Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

As soon as I knew where that mission was going, I just had to follow through to the end 🙈 

Spoiler

When’s the next chance I’ll get to crucify someone? It was too weird not to do it  

Yeah, I did that through to the end once, on my second playthrough, never again. In my most recent playthrough I did enough to get credits from the producer of the show, and that's all I'll do in future playthroughs. 

11 minutes ago, smac said:

It is a fascinating mission to study - I'm happily murdering people all over the map, but that's where I draw my line? Why? Still just pixels, man.

I read an article about that quest once, might have been Eurogamer, where it looks at that quest line and how it appears to be a linear quest, but in actuality it clearly offers players the choice to back out several times, with varying outcomes depending on when you back out. You don't have to go through with any of it, let alone all of it; but some people feel compelled to do so, while some actually enjoy the quest line, and others just see it as another thing do to before moving on to the next.

Spec Ops: The Line also plays on this: You can very easily stop the madness of the violence and death in that game by simply putting the joypad down, and not playing it. :) 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I read an article about that quest once, might have been Eurogamer, where it looks at that quest line and how it appears to be a linear quest, but in actuality it clearly offers players the choice to back out several times, with varying outcomes depending on when you back out. You don't have to go through with any of it, let alone all of it; but some people feel compelled to do so, while some actually enjoy the quest line, and others just see it as another thing do to before moving on to the next.

Spec Ops: The Line also plays on this: You can very easily stop the madness of the violence and death in that game by simply putting the joypad down, and not playing it. :) 

I think I got to the studio, onto the set, and noped right back outside. But yes, you definitely get several chances to back out.

I was always going to do it. I was just bummed out they (probably sensibly) disabled photo mode in that scene.  Mind you, I’m  the sort of fucker who will toss a grenade at some NPCs I’ve just mugged after completing a quest with them. I always tend to play as an agent of chaos, I spend all day every day in my real life trying to be honourable so games are escapism.  

I’ve bumped the difficulty up from normal to hard now. Combat is fun again, I’d reached a point where I was just one shotting every enemy in the game. 

0A7CB832-E377-4838-B0E8-3F1198B012AC.jpeg

I got this when Stadia was doing its deal ages ago, but haven't got around to playing the game yet. I tried it last night (on a 1gb connection) and it looked awful, with compression artifacts and muddy textures.

I read they changed something and made Stadia worse recently, right? Even so, it shouldn't look like I'm watching a video via dial-up (and this was on the 'visuals' setting, too!)

What a waste of money that turned out to be. 

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I got this when Stadia was doing its deal ages ago, but haven't got around to playing the game yet. I tried it last night (on a 1gb connection) and it looked awful, with compression artifacts and muddy textures.

I read they changed something and made Stadia worse recently, right? Even so, it shouldn't look like I'm watching a video via dial-up (and this was on the 'visuals' setting, too!)

What a waste of money that turned out to be. 

They did, but they sorted it again. I just booted it up and it seemed fine, must be a network issue.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

They did, but they sorted it again. I just booted it up and it seemed fine, must be a network issue.

Hmm, I get about 4ms ping and 1ms jitter so it shouldn't look so rough. I'll try again later but I may just bite the bullet and buy it elsewhere instead. 

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hmm, I get about 4ms ping and 1ms jitter so it shouldn't look so rough. I'll try again later but I may just bite the bullet and buy it elsewhere instead. 

They may well be reducing the level of availability of the service, I think I’ve only ever had network issues twice and both were late at night when the US would have been caning it too…so could be related to that.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

@ZOK Well this is what it looks like whenever I try it (taken just now) - that can't possibly be right? It looks awful, even in the menu!

cyberpunk.png

What is the picture supposed to be of? If you’re looking down an pitch black tunnel at midnight that might be okay! It’s not an ideal reference image. :)

But it doesn’t look right, certainly. Image captures from the Stadia app are also really compressed, so if that’s where that’s from it might be an issue also when viewing on here.

Yeah, it wasn't the best picture, just one I snapped quickly. That said, the patchy block you see in the middle is fairly representative of how it looks for me throughout.

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I now find myself thinking about the game when I’m not playing quite a lot. Are there any good places to hear/see/read about the underlying lore?

Read Mike Pondsmith's sourcebooks. He's a really good writer.

I’m 65 hours in now. Level 41, have basically used handguns since level 1 and my handgun skill is still only 17/20. Is the perk you get at 20/20 really just designed for level 50 characters because I have shot a lot of people in Night City. 

4 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I’m 65 hours in now. Level 41, have basically used handguns since level 1 and my handgun skill is still only 17/20. Is the perk you get at 20/20 really just designed for level 50 characters because I have shot a lot of people in Night City. 

Is your Reflexes attribute at 17? Any skills are limited by their governing attribute's current number.

Nope.  Reflexes have been 20 for ages.  I’ve gone 20 reflexes, 20 cool and am now filling body up to 20 (currently 16). 

It looks like I need 60k XP for level 18, 70k to go from 18 to 19, and 80k to go from 19 to 20 which unlocks the final perk.  I think I might get a couple of hundred per kill, so chipping away at that 200k remaining is gonna take forever unless I’m missing something.  I think the best thing I can do is just wander round gang areas and blasting people. 

I've just reached the point of no return. Going to mop up Judy and Panam's quest lines before I go through that, as it seems thematically right. I've not delved into psychos, earning cash for cars/apartments, any gigs at all really. I've done one race. It feels like there's a chunk of content outside of the main questline to do.

Not sure if I will or won't yet (I normally just nail a storyline and then move on), but I have absolutely loved my time in Night City. Probably up there with the original Mass Effect for me as a flawed but remarkably rewarding RPG that will stick in my memory for a long, long time after I finish it.

Replaying it now, and the city is the star; the whole thing is a complex tangle of real-feeling places.

Especially all the interstitial locations occupied by the homeless = there has been some real thought put into that. Just about anywhere that someone could carve out a space, has some form of makeshift bed on it.

I picked this up in the PSN sale last week since it was cheapo. Fancied giving it another play through for a while now, and the lure of the big screen experience on home cinema speakers got me. First play was on PC so I was expecting the PS5 version to be a massive let down technically and graffixically, but it’s been a pleasant surprise. It looks amazing. I went street kid this time, having already sampled the other two. They may as well have not bothered with a prologue for that background at all, there was so little of it. Last time I pretty much played it as a first person shooter, so this time I’m going blades and hacking. Already getting my arse handed to me by Maelstrom in the food factory :D

Hmm, I've been in to update some mods but now the graphics look all flat. I don't know, I cant put my finger on it but it doesn't look anywhere near as 'rich' as before. I think I'm getting slightly better performance now as well.

Ok, so, was "mopping a couple of side quests" has descended into a limitless amount of things to do, seemingly, and the ever present feeling of sadness that I know my time in Night City has to come at some point.

Spoiler

Panam's side quest is done, I think. She just text's to catchup since we murdered a bunch of people in a tank.

Judy is slowly building towards a revolution back at Clouds. We seem to have a plan, and ninja robots, so I'm waiting on a call to go and try to finish that up. I think it is going to go wrong.

I went to do a hit which has morphed into something weird with an ex-convict? I thought it had ended, but now I've had a phone call from Rachel to go and have a chat. We'll see. Need to finish that one up.

I've still not been to see Nix. I want to do that. 

Reformed the band and played a gig last night, so I think Johnny's sidequests are done, but now I'm investigating something for Nancy having rescued her. I want to see this one through.

Not sure what is happening with Rogue at the moment. I got Johnny's old wheels back, but Smasher wasn't there, so it seems like I need to wait for something to trigger or Smasher gets dealt with as part of the end game (seems likely). We'll see.

Delamain called me up in a mess. Ended up shutting him down and releasing his children into the world - would have gone for the middle ground but didn't have the right skill level to do that.

Still not bothered about graffiti, fights or side jobs.

I used to do the NYPD scanner hustles and the like - you often get some nice local colour. As long as you're not in a particularly tough neighbourhood.

So yeah, still doing those, this time around.

8 minutes ago, smac said:

I used to do the NYPD scanner hustles and the like - you often get some nice local colour. As long as you're not in a particularly tough neighbourhood.

So yeah, still doing those, this time around.

I had a go at a Cyberpsycho at one point many missions ago, because it was right by a destination. No matter what I did it turned into insta-death very quickly every time, so I've actively avoided those. I've done some flashing mission things locally. I'm not particularly subtle with those, tends to be lots of guns and stress relief.

Spoiler

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm in the midst of a mission tracking some kinda signal down by hacking routers. It's pretty boring, but ably demonstrates how big the map is while allowing Johnny to keep claiming I'm just tracing a dick out on the map. Could be accurate.