IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

I’ve been using the boosted jump ankles for the entire game (ie hundreds of hours) and on a whim yesterday I swapped them for the hover ankles I’ve been carting around in my knapsack for eons…is there any point to them? They just seem to give you an ability you have no real use for.

13 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve been using the boosted jump ankles for the entire game (ie hundreds of hours) and on a whim yesterday I swapped them for the hover ankles I’ve been carting around in my knapsack for eons…is there any point to them? They just seem to give you an ability you have no real use for.

Nah, shite. Boost or double-jump ftw.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Tip: get maneuvering system or whatever it's called from Arroyo, and you can boost jump > midair dodge > boost jump in midair. Takes a bit of practice but it doubles your vertical reach. Combine with Kerenzikov and smart weapon for hilariously Matrix-style combat moves.

27 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I haven’t used dodge in the game at all, or Kerenzikov, or Sandivistan (or whatever it’s called) - I don’t know what it does or how to set it up!

Kerenzikov slows time when you dodge while ADS, vaulting, or sliding. Vanilla dodge is really good for avoiding fast melee attacks you don't feel comfortable blocking, moving between cover quickly, and also Evasion. Evasion is a passive attribute based on a % score, that basically determines enemy accuracy. The higher your Evasion, the more shots your enemies will miss. There is a perk that increases your evasion whenever you dodge, and there is a Legendary mod that increases your Evasion by 15% until you unequip it. Maneuvering System actually increases the range of your dodge slightly, so it's more like a leap than a step.

There are a couple other cool pieces of cyberware also, and I think they go in the same slot so you have to decide - one piece slows down time when someone starts to detect you, and one piece reboots the optics of anyone who successfully detects you once every X seconds. If you have a cyberdeck that allows quickhacks to spread, you can walk around hostile areas quite lazily while entire groups of enemies go temporarily blind as you slice their heads off with mantis blades. Top bants.

Sandevistan is a replacement for the cyberdeck that slows time. You buy them from ripperdocs and they usually have a minimum Reflexes attribute score. Different brands and rarities will give you different % slowdown (you're still able to move fairly normally, but the enemies are all in slow-mo) for different lengths of time with different cooldowns. There's a ripperdoc in NW Downtown or Corpo Plaza selling a Sandevistan that slows time down to like 10% or something crazy so you can clear an entire platoon with well-placed headshots or shanks. The drawback of that one is that the duration is shorter and the cooldown is longer. There are others that offer a better balance.

The drawback of the Sandevistan is that you cannot install any Quickhacks on it, so you can forget compelling entire groups of enemies to kill themselves, and you will never hack another camera as long as you have it installed. I don't believe you can even hack objects to cause distractions. I had fun with it for an hour before I loaded a previous save and continued frying people's brains.

Anyway, sorry to keep bumping this thread with these essays.

Dodge slowing down time can be handy, but I don't use it often. I don't think I ever used a sandivistan either, as Flosh clearly illustrates above, they're one note, and limit the fun you can have. Why anyone would go for that I'll never know.

In other news, I think I prefer the new look they gave Keanu as some optional free dlc:

51735217252_1e7409e018_h.jpg

51736685424_d2fd8d503a_h.jpg

51736276593_32173011bc_h.jpg

Don't worry, I'm not going to spam the thread with loads of pics, I have a whole thread of those from last year. Just felt like sharing these. :) 

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Kerenzikov slows time when you dodge while ADS, vaulting, or sliding. Vanilla dodge is really good for avoiding fast melee attacks you don't feel comfortable blocking, moving between cover quickly, and also Evasion. Evasion is a passive attribute based on a % score, that basically determines enemy accuracy. The higher your Evasion, the more shots your enemies will miss. There is a perk that increases your evasion whenever you dodge, and there is a Legendary mod that increases your Evasion by 15% until you unequip it. Maneuvering System actually increases the range of your dodge slightly, so it's more like a leap than a step.

There are a couple other cool pieces of cyberware also, and I think they go in the same slot so you have to decide - one piece slows down time when someone starts to detect you, and one piece reboots the optics of anyone who successfully detects you once every X seconds. If you have a cyberdeck that allows quickhacks to spread, you can walk around hostile areas quite lazily while entire groups of enemies go temporarily blind as you slice their heads off with mantis blades. Top bants.

Sandevistan is a replacement for the cyberdeck that slows time. You buy them from ripperdocs and they usually have a minimum Reflexes attribute score. Different brands and rarities will give you different % slowdown (you're still able to move fairly normally, but the enemies are all in slow-mo) for different lengths of time with different cooldowns. There's a ripperdoc in NW Downtown or Corpo Plaza selling a Sandevistan that slows time down to like 10% or something crazy so you can clear an entire platoon with well-placed headshots or shanks. The drawback of that one is that the duration is shorter and the cooldown is longer. There are others that offer a better balance.

The drawback of the Sandevistan is that you cannot install any Quickhacks on it, so you can forget compelling entire groups of enemies to kill themselves, and you will never hack another camera as long as you have it installed. I don't believe you can even hack objects to cause distractions. I had fun with it for an hour before I loaded a previous save and continued frying people's brains.

Anyway, sorry to keep bumping this thread with these essays.

That is really helpful, thanks - but it does also highlight how broken the balance is. I mean I haven’t dodged, blocked or any of that fancy stuff in the whole game, because if you build for strength, speed and blades you just run round everyone with a katana lopping off heads and limbs like greased lightning. You want me to block what? Oh look your arms fell off.

As I’m close to polishing this off I might have to start again and try to build the opposite of what I feel like doing naturally all the time, and see how that works out.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

That is really helpful, thanks - but it does also highlight how broken the balance is. I mean I haven’t dodged, blocked or any of that fancy stuff in the whole game, because if you build for strength, speed and blades you just run round everyone with a katana lopping off heads and limbs like greased lightening. You want me to block what? Oh look your arms fell off.

As I’m close to polishing this off I might have to start again and try to build the opposite of what I feel like doing naturally all the time, and see how that works out.

:lol: it takes a while, but it isn't super hard to get an empowering build going. The early few hours on Very Hard are really punishing, as I rediscovered last night.

My 1st playthrough was mostly spent sneaking around and snapping necks or just using System Reset because I kept dying in every firefight due to bad PS4 graphics, bad default stick control settings, bad thumbs. It got quite boring and felt cheap after a while, so for my 2nd playthrough I went all-out silenced revolver, which also felt cheap after a while - I did 400,000 damage with a headshot last night! 3rd time around I decided to eschew the silencer and go in blasting with pistols and a double-barreled shotgun, which while lacking any kind of subtlety is much more intense and rewarding when you succeed.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Dodge slowing down time can be handy, but I don't use it often. I don't think I ever used a sandivistan either, as Flosh clearly illustrates above, they're one note, and limit the fun you can have. Why anyone would go for that I'll never know.

In other news, I think I prefer the new look they gave Keanu as some optional free dlc:

51735217252_1e7409e018_h.jpg

51736685424_d2fd8d503a_h.jpg

51736276593_32173011bc_h.jpg

Don't worry, I'm not going to spam the thread with loads of pics, I have a whole thread of those from last year. Just felt like sharing these. :) 

Man, I am obsessed with the photo mode in this, my V is essentially doing solo gigs to find opportunities to enrich her burgeoning street photography career, or for just snapping moody selfies:

C8318D1C-DE1F-49E8-B2EB-F10D6775045E.thumb.jpeg.608f047ee6dabdb8a18bbeba5d5b3953.jpeg

It’s one thing that annoys me about Stadia captures, they compress them to fuck on their site and as far as I know you can’t download the proper res versions.

Something that tickled me in the Action Button review is that Rogers was yukking about how come there is so much clothing detail in a game where you never see your character - but if you are rinsing photomode, V’s current look is always present in your mind, even though you play in first person.

@Thor not my cup of tea, he looks a bit tryhard hardcore band with that cut but beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. One thing I noticed in late game hanging out with Kerry, and after the finale in my Expensive Clothes is that this game has this weird kind of aesthetic going on for the wealthy. It's like if Saudi Arabia hosted their own version of Coachella - everything is a little "alternative" witchy Nashville rock-scene but with this opulent edge that's all shiny gold leggings and snakeskin shoes. I kind of love it.

PS Glad you've returned at least temporarily to this thread, I know you love this game and rinsed it a bunch of times.

@ZOK Or indeed if you love riding around on motorcycles. You also get a FMV cutscene with your character if you choose one of the endings where you surrender control to Johnny (temporarily or not) although the lighting is shit. It was really trippy seeing my V talk and gesticulate from someone else's perspective, when I'd lived behind her eyes for 100 hours.

8 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I got a series s the other week and bought this in the sale. Great so far. Just done the Heist mission early on.

You’re in for a real treat then. Part One is pretty dull compared to the game when it really opens up.

On 13/12/2021 at 18:30, Floshenbarnical said:

A week ago I would have agreed with you, but I just spent 40 hours clearing Watson and Northside of icons before I even went into Vic's office and it was hands-down my favorite gaming experience ever.

I did it all on foot :lol:  and what I learned is that I'm pretty sure the game was designed to be played this way. It turns the game into an old-school dungeon crawler, or what I imagine playing the tabletop game is like. Instead of being a serious of isolated open-world events that you teleport between in a vehicle, the game becomes much more focused and linear and the risk of ambush, failure, death, becomes much more real if you can't simply pull a U-turn and head the other way. Also, the game seems to be much better at matching enemies to your level at side quests/ hustles, whereas it's a dice-roll on the street - some of the toughest enemies I've faced were some random asshole milling around by a burning oil drum.

So during those 40 hours I had a lot of thoughts, and I wanted to share them.

I'm going to spoiler the rest of my post because it's essentially a love letter to revolvers, Northside, and the value of quality footwear.

Reveal hidden contents

I started off doing side quests before meeting Vic because I wanted to pay him the €$21000 up front rather than take advantage of his good nature. So I wandered off with my starting pistol and essentially roleplayed the 6 months between the prologue and the start of Act I. I only used a vehicle a couple of times, to avoid backtracking several miles because some of the blue icons in Northside are really spread out. I wanted to role-play a bit and actually enjoy the city before the ludonarrative dissonance kicks in when you learn your time is running out.

So I would sleep at my apartment until about 7pm, put on some clothes and leave. I'd stop by a couple of clothing stores and gun stores to see if there were any new pieces since my last excursion and then I'd use the crafting menu to upgrade my gear for the night, which I wouldn't change  or upgrade until the morning. I liked doing it this way because it would mean I'd start the night fresh and prepared, and then the game would get progressively harder as the night wore on and my gear became under leveled. After my gear was ready it'd be just about dark, so I'd pick a cluster of yellow and blue icons and hit the sidewalk. I'd get involved in pretty much whatever I stumbled across, take in the sights, pay attention to my surroundings. At daybreak, I'd summon my bike (I went straight to the garage that houses the free bike you get at the conclusion of The Highwayman) and ride home, park in the garage, ride the elevator back home to shower and sleep.

I also gave myself a couple of rules:

1. Nothing cheesy, so no tagging enemies and then ganking them through walls with a Nekomata or Burya.

2. I could only save immediately before an encounter, so no quicksaving every time you stealth-kill an enemy in case you fuck up 2 seconds later and want to reload.

3. I could only load a previous save if I had died, or if stealth was required to get a mission bonus. This meant that every encounter was a white-knuckle ride; soften up a big group of enemies with a couple of stealth kills and then if/ when you get spotted, it's absolute fucking carnage until either everyone is dead or I am. This led to many, many intense shootouts, retreating when necessary, flanking, sprinting sliding and dodging between cover, pushing when appropriate (I discovered pretty quickly that revolvers give you the best survivability on Very Hard - you need the highest per-shot damage possible, so you can pop out and nail headshots. Anything with high DPS but low per-shot damage just isn't viable until later when you improve your Crit Chance because you have to spend too much time out of cover to do any meaningful damage. BUT there is a huge damage fall-off with revolvers until you get the perk that removes it, so the best way to play is to be in close, nail headshots, dance around like Muhammed Ali, and use the environment against your enemies. It's incredibly high-risk/ high-reward, and very exciting and enjoyable when successful. I should also add one of the reasons I have to get in close is because my aim is shit but my positioning and use of the environment is very good.)

4. The only mods I could use, once I found gear that had slots for them, were ones that don't increase my armor or damage, so they're almost exclusively Zero Drag.

5. I pretty quickly got rid of all my long guns and just kept my revolver, because it annoys me that equipped weapons don't appear on your body.

The reason I enjoyed being on foot so much is because at early levels on Very Hard, on foot, Night City becomes a very intimidating, dangerous place. You are incredibly squishy and your damage output is appalling. If you're not driving, the game routes you through backalleys, tunnels, underpasses, staircases, all places where Tyger Claws and Maelstrom members hang out in numbers. Especially in Northside, which is lit by a creepy orange glow at night, with Maelstrom roadblocks of burning cars and general mayhem. Northside really is a nightmare part of town and in my opinion it's the one they put the most love into. It's a rat's nest of interconnected alleys, loading bays, derelict buildings, burning cars, with well-armed cyborg freaks lurking around every corner muttering and cackling and shooting guns in the air. There's a lot of dialogue and NPC interaction that seems exclusive to each cluster of enemies and it doesn't really repeat very often - if you're driving around in a car on surface streets you miss all this stuff. By the time you've pulled up, gotten out of your car, and gotten within earshot, the dialogue or behavior has already procced and you've missed it. Sometimes it's a conversation you'll never hear again, sometimes it's a reference to something you recently did. I once overheard some Scavs talking about the Big Dude and Little Poser Bitch that came for the Dorsett woman.

Additionally, all of the side quest and NCPD scanner locations kind of work like self-contained units with a lot of design put into them regarding stealth routes, hackable equipment, patrol routes, so they're often easier than street encounters where you just have your wits and the environment to rely upon. You have to be hyper-aware and paranoid the whole time, because the wrong blunder down the wrong alley at the wrong time can result in instadeath.

Being on foot in the middle of nowhere also means you run into way more of those flashing-badge dynamic events than you do in a police car. It sort of turns the game into Far Cry 2, where the main challenge in the game is just getting to your destination in an extremely hostile environment. By the time I get where I'm going I'm low on ammo and (role-play wise) exhausted. Also, due to how much retreating and flanking you have to do, you frequently end up aggro-ing a nearby bunch of people, so these random firefights escalate until you've got half the neighborhood after you and you finally take them all out by the skin of your teeth. It also makes the premise, lore, and city make sense. The city is the Wild West as soon as you get away from the main roads, it's dark, there's no one to help you, and you can really get the sense of how the city started out with bright intentions but quickly descended into corruption and disrepair.

Your amazing lack of survivability and inability to simply drive away from trouble transforms every turn you make into a difficult choice. Do you take a shortcut through this dark alleyway, hop some fences, cross the train yard, risking an encounter with some gangoons who vastly outlevel you, or do you go the long way around the enormous block and add an extra ten minutes to your journey? If, when taking a shortcut through some creepy shithole, you do encounter a group of gangoons do you engage them or try to get around them? If you try to sneak by them, you might get spotted and ganked in the back while you're unprepared. But if you decide to engage them, you risk alerting every borg psycho in the neighborhood and get quickly surrounded. In these moments you realize that the voice in your head asking these questions is you, becoming your own Dungeon Master. 

It's also when you're on foot that you realize the city was designed to be experienced that way. Almost every block has two or three confusing, claustrophobic  shortcuts winding through it and each other, most of them populated by hostiles, and they're all exquisitely designed in intricate detail with so much stuff to look at and listen to. Pretty much every blue or yellow icon has an on-foot shortcut connecting them that seems to have been designed with the expectation that you'll go that way, and it's here that you can see the tabletop RPG influence on the game, which you miss if you're just screaming around on wheels. The game becomes the journey, rather than what you do at the destination. I think that's why the game felt so empty at times - all the stuff I was missing just happened to be outside the windows of my Mizutani. Somebody in this thread suggested this game would be more successful if it was more linear, with fewer open-world GTA aspirations, and I finally agree. They should have added a fuel mechanic to the game, and made it really expensive.

One particularly memorable experience that stood out to me last night was this super lengthy firefight that took place somewhere in Kabuki amongst all those winding tunnels, staircases, basketball courts, pedestrian overpasses. I literally was just trying to get to the Tyger Claw clothing stall after a Street Cred milestone, and I quickly found myself surrounded by no less than twenty Tyger Claws, all high-level nutters with automatic weapons and all sorts of other nonsense, pinched in this tunnel that leads up a staircase and around all these winding alleyways with very poor visibility, lots of bad angles (for me) to get rushed by melee opponents, trapped by grenades, all while the Wushu Dolls guitar riff pounded in my eardrums. It might actually have been the most exhilarating gaming moment of my life and it all happened while I was trying to go buy a bra :lol: It must have been ten minutes until the shooting stopped and I was running on fumes having been fighting for my life, taking and surrendering ground up and down tight corridors, dodging grenades, switching to my electric baton to defend against seemingly-invincible melee attackers, Short-Circuit and Reboot Optics constantly on cool-down I was using them so much just to give myself a second to breathe and heal. After my final shot rang out, and my final opponent's brains succumbed to gravity and fell to the ground, I took a second to breathe a sigh of relief and hit square to dump out my six empty shells.

It's a real shame that the game lets you get so overpowered so quickly, because it removes a lot of the fear and anxiety that comes from playing on even Very Hard. The balancing early on is perfect - it's punishing, sure, but it forces you to use every tool at your disposal just to survive a street fight. That kind of evaporates later in the game when you can casually hose people down or Suicide everyone to death with quickhacks and are built like a tank.

tl;dr

- Play on Very Hard

- Don't go see Vic until you've run out of things to do

- Revolver

- Flashbangs

- Maelstrom are terrifying

- You can't afford petrol, leave your car at home.

I've just tried this and - holy shit! I think this is the game CD Projekt wanted me to be playing.

Despite the fact that I had to work hard to ignore what they wanted me to do to get this experience.

Thanks man.

On 13/12/2021 at 18:30, Floshenbarnical said:

A week ago I would have agreed with you, but I just spent 40 hours clearing Watson and Northside of icons before I even went into Vic's office and it was hands-down my favorite gaming experience ever.

I did it all on foot :lol:  and what I learned is that I'm pretty sure the game was designed to be played this way. It turns the game into an old-school dungeon crawler, or what I imagine playing the tabletop game is like. Instead of being a serious of isolated open-world events that you teleport between in a vehicle, the game becomes much more focused and linear and the risk of ambush, failure, death, becomes much more real if you can't simply pull a U-turn and head the other way. Also, the game seems to be much better at matching enemies to your level at side quests/ hustles, whereas it's a dice-roll on the street - some of the toughest enemies I've faced were some random asshole milling around by a burning oil drum.

So during those 40 hours I had a lot of thoughts, and I wanted to share them.

I'm going to spoiler the rest of my post because it's essentially a love letter to revolvers, Northside, and the value of quality footwear.

Hide contents

I started off doing side quests before meeting Vic because I wanted to pay him the €$21000 up front rather than take advantage of his good nature. So I wandered off with my starting pistol and essentially roleplayed the 6 months between the prologue and the start of Act I. I only used a vehicle a couple of times, to avoid backtracking several miles because some of the blue icons in Northside are really spread out. I wanted to role-play a bit and actually enjoy the city before the ludonarrative dissonance kicks in when you learn your time is running out.

So I would sleep at my apartment until about 7pm, put on some clothes and leave. I'd stop by a couple of clothing stores and gun stores to see if there were any new pieces since my last excursion and then I'd use the crafting menu to upgrade my gear for the night, which I wouldn't change  or upgrade until the morning. I liked doing it this way because it would mean I'd start the night fresh and prepared, and then the game would get progressively harder as the night wore on and my gear became under leveled. After my gear was ready it'd be just about dark, so I'd pick a cluster of yellow and blue icons and hit the sidewalk. I'd get involved in pretty much whatever I stumbled across, take in the sights, pay attention to my surroundings. At daybreak, I'd summon my bike (I went straight to the garage that houses the free bike you get at the conclusion of The Highwayman) and ride home, park in the garage, ride the elevator back home to shower and sleep.

I also gave myself a couple of rules:

1. Nothing cheesy, so no tagging enemies and then ganking them through walls with a Nekomata or Burya.

2. I could only save immediately before an encounter, so no quicksaving every time you stealth-kill an enemy in case you fuck up 2 seconds later and want to reload.

3. I could only load a previous save if I had died, or if stealth was required to get a mission bonus. This meant that every encounter was a white-knuckle ride; soften up a big group of enemies with a couple of stealth kills and then if/ when you get spotted, it's absolute fucking carnage until either everyone is dead or I am. This led to many, many intense shootouts, retreating when necessary, flanking, sprinting sliding and dodging between cover, pushing when appropriate (I discovered pretty quickly that revolvers give you the best survivability on Very Hard - you need the highest per-shot damage possible, so you can pop out and nail headshots. Anything with high DPS but low per-shot damage just isn't viable until later when you improve your Crit Chance because you have to spend too much time out of cover to do any meaningful damage. BUT there is a huge damage fall-off with revolvers until you get the perk that removes it, so the best way to play is to be in close, nail headshots, dance around like Muhammed Ali, and use the environment against your enemies. It's incredibly high-risk/ high-reward, and very exciting and enjoyable when successful. I should also add one of the reasons I have to get in close is because my aim is shit but my positioning and use of the environment is very good.)

4. The only mods I could use, once I found gear that had slots for them, were ones that don't increase my armor or damage, so they're almost exclusively Zero Drag.

5. I pretty quickly got rid of all my long guns and just kept my revolver, because it annoys me that equipped weapons don't appear on your body.

The reason I enjoyed being on foot so much is because at early levels on Very Hard, on foot, Night City becomes a very intimidating, dangerous place. You are incredibly squishy and your damage output is appalling. If you're not driving, the game routes you through backalleys, tunnels, underpasses, staircases, all places where Tyger Claws and Maelstrom members hang out in numbers. Especially in Northside, which is lit by a creepy orange glow at night, with Maelstrom roadblocks of burning cars and general mayhem. Northside really is a nightmare part of town and in my opinion it's the one they put the most love into. It's a rat's nest of interconnected alleys, loading bays, derelict buildings, burning cars, with well-armed cyborg freaks lurking around every corner muttering and cackling and shooting guns in the air. There's a lot of dialogue and NPC interaction that seems exclusive to each cluster of enemies and it doesn't really repeat very often - if you're driving around in a car on surface streets you miss all this stuff. By the time you've pulled up, gotten out of your car, and gotten within earshot, the dialogue or behavior has already procced and you've missed it. Sometimes it's a conversation you'll never hear again, sometimes it's a reference to something you recently did. I once overheard some Scavs talking about the Big Dude and Little Poser Bitch that came for the Dorsett woman.

Additionally, all of the side quest and NCPD scanner locations kind of work like self-contained units with a lot of design put into them regarding stealth routes, hackable equipment, patrol routes, so they're often easier than street encounters where you just have your wits and the environment to rely upon. You have to be hyper-aware and paranoid the whole time, because the wrong blunder down the wrong alley at the wrong time can result in instadeath.

Being on foot in the middle of nowhere also means you run into way more of those flashing-badge dynamic events than you do in a police car. It sort of turns the game into Far Cry 2, where the main challenge in the game is just getting to your destination in an extremely hostile environment. By the time I get where I'm going I'm low on ammo and (role-play wise) exhausted. Also, due to how much retreating and flanking you have to do, you frequently end up aggro-ing a nearby bunch of people, so these random firefights escalate until you've got half the neighborhood after you and you finally take them all out by the skin of your teeth. It also makes the premise, lore, and city make sense. The city is the Wild West as soon as you get away from the main roads, it's dark, there's no one to help you, and you can really get the sense of how the city started out with bright intentions but quickly descended into corruption and disrepair.

Your amazing lack of survivability and inability to simply drive away from trouble transforms every turn you make into a difficult choice. Do you take a shortcut through this dark alleyway, hop some fences, cross the train yard, risking an encounter with some gangoons who vastly outlevel you, or do you go the long way around the enormous block and add an extra ten minutes to your journey? If, when taking a shortcut through some creepy shithole, you do encounter a group of gangoons do you engage them or try to get around them? If you try to sneak by them, you might get spotted and ganked in the back while you're unprepared. But if you decide to engage them, you risk alerting every borg psycho in the neighborhood and get quickly surrounded. In these moments you realize that the voice in your head asking these questions is you, becoming your own Dungeon Master. 

It's also when you're on foot that you realize the city was designed to be experienced that way. Almost every block has two or three confusing, claustrophobic  shortcuts winding through it and each other, most of them populated by hostiles, and they're all exquisitely designed in intricate detail with so much stuff to look at and listen to. Pretty much every blue or yellow icon has an on-foot shortcut connecting them that seems to have been designed with the expectation that you'll go that way, and it's here that you can see the tabletop RPG influence on the game, which you miss if you're just screaming around on wheels. The game becomes the journey, rather than what you do at the destination. I think that's why the game felt so empty at times - all the stuff I was missing just happened to be outside the windows of my Mizutani. Somebody in this thread suggested this game would be more successful if it was more linear, with fewer open-world GTA aspirations, and I finally agree. They should have added a fuel mechanic to the game, and made it really expensive.

One particularly memorable experience that stood out to me last night was this super lengthy firefight that took place somewhere in Kabuki amongst all those winding tunnels, staircases, basketball courts, pedestrian overpasses. I literally was just trying to get to the Tyger Claw clothing stall after a Street Cred milestone, and I quickly found myself surrounded by no less than twenty Tyger Claws, all high-level nutters with automatic weapons and all sorts of other nonsense, pinched in this tunnel that leads up a staircase and around all these winding alleyways with very poor visibility, lots of bad angles (for me) to get rushed by melee opponents, trapped by grenades, all while the Wushu Dolls guitar riff pounded in my eardrums. It might actually have been the most exhilarating gaming moment of my life and it all happened while I was trying to go buy a bra :lol: It must have been ten minutes until the shooting stopped and I was running on fumes having been fighting for my life, taking and surrendering ground up and down tight corridors, dodging grenades, switching to my electric baton to defend against seemingly-invincible melee attackers, Short-Circuit and Reboot Optics constantly on cool-down I was using them so much just to give myself a second to breathe and heal. After my final shot rang out, and my final opponent's brains succumbed to gravity and fell to the ground, I took a second to breathe a sigh of relief and hit square to dump out my six empty shells.

It's a real shame that the game lets you get so overpowered so quickly, because it removes a lot of the fear and anxiety that comes from playing on even Very Hard. The balancing early on is perfect - it's punishing, sure, but it forces you to use every tool at your disposal just to survive a street fight. That kind of evaporates later in the game when you can casually hose people down or Suicide everyone to death with quickhacks and are built like a tank.

tl;dr

- Play on Very Hard

- Don't go see Vic until you've run out of things to do

- Revolver

- Flashbangs

- Maelstrom are terrifying

- You can't afford petrol, leave your car at home.

I think you've just inspired me to start another playthrough you beautiful bastard!

@K @Minion @Festoon glad to hear it, be prepared to purchase an extra controller to replace the one you throw at the wall. Just buy it ahead of time, then you can keep playing. I'm a glutton for punishment though, I once completed Far Cry 2 on the hardest difficulty using only the starting pistol and shotgun.

Spoiler

I finally did The Heist last night, and following my "no reloading saves until deceased" policy I had to shoot my way out of there because I immediately got spotted at the beginning of the stealth section following your plummet from the penthouse. I completely forgot there was a camera looking at the first guy in the hallway. It was pretty intense. I had no idea that you have to fight some giant fucking robot in the lobby if you get spotted. It took forever because the best weapon I had was Kongou, which sucks, and my armor rating was about as impenetrable as a packet of crisps. I decided to stick around in the parking garage and waste everyone, which once again took forever. There's barely any cover in that area except for parked vehicles, which it turns out will explode if Very Hard enemies shoot them for a few seconds.

1 minute ago, Fallows said:

Speaking of the game balance, have any PC players tried anything like this yet?

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3010

I might give it a bash. I'm usually reluctant to try anything like this without existing widespread acclaim. The number of endorsements looks promising.

i watched a 30 minute video review of it and decided to buy a PC

11 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

i watched a 30 minute video review of it and decided to buy a PC

Welcome to the club. That's what Skyrim did to me.

I think I'm settling on this one, which seems to be a tad more subtle: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/1712?tab=description

EDIT: JFC... This guy has some extremely sweet mods. I've downloaded them all, pretty much. The 'Lifepath Bonuses and Gang-Corp Traits' one sounds especially amazing.

I usually love my first-person RPG games to run in real-time, or as close as... but this one right here actually syncs CP2077 to your system clock. I'll buy that for a dollar.

Here's my list so far:

Untitled-1.png

EDIT: OMFG, this one!

4 hours ago, Fallows said:

Just when I thought I was done...

THEY PULLED ME BACK IN etc

I'll have to give that a watch when i'm not at work. I played for an hour last night following the heist and subsequent forced lollygagging and it is now officially Too Easy, in Japantown at least. It's a shame because my time in Act I was nails hard and great fun, whereas yesterday I went steaming through Japantown like every Tyger Claw was made of pudding. I might have to test my mettle in Corpo Plaza and give those jokers the good news.

I made my HUD like 2018, but better.

ui1.png

The minimap automatically toggles on whenever I get into a car. :) Alternatively, via. a manual key press.

I think there should be a way to hide the vacant quickslots. Might have to have a rummage.

This Scavenger boss is absolutely brutal with these tweaks. I'll have to return tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

THEY PULLED ME BACK IN etc

I'll have to give that a watch when i'm not at work. I played for an hour last night following the heist and subsequent forced lollygagging and it is now officially Too Easy, in Japantown at least. It's a shame because my time in Act I was nails hard and great fun, whereas yesterday I went steaming through Japantown like every Tyger Claw was made of pudding. I might have to test my mettle in Corpo Plaza and give those jokers the good news.

6E321C88-C292-43FD-89C2-1C29445D10AE.jpeg.752e44316b6af7642049a31aaa0258c1.jpeg