IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

Plus, I would have thought that one person or a small team of people working on a mod is very different to a small team of people working on the same thing as part of an organisation of hundreds of people. My experience of working in big organisations is that one person can do a lot on their own, but on a big project it takes much longer to actually implement anything because there are so many people involved, and so many levels of decision making you’ve got to go through before something can actually be released to the public. Someone could have a go at re-balancing the game and can just release the mod and see whether people like it, but you couldn’t do that with the actual game. So I think mods give a slightly false impression of how easy it is to fix these kinds of issues - it’s not the effort involved in doing it, it’s getting a whole huge organisation to agree that it’s the correct thing to do. 

23 minutes ago, K said:

Plus, I would have thought that one person or a small team of people working on a mod is very different to a small team of people working on the same thing as part of an organisation of hundreds of people. My experience of working in big organisations is that one person can do a lot on their own, but on a big project it takes much longer to actually implement anything because there are so many people involved, and so many levels of decision making you’ve got to go through before something can actually be released to the public. Someone could have a go at re-balancing the game and can just release the mod and see whether people like it, but you couldn’t do that with the actual game. So I think mods give a slightly false impression of how easy it is to fix these kinds of issues - it’s not the effort involved in doing it, it’s getting a whole huge organisation to agree that it’s the correct thing to do. 

This. My fiancee works in marketing and anytime she tries to do the job that she was headhunted to do it has to go through 99 levels of approval including her boss, her boss' boss, her boss' boss' boss, legal, etc. A lot of this is sensible, because even if you're just selling glass you have to make sure that your thing won't crash the website, get you in legal hot water, contradict other branding or marketing efforts other departments are involved in. Can't imagine what kind of intricate spider's web game development must be.

Anyway

image.thumb.png.470fc4f4fe58caef420462aabd4edd80.png

Sorry Dum Dum

44 minutes ago, K said:

I do take your point.

I suppose you can make excuses like that for a lot of the issues with this game, too many people involved, takes too long to make decisions etc.

I think the average consumers who paid the £60 at launch were not too interested in the excuses as to why certain things had to be omitted or why there were so many performance issues with the game, bugs etc.

It is a failing of the company if those problems exist and if they cannot implement changes quickly and efficiently to add features into the game and sort problems out. They seemingly easily made the decision to release a buggy poorly performing game though and take peoples hard earned money.

2 hours ago, Sumire said:

They seemingly easily made the decision to release a buggy poorly performing game though and take peoples hard earned money.

I think that the decision to release the game as it was released was unquestionably the hardest fucking decision the company had ever made. To even consider releasing the thing in the state it was on the base consoles knowing full well the blow-back was going to be pretty catastrophic would never have been done without the need to get the money in to sate their shareholders. 

Now, I'd argue that the moment CDPR decided to go all in on enlarging their company astronomically was always going to have knock-on issues for them. Literally, the moment you get people giving you more and more money, your effective control on almost everything starts to evaporate. Too many people trying to get their oar in, and probably demanding their piece of flesh sooner rather than later. I'm going to assume they needed to do this, but I lament the fact entirely. I also think that in retrospect to even consider CDPR would actually release the holy grail that is a perfect game was terribly naïve. 

Witcher 3 is probably my favourite game ever, but it took a while to get it to that stage, and even now it's far from perfect. CDPR have never released a perfect game. Considering what they were wanting to do with Cyberpunk, there was literally no chance it was ever going to be more than a bit of a clusterfuck at release.

I dunno. There's a huge amount to admire about Cyberpunk, but from a personal point of view there are fundamental issues with how they've structured the game that won't ever be solved. You can get rid of most of the bugs - hell, on a PC there's few game breaking ones now - but the foundations of the game are going to be much harder to fix. 

Personally, I'd kind of hope they move on and do something else really. 

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

You can get rid of most of the bugs - hell, on a PC there's few game breaking ones now

There weren’t any game breaking bugs on any platform other than the base consoles on release, were there?

I mean I played Stadia from release, so a ‘PC’ version, and there weren’t any game breaking bugs present that I ever noticed, so what were they on an actual PC @JoeK? And that are still present now?

2 minutes ago, ZOK said:

There weren’t any game breaking bugs on any platform other than the base consoles on release, we’re there?

I mean I played Stadia from release, so a ‘PC’ version, and there weren’t any game breaking bugs present that I ever noticed, so what were they on an actual PC @JoeK? And that are still present now?

There were a few - a number of weird glitches and certain quest cut-scenes not triggering properly meant you'd need to reload a mission to restart the game, but you're right I never found any major things to overly hack me off on that account really. A reload usually sorted it out. 

I did have a couple of odd moments when my character decided to take a leap of faith and ended up underneath Night City, but that was quite enjoyable really...

As I say, it's more my own issues with the underlying game mechanics and how the story is done that I've never been keen on. But I harp on about that all the time, and at the end of the day I have enjoyed the game to a certain extent. 

Just no-where near as much as I wanted to and as much as I hoped I would have after W3.

Right. I mean I get that PCs can be built any old how, so will have their own foibles (so some will run the game better than others maybe); on the other hand Stadia is a ‘build’ that will be generic to everyone playing on Stadia, which avoids that - but as far as I have ever heard the majority of issues that filled up YouTube were down to it bring on systems that never had the required specs, not bugs within the code that would break the game.

There’s no doubt it should never have been on anything lower than next gen consoles - but then as we know @Floshenbarnical has rinsed it on a PS4 and it was fine for him. I’m frankly astonished though if anyone playing on a decent PC today is encountering ‘game breaking bugs’. And I’m really surprised to find that they ever did.

Let’s be clear though - my definition of a game breaking bug is like what you had in Far Cry 2 where you had to run three simultaneous save files, as post the 65 hour mark the game could decide to stop working for no reason at all. The game would actually break. Then you’d switch to one of your other saves that (fingers crossed!) would let you progress past the point of doom.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Right. I mean I get that PCs can be built any old how, so will have their own foibles (so some will run the game better than others maybe); on the other hand Stadia is a ‘build’ that will be generic to everyone playing on Stadia, which avoids that - but as far as I have ever heard the majority of issues that filled up YouTube were down to it bring on systems that never had the required specs, not bugs within the code that would break the game.

There’s no doubt it should never have been on anything lower than next gen consoles - but then as we know @Floshenbarnical has rinsed it on a PS4 and it was fine for him. I’m frankly astonished though if anyone playing on a decent PC today is encountering ‘game breaking bugs’. And I’m really surprised to find that they ever did.

Let’s be clear though - my definition of a game breaking bug is like what you had in Far Cry 2 where you had to run three simultaneous save files, as post the 65 hour mark the game could decide to stop working for no reason at all. The game would actually break. Then you’d switch to one of your other saves that (fingers crossed!) would let you progress past the point of doom.

you had that issue too???? I had to restart a play through one time many dozens of hours into it because an NPC didn’t have a dialogue option they should’ve had. I was furious. Couldn’t progress the story and the dude just stood there chewing gum interminably

Let it be said that while I did rinse it on PS4 and absolutely loved it, it was a lot like watching it through a dirty old coffee jug smeared with Vaseline and I had to be sure to drive really slowly or the environment wouldn’t load and all the textures were super low-res for what seemed like minutes and even when they loaded properly they still looked shit, it crashed every hour or two, and if I picked up too many items then the game would crash when I tried to deconstruct them in my inventory and also sometimes enemies would just be invincible for no reason

I’m not much of a graphics whore though and I can put up with a lot of jank. For instance I completed Alpha Protocol many, many times. 

I don’t know what to tell you then!

I certainly had those issues early on. I never especially worried about it at the time, and it’s certainly not something that I experience now.

Edit; in a similar vein, I have always had persistent bugs and glitches in the PC version of Red Dead 2. Loads of folk don’t seem to have ‘em, but on my machine they’re annoying enough for me to stop playing and go back to the Xbox version, which is considerably better as far as i’m concerned.

19 hours ago, JoeK said:

I think if CDPR had put in the code exactly like that mod everyone would say it’s pretty naff. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a cool thing for someone to have made, but as far as a realistic portrayal of a huge underground network, I don’t think one empty cabin cuts the mustard ;) 

It’s v1, let’s not forgot. If the developer stays on the project it’ll be populated with ticket machines and NPCs in no time. :)

I’ve been using the mod since I posted the link here and it’s pretty slick as it is. There are even working Tetris arcade machines.

13 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Vr mod for this is being released on the 24th

Aye, that's great for wandering around the streets and driving the cars, but as soon as you get to gunplay it's rubbish because it's all look-to-aim rather than aiming the gun in your hand independently of where you look. I'm a huge fan of VR, but these VR mods for games like this and GTA V are a poor halfway-house, and I won't go near them. 

7 hours ago, JoeK said:

I don’t know what to tell you then!

I certainly had those issues early on. I never especially worried about it at the time, and it’s certainly not something that I experience now.

Edit; in a similar vein, I have always had persistent bugs and glitches in the PC version of Red Dead 2. Loads of folk don’t seem to have ‘em, but on my machine they’re annoying enough for me to stop playing and go back to the Xbox version, which is considerably better as far as i’m concerned.

Not denying they existed! I think I just found it odd that I had a relatively long and smooth playthrough. The most I saw was glitching characters through walls and some combat oddities. When I would go online and see the videos of back to back insane bugs I just happened to somehow never trigger or look around enough in the right way to witness them. 

8 hours ago, Uzi said:

100 hours plus here on PC at launch and no gamebreaking/mission breaking bugs - just a few visual glitches that wouldn't be out of place in a Bethesda game.

Likewise, in fact, I found I encountered more bugs after about 50-60 hours than I did in the first 50.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Not denying they existed! I think I just found it odd that I had a relatively long and smooth playthrough. The most I saw was glitching characters through walls and some combat oddities. When I would go online and see the videos of back to back insane bugs I just happened to somehow never trigger or look around enough in the right way to witness them. 

I’m reminded of the issues people seemed to have when Half Life 2 came out. People with literally the same specs as me couldn’t get the game running properly at all, but I had no issues whatsoever! People got really worked up about it.

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

yeah it’s dope. I never bought one but I usually steal the one that’s parked outside Afterlife.

Snap, but I got sick of nicking it and it's only €$62k to buy. Wait, is that Rogue's car, have we been nicking Rogue's car the whole time? 😂

Just watched some vids of this on the latest patch (1.31?) on PS5, and yes the world is pretty and it’s mostly solid 60fps in-vehicle and out...

But they should rename it Ghost City, as there is not another car or character in the whole place. It’s hysterically empty. Is this what they had to do to get it to run smoothly? No ta. Looks absolutely ridiculous.

Wonder if console patch 1.5, or the dedicated this-gen version, will add some actual people into this bustling metropolis.

47 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Just watched some vids of this on the latest patch (1.31?) on PS5, and yes the world is pretty and it’s mostly solid 60fps in-vehicle and out...

But they should rename it Ghost City, as there is not another car or character in the whole place. It’s hysterically empty. Is this what they had to do to get it to run smoothly? No ta. Looks absolutely ridiculous.

Wonder if console patch 1.5, or the dedicated this-gen version, will add some actual people into this bustling metropolis.

Well it’s the PS4 version really.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Snap, but I got sick of nicking it and it's only €$62k to buy. Wait, is that Rogue's car, have we been nicking Rogue's car the whole time? 😂

No she has a dark green Type-66 iirc

ive shelved this until the next patch comes out. I started another play through to do the aforementioned pre-Heist grind again but was like “what am I doing” and decided to play one of the five PS5 games I’ve never really touched. 

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

I'm still sure that this was noticeably better at some point on PS5 in the middle of the run of patches. I don't know if they had to dial it back again to get framerate up enough on PS4 to satisfy Sony (and get it listed in the store again) but it certainly felt like one of the later patches then emptied everywhere out again. Presumably they have dynamic population density controls - e.g. to vary it on different spec PCs - and it was hard to see why they couldn't leave it turned up just for the backwards compatibility mode on PS5.