemsie

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

There are more interesting things to do in Cyberpunk than GTA

Outside of dialogue choices mid mission though? 

Maybe people really liked selling / recycling junk items. :P 

(to be fair, I'm devil's advocating because I only played about 8 hours before giving up - I'm genuinely curious at to what people found interesting in the game)

39 minutes ago, robdood said:

Outside of dialogue choices mid mission though? 

Maybe people really liked selling / recycling junk items. :P 

(to be fair, I'm devil's advocating because I only played about 8 hours before giving up - I'm genuinely curious at to what people found interesting in the game)

The missions themselves are more than interesting enough. Just like outside of the missions and quests in the Witcher 3 I didn't enjoy anything else (other than Gwent duh). It's not like W3 combat or the horse traversal is grade A fun is it?

I'm more mocking the comparison because its a dumb lazy one to make. It's like someone coming in and saying they prefer GTA to Fallout New Vegas. Well yeah no shit they couldn't be further apart aside from being open world but I know which would I would enjoy the missions and writing more in despite the jank. The completely missable side mission which is one out of 100 that I just described is burned in me more than any GTA mission I can think of. 

55 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I dunno. In gta you have flight school, a longer campaign, post-game content eg the whole scuba thing, hunting, vehicle modification, eXtReMe sports, triathlons, there’s a lot of content that doesn’t just involve violence. I know there’s races in cyberpunk but they’re poor (try looking behind you a few times in rapid succession).

None of that shit interests me though. Shallow mini game nonsense. By that logic Yakuza shits all over GTA - the mini games there are way more involved. On the DS you could buy the 52 games in one remember! 

The loop in Cyberpunk just hit it for me. On my bike going somewhere - one of my buddy fixers calling me up and me wondering "where will this job take me" and the moment it's done fucking Judy telling me to hit her up to help her change an empire/River telling me to investigate some family shit/Pam wanting to wham bam up a rival. Fuck yeah boi.

Can stick a scuba flight school extreme sport jogging yoga nonsense up an arse all day - I want hundreds of hours of the above loop. GIVE ME INTERESTING MEAT - NO JUNK 4 ME

20 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The missions themselves are more than interesting enough. Just like outside of the missions and quests in the Witcher 3 I didn't enjoy anything else (other than Gwent duh). It's not like W3 combat or the horse traversal is grade A fun is it?

I'm more mocking the comparison because its a dumb lazy one to make. It's like someone coming in and saying they prefer GTA to Fallout New Vegas. Well yeah no shit they couldn't be further apart aside from being open world but I know which would I would enjoy the missions and writing more in despite the jank. The completely missable side mission which is one out of 100 that I just described is burned in me more than any GTA mission I can think of. 

All makes sense, but at the same time makes me wonder why bother making it open world then?

Its a loaded term that comes with its own expectations, yanno?  

The guff is what put me off tbh. I'd probably have stuck with it if it was more focused on the good bits (ie stories and choices) and ditched the fluff. 

And I guess what also irks is they could've done some cool stuff with exploring, Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow. (that fucking perma quest marker..!). Instead every baddie you kill drops so much loot, it was bit loot overload. A weird choice imo. 

I was personally hoping for an open world immersive sim (and it was kinda marketed that way to my eyes) with more of an emphasis on discovery. It just felt like I was constantly being bombarded with new quests and sub quests and people constantly phoning me. 

I guess ultimately the game felt a bit schizophrenic to me, like they made an amazing city and had a bunch of cool lore and characters but the didn't really know what they wanted to do with it. 

2 hours ago, robdood said:

I guess ultimately the game felt a bit schizophrenic to me, like they made an amazing city and had a bunch of cool lore and characters but the didn't really know what they wanted to do with it. 

I think this is pretty much the case, to be honest. I'm not sure if the developers knew whether they were making an RPG or GTA either, so they stuck in bits of both.

2 hours ago, Uzi said:

None of that shit interests me though. Shallow mini game nonsense. By that logic Yakuza shits all over GTA - the mini games there are way more involved. On the DS you could buy the 52 games in one remember! 

The loop in Cyberpunk just hit it for me. On my bike going somewhere - one of my buddy fixers calling me up and me wondering "where will this job take me" and the moment it's done fucking Judy telling me to hit her up to help her change an empire/River telling me to investigate some family shit/Pam wanting to wham bam up a rival. Fuck yeah boi.

Can stick a scuba flight school extreme sport jogging yoga nonsense up an arse all day - I want hundreds of hours of the above loop. GIVE ME INTERESTING MEAT - NO JUNK 4 ME

I don’t want junk either, and I certainly don’t want to *have* to keep going bowling with my cousin, I just want the option of doing something like that if I want. You create all these beautiful relationships, but after the conclusion of their mission thread they’re just like “Cool, swing by sometime so I can repeat the same few lines over and over.”

The lack of interaction with the environment other than as a climbing frame or gunplay arena makes me wonder what the point is. What’s the point in creating this enormous world if you can’t do anything in it? Could’ve just made it a linear series of self-contained levels like Hitman, or Mass Effect 2 for instance. It would probably have been a lot easier!

And maybe GTA is a bad comparison, because they haven’t changed or innovated much since San Andreas. What about the Saints Row series? Yes, they’re absurdist and bombastic but those games are 99% weird side content, and the side content is awesome. Stillwater & Steelport are shitty game worlds, but it doesn’t matter because they’re packed full of so much fun stuff to do. 

All makes sense, but at the same time makes me wonder why bother making it open world then?

The guff is what put me off tbh. I'd probably have stuck with it if it was more focused on the good bits (ie stories and choices) and ditched the fluff. 

And I guess what also irks is they could've done some cool stuff with exploring, Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow. (that fucking perma quest marker..!). Instead every baddie you kill drops so much loot, it was bit loot overload. A weird choice imo. 

I was personally hoping for an open world immersive sim (and it was kinda marketed that way to my eyes) with more of an emphasis on discovery. It just felt like I was constantly being bombarded with new quests and sub quests and people constantly phoning me. 

It feels simultaneously like they had too few and also too many people working on it. Too few core members to implement with skill the features that I assume kept creeping in, and too many people to run the project cohesively and in an organized fashion. Many aspects of the game are polished to a mirror sheen while others feel unfinished. 

Anyway I have to go on and hang out with Kerry Eurodyne for a few hours, see ya. I have enjoyed everyone’s opinions about this game today, even the ones that are wrong. 

It’s probably the issue I had most with the game. For something that is trying so hard to be immersive, it’s a right fucking ball ache to have people try to sell you a sodding car whilst you’re in the middle of some story. 

Pacing.

The game has none of it. You have the urgency of the main storyline coupled with the hundreds of side quests messing you up. The thing is, I can think of a fair few different ways to overcome all this without much effort at all. 

All they needed to do was give me a bell and I’d have sorted it for them easily.

3 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I dunno. In gta you have flight school, a longer campaign, post-game content eg the whole scuba thing, hunting, vehicle modification, eXtReMe sports, triathlons, there’s a lot of content that doesn’t just involve violence. I know there’s races in cyberpunk but they’re poor (try looking behind you a few times in rapid succession).

I was just reading lore and it turns out Pacifica is such a shithole because the city pulled funding to fight the Unification War. I also found out that the nuke which destroys Arasaka Tower is apparently not the same bomb that Silverhand detonates. Militech went in 7 years after him and essentially leveled all of corpo plaza, and President Kress (ex-Militech CEO) used the event to expel Arasaka from the USA. Arasaka didn’t return until the end of the Unification War when Mayor Rhyne (RIP) begged them for help as NUSA troops appeared at the southern border, which is when Arasaka sent in the aircraft carrier and ended the war. 

I just spent the entire workday reading lore, it’s so rich and fascinating. And I got paid to do it!

Guessing you didn't sell many SUV's today? 🤔

14 hours ago, hmm said:

I would dispute a bit that Bethesda have released much in the state of CP2077.

Ah, the hindsight of 10+ years of patches and 60x more powerful hardware. Every big (Bethesda/Gamebryo/whatever they're calling it now) game at launch crashed all the time, had frequent game breaking bugs, mountains of jank, and on PC had to be sometimes extensively modded and tweaked to get the controller-centric UI and batshit default settings choices fixed into a playable state.

The Tim Rogers video really hammers home how much 'story' quest gameplay is in there.

Cyberpunk apologist mode: There were only maybe four or five (out of 17 or whatever it was) decent cyberpsycho gigs, but that made it more surprising when it *was* one of the oddball ones and you were expecting the usual.

I agree about being able to do side stuff (not shit minigames, just being able to interact more normally with the everyday environments, drinking coffee, getting your hair cut, jukeboxes, whatever). The only time you ever really eat or drink in a diner is during a cutscene. The one time I thought I'd found an exception I'd triggered a mission where some punks stuck up the diner.

"There is less to do in terms of exploration [than GTA]" == "I didn't put significant time exploring the world on foot". There is SO MUCH completely missable stuff you can stumble into. Not just corpses with notes on them (although there's plenty of that), there's whole sprawling areas that you might fleetingly dip into for a main quest mission but can go back to and explore at leisure.

This stuck out to me:

"Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow."

It's not so exhaustively simulated a world that you can do this for every single brand/product in the game, but you CAN do this! Some of the corpo HQs are just exteriors/campuses (although this is already insane, near-Hitman levels of detail for stuff that you never need to visit), but there ARE some factories. workshops, mansions, drug labs etc. that are fully modelled and populated and are worth breaking in to of your own volition.

Finally going to get into this proper over Christmas, after having it in my Steam library since day one. Given all the hoo ha at launch I thought it best to let CDPR bang out a good amount of patches.

Should run and look alright with my recent upgrades as well. :) 

5 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

"Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow."

Are you saying you can do this? I didn’t realise

12 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

but there ARE some factories. workshops, mansions, drug labs etc. that are fully modelled and populated and are worth breaking in to of your own volition

Cool! What kind of stuff can you obtain this way? 

6 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

Robdood was saying it would be cool if you could do that - you can't, really, but it comes closer than most open world games in terms of having just absurd amounts of stuff built beyond a facade.

Ah ok, I read it a few times but couldn’t follow, sorry

4 hours ago, layten said:

Finally going to get into this proper over Christmas, after having it in my Steam library since day one. Given all the hoo ha at launch I thought it best to let CDPR bang out a good amount of patches.

Should run and look alright with my recent upgrades as well. :) 

It will be the best looking game you have ever played.

On a decent PC setup it is just astonishing. Nothing else out comes anywhere near.

9 hours ago, robdood said:

Cool! What kind of stuff can you obtain this way? 

Well it’s the same stuff you obtain everywhere else, which even at the legendary / iconic level is functionally meaningless.

What you always get though, and one of the key reasons to care about this stuff, is a better insight into the C2077 world. As an example, I came across an abandoned drive in cinema on my mooches which I don’t think features in a side mission (at least none I’ve done yet), and from memory, reading the stuff lying around tells the story of the closure (or something like that, it was ages ago I explored it).

These are the only real benefits to exploring, and they either interest you or they don’t.

14 hours ago, robdood said:

I was personally hoping for an open world immersive sim (and it was kinda marketed that way to my eyes)

I mean this is explicitly what the game is, right? It's literally Mankind Divided in an open world, they even have the "social battles" like that side mission where you get caught sneaking around and have to talk down the guy.

All this stuff just comes off that people have heard that the game is crap and have to keep up that narrative, but there was never an explanation why it was crap or a disappointment, so you've got people scrabbling around saying it's the worst thing ever because you can't buy coffee, or go in every building, or can't look up something on a billboard and do some incredibly arcane thing that rewards you with unique content, even though no other game does those things either.

This is another thing about the game - it’s precisely because the world is so immersive and ‘real’ in many ways, that the stuff that isn’t sticks out like a sore thumb.

I’ve wanged on about it before, but the voice acting and dialogue of NPCs is a real immersion killer. There are a million visibly different people in this world, but 25% of the time if you talk to a black woman npc it is going to prompt the exact same voice actor to say ‘what’s up in the big world’. A white woman npc will say ‘I’m waiting for a friend’ with much the same frequency. It’s obviously not possible to make you forget you are playing a game, but there are some things that are particular clangers.

I get around that by just not talking to NPCs, which if anything just helps the immersion. It's not like I wander around London striking up conversations with strangers who walk past me, and I would probably do the same thing if I lived in Night City.

I talk to people all the time in Night City…usually in the vain hope they will say something interesting.

And sometimes that does happen, for example the person at the rave who tells you that no-one knows they are an android and they are trying to keep it a secret…

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Well it’s the same stuff you obtain everywhere else, which even at the legendary / iconic level is functionally meaningless.

What you always get though, and one of the key reasons to care about this stuff, is a better insight into the C2077 world. As an example, I came across an abandoned drive in cinema on my mooches which I don’t think features in a side mission (at least none I’ve done yet), and from memory, reading the stuff lying around tells the story of the closure (or something like that, it was ages ago I explored it).

These are the only real benefits to exploring, and they either interest you or they don’t.

Those things do sound interesting - I just found the rest of the stuff, like the functionally meaningless gear you allude to, and the incessant phone calls etc a bit distracting, and pull me out of the experience more than anything. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean this is explicitly what the game is, right? It's literally Mankind Divided in an open world, they even have the "social battles" like that side mission where you get caught sneaking around and have to talk down the guy.

All this stuff just comes off that people have heard that the game is crap and have to keep up that narrative, but there was never an explanation why it was crap or a disappointment, so you've got people scrabbling around saying it's the worst thing ever because you can't buy coffee, or go in every building, or can't look up something on a billboard and do some incredibly arcane thing that rewards you with unique content, even though no other game does those things either.

Sigh. I don't like engaging with you because you post in this manner, but it's ok for me to talk about the game the way I do without you being some kind of arbiter of what's allowed, or even telling me why I think the things I do.  (keep up the narrative, fucking lol)

I'm not sure exactly why I disengaged with Cyberpunk, but having played both it and Deus Ex, something kept me going through DE but I stopped CP not long after the Act 1 heist in CP.   I found Cyberpunks combat systems are woefully meagre and unimpressive compared to DE, for one. 

I don't think it's particularly wild to want more from something, either.  I just wish CP hadn't been so cluttered with pickups and junk, because it actively put me off exploring for exploring's sake once I realised you just keep finding the same shit everywhere. 

As I said in another thread, I kinda wish CP had been a visual novel or something, as I just found the rest of what you do uninspired/boring. 

That's not keeping up a narrative, it's just my experience.  For what it's worth, it feels like the same reasons I didn't finish Witcher 3, or any Rockstar game since Vice City! 

As others have said, in the real world I don't walk into every building, talk to random people on the street and get bothered all day with phone calls from people trying to get me to do shit. I'm not trying to excuse Cyberpunk for any gameplay failings, of which is has some, but this just sounds like the game equivalent of picking at a hole in a jumper then complaining it's getting bigger. 

I thought the combat system was fine too. I never really had an issue with turning into a mantis armed, double jumping monster who would fuck up people with a pistol that could set them on fire. My son played the entire thing never even throwing a grenade or taking a weapon other than a non-lethal sniper rifle and hacking his way through it. I would hurl a grenade at someone if they looked at me funny. It just felt like the game said "have fun" to me, rather than the developers had failed in any way. 

I liked the clutter of junk, and stuff to do. I'm glad it wasn't a visual novel. I'm not sure how much I can realistically demand for a game developed on today's tech over such a long time period. I'm glad it exists in its current form and enjoy it immensely. Nobody is gatekeeping people or telling people what to think, but challenging the general vibe that quite a lot of people seem to have higher expectations on this product than they do for other games and asking them to justify that. 

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

keep playing

On 30/11/2021 at 12:58, JoeK said:

I think if a world's convincing, I'd argue that wandering around in it is just as pleasant an experience than actual gameplay. 

Hell, I spent hours upon hours walking around Skyrim with that music on.

As a sight-seeing tour, Cyberpunk is right up there - the amount of detail in the city is pretty astonishing. 

Now, I don't think that's enough for the long-term, but it definitely helps I guess.

I have my balls blown clean off each and every time I fire the game up. This was my 'killer app launch title' for my new RTX card last year, and the novelty still hasn't worn off. Raytracing is like a modern day glasses-free 3DS moment, for me at least.

I too was a RT nay-sayer after that early Battlefield footage of it chugging along at 20FPS. I don't think I've ever experienced such a 180 in personal opinion before.