Jump to content

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch


Vemsie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Maybe I'm just unlucky then. So far I've experienced a clear distinction between serious main quests and non-serious side quests. Hopefully it'll add up as I continue.

To emphasize, I'd normally have dropped any other open world game at this point, so it is doing stuff right despite my nitpicks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smac said:

There's a ton of little vignettes in the badlands - not all of them lead on to anything more. But they hint at a bigger picture.

 

Empty film shoots, Miltech putting the screws on the local inhabitants to get them to move out, lots of stop and searches.


Yes I’ve seen all of those ones…another new one on me I came across recently (by the solar farms I think) was the VR suicide cult. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve still not actually finished this of course, just dragging it out because I don’t want it to end. I’ve not played it for a few weeks, I like knowing that it’s all still waiting there for me to wrap up, but reading the excellent art/lore book has pulled me back in.

 

Of course when I do play it I just run around taking in the sights…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve still not actually finished this of course...

Oh please do, I'm looking forward to seeing how your run finally plays out. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh please do, I'm looking forward to seeing how your run finally plays out. :) 


I’ll get there eventually! ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Booted this up again after an extended break, early on in the second act, and although the PC version was always OK it’s lovely to play for a few hours and get no crashes, wonky physics or stuttering, just a great game. Still find a lot of the mechanics a bit baffling but I’m just going to bash through a bunch of side missions and gigs to remember how to play than crack on with the story. 
 

Only downer is my PC turns the living room in to a sauna after a few hours in this heat :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm replaying this at quite a leisurely pace, just taking in the ray-traced, next-gen visuals and the QOL improvements. Some of it is still a mess - the UI and upgrade / crafting system is an absolute dogs dinner of incomprehensible numbers - but the difficulty and structure are hugely improved. I'm about 20hrs in, and combat (on the hard difficulty setting) is incredibly dangerous and lethal - even low-level enemies can zero you with a couple of lucky shots. Plus, the game seems to dole out gear, abilities and missions much more gradually, so I still feel like I'm scrabbling to get by and to survive.

 

I can't remember whether this was in the pre-patch game or not, but I was delighted to discover that you can switch on your high-beams in your car at night by pressing X (or square on Playstation). The feeble quality of your headlights was a major ballache when driving in the desert at night, so it's a huge relief to be able to actually see where you're going. Your headlights still don't go quite far enough, but it still makes a big difference. Plus, they've finally gotten rid of that wall of car headlights that appeared at night about a hundred yards away from you. It was a massive immersion killer, so it's great to see it resolved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JoeK said:

Have they got rid of the distant traffic jams that were in the desert at all? That was a right downer to the atmosphere.

 

Yes, that's gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

'Finished' this today, having done a ton of side quests and gigs and feeling like I'd got most of what I wanted out of it without it outstaying its welcome. I really did enjoy it far more than I expected. I think the city is a fantastic and a lot of the quest design was great, with some really memorable examples. My main takeaway from completing the storyline (no spoilers) is that, despite paying attention to the plot, by the end I didn't really understand what any particular course of action meant or the consequences I should expect. It's incredibly hard to balance all the different elements they're trying to tie up coherently, and I kind of wish they'd kept it all a bit more simple and dialled down the pretensions to profundity a bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still chipping away at this and did the Map Tan Pelem (Sp?) main story quest. Really enjoyed it and now doing the 

 

Spoiler

Johnny flashback quest with Alt and Rogue


I also still find myself gawking at how pretty this game is and can’t believe I got it for £20. I feel like I robbed CDPR’s team a bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It's ok CDPR robbed the fuck out of everyone at launch so it balances out.

did they fuck :lol:

 

The PC game, which had been displayed, looked exactly as shown, and quite frankly, played great, at launch!

 

The last gen versions should have been canned however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It's ok CDPR robbed the fuck out of everyone at launch so it balances out.

I can’t believe this narrative is still a thing. The game has always been excellent, it just needed a few superficial issues sorting out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It's ok CDPR robbed the fuck out of everyone at launch so it balances out.

They offered an unprecedented refund scheme at launch due to the state of the game which is probably the opposite of robbing. I look forward to examples of other studios like EA and Bethesda doing that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Uzi said:

They offered an unprecedented refund scheme at launch due to the state of the game which is probably the opposite of robbing. I look forward to examples of other studios like EA and Bethesda doing that. 

They were pretty much forced to. It’s the only game I can think of, especially one of such high profile, that had to taken off the PlayStation store. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They were pretty much forced to. It’s the only game I can think of, especially one of such high profile, that had to taken off the PlayStation store. 

Where were the Fallout 76 forced refunds? They weren't forced to, they did it because it was the right move. There have been countless games released that were broken at launch and automatic refunds have not been offered. They were the exception.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

Where were the Fallout 76 forced refunds? They weren't forced to, they did it because it was the right move. There have been countless games released that were broken at launch and automatic refunds have not been offered. They were the exception.

The only ‘unprecedented’ move was Sony themselves offering refunds, which is unheard of, and then removing the game outright. CDPR later issued an apology admitting they had mislead console owners by not sending out review code of the game and focussing solely on the PC version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The only ‘unprecedented’ move was Sony themselves offering refunds, which is unheard of, and then removing the game outright. CDPR later issued an apology admitting they had mislead console owners by not sending out review code of the game and focussing solely on the PC version. 

image.png.f8f781a45b2df69bf2cbfad8a7f1e316.png

 

Again, I'm awaiting an example of any other studio who did this after releasing a poor product at launch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Uzi said:

image.png.f8f781a45b2df69bf2cbfad8a7f1e316.png

 

Again, I'm awaiting an example of any other studio who did this after releasing a poor product at launch. 

I have no knowledge of other games that did/didn’t offer refunds - but I’d argue the state of affairs over Cyberpunk in terms of the backlash against the game were far, far worse than anything I’ve can remember.
 

They deliberately mislead console owners with their marketing by offering literally no footage of the game prior to launch and withholding console review code. For what is arguably the most hyped game of all time, you can surely understand why they had no choice but to refund? 

image.jpeg.c898bd3306c52110f9e1f65eff2d9d78.jpeg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I have no knowledge of other games that did/didn’t offer refunds - but I’d argue the state of affairs over Cyberpunk in terms of the backlash against the game were far, far worse than anything I’ve can remember

 

I mean that's because that backlash was completely disproportionate, CDPRs response was far better than any other company (where was EA offering refunds for Titanfall when it was unplayable for months, for instance?), and they essentially got punished by Sony removing it from sale for being more consumer-friendly than their own store policies.

 

Cyberpunk ended up being the least buggiest release for the next couple of years of Covid, yet still gets it's name dragged through the mud even though it's fucking brilliant, just because some gamers fucking love a dumb circlejerk and can never let them go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-27-law-firm-launches-investigation-into-bethesda-over-fallout-76-refund-policy#:~:text=According to the Washington DC,to bugs and technical issues.

 

People like Skyrim (the same skyrim that launched in an unplayble state on PS3 and wasn't offered refunds either)/they were bought by MS so no one cares. Same Bethesda at Fallout 76 launch to refund requests - "no lol"

 

CDPR = thieves 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

I mean that's because that backlash was completely disproportionate

Well not really when the finished product barely resembled what had been heavily marketed for the last 5+ years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Uzi said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-27-law-firm-launches-investigation-into-bethesda-over-fallout-76-refund-policy#:~:text=According to the Washington DC,to bugs and technical issues.

 

People like Skyrim (the same skyrim that launched in an unplayble state on PS3 and wasn't offered refunds either)/they were bought by MS so no one cares. Same Bethesda at Fallout 76 launch to refund requests - "no lol"

 

CDPR = thieves 

Isn’t it more that EA = scumbags, and people expected more of CDPR? 
 

I mean I don’t know, but I don’t think the controversy was blown out of proportion having witnessed the game on a base PS4. 
 

(sorry not EA, even though they are!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well not really when the finished product barely resembled what had been heavily marketed for the last 5+ years. 

In what way? I can’t really remember much of the pre-launch stuff, but it was pretty much exactly how I imagines it was going to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

In what way? I can’t really remember much of the pre-launch stuff, but it was pretty much exactly how I imagines it was going to be.

In that they only showed PC footage of the game and even that was very carefully controlled. 
 

For what it’s worth I think it’s alright. The city looked great but kind of fell apart as a simulation, but technically, on PC at least, I suppose it lived up to expectations. 
 

I’ll have to play it again some day now it’s undergone all the improvements. Just wish CPDR could make a decent user interface and inventory system. It was a problem in Witcher 3 and if anything even worse in Cyberpunk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JPL said:

In what way? I can’t really remember much of the pre-launch stuff, but it was pretty much exactly how I imagines it was going to be.

 

Look I suck this game off harder than almost anyone, with the exception perhaps of Thor, but there was definitely at least some stuff teased in the trailers that was cut from the finished game, e.g. dynamic Flathead gameplay, monorail, and some other stuff I can't remember. It was ages ago. The whole "multiple approaches to every mission" promise was also hollow - they suggested that for many missions you'd be able to either shoot your way through, sneak your way through, talk your way through, there'd be different access points to each "dungeon" etc and other than AllFoods and the Finale it just really wasn't the case. The most freedom you were ever given on a mission was to shoot your way through a linear level design or sneak your way through a linear level design.

 

The fact remains that yes, while it was a world-class game on PC with some minor cosmetic issues, it played like fermented dog diarrhea on console until it was patched properly - persistent CTD, audio bugs, visual bugs, game-breaking bugs (i.e. some quests became unfinishable), the draw distance was about nine millimeters, the roads would disappear, textures wouldn't load, certain non-critical textures (i.e. the scrolling holo adverts in the sky) were pre-PS1 resolution, the Police AI was worthless ... It wasn't all T-poses and accidental nudity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

The fact remains that yes, while it was a world-class game on PC with some minor cosmetic issues, it played like fermented dog diarrhea on console until it was patched properly

I’m not disagreeing with what you’ve typed in principle, but this bit just isn’t true at all in my experience. I played it from launch day on Series X and while it wasn’t up to the level of the trailers I’d seen, I just put that down to them wanting to show it off at its best. It’s been a while now but I can’t remember ever encountering any bugs that ruined the game for me. Yeah there were low res textures here and there and the distant block of car headlights looked pretty shit, but to call it fermented dog diarrhoea is a bit too far into the genuine concerns crew territory for me.

 

I dunno, maybe I got lucky and your experience is more typical, either way I still think it got a strange reaction when so many other games have launched in a similar state.

 

I might go back and play it actually to see what the next gen patch brought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.