Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

2 hours ago, Laine said:

Is there much opportunity to sneak around in this to find alternate routes to avoid shooting loads of guys, or to sweet talk your way through missions to avoid boss fights? I do want it but I don’t actually know how much I’ll enjoy it if it is mostly shooting guys, I am bad at shooting guys. I think I am wanting this to be a bit Deus Exy and it just isn’t at all! 

if all else fails you can simply buy a Smart Gun, and suffer my disappointment 

5 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

if all else fails you can simply buy a Smart Gun, and suffer my disappointment 

Lol forgot about that. There are guns that literally aim for you. 

Also guns that shoot through cover. Also mods that highlight enemies behind walls.

It takes a bit of time, but you can play the game in a way that in anything else would look like a cheat mod was installed.

Yeah aside from the very early game where you’re still weak on the hacking front I barely fired a shot. You can be a complete ghost watching through walls as enemies panic and aggro at an unseen enemy. I still find it exhilarating.

One thing I learned a bit too late/underestimated was the tactical value of high level Ping quickhacks. You can ping a security camera from a mile away, hack it to view its feed and then chain hack cameras deeper and deeper into enemy territory until you find your prize. And then fry his and his buddies brains with a contagious suicide quickhack that spreads through the room.

After 40 hours I only just realised that the price displayed on item and upgrade components in shops (usually around E$2-3000) is referring to the cost of the vendor’s entire stock, rather than the individual cost of a single component. :facepalm:  

I’d been saving up tens of thousands of eddies to stock up on epic and legendary components for crafting and upgrading when all along I could have picked up what I needed for relative peanuts. 😫

I know some will say that crafting and upgrading can be completely ignored, but I’ve gone full-on roleplay of my V who was the engineer and mechanic of her nomad clan before she came to Night City, and scavenges and dismantles every single weapon she can get her hands on before tinkering away back in her apartment making the highest grade equipment she can. Love that shit and it’s been so satisfying gradually expanding my arsenal to become an ever more powerful and tooled-up agent of righteous retribution, bringing merciless justice to the assorted scum and villainy on the streets.

Could write thousands of words on this game (and probably will at some point) but suffice to say I’ve done and thought of little else this past week and have had a fucking phenomenal time. Cyberpunk 2077 in 2022 is a genuinely great video game.

I’m not sure I’m getting the most of the map. 

I am at a point where I need some cash, so what better way for V to help out Padre, in Jackie’s neighborhood. I have no idea how to locate him though and using the mobile is not giving me any jobs. I also don’t know how to look for the Mama Welles bar to pay a visit. Any ideas? 

I don’t understand why we can’t simply place our own custom points.

Also, my World of Cyberpunk book just arrived. Cant go around without being knowing the lore inside out! 🥰

2 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I’m not sure I’m getting the most of the map. 

I am at a point where I need some cash, so what better way for V to help out Padre, in Jackie’s neighborhood. I have no idea how to locate him though and using the mobile is not giving me any jobs. I also don’t know how to look for the Mama Welles bar to pay a visit. Any ideas? 

I don’t understand why we can’t simply place our own custom points.

Also, my World of Cyberpunk book just arrived. Cant go around without being knowing the lore inside out! 🥰

All gigs are on the map. Fixers give you 2 new ones at a time I think once you clear some. You don't need to visit a fixer in person or even contact them to do them.

Also NCPD icons lead you to gang loot of weapons/gear which you can sell and you get paid eddies. The game just throws cash at you tbh if you are clearing out the icons since they (the NCPD ones) take about 30 seconds to do.

I love the way that after three months of not playing the game, I boot it up to see how the new patch is and I literally can't remember how the fuck I control the thing :P

I am so shit.

Is it me, or in the opening 'intro' cutscene before you start the first mission proper they've added sound effects to everything? Could have sworn that aside from the music, it just played out in silence.

Obviously, the game looks glorious still, and it's literally the only game where one could argue that PC ray tracing is actually something to give a shit about!

I just learned there's no synthwave station in the game.

0/10, experience ruined.

Also, I've got a dildo as a melee weapon, which I'm using in broad daylight as the strongest nonlethal weapon I own to take down cyberpsychos without killing them. Everyone is apparently very impressed with this and my street cred is going through the roof.

This is a Saints Row game in disguise.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I just learned there's no synthwave station in the game.

0/10, experience ruined.

Also, I've got a dildo as a melee weapon, which I'm using in broad daylight as the strongest nonlethal weapon I own to take down cyberpsychos without killing them. Everyone is apparently very impressed with this and my street cred is going through the roof.

This is a Saints Row game in disguise.

On this run I tear them all apart with my bare hands

I got a motorbike last night, and then had a very pleasant time doing the tarot cards quest, which forced me to drive around all the different areas of the city and the badlands, which really gave a feel for the whole city and the different vibes and styles of the different areas.  Some very dramatic and changeable weather along the journey as well, which was nice.

It is a little bit disappointing how empty a lot of the outlying areas are.  They look great but there's literally nothing to interact with for vast swathes of the city.  It always felt a bit cheap that games like Fallout 3 would have loads of generated junk loot to pick up everywhere, but it least you felt like you were doing something as you wandered around.  I spent some time exploring some abandoned, empty warehouses, and climbing up storage towers in the oil fields, and there was literally nothing to do at all.  Nobody around, nothing to scan, nothing to hack, nothing to loot.  Not even a box of ammo to loot at the top of a long climb of several ladders.  It felt a bit like an empty stage set ready for some gameplay to be added later, but currently not in use.

Spent a few hours with the demo on Series X and had a blast, didn't crash once and after trying the start for each character type I settled on the corp one. Ended up buying a copy online thanks to some spare MS reward points and getting well into it. Hasn't crashed or had any major issues so far for and lucking forward to settling into some proper play time. Glad I didn't ruin it for myself and jump in at launch as its a really good game.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

I got a motorbike last night, and then had a very pleasant time doing the tarot cards quest, which forced me to drive around all the different areas of the city and the badlands, which really gave a feel for the whole city and the different vibes and styles of the different areas.  Some very dramatic and changeable weather along the journey as well, which was nice.

It is a little bit disappointing how empty a lot of the outlying areas are.  They look great but there's literally nothing to interact with for vast swathes of the city.  It always felt a bit cheap that games like Fallout 3 would have loads of generated junk loot to pick up everywhere, but it least you felt like you were doing something as you wandered around.  I spent some time exploring some abandoned, empty warehouses, and climbing up storage towers in the oil fields, and there was literally nothing to do at all.  Nobody around, nothing to scan, nothing to hack, nothing to loot.  Not even a box of ammo to loot at the top of a long climb of several ladders.  It felt a bit like an empty stage set ready for some gameplay to be added later, but currently not in use.

I agree, I quickly got bored of exploring the badlands. I enjoy exploring the city but I wish there were more unique things to find in hidden away places, like lore chips, NPCs with unique dialogue. You do sometimes find loot crates out there but rarely anything interesting inside. As for the empty stage syndrome, quite often side missions or gigs will take you to out of the way nooks and crannies, so maybe some of the places you found will get used in a mission at some point. It's happened to me a bunch of times.

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I find that quite realistic actually. Makes the city feel like a proper city and not just a playground for the player. And it’s literally the same with all open worlds games (if you want to exclude AC which is so overblown with stuff to do). Remember, the city in this is based on the Rockstar template, not the open world RPG template. GTAV and RDR2 for example is equally devoid of interaction the way you describe it. Besides, there’s so many little side activities you can do along the way (again, the Rockstar template :). 

Also, can anyone please explain what device hacks are? I thought they were supposed to be pre installed hacks but I’m not sure now. There’s an icon of “whistle” but wasn’t available in my list to use on enemies. Man, if there’s really something wrong with this game is the UI and it’s inability to explain things properly (or make it really convoluted to find an answer).

edit: or maybe it’s the hacks that can be enabled?

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Yeah - there are some minor tableax you can run into scattered about the place; gunfights between NPCs, crashed vehicles suggesting offscreen incidents, but it's mostly empty.

51 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I agree, I quickly got bored of exploring the badlands. I enjoy exploring the city but I wish there were more unique things to find in hidden away places, like lore chips, NPCs with unique dialogue. You do sometimes find loot crates out there but rarely anything interesting inside. As for the empty stage syndrome, quite often side missions or gigs will take you to out of the way nooks and crannies, so maybe some of the places you found will get used in a mission at some point. It's happened to me a bunch of times.

There’s loads of stuff like that out in the Badlands. But they are very big, and mostly empty.

FFS, Cyberpunk. Thought I'd give it a go yesterday as even though there's no NG+ mode yet I did still have a few things to do. Starts out and my character is completely in the nip for some reason and it was apparently because I didn't have the skill to wear legendary gear. Eh? Oh right, I need to re-spec everything and reactivate that just so I can wear my legendary Johnny outfit. Not enough perk points to unlock everything I had before, but fair enough, good reason to level up some more. So I spent a few mins deciding what to unlock with the points I had, ended on a reasonable balance. Summoned a bike so I could go home and collect a reward of some kind. Game locked up 10 seconds later. Didn't save after re-speccing so I need to do all that again.

Brilliant. Good job, guys!

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

So I spent a few mins deciding what to unlock with the points I had, ended on a reasonable balance. Summoned a bike so I could go home and collect a reward of some kind. Game locked up 10 seconds later. Didn't save after re-speccing so I need to do all that again.

Brilliant. Good job, guys!

It'll only take a few minutes to do it again, then. :)

Save often when you're playing any PC game. It doesn't matter how stable/janky they are, they always die randomly I've found. If I'd spent at least five minutes re-specing until I'm finally happy the first thing I always do is save.

8 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

You what? I spend almost all of my time on foot, trying to navigate the city on rooftops, ladders, and catwalks without using main streets and I feel like I'm constantly finding weird Easter Eggs or little lootboxes with some small treat squirreled away. For me a lot of the reward of exploring is the simple enjoyment of seeing a side of a building or alleyway or underpass that no one else sees or that you'd miss just driving around following the highlighted GPS route (I wish you could turn it off. Also wish you could turn off the yellow Do X Thing objective marker, which is still impossible over a year later). There's all sorts of unique artwork all over the place, random conversations to overhear, cool structures and pieces of architecture. It's not like if you go exploring through random parts of London you'll find a box of Ferrero Rocher at the top of every fire escape.

Like recently I was exploring either Kabuki or Northside, I forget which. I found this metal staircase that led underground, and then this whole dark atrium opened up. I could barely see anything, but I climbed about a hundred feet down to the bottom, which was piled presumably neck deep with bags of trash and random cybernetic limbs and other junk. There were two huge circular grates faintly backlit with a flickering orange glow - presumably I had found some sort of trash disposal furnace for locals. There was no loot down there. Just a creepy hidden hole in the ground full of garbage. I had to risk falling to my death to find it. It served no purpose. Almost everyone who ever plays the game will never see it. But I was captivated by it. Took me about ten minutes to climb back out.

I have some screens on my PS5, I'll dig them out later. Absolutely no idea where it was.

Anyway, this is just like my opinion, man

I dunno, the graphics only take me so far. It's a game so I want to interact with things.  Seeing a beautifully modelled bit of scenery is nice, but if there's no way of interacting with it, it feels a bit empty and dead to me, no matter how well designed / modelled / textured / lit.

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Like recently I was exploring either Kabuki or Northside, I forget which. I found this metal staircase that led underground, and then this whole dark atrium opened up. I could barely see anything, but I climbed about a hundred feet down to the bottom, which was piled presumably neck deep with bags of trash and random cybernetic limbs and other junk. There were two huge circular grates faintly backlit with a flickering orange glow - presumably I had found some sort of trash disposal furnace for locals. There was no loot down there. Just a creepy hidden hole in the ground full of garbage. I had to risk falling to my death to find it. It served no purpose. Almost everyone who ever plays the game will never see it. But I was captivated by it. Took me about ten minutes to climb back out.

I know exactly where you mean.

And both you and @Ste Pickford are right, this game is really for the explorers like us…if the exploration of this incredible digital space and what it communicates through those visuals is not enough to thrill you, then it can seem lifeless.

But this is a problem that I think comes from C2077 being so good…it’s so almost alive it feels like it should be actually alive in a way a game can never be, and it suffers all the more for that.

17 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I know exactly where you mean.

And both you and @Ste Pickford are right, this game is really for the explorers like us…if the exploration of this incredible digital space and what it communicates through those visuals is not enough to thrill you, then it can seem lifeless.

But this is a problem that I think comes from C2077 being so good…it’s so almost alive it feels like it should be actually alive in a way a game can never be, and it suffers all the more for that.

Does it have less interaction than, say, GTA V? I may remember it wrongly but you literally did very little things to interact with the environment, aside of car crashes and shooting innocents. You couldn't even talk to any NPC (which people have weirdly complained about in CP for example). All the interaction were in the main missions, which had hardly any depth - especially compared to CP.

In the morning I reached the Badlands and I went on exploring and discovered a base with really high level enemies. I decided to approach it and take my chances, when suddenly a fixer called and told me about this job. It was totally organic between exploring and stumbling up on a side mission and I totally went for it. It was very difficult to take on the enemies so I tried stealthing my way through. I took down some and hid their bodies and methodically I reached my destination, only to find out that I didn't have the strength to open it. After some panic time I used a sticky grenade and it got the job done! Unfortunately that alerted the entire base and they stormed the place I was. There was no way to fight them so I jumped to my certain death to escape, only to survive by landing on some boxes and with a sliver of health. I legged it as fast as I could with all the enemies shooting at me like crazy, jumped on my bike and I made it... barely. 

Game has many moments like that which come from just exploring and there are also the simple, calm ones, where you discover the world, items or a book in derelict buildings. I literally discovered an entire sub level of shops via an elevator at one point - my jaw dropped!

Sure, it may not have the interaction of a Fallout but it's not supposed to be Fallout, is it?

Like in The Heist mission in Act 1, that is very much on rails. But you can explore the lobby and the bar and there was five or so conversations you can eavesdrop on. And these aren't like 2 lines repeated back by an NPC with generic nonsense. They're actual full on conversations with interesting specific stories to those individuals. Completely optional, missable and yet also totally not something you have any agency or control over. The game has a very defined gameplay loop (with plenty of extreme ends of how you tackle those) but CDPR have nowhere near got enough credit for the sheer amount of detail in the world. Its fucking NUTS

Sorry going back to back because I love this game so fucking much, but while I was washing my bollocks the other day in the shower I was thinking hmmm, gamers love The Witcher 3 but really pooped all over CP2077. 

And obviously there are a zillion reasons either way for that. And I love The Witcher 3, 150ish hours in my one playthrough, Hearts of Stone is some of the best narrative in RPG fantasy history in my opinion and the lore and world building is great obviously. But the actual exploration and make up of the world itself. Ugh. Thinking back to it, it was so bland to explore in comparison to Night City. But one is a darling!

32 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Does it have less interaction than, say, GTA V? I may remember it wrongly but you literally did very little things to interact with the environment, aside of car crashes and shooting innocents. You couldn't even talk to any NPC (which people have weirdly complained about in CP for example). All the interaction were in the main missions, which had hardly any depth - especially compared to CP.

In the morning I reached the Badlands and I went on exploring and discovered a base with really high level enemies. I decided to approach it and take my chances, when suddenly a fixer called and told me about this job. It was totally organic between exploring and stumbling up on a side mission and I totally went for it. It was very difficult to take on the enemies so I tried stealthing my way through. I took down some and hid their bodies and methodically I reached my destination, only to find out that I didn't have the strength to open it. After some panic time I used a sticky grenade and it got the job done! Unfortunately that alerted the entire base and they stormed the place I was. There was no way to fight them so I jumped to my certain death to escape, only to survive by landing on some boxes and with a sliver of health. I legged it as fast as I could with all the enemies shooting at me like crazy, jumped on my bike and I made it... barely. 

Game has many moments like that which come from just exploring and there are also the simple, calm ones, where you discover the world, items or a book in derelict buildings. I literally discovered an entire sub level of shops via an elevator at one point - my jaw dropped!

Sure, it may not have the interaction of a Fallout but it's not supposed to be Fallout, is it?

Yes you are right - but it’s a fairly minimal set of interactions you are doing here if you pare them down. Which is what I mean by this game being about occupying this space. If you enjoy this space (which is currently unparalleled in video game history), it’s really a world of incredible possibility. If you’re not stimulated by it, then it isn’t.