Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

Fucking livid. Kotaku just ran a lazy piece about a Phantom Liberty fan theory based off of a reddit post from a few days ago, and they credited the redditor. I made the exact same post 39 days ago, and I saw the other guy's post a few days ago and called him out on it. He admitted he saw my post in PM but went ahead and posted his own because mine got no engagement. Cunts. It was my fucking idea, and now I get no meaningless internet points.

I met Panam tonight. The ride in her car was amazing, felt like when my boss and I took a drive out into deepest Nevada. Cut scenes with NPCs are usually so dry in games, but the car rides are just perfect. It was so enjoyable that the fact she didn't use the brake pedal to stop (unreasonably) bummed me out a bit.

13 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Fucking livid. Kotaku just ran a lazy piece about a Phantom Liberty fan theory based off of a reddit post from a few days ago, and they credited the redditor. I made the exact same post 39 days ago, and I saw the other guy's post a few days ago and called him out on it. He admitted he saw my post in PM but went ahead and posted his own because mine got no engagement. Cunts. It was my fucking idea, and now I get no meaningless internet points.

lolKotaku.

lolReddit.

7 hours ago, TehStu said:

I met Panam tonight. The ride in her car was amazing, felt like when my boss and I took a drive out into deepest Nevada. Cut scenes with NPCs are usually so dry in games, but the car rides are just perfect. It was so enjoyable that the fact she didn't use the brake pedal to stop (unreasonably) bummed me out a bit.

It’s a shame you’re playing it so late in its life, there were some characters whose drive bits were completely borked, the cop especially would run over screaming pedestrians on the pavement or ram the vehicle repeatedly into a wall while pouring his heart out to V. Not intentional obviously but I thought it really added to the flavour!

Hello. I've tried to keep up with this thread but it's a bit difficult. Is there some super quick points or beginners tips or whatever anyone can give me? I just did the first encounter with the creepy cyborg bastards and feel like I'm missing subtleties of the combat and stuff.

I think someone said "stack intelligence" so I've been doing that. And I've robbed the living shit out of everything that I can find as per RPG convention. Thanks in advance 😘

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Hello. I've tried to keep up with this thread but it's a bit difficult. Is there some super quick points or beginners tips or whatever anyone can give me? I just did the first encounter with the creepy cyborg bastards and feel like I'm missing subtleties of the combat and stuff.

I think someone said "stack intelligence" so I've been doing that. And I've robbed the living shit out of everything that I can find as per RPG convention. Thanks in advance 😘

You sound like me, I made a very similar post a few weeks back. I didn't get quick hacking at all, and I wasn't very accurate with shooting. However, I totally found my legs with the epic katana you get when you set up a cross save on the main menu. Now, I thought I'd be even worse with this because I can't aim for shit in a FPS. Never fear, level up that blade with crafting and you hack through them so quickly they don't know what hit them. All the while, I just poured points and the yellow ones (skills?) into breach and quick hacking. Breaking up green weapons and using the bits to craft frag grenades helped, I poured those into situations to soften them up.

By about level 22 ish I'm one shotting people with hacks. Rarely use the katana now, at least for all the NCPD street gigs I'm doing. Maybe if anyone shit talks me.

I can show you my build if it would help. I'm not sure when I transitioned from "wtf am I doing" to "I'm, I'd try a different build next time" but you get it, honestly

Conversely I prefer a Cool and Reflex-focused build, using throwing knives at this point. Formerly I was a revolver guy but honestly the noise was doing my head in. The Overture is the loudest thing in the world. If you do go the blades or katana route, Cold Blood has a lot of perks that stack movement speed and crit chance and damage reduction, so the faster and quicker you kill people the faster you're able to move around and kill people. So I have Body 12, Reflexes 18, Tech 18, Cool 16, Int 5, and I have a couple attribute points I have left to allocate. Now when I throw a knife into someone's head it either instantly kills them but if it doesn't then it blinds them, staggers them, and applies bleeding and poison. So they stand there clutching their head for a little bit and then just die horribly.

A lot of people use Sandevistan in these types of build but it feels like cheating and I like hacking cameras and devices etc so I have a Legendary deck and some legendary and epic quickhacks. Even at level 5 my short circuit knocks most enemies out in one go. I tend to only use hacks if I'm reloading or all my knives are on cooldown.

There are a lot of ways to play though - I reallocated all my perks into Annihilation last night so I could grind shotgun XP having maxed out my handgun and blade skills. Shotgun builds are hilarious, it turns out. Once I've maxed that out I'll do Assault. It's good to max out levels in skill trees you don't even use because you get more perk points, but that is more of an endgame thing.

Also do not forget that you get a flat +20% XP buff if you sleep at your apartment, but it disappears if you fast travel. So if you're about to go do some side quests or main quests it's a good idea to take a nap before you head out.

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Also do not forget that you get a flat +20% XP buff if you sleep at your apartment, but it disappears if you fast travel.

Argh! Didn't know that. Is there a level cap?

Edit - wait, is that why you can buy apartments? So there's one closer for the sleep bonus?

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

For me, fast travel means having the perk that means you can run without stopping.

well yeah but not everyone is as cool as us. although I skip that perk because it makes it hard to level up Athletics.

5 hours ago, TehStu said:

Argh! Didn't know that. Is there a level cap?

Edit - wait, is that why you can buy apartments? So there's one closer for the sleep bonus?

Level cap is 50 but you can still accumulate XP once you hit it, to develop the skills you don't use and get more perk points.

After a break of at least a month (think it was longer) finally got back in to this last night for an hour. Was worried I’d struggle with the controls, and have lost a bit of interest.

Not a chance. Within five minutes I’d refreshed my memory, testament to a decent, pretty simple, control scheme, and was back exploring Night City, doing some preem hackling. Apparently I’d played 35 hours (36 now) I’m home alone today so should make that about 40 and I don’t even care about doing too much in the way of missions. It’s an astonishingly fun world to explore, with so many lovely details. Going to dig out my headphones and immerse myself fully.

Not an insightful post, just a bit more praise for what is a superb game. Love it.

Downloaded the PS5 demo back when it came out and played a little. Felt that I should wait for at least another patch, so finally bought the full game last week.

Tried to get into it last night, but definitely feels like I'm missing something.

I'm playing an early mission where I have to steal some tech (The Pickup, according to guides) and it's kicked off, but I can't fight my way out - I can gunfight okay, but I'm getting hacked every 30 seconds, which is really screwing me.

I've read that I can quick hack enemies to blind them, but not sure how. Another issue is that I can't use my health consumables most of the time during combat, with the menu just telling me that I can't do that right now (presumably because I'm hacked?).

I'm not sure if the game ever told me about these elements, perhaps when I first started playing the demo and I've forgotten.

38 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Downloaded the PS5 demo back when it came out and played a little. Felt that I should wait for at least another patch, so finally bought the full game last week.

Tried to get into it last night, but definitely feels like I'm missing something.

I'm playing an early mission where I have to steal some tech (The Pickup, according to guides) and it's kicked off, but I can't fight my way out - I can gunfight okay, but I'm getting hacked every 30 seconds, which is really screwing me.

I've read that I can quick hack enemies to blind them, but not sure how. Another issue is that I can't use my health consumables most of the time during combat, with the menu just telling me that I can't do that right now (presumably because I'm hacked?).

I'm not sure if the game ever told me about these elements, perhaps when I first started playing the demo and I've forgotten.

- hold L1 while targeting an enemy, select reboot optics. If you don’t have that, go inventory > cyberware > cyberdeck > equip reboot optics. It’s a default starting hack

- up on d-pad for health, sometimes the game doesn’t register face button presses the first time so I always double tap to heal or reload

- health consumables like you would find in the menu screen aren’t USABLE during combat. You equip Bounce Backs or MaxDocs from the inventory screen and use them in game using ^
-  maelstrom are known for netrunner attacks. While you’re getting hacked there should be a subtle orange threat indicator. If you have the Ping quickhack, netrunner outlines will be orange on-screen as opposed to reg enemies who are red. It’s a good idea to take them out first as they can hack you whenever a camera or enemy has line of sight

- if they do manage to hack you, spam up on d-pad to heal until the damage over time stops. MaxDocs are better for this than bounce backs

3 hours ago, Reynard said:

I don’t think you’ll have much (if any) ability to use cyberware for hacking enemies that early in the game.

Also please note that this first gunfight is absolute garbage, you will find it immensely frustrating and getting through it is just a pointless rite of passage the game inflicts upon you. Just stumble through it as best you can, hardly any battles throughout the game are restrictive like that, and when they are next time you’ll be a lot better equipped to bulldoze your way through.

EDIT: I see from flosh’s post you can blind them here, but really you don’t need to. Which doesn’t mean you shouldn’t!

I haven't replayed yet to try out any advice, but when trying it last night, I was stuck between taking cover, but getting hacked, or rushing who I suspected was the hacker and getting overwhelmed by enemy numbers.

In retrospect, I probably should've grinded slightly more before trying a Moderate mission, but in my defence I was just following objectives.

I think it’s generally good advice to stay away from any mission stuff for a good long while and just get a feel for the flow of the streets. As has been observed before C2077 fails abjectly to communicate its systems, and you’ll work them out for yourself eventually just by playing.

The early story is the weakest part of the game, and there’s so much to see here (like you won’t believe) that you won’t miss out by not following it.

Yup. I'm level 26 I think and street cred 50. I've spent about 50 hours mostly exploring and doing side quests. I've had an absolute blast, and finally feel like I know what I'm doing now I'm chipping away at the act 2 stuff. I know that seems absurd and you've every right to just do the main quest straight away. This is my normal way of playing these sandboxes, though. Kinda zerg through the main story when I've exhausted exploring.

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

So...when would you say it's ok to just fuck off and wander? I've done the Flathead and about to do the second part, I'd assumed this is still like the 'onboarding' part of the game.

Whenever you want. However, you will miss out on some Keanu stuff if you wander and do side quests too soon. You're still in the prologue and I'd recommend seeing that through before wandering too much. 

On 01/12/2022 at 21:23, moosegrinder said:

Is there some super quick points or beginners tips or whatever anyone can give me?

Grind for some cash. Don't spend it on anything. Go to the nearest Ripper Doc. Buy the leg implant that lets you double jump.

Congratulations, you can now scale most buildings vertically, which makes the game infinitely more enjoyable. Especially when combined with, say, a sniper rifle.

9 hours ago, Kromeo said:

Grind for some cash. Don't spend it on anything. Go to the nearest Ripper Doc. Buy the leg implant that lets you double jump.

Congratulations, you can now scale most buildings vertically, which makes the game infinitely more enjoyable. Especially when combined with, say, a sniper rifle.

Unlocked the double jump last night. Can thoroughly second this recommendation. Unlocking it also offers the small joy of occasionally catching your V’s shadow amid a double jump. V go high!

Can’t think of a game I’ve felt so immersed in since Fallout: New Vegas. Like that game, this has plenty of story but the real enjoyment comes from just heading out into the map and seeing what’s out there waiting for you.

21 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

So...when would you say it's ok to just fuck off and wander? I've done the Flathead and about to do the second part, I'd assumed this is still like the 'onboarding' part of the game.

I wish had wandered more on my first playthrough.

22 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

When you do go out for a wander, do so on  a bike. There’s a point where you get one given to you (any further detail than that is too spoilery) and it’s a good time to gun through the streets of Night City.

Plus the bikes are really fun to ride.

9 hours ago, glb said:

Can’t think of a game I’ve felt so immersed in since Fallout: New Vegas. Like that game, this has plenty of story but the real enjoyment comes from just heading out into the map and seeing what’s out there waiting for you.

I was wandering around after doing a gig last night. Going down some side streets and alleys that were literally pointless in terms of story or mechanics in general, and only really served just to be there. I wandered through these for ages until I popped out by the river and recognized where I was! Went back in and made my way up to the main road level and was presented with this:

e9f27a29-3520-40fe-9ef5-f9830fcfa07e.thumb.png.6d22c3e5cb564da1357a1291a917e9f5.png

(Series X in RT mode)

This game is just utterly astonishing. My word, I hope they do something modern based on UE5 in future, and not just Witcher games.

Yeah, my main tips for a new player would be getting double jump as soon as you can and avoiding using fast travel. There is an incredible amount of loot (and sidequests!) squirreled away in the world (albeit some small proportion of it behind doors you'll need tech skill/brute force to open). And get into the habit of using the left shoulder button to highlight loot. Pretty much every block of the map has a safe or jinguji box with a ~1000 eds tucked away somewhere and there's lots of crafting components, iconic weapons and upgrade chips up for grabs too.

You can use a tall vehicle (e.g. the Mackinaw trucks) to help climb things as well but I don't think there's anything where this is a legitimate gameplay strategy (there are always ladders, dumpsters etc. if there's a reason to get on a roof in a mission zone).

Oh and go back to mission locations once you've levelled up! The game is intentionally designed to overload you with information and story hooks in the opening acts, before you can 'read' the environment. I've gone back to places I was sure I would have picked clean while stealthing / fighting through them and have found masses of extra loot and secrets, including probably my fave iconic gun in the game (in the Arasaka warehouse area).

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

I was wandering around after doing a gig last night. Going down some side streets and alleys that were literally pointless in terms of story or mechanics in general, and only really served just to be there. I wandered through these for ages until I popped out by the river and recognized where I was! Went back in and made my way up to the main road level and was presented with this:

e9f27a29-3520-40fe-9ef5-f9830fcfa07e.thumb.png.6d22c3e5cb564da1357a1291a917e9f5.png

(Series X in RT mode)

This game is just utterly astonishing. My word, I hope they do something modern based on UE5 in future, and not just Witcher games.

Turn the GUI off, it’s making me cry!